Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron
The interest I'm getting off my NAB savings account which I have to gently caress about with through the app for five minutes every time I want to withdraw anything is currently my only income :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I like being able to actually go into a bank so I never got an ING account. I was always with the NAB, and also Westpac. Both were fine, but I prefer the NAB because no fees.

My Suncorp comment came because when we came to Canada for our wedding in 2009 my husband's bank account was with Suncorp and mine was with NAB and we discovered pretty quickly that while I could withdraw cash from ATMs, his literally didn't work outside of Australia and New Zealand, EFTPOS was the only system the card actually accepted. So we spent the whole time making fun of Queensland and the fact that they're so backwards they actually had ATM cards you can't use overseas.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I was just taking those off the top of my head. Still, it's not hard to fail in depositing $200 a month so I see the bonus interest rate as being fairly standard. It's still higher than ING IIRC.

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008

Gloomiebat posted:

The interest I'm getting off my NAB savings account which I have to gently caress about with through the app for five minutes every time I want to withdraw anything is currently my only income :v:

I once found $10 on the sidewalk on swanston, was my only income that month(e: and actually first income in months). How'd the interview go, any luck?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Looks like I may have a job as a cleaner for a couple who live in Darlington, so it's very conveniently close to uni. $50 for two hours a week which is not bad in supplementing my current income. The guy I met tonight for the interview and key handing over was I suppose in his early 30s, well educated, bit eccentric and very immaculate in his appearance, although I can't say the same for his home which is a complete pigsty. It's also big, one of those converted warehouses so I don't know how I'll do it all in two hours despite my cleaning experience in the family home.

Oh, and he has a dog called Noodle. And a cat called Be Huffy.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

Omgz posted:

I once found $10 on the sidewalk on swanston, was my only income that month(e: and actually first income in months). How'd the interview go, any luck?

I found $5 at the Forum theatre a few weeks ago; brings my total found-it-on-the-floor income to a grand total of $5.60!

Interview was actually mortifying: they contacted me from my ad that I put out (where I stated quite plainly I had no hospitality experience) and then just sat and picked apart all the reasons why I wasn't experienced enough for the job and told me I should go and learn these things (coffee-making, etc) and reapply. Which, you know, is what I was trying to do. The guy's attitude completely stank, he was really patronising and I just wanted to say like, why exactly did you ask me to come in if you had either no intention of giving me a shot or clearly didn't read my ad but I was so taken aback by his manner that I just left (he made me fill out a questionnaire regarding the skills I had and so on in relation to waitressing work and I had to leave most of it blank and he went through the whole thing with me and I was like are you actually seriously doing this to me? I was so flustered and embarrassed that when he asked me 'well, where do you see a job in hospitality taking you in the future?' I actually just mind-blanked for the longest thirty-seconds of silence ever.) Nice little hour and twenty minute round trip on a train for me though, best way to spend a gloriously sunny Sunday. I shouldn't still be annoyed about it but it's bad enough struggling to find work without being dicked over and put out of pocket on train fares to no end as well :(

I've been working at my internship for a couple of days now and while everyone is super, super nice and so on I'm just so terrible at my job that I'm dreading going in on Friday. I have no idea what I'm actually meant to be doing and whenever the phone rings I just want to die because I don't know what to say to any of the clients aaaahaha help me. If I ever get full-time work I'll have to leave anyway because as much as it might help my career down the line I need money and they're not paying me and I feel guilty now because they've given me this opportunity and argh being a person is stressful.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Gloomiebat posted:

I found $5 at the Forum theatre a few weeks ago; brings my total found-it-on-the-floor income to a grand total of $5.60!

I wish omgz still didn't have a job so we could all meet and I'll sit on a lounge chair and throw money on the ground. It'll be like the fighting in Django Unchained.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

NoArmedMan posted:

I wish omgz still didn't have a job so we could all meet and I'll sit on a lounge chair and throw money on the ground. It'll be like the fighting in Django Unchained.

