Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
Early PS1 shooting game with dodgy graphics sounds a lot like Blasto to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

So, this isn't so much remembering the name of a game based on a description, but... I'm going crazy attempting to identify which game this sound effect is from:
It comes @ :50 in this song.

I'm 99.9% sure it's an old arcade game, and it's a very popular one, I just can't connect the sound to a game without context.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Here's one.
An early PS1 game with dodgy graphics.
You're a guy, you run forward and shoot everything that comes at you.
Sorry, that's all I have.

I seriously thought this was a joke.

You're gonna need to tell us something more, that's just not enough. 2D? 3D? What kinda setting?

There's so many things I can think of that loosely fit that description, hmm..

Was it a rails shooter? Or Were you running side to side like in Contra? Or what?

sleepwalkers posted:

So, this isn't so much remembering the name of a game based on a description, but... I'm going crazy attempting to identify which game this sound effect is from:
It comes @ :50 in this song.

I'm 99.9% sure it's an old arcade game, and it's a very popular one, I just can't connect the sound to a game without context.

I went to :50, but I'm not sure which sound you're talking about. Electronica has all kinds of blips and bloops that sound arcadey, and most of them are actually just made up. It could be a sample, but odds are it just sounds similar.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 4, 2013

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I seriously thought this was a joke.

You're gonna need to tell us something more, that's just not enough. 2D? 3D? What kinda setting?

There's so many things I can think of that loosely fit that description, hmm..

Was it a rails shooter? Or Were you running side to side like in Contra? Or what?

I went to :50, but I'm not sure which sound you're talking about. Electronica has all kinds of blips and bloops that sound arcadey, and most of them are actually just made up. It could be a sample, but odds are it just sounds similar.

He was talking about the shootey noise but I have no idea what it's from if it IS in fact from a game.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

juliuspringle posted:

He was talking about the shootey noise but I have no idea what it's from if it IS in fact from a game.

The DJ is attempting to get people to identify the "half-second video game sample" he put in it. I feel like :50 has to be it, the bubbly noise, since it seemed familiar, but without context I s'pose I could be wrong. It comes again at 1:05. I swear it's from a game and it's been driving me crazy for the last half-hour, but the closest I've come up with is Pac Man's fruit eating SFX.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 5, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

The DJ is attempting to get people to identify the "half-second video game sample" he put in it. I feel like :50 has to be it, the bubbly noise, since it seemed familiar, but without context I s'pose I could be wrong. It comes again at 1:05. I swear it's from a game and it's been driving me crazy for the last half-hour, but the closest I've come up with is Pac Man's fruit eating SFX.

I was going to say Pac-Man. It definitely sounds like it.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Here's one.

MDK?

UlfRacoon
Aug 12, 2012
As a young one I would play this game about a yellow egg on the fancy PC.
It was a lot like Super Mario Bros gameplay wise, it had a map editor and I think I got it from some pc magazine for free. I played it around 2004. The graphics were pretty fancy for it's time.

There was also a puzzle game I played a lot which I know I got from a pc magazine.
You collected coloured keys to open doors of the same colour. You didn't ever fight, you just solved puzzles. It was a top down perspective and looked a bit like it was made in gamemaker. I played this about 2000.

I'm sorry about the vague information, but It's all I got.

UlfRacoon fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 5, 2013

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.
Cripes, we're certainly getting some low-effort requests in here lately :(

UlfRacoon posted:

The player character looked like an egg? Egg-tossing was a game mechanic (don't laugh; Yoshi's Island did this)? The object of each level was to find/retrieve an egg? There was an overarching plot about eggs?

quote:

It was a lot like Super Mario Bros gameplay wise, it had a map editor and I think I got it from some pc magazine for free. I played it around 2004. The graphics were pretty fancy for it's time.
Fancy graphics can mean a lot of things. Please elaborate. Photorealistic or rotoscoped art? Really well-drawn 2d sprites? Fluid or realistic character animations with high frame count? A unique and distinctive visual style (e.g. cartoony, cel-shaded, vectorized, etc)? Colorful backgrounds (possibly with multi-layer parallax)? Impressive HUD overlays and/or a really immersive menu system? Cool lighting, reflection, or smoke effects?

quote:

There was also a puzzle game I played a lot which I know I got from a pc magazine.
You collected coloured keys to open doors of the same colour. You didn't ever fight, you just solved puzzles. It was a top down perspective and looked a bit like it was made in gamemaker. I played this about 2000.
Anything about the setting (medieval? fantasy? modern? abstract?) or environments (wilderness? caves? castles? space station? dungeon?). Was the player character distinctive in any way? Was there any attempt at a story to tie the levels together, or was it pure puzzle gameplay? Or, was it perhaps a single "level" which spanned the whole game world, which the player gradually explored? Was there a "save" system or did you need to complete it in a single sitting? Were the puzzles driven entirely by exploration and key-finding, or were there additional elements (such as pattern-recognition, jumping/dodging obstacles, timing, "push a boulder onto the pressure plate to hold the door open so that you can proceed", etc)? Could the player character collect multiple keys, or did you need to carry a single key to a specific door, and then backtrack to pickup a different key?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

UlfRacoon posted:

I'm sorry about the vague information, but It's all I got.

