Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

BurtLington posted:

It's a real shame there isn't much online documentation for Houdini. I did a six week course in it a year ago but it was very much the basics of everything. Some in-depth destruction workflows would be great, does anyone know some good places to learn? Digital Tutors have a pretty good shattering one but most of the other Houdini tutorials are out of date.

Peter Quint videos on Vimeo. Also use the Side FX site!

Recently, I was told that the big studios are not using separate render passes as much or at all. Can anyone confirm this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Odddzy posted:

I'm getting into practicing some anatomy inside zbrush, the render is in max with Vray.

It's supposed to be a likeness to Bill Murray and i've worked on it for the better part of the day, I would call it done and start another one but would like to get some comments on it if some want to give them.

Before reading your post I just saw the image and immediately thought "Bill Murray?", so you are definitely on the right track.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BurtLington posted:

It's a real shame there isn't much online documentation for Houdini. I did a six week course in it a year ago but it was very much the basics of everything. Some in-depth destruction workflows would be great, does anyone know some good places to learn? Digital Tutors have a pretty good shattering one but most of the other Houdini tutorials are out of date.

CMIVFX does a lot of Houdini stuff. I can't comment on the quality but every time I get an email from them hoping they put up a new Nuke video it's always a Houdini one.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

sigma 6 posted:

Recently, I was told that the big studios are not using separate render passes as much or at all. Can anyone confirm this?

I know that blur have started to render in single passes - or just foreground/background/volumetrics. Is that what you meant?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So they jsut nail the look right off the bat in the render? Seems risky, but it's Blur, they're pretty nuts.

VVV Framerate is irrelevant we want PIXEL COUNT except for when we instead want HIGH FPS! Just figure it out games! VVV

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 19, 2013

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I work in games where the render passes happen in real-time at 30-60 frames per second. :cool:

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

sigma 6 posted:

Yeah Peter Quint has some of the best tutorials, especially for Pyro FX 2.0

ACanofPepsi posted:

CMIVFX does a lot of Houdini stuff. I can't comment on the quality but every time I get an email from them hoping they put up a new Nuke video it's always a Houdini one.

CMI is kind of hit or miss - the company I work for gives its employees access to both Digital Tutors and CMIVFX, but CMI has the same problems with a lot of outdated tutorials. Nevermind, just saw all the latest ones they've added, goody gumdrops.

Anyone looked at the Finite Element Solver in Houdini 13 yet? Looks incredible.

Turkina_Prime fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 19, 2013

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

I suppose with deep pixel stuff you can do much more in comp so you don't need to split things up as much.
Between that and layered float exrs you don't need to manually split out passes.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Ugh, I tried doing a Jackie Chan sculpt today and it looked like total rear end. I was embarassed to put time in it after a while without ever feeling it was getting somewhere. What's the trick to keep some forward momentum going when doing anatomical sculpts?

The bill murray tweaks healped out a bit, at least i'm proud of that one.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BurtLington posted:

Destruction is very straight forward. Chop stuff up. Do rigids setup/simulation. The only (big) company that does it differently is MPC with their Maya/Kali toolset.

sigma 6 posted:

I can confirm that it's not true.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I would recommend studying skulls and facial muscles (get a skull medical model) to help you out when the forms aren't clear from the reference. Also just trying and failing is useful in itself, anatomy, the face in particular, is hard.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

EoinCannon posted:

I would recommend studying skulls and facial muscles (get a skull medical model) to help you out when the forms aren't clear from the reference. Also just trying and failing is useful in itself, anatomy, the face in particular, is hard.

Yeah, good advice, I tried it and it makes building the ''base'' for the face much faster

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

ACanofPepsi posted:

So they jsut nail the look right off the bat in the render? Seems risky, but it's Blur, they're pretty nuts.

http://www.creativebloq.com/blur-studio-elder-scrolls-online-cinematic-2123047

mid way down the page they have some raw render/final frame comparisons... dof rendered in camera, minimal grading & barely any post.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Torabi posted:

So it is that time again where I ponder the question that is: Should I ditch 3ds Max which keeps getting worse with each iteration for Maya? At least the Character Animation Toolkit keeps breaking for me. Figured I should pick up Digital Tutors and start fresh with Maya since from what I've gathered over the years that I have sort of been animating, is that Maya is better for animation and not relying on CAT would be good so that I can learn real rigging.
At least in an informal capacity, Autodesk is being pretty up front with the fact that Maya is going to be the program of choice when it comes to animation improvements and adjustments. If anecdotal evidence within my vicinity is worth anything, as an animator you'll be pretty happy with the switch.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ACanofPepsi posted:

I asked a guy upstairs and they do use passes, plenty of them (depending on project). Elder Scrolls was kind of a one-off as far as how they did that (and apparently it was just for first pass or something).