That's like my favourite film but I have to look away when that scene plays. That said, gimme an address for this lounge-chair-money-throwing scenario and I'll still come along :v:

My mate threw a 5¢ coin at me the other day (you know how you might throw a scrunched up bit of paper at someone just to annoy them) and I was like "I'm having that" :negative:

I'm past even being ashamed now.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Gloomiebat posted:

Interview was actually mortifying: they contacted me from my ad that I put out (where I stated quite plainly I had no hospitality experience) and then just sat and picked apart all the reasons why I wasn't experienced enough for the job and told me I should go and learn these things (coffee-making, etc) and reapply. Which, you know, is what I was trying to do. The guy's attitude completely stank, he was really patronising and I just wanted to say like, why exactly did you ask me to come in if you had either no intention of giving me a shot or clearly didn't read my ad but I was so taken aback by his manner that I just left (he made me fill out a questionnaire regarding the skills I had and so on in relation to waitressing work and I had to leave most of it blank and he went through the whole thing with me and I was like are you actually seriously doing this to me? I was so flustered and embarrassed that when he asked me 'well, where do you see a job in hospitality taking you in the future?' I actually just mind-blanked for the longest thirty-seconds of silence ever.) Nice little hour and twenty minute round trip on a train for me though, best way to spend a gloriously sunny Sunday. I shouldn't still be annoyed about it but it's bad enough struggling to find work without being dicked over and put out of pocket on train fares to no end as well :(

I've been working at my internship for a couple of days now and while everyone is super, super nice and so on I'm just so terrible at my job that I'm dreading going in on Friday. I have no idea what I'm actually meant to be doing and whenever the phone rings I just want to die because I don't know what to say to any of the clients aaaahaha help me. If I ever get full-time work I'll have to leave anyway because as much as it might help my career down the line I need money and they're not paying me and I feel guilty now because they've given me this opportunity and argh being a person is stressful.

* What is your past work history?
* How social are you? In all seriousness you might want to go for something where you don't have to deal with people.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

For you guys who are sounding pretty low about your employment at the moment have you had a look at a site like https://www.airtasker.com Its basically the Australian version of taskrabbit. We have used it at work to post simple jobs like $50 to assemble some ikea furniture.

My only advice is if it doesn't sound too specific (or like the amount of time isn't clear) then try and get a start and finish time for being paid (and perhaps if it goes longer they pay a bit more).

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

BCR posted:

* What is your past work history?
* How social are you? In all seriousness you might want to go for something where you don't have to deal with people.

I'm pretty social, though obviously having no cash and so on and limited my social life quite a lot for pretty much the last six months (three of which I was on a farm in the middle of nowhere.)

Past work history was spent in retail (fashion retail for the last 8 years in the same job.) I actually would prefer to have some sort of face-to-face customer-service based job because it's what I know and am most comfortable with (I really enjoyed working front of house at the film fest and I'm doing some shifts behind the bar for the Fringe so at least that's FINALLY some bar experience albeit for free aauugh) but it's finding that job. I applied for a Christmas temp job today after chatting to the manager instore and I spent about an hour writing a loving essay about why I think their company is amazing so I better loving get it :mad: In the mean time though, still need something to tide me over until November if I'm successful (not pinning all my hopes on it obviously but I think my application was poo poo hot so I'm daring to hope.) Still really stressed out about my internship because if this goes on much longer (and I've been saying that for a long time now) I'm going to have to leave them and I feel like a dick for letting them down, although I know I should be putting myself first and at the moment, I need either a paying job or to get out and see some of this country before I go totally bankrupt :woop:

In other, more fun news, I found out that a guy I absolutely can't stand and in fact made me feel very uncomfortable who was staying here at the hostel got evicted yesterday for throwing a punch at someone because of the hat he was wearing. Every cloud...

Fake edit: I have been browsing Airtasker but haven't had much success with it but I'll keep at it, thank you :)

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Alright the going argh with the phone threw me:

Have you smashed through these agencies?
https://www.google.com.au/#q=temping+agencies+melbourne
Have you gone around your local bowls club, rugby league club, australian rules club, RSL, Services club and asked for barwork? You did get your RSA/RCG?
Have you gone around to Vinnies and asked for help/work?

This is not aimed at you but one thing that really, really annoys me about Anglos is they don't use their community. Chinese, Greeks, Sudanese all stick together and draw support from one another to at least get themselves on the feet in the first six months. The English come over and its like "oh this is just like England, I can fit right in!" And then they don't, get culture shock and go home.

