Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

I agree, but that's part of what I mean by major restructuring. They really needed to rethink how they approached a system.

That and their Japanese division still doesn't get the US market. NOA having full control and getting to make a true online and account system in America should probably be the first thing they should do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ImpAtom posted:

The big complaint about the Mario titles are the New Super Mario Bros. games, which are the 2D Franchise entries. The first NSMB for the DS was an intentional throwback to the original Mario games, copying their designs, levels, and only with a few new power ups. It had been years since a 2D Mario games was released and so it was a nostalgic throwback to the pre-3D era. It also sold around 30 million copies, way more than any of the 3D Marios, which is basically an explanation for everything that follows.

Every single NSMB game since then has been the same thing to some degree. New Super Mario Bros Wii introduced multiplayer, which was generally praised but had little impact on the level design. NSMB2 was NSMB1 but with a goofy score attack mechanic. SMBWU was a more refined but otherwise very similar kind of game. They tend to follow the same patterns, the same general aesthetic, the same enemies, and are in many ways very similar games defined by only one or two gimmicks and a new power up.

I personally would rather have the NSMB games than not have them. I've enjoyed every entry into the series so far, and it's why I buy Nintendo consoles.

They are very identical though, and I couldn't tell you any real notable level differences between any of them with the exception of NSMB2. And that's because I've gotten the most hours out of NSMB2. I don't think that Coin Rush mode is goofy at all... I've been getting a ton of play out of it thanks to Street Pass. I'm up to 2 million coins or so. And because of that I am probably more familiar with the levels in the same way I am the classic ones in SMB3

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The_Frag_Man posted:

(...)Tablet controller / 2 screen gimmick...

The train of through might've been: "Two screens worked really well for our handhelds --> It'll work wonders for the consoles!"

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
I have a theory on how backwards compatibility is hurting Wii U sales amongst Wii owners due to perceived value.

To explain, I own a Wii U but never bought a Wii because I'm a snob and didn't like the idea of playing games in SD. The Wii U had great value for me because even though I'm a snob my kids aren't nearly so picky and I can pick up a huge back catalog of games that they'll enjoy for very cheap. Judging by Nintendo's advertising though I'm not the intended demographic. I'm not upgrading anything, I'm buying a Wii U + a Wii all in one nice little package.

Now I'd ask that you keep in mind that people value things they already own higher than market value as they like to justify their spending habits and tell themselves what smart people they are. So if someone already owns a Wii the perceived value of the Wii U's backwards compatibility would in fact be negative as it would cost them one perfectly functional, and above market value, Wii. On top of this they're feeling like they're getting a worse deal than someone like me which can leave someone feeling like they're being punished for their brand loyalty while late adopters are being rewarded.

I don't know how cost effective it would be but I think this feeling could be short circuited by offering Wii owners a trade in discount when they purchase a Wii U or even by sending them a coupon code when they register a unique Wii serial number (do systems have unique serial numbers?) This would also foster brand loyalty by allowing people that own a Wii to feel like they're being rewarded for long time Nintendo fandom rather than betrayed as they do in the current model.

Or am I way off base here?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I think the only thing about backwards compatibility that's hurting the Wii U is the fact that they way they chose to have it involved sticking with the ancient architecture they were using since the Gamecube, when they probably could have switched to one more similar to the PSBONE4 consoles (albeit a bit slower) and not be as far behind now.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You're off base and pretty much out in the parking lot if you ask me.

Like you said, you're not Nintendo's target demographic: It's the casual base who all bought a Wii cause it was the hot fad at the time. Said people don't even know what backwards compatibility means, let alone are concerned with being rewarded for being a loyal Nintendo customer. The only people who would appreciate the offer you mentioned have already bought the system, which has Nintendo is the situation they are in now.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

oneliquidninja posted:

Or am I way off base here?

Well you are coming from the perspective of somebody that never had a Wii. A lot of people don't like how the PS3/360 are not backwards compatible because they can't trade in their old systems for it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Like you said, you're not Nintendo's target demographic: It's the casual base who all bought a Wii cause it was the hot fad at the time. Said people don't even know what backwards compatibility means...

You're right, they're actually the people buying WiiU games for their Wii and not understanding why they don't work.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Astro7x posted:

Well you are coming from the perspective of somebody that never had a Wii. A lot of people don't like how the PS3/360 are not backwards compatible because they can't trade in their old systems for it.