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm looking forward to when Autodesk gets rid of gibmal lock for good in Maya, like they did in Motion Builder.

Also this is pretty major, Houdini's engine can now be integrated into Maya. http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/sidefx-released-houdini-engine-for-autodesk-maya-and-unity/

Ccs fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 21, 2013

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Hazed_blue posted:

At least in an informal capacity, Autodesk is being pretty up front with the fact that Maya is going to be the program of choice when it comes to animation improvements and adjustments. If anecdotal evidence within my vicinity is worth anything, as an animator you'll be pretty happy with the switch.

You're right. I'm signed up for Digital Tutors to get started quicker with Maya. Liking it a lot so far, so as far as animation is concerned, bye bye 3ds Max. (Once I get settled in a bit more at least)
One thing I can't figure out is how to mirror poses on limbs. Like, if I have the left hand positioned in a certain way, I would like to copy and mirror the same pose to the other hand. Is there a feature that lets me do that or does it depend on the rig? I can't really find anything helpful on google so far but I suck at searching.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhWoZQdIB-g

Around the 0:49ish mark or so, the artist does what looks like some sort of rotation/scaling to form the mouth.

I'm still relatively new to Blender/modeling in general, but can anyone explain to me what is going on in that moment? I can't quite figure it out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He does a few things. He selects the polygons that form the area of the mouth. He bevels them (basically a flat, inward extrusion) to give a rim. Then he scales them flat and then shrinks the whole thing a little. After that he extrudes inwards to form the mouth cavity.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah SynthOrange is correct. Bevels then selects the inner faces and extrudes them all in. Honestly that model is pretty wacky because he doesn't round out forms before adding edgeloops and stuff so the end product is really boxy. He might fix it later on I have no idea, but that's a pretty common issue when you're working from orthographics, is not giving a crap about the 3/4ths view, which is fairly important if you want your whole model to look correct.

These days if I do manually model things I do all of it in perspective view. Unless you need to model accurate cars, blueprints are good to start off on but really you should learn observational skills. It will help later on when you only have 1 picture of reference to use.

If you're strictly doing props and your concept artists are always giving you orthographics (which is fairly unlikely, especially all-views) or you're doing something common like guns and cars then it's not that big of a deal but still should be practiced.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

In regards to the renderpass thing.
The guy who told me has worked on over 30 movies... most of them big budget.

The reasoning is that the more accurate the 3d beauty render, the less need for the compositor to tweak it for realism. This doesn't mean there isn't color grading, or other FX to "plus" the shot. It just means that some bigger studios are opting for few or even no render passes more and more.

I was pretty surprised by this, but if you have ever struggled with compositing renderpasses to try and match what the beauty render looks like, it kind of makes sense. Why would you tear apart a photoreal render into passes if you don't absolutely have to?

In any case, here is a tutorial I mocked up just now.

It has been a while since I posted anything really useful here.

This comes with :love: from Pixologic.

Remember kids: Typical people only have about 180-220k strands of hair on their head. If you break your hair into multiple "patches" of poylgroups, make sure the sum of the polygroups max fibre count equals betwee 180-220k.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 23, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

sigma 6 posted:

In regards to the renderpass thing.
The guy who told me has worked on over 30 movies... most of them big budget.

Well, he's still wrong. Big studios still uses render-passes.