Rock up here and network:
http://www.celticclub.com.au/
http://www.scottish-gaelic.org.au/

You've got more guts than most in going half way around the world on your own, and you've got guts at sticking at it than taking the first flight home. That said if you've got Scottish in you, use it and use the community.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

BCR posted:

Alright the going argh with the phone threw me:

Have you smashed through these agencies?
https://www.google.com.au/#q=temping+agencies+melbourne
Have you gone around your local bowls club, rugby league club, australian rules club, RSL, Services club and asked for barwork? You did get your RSA/RCG?
Have you gone around to Vinnies and asked for help/work?

This is not aimed at you but one thing that really, really annoys me about Anglos is they don't use their community. Chinese, Greeks, Sudanese all stick together and draw support from one another to at least get themselves on the feet in the first six months. The English come over and its like "oh this is just like England, I can fit right in!" And then they don't, get culture shock and go home.

Rock up here and network:
http://www.celticclub.com.au/
http://www.scottish-gaelic.org.au/

You've got more guts than most in going half way around the world on your own, and you've got guts at sticking at it than taking the first flight home. That said if you've got Scottish in you, use it and use the community.

Yeah I basically detest using the phone but I'm trying to avoid avoiding it if that makes sense because it's something I have to just suck up and deal with if I want to be a functional person with a grown-up job, ha.

You have a very good point re: British people not using the community because yeah, that hadn't even entered my head. It's very true that Australia seems enough like the UK that I (and as you say I'm sure many others) came over here all 'hey it's the same tra la la' when it's not, it's a completely different country that, despite a lot of similarities, isn't home. I think it's almost worse then going somewhere totally different from your home because you don't quite notice the culture-shock until you're in Coles three months down the line having a minor wobbly moment because you can't see any recognisable brands. It definitely creeps up on you. Anyway, thank you for those links, I wouldn't even have thought to google anything like that otherwise. I do have my RSA and RSG but I'm getting turned away because I've no experience.

I've searched quite thoroughly through most of those temping sites and it's all things that while they may in actuality be glorified data entry for example are way above my skillset on paper, and so I'm getting nowhere. I'm not just looking at them, going 'I can't do this' and closing the window. I'm applying, rewriting cover letters to emphasise that what skills I do have are transferrable and I'm not a total moron but I'm not having any luck. I know it really is a case of just keeping on at it until someone bites but it's that awful depressing money-eating gap in the middle that just sucks balls as I'm sure you will agree.

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008

NoArmedMan posted:

I took ur jerbs, its an amazing feeling to be able to buy things and not feel guilty. Now we just need amazon australia so I can turn my paychecks into things from the comfort of my own home.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm in the planning stages of a road trip between Sydney and Melbourne. We're planning on taking the coast road south before cutting over to Canberra then going through Jindabyne, Omeo, then down to Wilson's Prom before heading to Melbourne. My question is whether a 2WD car will be fine for the mountains in late October. Can we expect clear roads or are they covered in show that late in the spring?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Saint Fu posted:

I'm in the planning stages of a road trip between Sydney and Melbourne. We're planning on taking the coast road south before cutting over to Canberra then going through Jindabyne, Omeo, then down to Wilson's Prom before heading to Melbourne. My question is whether a 2WD car will be fine for the mountains in late October. Can we expect clear roads or are they covered in show that late in the spring?

Rest assured, it's been a terrible year for snow. We barely had any on the ski fields in New South Wales for July. In any case, I'm fairly sure that in regular years all of the snow will have melted by October. Worst comes to worst you can hire chains in Jindabyne or Cooma or somewhere like that.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I've been in Sydney since Monday and will be here until next Tuesday. So far I've walked everywhere around town to get the lay of the land and see any spots I might want to explore further. I've also been to the Aquarium (which was extremely disappointing). Anyway, there's stuff to look at, but what is there to do? The OP just lists some stuff to go look at, but there's no mention of activities. It seems like the whole city is restaurants and shopping, titty bars and pizza places. I was planning on going to the Blue Mountains for a hike today but I slept in, so maybe tomorrow (if the fire gets better.) Also, sidenote, are there any big parties? I thought there would be some big clubs in Kings Cross but... yeah, I was extremely wrong about that. I'm staying near the Central train station.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