The first one is definitely Speedy Eggbert.

The second one is most probably Chip's Challenge.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Hakkesshu posted:

It sounds more like it's somewhere on the Galaga spectrum of Namco, honestly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah that was my thought too, but I figured that was too obvious and only because Pac-Man is so iconic in sound. It doesn't seem quite right, either. But maybe that's just me.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Here's one.

Yippee ki yay, motherfucker?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Please tell me that is on PSN because that looks amazing.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Here's one.

Could also be PS1 shooter One?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHbC06XO9gg

Or the other Bruce Willis vehicle, Apocalypse?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

juliuspringle posted:

No, not yet apparently.

The third-person part of the game(Die Hard) was the best one though, and is slightly closer to the "dude runs forward and shoots" description, though you have to save hostages and such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmGDz0F8e94

Oh man, that game is so good.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've got a weird one; it's actually from this generation. Not sure what platforms it was on, but I *think* it was a download only game and so probably was on XBLA/PSN. It came out somewhere between 2006-2010. The title of the game was, I believe, the name of the main character. It was some kind of raunchy/humorous action game. The only reason I heard about it was because someone shittalked it in comparison to Bulletstorm, though I think it was more to do with the humor than the gameplay, so I don't know if the game is actually an FPS or anything like that. I remember having never heard of the game, but I didn't follow up on it to figure out what it was at the time so now I'm stuck not remembering anything about it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I've got a weird one; it's actually from this generation. Not sure what platforms it was on, but I *think* it was a download only game and so probably was on XBLA/PSN. It came out somewhere between 2006-2010. The title of the game was, I believe, the name of the main character. It was some kind of raunchy/humorous action game. The only reason I heard about it was because someone shittalked it in comparison to Bulletstorm, though I think it was more to do with the humor than the gameplay, so I don't know if the game is actually an FPS or anything like that. I remember having never heard of the game, but I didn't follow up on it to figure out what it was at the time so now I'm stuck not remembering anything about it.

I'm just going to make a guess and say Eat Lead: The Return of Max Hazard. If we're making comparisons to Bulletstorm it could be Painkiller, the joke game Duty Calls, NecroVisioN, the Painkiller ripoff Dreamkiller, or even Serious Sam. There's really not much to go off here.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

al-azad posted:

I'm just going to make a guess and say Eat Lead: The Return of Max Hazard. If we're making comparisons to Bulletstorm it could be Painkiller, the joke game Duty Calls, NecroVisioN, the Painkiller ripoff Dreamkiller, or even Serious Sam. There's really not much to go off here.

You nailed it with Eat Lead. Thanks.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

juliuspringle posted:

I bought a PS1 lightgun in 2005 just to play this game again.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

PFF, I had that on the Saturn and we didn't need no lightgun :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Here's one I haven't played in forever.

It was a super old computer game, I think it was DOS era, maybe Win95, but I'm also pretty sure it was on a Mac, so this was a pre-OSX game.
You were a fish, and you had to like swim around and eat algae and fight other fish and survive.

Eventually you'd like die or eat enough to reproduce or something and you'd go to the next level, but you could add mutations to your offspring. I remember there was an electric eel ability that seemed pretty cool, or like you could go faster or something? It was ages ago. I just remember being a fish in some mac game, and upgrading to have electricity powers.

In retrospect it seems a whole lot like the first part of Spore. It was 2D though, and the whole game was just fish underwater.
Makes me wanna play Oregon Trail and Kidpix.

Also, jeeze this is a longshot, but does anybody know of some game/software for old macs that let kids like make their own stories, place characters on scenes and stuff?
Kinda like 3D movie maker but without the 3D.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Here's one I haven't played in forever.

It was a super old computer game, I think it was DOS era, maybe Win95, but I'm also pretty sure it was on a Mac, so this was a pre-OSX game.
You were a fish, and you had to like swim around and eat algae and fight other fish and survive.

Eventually you'd like die or eat enough to reproduce or something and you'd go to the next level, but you could add mutations to your offspring. I remember there was an electric eel ability that seemed pretty cool, or like you could go faster or something? It was ages ago. I just remember being a fish in some mac game, and upgrading to have electricity powers.