As for the comment about 'the better the beauty pass', well, doh!. It's just that rendering is *very* resource heavy and compositing isn't.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the renderpass thing is really job and shot dependent. Also rendering all the elements in a layered exr or equivalent takes no extra time and the compositor has all that control if they need it. Obviously you want the beauty render to look good but you don't need your lighter rendering and re-rendering to match a plate when comp can do it. In a full cg job then it's different I guess.

wakkawoo101
May 26, 2004

nolen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhWoZQdIB-g

Around the 0:49ish mark or so, the artist does what looks like some sort of rotation/scaling to form the mouth.

I'm still relatively new to Blender/modeling in general, but can anyone explain to me what is going on in that moment? I can't quite figure it out.

Its called insetting and its shortcut key is "I"

More info: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modeling/Meshes/Editing/Duplicating/Inset

wakkawoo101 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 24, 2013

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

Yeah the renderpass thing is really job and shot dependent. Also rendering all the elements in a layered exr or equivalent takes no extra time and the compositor has all that control if they need it. Obviously you want the beauty render to look good but you don't need your lighter rendering and re-rendering to match a plate when comp can do it. In a full cg job then it's different I guess.

I think part of the point here is that they are already matching to the plate when they are lighting in the 3d software. IF the 3d guys did their job very well, then the compositor has a lot less work to do and requires fewer renderpasses or in some cases none at all.

Everyone is in agreement that this is a shot by shot thing, but it surprised me to hear that the number of passes required to make a shot work is going down vs. up.

I am hoping to learn a lot from his nuke class and will ask again about it.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe due to better hdri and on set data acquisition pipelines for the lighters to build a shot with.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I think so too.

This was posted earlier in this thread.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

sigma 6 posted:

It has been a while since I posted anything really useful here.

This comes with :love: from Pixologic.

Thank you for this. Trying to learn Zbrush at a hobbyist level and the curve is pretty steep :)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Your welcome. If you guys want, I can continue to post random tutorials. Just not sure how useful it is, since it is mostly maya / zbrush stuff. Although, as I mentioned earlier, I may be auditing a Nuke class soon.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Yep, Scott has been doing some really fun stuff with Mari.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wf7AZupkhc

This is a more recent video.

I almost poo poo myself when I saw him running Mari on a 4k display. I had no idea it would perform like that, but I guess 12GB of GPU RAM helps.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Please post Maya and Zbrush tutorials, sigma 6. I'm still learning!

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
That video is insane.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

tuna posted:

I asked a guy upstairs and they do use passes, plenty of them (depending on project). Elder Scrolls was kind of a one-off as far as how they did that (and apparently it was just for first pass or something).

Aren't you guys using one of the file formats that let's you render once and create the passes from that render instead of rendering each pass separately?

Man I realized I haven't rendered anything in forever. Viewport 2.0 completely spoiled me.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

keyframe posted:

Aren't you guys using one of the file formats that let's you render once and create the passes from that render instead of rendering each pass separately?

Man I realized I haven't rendered anything in forever. Viewport 2.0 completely spoiled me.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, float layered exrs. All the passes and control you need and no extra work.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've made a lot of progress on this guy, this image is a few days old now. I've began sculpting the arms and I've changed the head slightly to be a bit more rounded but still flat.

The feet are still dumb but I'm happy with the knees now.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 30, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I got a 128gb surface pro 2 yesterday, and I am in love with this thing. Was just sculpting a 6 million poly model in Zbrush with no brush lag or slowdown. Maya runs great, Modo runs great, sketchbook pro is bliss to sketch with.

If anyone is on the fence I can't recommend it enough.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting a new job soon that involves a commute of over an hour each way so I was thinking of
getting one. I'm assuming you would need to purchase another zbrush license though, is that right?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah, they're okay with 2-3 installs as long as they're not running at the same time.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, usually I'm pretty immune to wanting 'the latest toy' but I really want one of these
Anything that can enable me to sculpt things more often in ZB is very attractive to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

EoinCannon posted:

Man, usually I'm pretty immune to wanting 'the latest toy' but I really want one of these
Anything that can enable me to sculpt things more often in ZB is very attractive to me.

Yea it is pretty much perfect for sketching/sculpting on the go. All you need is this:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft/55516-new-artdock-surface-pro.html

It is free, adds the keyboard shortcuts as overlay on the top left right under where your thumb rests. It auto hides when you go over there with the pen. I am pretty surprised how well it worked really.