* Take the train to Circular Quay. Ride the ferry to Manly.
* Take the train to Bondi Junction. Ride the bus / walk to Bondi Beach.
* You can take the Greyhound out to Katoomba and walk around a national park thats part of the Blue Mountains.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

stratdax posted:

I've been in Sydney since Monday and will be here until next Tuesday. So far I've walked everywhere around town to get the lay of the land and see any spots I might want to explore further. I've also been to the Aquarium (which was extremely disappointing). Anyway, there's stuff to look at, but what is there to do? The OP just lists some stuff to go look at, but there's no mention of activities. It seems like the whole city is restaurants and shopping, titty bars and pizza places. I was planning on going to the Blue Mountains for a hike today but I slept in, so maybe tomorrow (if the fire gets better.) Also, sidenote, are there any big parties? I thought there would be some big clubs in Kings Cross but... yeah, I was extremely wrong about that. I'm staying near the Central train station.

Sydney is a pretty sight filled city, it's harder to find the places where people actually hang out because it's mostly in the suburbs. Melbourne is generally the opposite in that regard - we don't have much to look at but all the nightlife/culture is in the CBD area. If you want to catch up with people for a meal or drink, I'd suggest heading to Newtown, Bondi, Manly or somewhere similar. The Sydney goons are awesome people too - they hang out on irc on irc.synirc.net #sydgoons. I'm sure some of them will be up for going out to a bar or something - I think weekly trivia is tomorrow night.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron
Soooo...where should I go next? Ha, okay, so I've begun making vague plans to get out of Melbourne. As much as I don't want to say I've given up, I've pretty much given up/am so fed up and really depressed and I think a change of scene will do me good :v: My plans change every day but so far the vague idea is to stick around for the Fringe (doing voluntary work there) and then a friend has kindly offered me their spare room for a couple of weeks in Belgrave so I'm going to just try and chill the gently caress out and get my head, finances and itinerary sorted out from here on in. My options all really depend on whether I get Christmas temp work which I've applied to a few places for. I've had a flight booked home on December 1st since I arrived so if everything continues being a total disaster from now until then it's no biggie and at least I don't have to worry about affording a trip home. I realised the other night (ha) that if I do go home on that date it gives me roughly six weeks to 'do Australia' and I don't know if that's enough/too much? The flight can be changed anyway and I should find out about the temp work in plenty time to change it if need be.

Before that though I'm wanting to see more of the country and head up the east coast a bit. So far my plans have involved noting down everything I want to see and working out travel/accommodation costs and narrowing the list down if something is too expensive/not really worth going out of my way to visit (i.e. to begin with I wrote down every city but yeah do I need to go to Canberra? Probably not? But I feel I should see as much as I can while I'm here.) Any suggestions of MUST SEE OR YOU'RE AN IDIOT things would be greatly appreciated! I really don't want to miss out on anything particularly once-in-a-lifetime because if I don't magically get a job or a second visa it will likely be a very long time before I am able to come back and it only makes sense to make the most of the time I've got here while I'm here. I'm also planning at some point to hop over to New Zealand for a couple of weeks but I've not begun really sorting that out yet.

In a nutshell I'm at the stage where I need to do some travelling now before my money really does run out. I also need to finish seven days of farmwork during this time which I'm not particularly worried about but ugh kill me. If this whole notion of hightailing it out of town is a bad one please advise me. I've told myself too many times 'just wait another week' on the job front and it's been like three months and I literally can't afford to sit on my arse any longer. All my friends at the hostel are leaving at the end of this month so I'll only be even more miserable if I stay, ha. Time is ticking!

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

http://www.greyhound.com.au/Bookings/specials/10-off-oz-experience.aspx?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=oz+ex+specials

I'd pick the $360 one. Stop off at Fraser Island, Airlie Beach, you get Magnetic Island and the tablelands thrown in. Go for a Surf lesson somewhere.

Virgin has happy hour 1600-1800 every day where they knock off $30-40 on flights.

