Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just started to watch X-Files (I'm at S2 E 7 right now) and holy poo poo is this show great. I watched some of it with my mother when it aired and I remember that some of the episodes scared the poo poo out of me.

And for some reason the ugly 90's video quality really works for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like X-Files would work best if watched on old worn out VHS tapes with the occasional tracking issue.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

lelandjs posted:

I feel like X-Files would work best if watched on old worn out VHS tapes with the occasional tracking issue.

No, in a dark room on a big curved glass CRT from a DVD player.

Watching it off of a VHS would be worse quality than a TV broadcast but you still get that old TV feel with the curved glass

edit: gently caress, I'm a television hipster

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Bill Cosby's new special is on NOW MoFos. Watch it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Any good? I was never a fan of Cosby's old standup, but I'm willing to give him a chance if his material has improved.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Popelmon posted:

I just started to watch X-Files (I'm at S2 E 7 right now) and holy poo poo is this show great. I watched some of it with my mother when it aired and I remember that some of the episodes scared the poo poo out of me.

And for some reason the ugly 90's video quality really works for the show.

"Field Trip" from one of the later seasons is my favourite X-files episode. I'll bust out the black bars because today I don't feel like being too much of a dick apart from mentioning Girls:

For me it successfully captured that feeling of knowing you're somewhere, in a normal situation perhaps at home, just living your life and - No you're actually not there you're somewhere else all messed up and you have no idea what's what because your brain not in it's normal state but you're kind of coming around and just realising that everything is absolutely NOT as it seems and it's kinda scary and kinda cool and exciting and above all else it makes you feel small and totally out of control of your perception of things but nevermind all that I* just need to work out exactly what I* am first.

*Trying to cogitate all this without any concept of "I" "me" or "perception"

You'll probably either like/dislike it a lot, or not really think much of it at all depending on what you've tried.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Irish Joe posted:

Any good? I was never a fan of Cosby's old standup, but I'm willing to give him a chance if his material has improved.

I admire you for not just towing the party line on Himself and standing up against it as if it wasn't one of the funniest comedy specials ever made, even to this day.

You're still wrong, but good on you for owning it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Cactus posted:

"Field Trip" from one of the later seasons is my favourite X-files episode. I'll bust out the black bars because today I don't feel like being too much of a dick apart from mentioning Girls:

For me it successfully captured that feeling of knowing you're somewhere, in a normal situation perhaps at home, just living your life and - No you're actually not there you're somewhere else all messed up and you have no idea what's what because your brain not in it's normal state but you're kind of coming around and just realising that everything is absolutely NOT as it seems and it's kinda scary and kinda cool and exciting and above all else it makes you feel small and totally out of control of your perception of things but nevermind all that I* just need to work out exactly what I* am first.

*Trying to cogitate all this without any concept of "I" "me" or "perception"

You'll probably either like/dislike it a lot, or not really think much of it at all depending on what you've tried.

For me the climax of that episode is when the Lone Gunmen guy tells Scully that he thinks that Mulder died in exactly the way she described and you right away know that something is up, the line just gives off this real spookiness from how "right" that it would be that they all went with Scully.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

I think it's safe to say if you didn't appreciate 76-year old comedian Bill Cosby's previous material you're not going to change your mind at this point Irish Joe.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Himself is the poo poo and totally stands the test of time. Unlike, say, Eddie Murphy's Delirious where you have a :stare:-worthy rant about gay people come out of nowhere and kind of ruin the whole thing in retrospect.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DivisionPost posted:

I admire you for not just towing the party line on Himself and standing up against it as if it wasn't one of the funniest comedy specials ever made, even to this day.

You're still wrong, but good on you for owning it.

I can't imagine a person who doesn't laugh their rear end off at least at some part of Himself. That person must have nothing good in their life.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Himself is the poo poo and totally stands the test of time. Unlike, say, Eddie Murphy's Delirious where you have a :stare:-worthy rant about gay people come out of nowhere and kind of ruin the whole thing in retrospect.

I haven't seen Delirious in years so I don't recall how long that part was, but I guess you just kind of have to treat it like "my racist grandpa" in that it was a casual mindset at the time. IIRC it's at least at the beginning and he doesn't seem to say it in a particularly malicious way.

It is the first thing I think of when I watch Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and that scene comes on where Mr. T's character clenches up his buttcheeks, though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 24, 2013

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

piratepilates posted:

For me the climax of that episode is when the Lone Gunmen guy tells Scully that he thinks that Mulder died in exactly the way she described and you right away know that something is up, the line just gives off this real spookiness from how "right" that it would be that they all went with Scully.

Not many shows can pull off that feeling of spookiness you mention of things not seeming too out there, but at the same time being so out there they cannot possibly be real - yet the explanation of those things is not what they first seemed but turns out to make internally consistent sense.

Not a TV show, but the Machinist, and more recently Source Code, are films that I also think do this really well.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

Holy poo poo:
http://video.bobdylan.com/desktop.html

Press up and down on your keyboard to "flip channels"

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER

Is this Experimental Music Video week or something?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

raditts posted:

Dunno, but that would be an amazing thing. I like the song.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

raditts posted:

Kanye's submission was to have Kim Kardashian take her clothes off.

He needs to go back to the drawing board.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hcreight posted:

Kanye's submission was to have Kim Kardashian take her clothes off.