In retrospect it seems a whole lot like the first part of Spore. It was 2D though, and the whole game was just fish underwater.
Odell Lake or the sequel, Odell Down Under

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Could it be Odell Down Under?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTB4jjAZxNQ

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

Odell Lake or the sequel, Odell Down Under

Odell down under! :) Thanks!

Ah yes you can create a fish and give them electric eel power or squid ink or stingray stingers and stuff, I knew I remembered that.

Edit: and the other one was Storybook Weaver!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 19, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Serperoth posted:

Were there different buttons to enable different "colours" like if you had Red you'd go on red floor, but not on any other?

Nah, no such things. There was a button to flip your bike around to face another direction though.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Speaking of educational games, does anyone remember one where you answered math/science/history questions in an effort move your hot air balloon around the world? It would've been in the same era as apple II games, but I don't think it was an MECC game.

Greysong
May 22, 2012
Here's one I just thought about today. It was an old ps1 (I think) jrpg where the main character had a guitar/lute that talked and concealed a sword inside of it.

p.s. The lute would not shut the gently caress up.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Greysong posted:

Here's one I just thought about today. It was an old ps1 (I think) jrpg where the main character had a guitar/lute that talked and concealed a sword inside of it.

That sounds like Ephemeral Fantasia on the PS2.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Greysong posted:

Ephemeral Fantasia, by any chance? It had a nifty undocumented feature, too - if you had a Guitar Freaks controller plugged into the 2nd port, you could use it for the music segments (which had the exact same control scheme as GF).

e:f;b

Greysong
May 22, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

That sounds like Ephemeral Fantasia on the PS2.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Ephemeral Fantasia, by any chance? It had a nifty undocumented feature, too - if you had a Guitar Freaks controller plugged into the 2nd port, you could use it for the music segments (which had the exact same control scheme as GF).

e:f;b

That's it, you guys rule.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
This was an indie pixel art game I played a while ago (maybe around the same time as Within A Deep Forest) where you were I think a wizard and flew around and could charge your spells by holding down the button then releasing. Gameplay was a mix of shooty stuff and puzzle platformy stuff.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 20, 2013

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I'm looking for a older game I played at a friend's place as a kid. It's probably from somewhere in the nineties, I think I played it in 97 or something but it might not have been new.

It's a Point & Click adventure game and they had it on Mac. 2D sidescrolling. Pretty much all we can remember is that at some point in the game you were in a jungle jumping over acid or something, and we believe that walking to the left in said jungle would get you to a small house.

We think it looks similar to Monkey Island and Broken Sword, but it's not Monkey Island and Broken Sword has the wrong environments. Main character is a man dressed in regular clothes, nothing spectacular like a wizard or whatever.

Sorry for being vague but it's all we can remember, even while working together.

Edit: Never mind, it was Torin's Passage

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 20, 2013

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Might have asked this before, but I'm looking for a Win95-era game, which was an isometric game where you played as a pre-rendered CGI pyramid and had to deal with other pyramids (I think you shot them? Or bumped into them? I can't remember) on a chessboard-like field. I do remember some of the enemy types (pyramids that jumped around while flexing like gelatin, huge fat purple ones, I think fire ones).

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I remember there was this terrible trailer for a game that was never released. I know it was during the Gamecube/PS2 era. The game had terrible graphics that were N64 quality at best. Most of the trailer was the guy shooting random horrible looking soldiers, but at the very end he is like fighting some terrible looking plant monster and the voice over is talking about how something is going to come out and EAT YOU. I can't remember the name of the game for the life of me. I thought it was called Survivor, but that brings up nothing for me.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Here's one.

Apologies for the late reply but I think I found it.

Lone Soldier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-WodxYCt6Y

al-azad
May 28, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I remember there was this terrible trailer for a game that was never released. I know it was during the Gamecube/PS2 era. The game had terrible graphics that were N64 quality at best. Most of the trailer was the guy shooting random horrible looking soldiers, but at the very end he is like fighting some terrible looking plant monster and the voice over is talking about how something is going to come out and EAT YOU. I can't remember the name of the game for the life of me. I thought it was called Survivor, but that brings up nothing for me.

I tried to find something but check out Unseen64, that's where you go for cancelled games and prototype/beta footage.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Seeing a stream made me remember a game I played a long time ago. But I can't find a youtube of it anywhere.

I'm pretty sure it is NES. But it could also have been SNES or Sega Genesis.
The first level at least is a side scroller. The most distinguishing thing was that you could pick up keys (I think they were keys) and then spend them post-level to buy different guns that were stored in glass cases. This wasn't in a menu. I seem to remember the bullets being flashing blue and red, and it looking a lot like the side scrolling levels of Super C. It reminded me of a contra game, but when I look at those they don't match or have the key system. But I am not really familiar with those games either, so my mystery game could still end up being one for all I know.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Midnight Resistance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
That is it. Thank you so much. Lot less epileptic than I remember apparently.