Did you go around to the Scottish club and beg for a job?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

If you find yourself in Western Australia, Broome is pretty nice. There's nothing there in the way of entertainment, but it does have several untouched, pristine beaches (and I say this as a non-beach person) which are really, really nice. You'd be unlucky to come across anyone else on them. Just watch out for crocodiles. Seriously. I think this is the season for them.

Of course, you might also come up to Sydney if you haven't already been. I'd be happy to buy you a beer and I'm sure there's a few other goons available in Sydney who'd do the same.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
This might be a horrible question to ask, but is what's the area in Inner West Sydney where one could find most of Europeans/white people in general?

Living in Belfield right now and while neighborhood is otherwise very nice and quiet, it seriously lacks pubs, clubs and European chicks. It's too quiet, nowhere to go on friday night. Of course, one shouldn't expect too much from a desert of suburbs but still....
Muslims don't drink and Chinese/Koreans/Vietnamese - who mostly live around... I'm not even sure why they don't.

I don't want to move too far from Punchbowl, because I work there (and commute via bicycle), and I like Inner West very much, but moving is in order and some tips would be greatly appreciated.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Woohoo posted:

This might be a horrible question to ask, but is what's the area in Inner West Sydney where one could find most of Europeans/white people in general?

Living in Belfield right now and while neighborhood is otherwise very nice and quiet, it seriously lacks pubs, clubs and European chicks. It's too quiet, nowhere to go on friday night.
Muslims don't drink and Chinese/Koreans/Vietnamese - who mostly live around... I'm not even sure why they don't.

I don't want to move too far from Punchbowl, because I work there (and commute via bicycle), but moving is in order and some tips would be greatly appreciated.

Is your name Trent?

https://flatmates.com.au/2007/ultimo

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
That was to be expected...

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 30, 2013

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Woohoo posted:

Living in Belfield right now and while neighborhood is otherwise very nice and quiet, it seriously lacks pubs, clubs and European chicks. It's too quiet, nowhere to go on friday night. Of course, one shouldn't expect too much from a desert of suburbs but still....

I don't want to move too far from Punchbowl, because I work there (and commute via bicycle), and I like Inner West very much, but moving is in order and some tips would be greatly appreciated.

If you move to Newtown you will be surrounded by every Sydgoon in the world. Living in Newtown/Marrickville is pretty rad also. I lived there for 2 years and had a great time. It's pricey, but if you're house sharing it shouldn't be too bad. Someone in the Sydgoons facebook group might be looking for someone too.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
13..14 kilometres from Wiley Park/Punchbowl is a bit too far by bike, I'm afraid. Makes sense with train, though

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
At risk of offending all of Australia by conflating them with New Zealand, I don't feel like it's thread-worthy to create a new one asking about New Zealand so please forgive me. I'll be moving to New Zealand for 2-3 months for work at Lyttelton. I'll likely be staying in Christchurch as it seems most apartments in Lyttelton/Sumner seem to be geared for tourists/short-term visitors.

Is there anything I should know about finding a longish-term apartment? I think I'll have to rent a car anyways but how's the public transportation in that area? What's the general culture and perception of foreigners there? What are some things I could do around that area for the weekends? Any little tips would be helpful in planning it out.

VVVVV Good to know about the beater cars, thanks! Yeah I'm actually there to be the on-site engineer for a wharf repair project that was damaged by the earthquake so I'm not too surprised that much of the area is still in ruin. What kind of rent prices should I be expecting for a 1B? From what I could tell, it seems to be about 800 - 1000 NZD a month which isn't too bad.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 3, 2013

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Christchurch got pretty much leveled by that earthquake and still hasn't really recovered. There's plenty of work there but don't expect the best in terms of social venues. Getting a car is a pretty good idea because the south island is full of awesome nature stuff and exploring will be a lot easier, plus NZ is full of beater cars that tourists buy for short stints and pass on when they leave - you won't have trouble finding a cheap car you can sell to the next guy when you leave.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What are the laws regarding open containers of alcohol in Australia? Is is state/city specific? Or can I drink a beer while walking down the street?

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Saint Fu posted:

What are the laws regarding open containers of alcohol in Australia? Is is state/city specific? Or can I drink a beer while walking down the street?