He needs to go back to the drawing board.

For all of Kim Kardashian's faults, literally none of them are "Is not attractive".

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

For all of Kim Kardashian's faults, literally none of them are "Is not attractive".

Don't care, I want her awful rear end family to go away forever.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hcreight posted:

Don't care, I want her awful rear end family to go away forever.

Poor choice of words, her rear end is probably her biggest (no pun intended) claim to fame.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yoshifan, why must you apologize for awful things.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Dunno, but that would be an amazing thing. I like the song.

Me too. I watched it long enough to hear the song like 10 times in a row.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 24, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bound 2 is amazing and that video is even better. Cause it's Kanye premiering that on the loving Ellen Degeneres show, and not giving a gently caress.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Did he actually air the uncensored version on Ellen? I didn't see the episode but I've seen the Bound 2 video, and if that's true, holy gently caress.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Look, I'm not saying I like Kim Kardashian (though if her being Kanye's muse results in more Yeezus level albums, she can stick around), but I have no idea what insulting her looks has to do with anything, especially because she's pretty drat attractive.

Now, Kris Jenner on the other hand is just awful.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The Wire is fluctuating between $69 and $89 right now at this very moment, like some sort of Schroedinger's DVD set

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=gb1h_ti...rd_p=1673798022

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 24, 2013

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

Look, I'm not saying I like Kim Kardashian (though if her being Kanye's muse results in more Yeezus level albums, she can stick around), but I have no idea what insulting her looks has to do with anything, especially because she's pretty drat attractive.

Nobody is insulting her looks. The video is awful for many other reasons.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Bound 2 video promotes unsafe motorcycle driving habits :colbert:

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If a person can't laugh at Bill Cosby playing 'Jesus Christ' and his brother, 'Goddamn it' then they are totally broken.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

The Wire is fluctuating between $69 and $89 right now at this very moment, like some sort of Schroedinger's DVD set

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=gb1h_ti...rd_p=1673798022

I bought mine a couple years ago in Tesco for about £50. I wasn't aware The Wire had a rep for being prohibitively expensive, it's been out for ages now.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cactus posted:

I bought mine a couple years ago in Tesco for about £50. I wasn't aware The Wire had a rep for being prohibitively expensive, it's been out for ages now.

The Wire Box sets are like many other HBO box sets in that at retail they're usually $150 or more.

Side note, make sure you're getting the box set with the DVDs/blu-rays held in place with prongs. The original box set was a shoddy mess, the DVDs were held in cardboard sleeves by tiny dabs of hot glue. The glue usually came apart in shipment and the DVDs got scratched all to hell.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cactus posted:

All HBO shows have always had ludicrous prices, like 5 times any other show at least.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Man, I think I'm in love with the X-Files. One of the Lone Gunmen just said this:

"You’re welcome to come over Saturday. We’re all hopping on the Internet to nitpick the scientific inaccuracies of Earth 2."

This episode was aired in 1994 :allears:.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Popelmon posted:

"You’re welcome to come over Saturday. We’re all hopping on the Internet to nitpick the scientific inaccuracies of Earth 2."

Jesus, in 1994 I would have been on Prodigy waiting forty minutes for an image to half load before the connection timed out.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Irish Joe posted:

Jesus, in 1994 I would have been on Prodigy waiting forty minutes for an image to half load before the connection timed out.

Your family went with Prodigy in 1994. I'm a lot more sympathetic knowing that being wrong just runs in your genes.

It's okay, Joe, we're all here for you.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Popelmon posted:

Man, I think I'm in love with the X-Files. One of the Lone Gunmen just said this:

The X-Files: over a decade ahead of The Big Bang Theory.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DivisionPost posted:

Your family went with Prodigy in 1994. I'm a lot more sympathetic knowing that being wrong just runs in your genes.

In all fairness to my parents, they were well ahead of the curve considering only 12% of Americans had access to the internet in 1994. Its not like anyone who wasn't a nerd or in a high tech industry knew what the internet was or what it could be used for at the time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'm finally catching up on The Americans after having it languish on my DVR for the last 10 months. It's a shame there wasn't much buzz about this show, because drat it is so good.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That first scene with Tusk playing in the background was one hell of an opening.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
Haven't seen this mentioned in here yet (hope I didn't skim past it...); the new season of Orphan Black starts on April 19th in Canada. I assume it will be the same in the US, given they aired on the same schedules during season one. Just thought people would like to know.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Captain Vittles posted:

Haven't seen this mentioned in here yet (hope I didn't skim past it...); the new season of Orphan Black starts on April 19th in Canada. I assume it will be the same in the US, given they aired on the same schedules during season one. Just thought people would like to know.

Yeah, it's the same. Here's a teaser they released yesterday during Whomania:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zCNJG07i-g

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

hcreight posted:

Yeah, it's the same. Here's a teaser they released yesterday during Whomania:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zCNJG07i-g

I keep hearing Orphan Black is pretty good. Anyone know if it's streaming on, like, Netflix or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Teddybear posted:

I keep hearing Orphan Black is pretty good. Anyone know if it's streaming on, like, Netflix or something?

It's not on Netflix.

Which drives me crazy because COPPER is on netflix and that's a BBCA production. Where the hell is my Orphan Black?

• Locked thread