Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This discussion is pretty funny, only because Google Play Services is one of the worst offenders of draining your battery and keeping your phone awake.

How else will Google gather data on your whereabouts and list of known associates?

hooah posted:

In general, yes, that's what we want, but you get the occasional lovely app that doesn't play nicely, and it would be handy to be able to tell the OS "Don't let this guy run in the background because he doesn't know how to behave".

So basically this:

But replace location services with "run in background" or whatever.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This discussion is pretty funny, only because Google Play Services is one of the worst offenders of draining your battery and keeping your phone awake.

You should update your phone to 4.4, Play Services is down below phone idle at 5% battery now with all location stuff turned on and at high accuracy.

vvvvv: I don't think it's the phone, Nexus 4 on 4.4 is the same story.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 23, 2013

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but both my wife and my N5's are set to high accuracy and Play Services has barely any wakelocks. Like, a few minutes over a 5 hour period. We're both getting around 20 hours of battery life with 3-4 hours of screen-on time. Right now mine is at 50% after 8 hours including 2.5 hours of screen on time, a 60 minute GPS tracked run with bluetooth streaming the whole time. There are virtually no wakelocks on the battery history details page.

I'm going to regret saying this I'm sure, but the N5 is far and away the best piece of tech I've ever owned. And I've owned a ton. Camera is only semi-good though, so there's that.

Oh and we're both using ART instead of Dalvik. It works fine, no crashes or apps that don't play nicely with it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I wonder if 4.4 uses a lot of location querying for the first few weeks and then tapers off once it gets an idea of your work/life schedule. That may be too smart for google now but then again Moto X

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
I'm probably being incredibly thick here, so apologies in advance, but... How do I enable or disable the HDR mode in the nexus 5 camera?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Freezer posted:

I'm probably being incredibly thick here, so apologies in advance, but... How do I enable or disable the HDR mode in the nexus 5 camera?
Push the button above the shutter (it's to the right in portrait mode) and it's the furthest left option.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RVProfootballer posted:

You should update your phone to 4.4, Play Services is down below phone idle at 5% battery now with all location stuff turned on and at high accuracy.
I hate to disappoint you but it has absolutely nothing to do with OS version. Lots of people have never had wakelock issues, for example. I have seen them occasionally but then they disappear again. They come and go, it's random. At least since 4.1 I have seen people make the claims that you are making, that the update has solved all the wakelock issues. Nope, just yours. Sorry. Android has lovely wakelocks, that's just how it is.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

RVProfootballer posted:

Tunga posted:

I hate to disappoint you but it has absolutely nothing to do with OS version. Lots of people have never had wakelock issues, for example. I have seen them occasionally but then they disappear again. They come and go, it's random. At least since 4.1 I have seen people make the claims that you are making, that the update has solved all the wakelock issues. Nope, just yours. Sorry. Android has lovely wakelocks, that's just how it is.

Yeah, while it's nice to just believe that being on the latest version of Android solves everything, the random wakelocks cased by Google Play Services seem to happen to a lot of different phones, on a lot of different versions of Android. It's really just down to Google fixing their poo poo. This wasn't a problem until relatively recently with all these phones getting hit with the bug.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, while it's nice to just believe that being on the latest version of Android solves everything, the random wakelocks cased by Google Play Services seem to happen to a lot of different phones, on a lot of different versions of Android. It's really just down to Google fixing their poo poo. This wasn't a problem until relatively recently with all these phones getting hit with the bug.
I had it until yesterday and all of a sudden it just dropped off. My awake bar had been solid for a few days and then out of nowhere it went back to normal, so I think it was something on Google's end. The strange thing is while it showed my phone was awake the whole time, it didn't seem to have an impact on battery life.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I had it until yesterday and all of a sudden it just dropped off. My awake bar had been solid for a few days and then out of nowhere it went back to normal, so I think it was something on Google's end. The strange thing is while it showed my phone was awake the whole time, it didn't seem to have an impact on battery life.

Mine dissappeared a day or two ago also. Came and went without warning. Hooray for silent updates, I guess?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Mine dissappeared a day or two ago also. Came and went without warning. Hooray for silent updates, I guess?
I wish I'd looked at the version Play Services was at while it was happening. Right now it's 4.0.34 (924341-38).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I've had one wakelock due to Play Services on my N5 so far so it's not entirely immune.

Also I wish I could use ART but there are dragons to be puzzled.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wait for 4.4.1 to use ART. Now that a public userbase has been able to piss all over it, I figure the big show stoppers will be fixed in the next update.