When the PS3 came out all the consoles did support PS2 and PS1 games so trading in would have worked fine. The 360 also had and continued to have backwards compatibility for about half of the Xbox titles and the games supported got even bigger over time.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Whoops... meant to type PS4/XBO.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
Well my thought was that it's like when you buy a new car. You get trade in value on your old car that's generally a bit over market value to help offset the feeling of losing out on a previous investment.

Think of that age old reason not to buy a new anything. I don't need a new Wii my old Wii is working fine. It's has HD games on it? So what, I've been just fine with SD games this whole time. Oh, they'll give me trade in value on my old Wii? Hmm.. now I'm considering it.

*edit* And while the average owner may not understand the term backwards compatibility I'm sure they're well aware of the concept of a system playing games they already have.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is it's harder to justify buying something like a blu-ray/dvd player if you already own a dvd player and that in that instance a blu-ray player by itself may look like a better value as it doesn't invalidate your previous economic decisions. If the manufacturer offered me a discount for my old dvd player though the combo would look like a better value even if the price for both was actually the same simply because it's allowing me to get something of perceived value out of my old purchase.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 24, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

oneliquidninja posted:

Well my thought was that it's like when you buy a new car. You get trade in value on your old car that's generally a bit over market value to help offset the feeling of losing out on a previous investment.

Think of that age old reason not to buy a new anything. I don't need a new Wii my old Wii is working fine. It's has HD games on it? So what, I've been just fine with SD games this whole time. Oh, they'll give me trade in value on my old Wii? Hmm.. now I'm considering it.

There's a big difference a console and a car. A car is a vital tool for everyday living. A console isn't.

Your theories only work under the assumption that casual Wii owners pay even the slightest amount of attention to gaming journalism and would even be aware of that kind of deal. You're giving casual Wii owners FAR too much credit.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Quest For Glory II posted:

When I think of titles that need to be there on the U to get all the Nintendo crowd in and not just the super hardcore Nintendo dorks, I think Pokemon, a legitimate new Zelda, I think Metroid, I think Star Fox, I think F-Zero. None of those have a Wii U installment planned at this time. The system is not well represented by all of the franchises that bring Nintendo fans in. And as a result, many Nintendo fans' preferences are not being represented.

This is from a day ago, but really? A new Zelda for Wii U was announced a while ago. Tezuka said it will challenge the idea of linear dungeon order and the need for it to be strictly single player.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AngryCaterpillar posted:

This is from a day ago, but really? A new Zelda for Wii U was announced a while ago. Tezuka said it will challenge the idea of linear dungeon order and the need for it to be strictly single player.

Sounds like Multiplayer Skyrim, which isn't a bad thing by any means.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

AngryCaterpillar posted:

A new Zelda is pretty much always announced. He may not have known that, but I think his point still has merit. The general public hasn't seen or heard absolutely anything about the game to the extent that it might as well not have been announced.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I dunno, that whole "need for it to be strictly single player" thing comes off as a half-assed compromise like seeing player ghosts ala Demon's/Dark Souls, or the bog standard Miiverse sketches and messages that pop up in Mario games.

Has Nintendo ever actually done a full-on online muliplayer game? I'm not talking local stuff, I mean netcode and beta-testing and poo poo like that.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Swapnote I guess? Was that a downloadable game or did it come as a free service with the 3DS? Art academy would probably be pretty useless too without the ability to show others your work.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

I dunno, that whole "need for it to be strictly single player" thing comes off as a half-assed compromise like seeing player ghosts ala Demon's/Dark Souls, or the bog standard Miiverse sketches and messages that pop up in Mario games.

Has Nintendo ever actually done a full-on online muliplayer game? I'm not talking local stuff, I mean netcode and beta-testing and poo poo like that.

Mario Kart DS/7/Wii are all fully online.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Brawl was online, too. The problem is few non-first party titles are (Even if they had online on other platforms) and the net code is kind of poo poo. Friends codes are awful.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mario Tennis Open, Kid Icarus Uprising, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. drat, can't think of much else. Wii Sports Club too I suppose.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mario Tennis was the shittiest, laziest, most half-assed implementation of an online mode I have ever dealt with. Then again the entire game felt like that.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The pokemon games do some online... stuff.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
I've found that the Pokémon games tend to be the most forward-looking in terms of communication features; e.g., Japanese Crystal having cellular trading, the wireless adapter included with FireRed / LeafGreen, the infrared support on the DSi-era cartridges. I'm hoping that the philosophy of encountering random Internet "passerby" is indicative of their future plans for more openness in this area, though maybe Game Freak is more comfortable with going that extra mile (as their games are very social-oriented) compared to in-house developers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mennonites Revenge posted:

I've found that the Pokémon games tend to be the most forward-looking in terms of communication features; e.g., Japanese Crystal having cellular trading, the wireless adapter included with FireRed / LeafGreen, the infrared support on the DSi-era cartridges. I'm hoping that the philosophy of encountering random Internet "passerby" is indicative of their future plans for more openness in this area, though maybe Game Freak is more comfortable with going that extra mile (as their games are very social-oriented) compared to in-house developers.

Eh, I have to take issue with this. The cellular trading was using a system initially developed for some third party games (including some that predated it and involved connecting the Game Boy to a PC for an online connection), the wireless adapter for FireRed/LeafGreen/Emerald required you and the other person to be very close to each other to get a stable connection, and the IR support on the DS-era games was only used to skip a few steps in setting up a local wifi connection.

And Pokemon X/Y missed out on a great feature from the new Animal Crossing game, namely the built in screenshot feature which tied in with a Nintendo website to simplify uploading the images to facebook/twitter/tumblr. Seems a shame that was left out, particularly with the new internet and customization features they introduced.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Install Windows posted:

And Pokemon X/Y missed out on a great feature from the new Animal Crossing game, namely the built in screenshot feature which tied in with a Nintendo website to simplify uploading the images to facebook/twitter/tumblr. Seems a shame that was left out, particularly with the new internet and customization features they introduced.

I really wish they would just make screenshots a feature of the system and you can take them for any game at any time, like the Vita does.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Multiplayer Zelda? Don't hold your breath. It'll be like kidmode in super mario galaxy. Where you can have your three year old hold the wii mote and pick up candy stars / shoot them.

The most i'd expect is you would have to mii verse ask for help which would be more annoying than useful.
Also, thank god we're back on topic of the nintendo wii U and not games in general.

So how is Nintendo reacting to their new competition? I think the thing that upsets me the most about nintendo is it has been a year and we haven't really seen poo poo for a new zelda game or anything that looks remotely interesting as a new IP from them. You can argue w101 but thats not a system seller. They need something new / exciting that will draw me in.

Tell me the next zelda / mario / nintendo game isnt going to be a three hit to the boss system where it gets slightly faster after each critical hit. Tell me Im actually going to have to hack and slash at things multiple times!
:negative:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
What do you mean "how are they going to respond to their new competition?" They released a new Mario AND a new Zelda game on the same day a rival console launched. And they put out bundles with those games with their consoles. What else did you want them to do?

And it's not like 2014 is shaping up to be a terrible year for the Wii U. Smash, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Bayonetta, and a port of Watch Dogs. That's about the same number of first party games and decent 3rd party games announced for both the ps4 and the bone.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

That loving Sned posted:

Speaking of character customisation, Tearaway lets you completely change your characters' face. No matter where or how many eyes or mouths you have, Atio or Iota will still express themselves in cutscenes.

Cool, I've thought that character customization is pretty limited for a long time. Like, why can't my character have 7 eyes, all over their body (well, okay, at least their head)? why can't I put a single eyebrow over my character's third ear? Why does the mouth have to be below the nose? Why does the nose have to be narrower than the face?

Those kinds of things could potentially make my character look dumb, but so what? And anyway, usually my gripes have been that "I just want to make the nose slightly longer, but I've already maxed out the slider"

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

oneliquidninja posted:

I have a theory on how backwards compatibility is hurting Wii U sales amongst Wii owners due to perceived value.
I don't really have much to say about the rest of your post, but for this part I just wanted to say that, as someone who's seriously thinking about buying a Wii U right now (mostly because of Cat Mario 3D World, and right now it's looking more and more likely that I will), if the Wii U wasn't backwards compatible with the Wii I wouldn't even be thinking about it. I've never owned a Wii, and the ability to play through the back catalogue of games on there (in particular, the Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime series) is a very important consideration in my decision making. But probably you're right that I'm in a very small minority in that regard.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Maybe they should just sell Wii games digitally.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Can someone from the UK please explain to me why the Brits seem to shy away from Nintendo stuff more so than people from any other (major) region?