You definitely cannot in Queensland and I think all states are the same but would need to have this confirmed.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Saint Fu posted:

Its against the law, but you will only get in trouble if you bring attention to yourself. Or are brown. My partner and I often go for a long walk and take a bottle of wine and we have never been picked up for it, despite swigging from it in front of cops.

Also it's enforced a lot more in entertainment districts at night / on the weekend.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Saint Fu posted:

As long as you're not coloured and its in a brown paper bag, you'll be right.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron
Well, I'm still alive and still here but despite ACTUALLY GETTING A JOB I've been doing a lot of soul-searching over the past month or two and had a look at my finances and due to the fact that after my 3-hour induction at my Christmas job I've yet to be given a single shift (and the timesheet goes up to a fortnight from now, so that would be 5 weeks since the induction) I've decided to cut my losses and go home while I still have some semblance of savings left and enjoy Christmas and New Year at home, catch up with friends and family and get a job and start saving again.

I feel like I'm giving up, and my visa expires at the end of February so it's not even like I had that much time left but I honestly right now being so miserable can't justify spending the rest of my money supporting myself and doing poo poo until then. It's at the point where I can't be bothered doing anything because the costs of travelling and so on are just so high for me and really takes away any enjoyment from things. Unless I got full-time hours at this job for the whole of December and January (which is not going to happen, I'm one of eleven temps and yeah, still to even get a single shift) I won't even break even on accommodation costs which have obviously shot up with it being peak season. I feel sad, but I think it's time to admit defeat, go home and save up and come back and see the stuff I missed out on but on a much shorter timescale. I did finish all my regional work for the second visa but I doubt I'm going to apply for it at this stage.

My flight home is on the 11th Dec. I'm in Melbourne until Nov 27th at the moment and then I wanted to do one last trip away to like Uluru or something but I've not decided yet. I'm so fed up of organising travel and accommodation and all this malarky, ha.

Also my flight is at like 4pm and gets in at 5am which is basically the worst scheduling ever and also I land at Heathrow and live in Edinburgh and there really is nothing quite as irritating as getting off a 24-hour flight only to queue up and check in for a 45 minute one right after. OH WELP.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Gloomiebat posted:

Also my flight is at like 4pm and gets in at 5am which is basically the worst scheduling ever and also I land at Heathrow and live in Edinburgh and there really is nothing quite as irritating as getting off a 24-hour flight only to queue up and check in for a 45 minute one right after. OH WELP.

I think you'll find it's common enough for flights from Australia. Every flight (including the one I'm leaving on tomorrow) I've been on for London has left in the afternoon and arrived before 6AM.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

Octy posted:

I think you'll find it's common enough for flights from Australia. Every flight (including the one I'm leaving on tomorrow) I've been on for London has left in the afternoon and arrived before 6AM.

It's just a bit annoying because there is no way I'm going to fall asleep that early :v: Previously my flights have left between 10pm and midnight so at least you were sort of tired when you boarded. (This is me complaining about arbitrary poo poo when I'm lucky I was able to reschedule a flight this close to Christmas without having to sell a kidney, although it did involve phoning the airline all one evening and well into the afternoon the following day before anyone picked up! They've still not emailed me the e-ticket (though it is confirmed on my booking page) so I'll probably still be here come 2014.)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Gloomiebat posted:

It's just a bit annoying because there is no way I'm going to fall asleep that early
Take a Dramamine before your flight takes off. It will knock you out no matter how recently you woke up.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

If it's not the spiders, insects, crocodiles or dropbears, you'll be devastated by our high cost of living. Australia.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron
Yep, I'm fed up of being too skint to even get drunk to try and forget the fact I'm too skint to do anything. Back home to the land of cheap booze, minus temperatures and probably the same amount of unemployment (I have started looking for work and have seen a few promising openings in retail so I'll be applying nearer to my flight date in the hopes I can set myself up with at least a part-time job to tide me over) but at least I'll be able to crash at home for a little while in order to stave off haemorrhaging cash for a few weeks.

I'm really looking forward to seeing my friends and my old flatmate said he's probably having a new year party in my old flat so I'm pretty excited :) I'll come back to Australia, but probably not for a couple of years :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008
It sucks that you had such a rough time here, wish you all the best of luck back home. Also I thought america was the land of cheap booze and minus temperatures???