Then again, considering that Google didn't notice that WhatsApp broke doesn't really say much about their testing methodology. Even if it's not popular in the US, the download and usage numbers of it should have put it on the radar for testing the runtime.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have a Razr M that used to be a fuckin boss about its battery life but lately it's been dying fast. Is there some kind of utility I can use to find out what the gently caress is sucking up all my power?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait for 4.4.1 to use ART. Now that a public userbase has been able to piss all over it, I figure the big show stoppers will be fixed in the next update.

Then again, considering that Google didn't notice that WhatsApp broke doesn't really say much about their testing methodology. Even if it's not popular in the US, the download and usage numbers of it should have put it on the radar for testing the runtime.

Google is testing it. They put ART as a buried developer option and users have reported broken apps. My understanding is that a lot of the issues come from increased validation by ART that some apps fail.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Eej posted:

I've had one wakelock due to Play Services on my N5 so far so it's not entirely immune.

Also I wish I could use ART but there are dragons to be puzzled.

I've been using it for the past couple days (since my Moto X got its Kitkat update) and I haven't run into any issues. It might be worth giving it a shot and seeing whether any of your apps have any problems. If they do, it's easy enough to switch back to Dalvik until things get sorted.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

signalnoise posted:

I have a Razr M that used to be a fuckin boss about its battery life but lately it's been dying fast. Is there some kind of utility I can use to find out what the gently caress is sucking up all my power?

Settings -> Battery

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FogHelmut posted:

Settings -> Battery

And for more details, check out Better Battery Stats, either for money on the play store or for free from the XDA thread.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Alright goons. What's the new cool kids device on the market? I'm on Verizon and my contract is up for renewal soon. I'm using a rooted Galaxy Nexus right now, and I'll probably sell it and upgrade. I saw talk about the Nexus 5 and I know about the Moto X. Is there anything else dropping?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Gothmog1065 posted:

Alright goons. What's the new cool kids device on the market? I'm on Verizon and my contract is up for renewal soon. I'm using a rooted Galaxy Nexus right now, and I'll probably sell it and upgrade. I saw talk about the Nexus 5 and I know about the Moto X. Is there anything else dropping?

N5 but not on Verizon. Galaxy S5 and HTC One.2 will be out next summer-ish.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kreeblah posted:

I've been using it for the past couple days (since my Moto X got its Kitkat update) and I haven't run into any issues. It might be worth giving it a shot and seeing whether any of your apps have any problems. If they do, it's easy enough to switch back to Dalvik until things get sorted.

Oh no, I've tried it already and PAD does not like it at all.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm upgrading my nexus in the near future too. The Note 3 and Maxx are at the top of my list with the G2 and moto x as decent budget options. They're all awesome by all accounts but personally I'm leaning towards the Note for that big beautiful screen. Anything is gonna be an upgrade from the gnex at this point.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

While bull is the Verizon guy in this thread, I'd have to agree with him that going for something that isn't Motorola on Verizon is a bad idea.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I pulled the trigger on a Moto X. It completely blows the GNex away in every aspect. The screen is amazing, the camera is great. Everything is quick and snappy. The home screen doesn't rebuild every time I use a large app. The speaker is actually audible, and pretty decent at that. The battery lasts. Active notifications are pretty awesome. I don't know why people aren't buying this. Everything just responds and behaves like you would want and expect it to.

My only issue is that there is a small gap in the seam between the front and back panels in the bottom left corner that is big enough that I can get my fingernail between. I ordered a bumper case so that shouldn't be an issue really. As soon as an easy root method for 4.4 is available, there is no reason not to get the Moto X.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

FogHelmut posted:

I pulled the trigger on a Moto X. It completely blows the GNex away in every aspect. The screen is amazing, the camera is great. Everything is quick and snappy. The home screen doesn't rebuild every time I use a large app. The speaker is actually audible, and pretty decent at that. The battery lasts. Active notifications are pretty awesome. I don't know why people aren't buying this. Everything just responds and behaves like you would want and expect it to.

My only issue is that there is a small gap in the seam between the front and back panels in the bottom left corner that is big enough that I can get my fingernail between. I ordered a bumper case so that shouldn't be an issue really. As soon as an easy root method for 4.4 is available, there is no reason not to get the Moto X.

It's really a fantastic device. I have absolutely zero regrets going to it from a GS3.