I was checking up on how the Xbone did there and came across this:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-sells-150k-units-in-first-week-in-uk/0124857

quote:

Perhaps more tellingly this means that Xbox One is, according to the same source, now just a few thousand units short of beating the Wii U’s total UK sales accrued since its release a year ago this week.

Stock permitting Xbox One should shoot ahead of Nintendo’s machine this week. And a strong launch for PS4 this Friday could see Nintendo relegated to third place in the UK next-gen battle.

And while the 3DS was the top console there for a few months, the UK is still probably its weakest region too.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 25, 2013

Jives
May 1, 2011

Crowbear posted:

Can someone from the UK please explain to me why the Brits seem to shy away from Nintendo stuff more so than people from any other (major) region?

I was checking up on how the Xbone did there and came across this:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-sells-150k-units-in-first-week-in-uk/0124857

And while the 3DS was the top console there for a few months, the UK is still probably its weakest region too.

Because we are all tasteless wretches.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crowbear posted:

The UK is America; a bunch of people who want to play the most beautiful Football game on the market and wage America's wars.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is Nintendo the next Greece?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Crowbear posted:

It really is the whole 'Of Europe but apart from it' thing, and due to the common tongue, there's a greater liking and accessibility when it comes to American media, even if it rather admittedly doesn't always make sense. I can't cite much on likings of particular franchises beyond what I last saw at school and all (and I left some time ago), but I remember one guy getting so hyped up for the Xbox One because of, in effect, the supposed street cred it would give him.

The major thing that can pull us away from the other two big companies does seem to be Pokemon though, as Pokemon Colosseum shifted the Gamecube's hold up to a third back in the day, and this year the 2DS hit success in part because it was coupled with X and Y.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

^^If the UK followed American trends the NES/SNES would have sold far better than they did

Crowbear posted:

For the Wii U, it's partly the same as everywhere else: terrible marketing, poor image, perceived lack of online multiplayer.

Historically they've been 2nd choice behind either Sega or Sony for home consoles and never really seemed to change that. The Wii sold very well but that's kinda it?

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

Edmund Honda posted:

^^If the UK followed American trends the NES/SNES would have sold far better than they did

For the Wii U, it's partly the same as everywhere else: terrible marketing, poor image, perceived lack of online multiplayer.

Historically they've been 2nd choice behind either Sega or Sony for home consoles and never really seemed to change that. The Wii sold very well but that's kinda it?

I think Nintendo kind of ignored the UK and SEGA and Sony took full advantage of it. I never even saw a Nintendo console until I was 15, every single kid I knew had a Mega Drive and then a Playstation.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Edmund Honda posted:

Yeah the UK shares a lot of traits with the US (like their love of the 360), but not when it comes to Nintendo. Historically the US is generally one of, if not the strongest territory for Nintendo consoles. For example, 62% of all N64s and 59% of all Gamecubes were sold in "the Americas."

Edmund Honda posted:

That makes sense. I grew up in a place where the SNES was THE console, so it's weird to think that there are people buying systems these days that don't have that nostalgic connection to Nintendo.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Almost every single person I know in the UK just picked their console based on where the latest Pro Evo/Fifa was, which meant they went for the Playstation 1/Playstation 2 and then the Xbox 360. With very few of them even playing any other games.

Also shocking slightly positive WiiU words here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/25/arts/video-games/super-mario-3d-world-could-make-the-wii-u-popular.html?ref=arts&_r=1&

NY times posted:

But the Wii U is also the only new console with a video game worth playing. Super Mario 3D World, which went on sale Friday, is the best Mario game in years. It’s not just the best game for the Wii U, it’s the most entertaining game that has been released this fall for any system. (To a calendar pedant, Grand Theft Auto V went on sale in the summer.)

Long John Power fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

PrBacterio posted:

I don't really have much to say about the rest of your post, but for this part I just wanted to say that, as someone who's seriously thinking about buying a Wii U right now (mostly because of Cat Mario 3D World, and right now it's looking more and more likely that I will), if the Wii U wasn't backwards compatible with the Wii I wouldn't even be thinking about it. I've never owned a Wii, and the ability to play through the back catalogue of games on there (in particular, the Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime series) is a very important consideration in my decision making. But probably you're right that I'm in a very small minority in that regard.

I don't think its a small minority. Backwards compatibility was a big factor in my choice as well. Even if games are fewer and further between than on xbone and ps4, I can fill in some time with a wii title I got for under $20.

• Locked thread