And as a previous poster said above (at least for Android), you'd be crazy to go with anything other than the current-gen Motos on Verizon these days. They seem to be the least hosed-with, and are getting faster updates than the other makers can.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Google is testing it. They put ART as a buried developer option and users have reported broken apps. My understanding is that a lot of the issues come from increased validation by ART that some apps fail.
Maybe not so much. If you're developing a new core technology, you'd expect them to have a barrage of third apps in use for automated testing, and all of them passing said tests before releasing it to the public. Google going "Jolly gee, it doesn't run because it _surprisingly_ fails a code validation rule!" isn't exactly promising, especially when they've admitted there's a lot more apps failing the same rule.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I'm upgrading my nexus in the near future too. The Note 3 and Maxx are at the top of my list with the G2 and moto x as decent budget options. They're all awesome by all accounts but personally I'm leaning towards the Note for that big beautiful screen. Anything is gonna be an upgrade from the gnex at this point.

I had my heart set on the Note, but the more I think and read, I'm really liking the Maxx. Being so close to stock (and actually getting updates) is a huge draw for me. I think the only thing that's still pulling me toward the Note 3 is the ridiculous 3GB of RAM. My biggest gripe with my GNex (excluding the, obviously, poo poo battery life) is having things kicked out of memory while I'm using them, like SwiftKey or Google Music, and near constant homescreen redraws. I know from my N7 that 2GB is enough to prevent this, but 3 seems like it would be future proof.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

XIII posted:

I had my heart set on the Note, but the more I think and read, I'm really liking the Maxx. Being so close to stock (and actually getting updates) is a huge draw for me. I think the only thing that's still pulling me toward the Note 3 is the ridiculous 3GB of RAM. My biggest gripe with my GNex (excluding the, obviously, poo poo battery life) is having things kicked out of memory while I'm using them, like SwiftKey or Google Music, and near constant homescreen redraws. I know from my N7 that 2GB is enough to prevent this, but 3 seems like it would be future proof.

Have you done a factory reset since 4.3? I think that might actually be required to get TRIM working, which is what stops the lovely read/write performance rot that sets in over time - it might help with the memory antics, I used to get that kind of stuff happening and only a wipe would get everything back to perfect

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Have you done a factory reset since 4.3? I think that might actually be required to get TRIM working, which is what stops the lovely read/write performance rot that sets in over time - it might help with the memory antics, I used to get that kind of stuff happening and only a wipe would get everything back to perfect

Yeah, I did a full wipe when I flashed it. Honestly, it's a lot better on 4.3, but it's been worse and worse across newer versions. The entire run of 4.2 builds were horrendous.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

TRIM shouldn't need a factory reset. The file system driver knows what areas have been written to and which ones are marked as deleted. I would assume that fstrim can ask that information from it.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
On Verizon I'm waiting for the maxx to come on a deal, the x otherwise

By the next time I need a phone it will be VoLte land (probably)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The jump from a Note 2 to the Moto X is staggering. It feels so tiny and hard to type on. I do wish it was a tad larger but honestly everything else about this phone is awesome. Sprung for the white one but ordered a case because I'm worried about it turning orange from cheeto fingers.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Lblitzer posted:

The jump from a Note 2 to the Moto X is staggering. It feels so tiny and hard to type on. I do wish it was a tad larger but honestly everything else about this phone is awesome. Sprung for the white one but ordered a case because I'm worried about it turning orange from cheeto fingers.

What's even the point?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Combat Pretzel posted:

TRIM shouldn't need a factory reset. The file system driver knows what areas have been written to and which ones are marked as deleted. I would assume that fstrim can ask that information from it.

Well I'd never seen it appear in logcat until I heard people talking about wiping, a while later I did a reset and it suddenly started popping up. Kinda anecdotal but hey

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not exactly surprised, because Google.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

What's even the point?

Not all cases cover up the color of the device. I bought a clear Diztronic tpu case, their cases rock.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

Not all cases cover up the color of the device. I bought a clear Diztronic tpu case, their cases rock.

I read that it is clear-ish? The back side is frosted and only really works on white phones. Is this true?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

What's even the point?
Motomaker has clear cases and bumper cases available. Both let you see the back.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

I read that it is clear-ish? The back side is frosted and only really works on white phones. Is this true?

G-Nexus clear TPU, shiny exterior / frosted interior. N-5 clear TPU, shiny frame / frosted rear.

Smoke TPU on the N5 would look like the GN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the last s0n
Aug 12, 2013
Clear cases always remind me of people's "invisible" braces. I've always thought they were a bit weird looking.

E: just get a color that complements your phone color in the cutout areas.

• Locked thread