Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

Heroic Venom is up!

And it suuuuucks.

The limited hero selection is harsh. The progression rewards sucks. And even the placement rewards are pretty meh. IM40 is ok, he is apparently the tankiest hero in the game right now, but that is really all he has going for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Heroic Venom is up!

Looks like they're fiddling with the design of this one too - each mission is doable once, and then there'll probably a mission or two at the end that is repeatable, but the big thing is that every 12 hours everything resets and you can do the whole thing again.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Shwqa posted:

And it suuuuucks.

The limited hero selection is harsh. The progression rewards sucks. And even the placement rewards are pretty meh. IM40 is ok, he is apparently the tankiest hero in the game right now, but that is really all he has going for him.

It's decent for ISO if you can get to 125, you get a few free resets here and there. The thing that SUCKS is the forced Widow Original instead of being able to use any Widow. It's basically impossible to get a foothold here unless you can stun, so here's hoping you have a leveled up blue spidey hanging around or you may as well not even try.

On the bright side, there's about 4 missions I can easily do thanks to forced heroes or easy teams, since I have a leveled up Wolverine. Banking up enough red to use his slash, popping all his green tiles, and then the slash deals about 2000 damage at level 15. Gonna be sitting pretty on ISO now!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

HOLY poo poo

Let's go take a peek at who the Forced New Recruit is for the Ragnarok mission! The enemies are all minimum level 80, maybe it'll be a high level Spidey to lock him down?

NOPE gently caress YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Missions unlock themselves every 3 hours. So um that will be fun having to set an alarm and such....

Anyways luckily I got a max wolverine (thanks to this missions sweet sweet iso rewards), so I can probably beat every mission, so that is nice. However it is a slight kick in the teeth that wolverine's strike tile and healing don't get a boost as well.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Shwqa posted:

Missions unlock themselves every 3 hours. So um that will be fun having to set an alarm and such....

Anyways luckily I got a max wolverine (thanks to this missions sweet sweet iso rewards), so I can probably beat every mission, so that is nice. However it is a slight kick in the teeth that wolverine's strike tile and healing don't get a boost as well.

And yet...
Don't let the Maggia Muscle drop strike tiles on you. Those things were doing +290 damage apiece.

Boosted Wolverine is in fact tearing poo poo up. Shame the rest of my team is basically filler.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Found out what the three new boosts are.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Deep Winter posted:

Found out what the three new boosts are.

After you use them, they cost 200 hero points to buy.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

After you use them, they cost 200 hero points to buy.

And they are make me scroll through the screen for boost I actually want to use + ap.

I beat the last mission, it is repeatable but gets more difficult. Just like last time.

Edit: holy poo poo do not attempt yelena's last mission unless you got a awesome team. 450 strength strike tiles. 3100ish damage (before strike tiles) enemy tiles. 1200 damage to the whole team (before strike tiles) enemy tiles. Unless you can beat that 8,000 health Maggie muscle npc before he get a single tile off, you can't beat that mission. It is repeatable as well.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 23, 2013

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Shwqa posted:

And they are make me scroll through the screen for boost I actually want to use + ap.

I beat the last mission, it is repeatable but gets more difficult. Just like last time.

Edit: holy poo poo do not attempt yelena's last mission unless you got a awesome team. 450 strength strike tiles. 3100ish damage (before strike tiles) enemy tiles. 1200 damage to the whole team (before strike tiles) enemy tiles. Unless you can beat that 8,000 health Maggie muscle npc before he get a single tile off, you can't beat that mission.

Yeah, that mission is nasty, I wiped on it the first time (although one more match of any colour would have won it). Captain America definitely proved his worth to me there, taking out the strike tiles in hard-to-reach places.
I still reckon taking Yelena out first is the best option, at least then the AI can't make matches. You just have to worry about the aforementioned crazy damage countdowns.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
The Yelena mission is pretty reasonable if you save the +150% damage to Maggia boost for that mission, but holy crap the Daken-Rag-Veno end cap :(

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shwqa posted:

Edit: holy poo poo do not attempt yelena's last mission unless you got a awesome team. 450 strength strike tiles. 3100ish damage (before strike tiles) enemy tiles. 1200 damage to the whole team (before strike tiles) enemy tiles. Unless you can beat that 8,000 health Maggie muscle npc before he get a single tile off, you can't beat that mission. It is repeatable as well.

That said, it's easier than it could've been because it's Yelena and two Maggia, so once you off Yelena nobody's moving your tiles and stuns stop their tile countdowns. If it had been the old way where tiles just kept counting, fuggedaboudit.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

delfin posted:

That said, it's easier than it could've been because it's Yelena and two Maggia, so once you off Yelena nobody's moving your tiles and stuns stop their tile countdowns. If it had been the old way where tiles just kept counting, fuggedaboudit.

Huh I had much less trouble with the ragnarok mission. I mean I beat the yelena at full health, but I was 1 turn away from them getting 450 strength tile and second one the next turn. One mess up and I was screwed. Ragnarok is the biggest issue on his mission and he has less health than the Maggia muscle npc. Just play keep away with the red tile and kill ragnarok ASAP, which is pretty easy with feral claws' 80% boost. Then it was keep away with black tiles until you won.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I feel like these events are all designed to make me spread my ISO as thinly and evenly as possible. :( Also my Wolverine sucks really bad and this Heroic is pretty harsh.

I accidentally discovered a fun exploit last night that may or may not work for other people and may or may not get you in trouble. Apparently if you go into a match with a damaged team and then force close your app, your team will be at full health and you will have lost that match when you restart the app. This doesn't work on team members who have been downed during the match though. My phone crashed a few times last night and this happened every time. I haven't been doing it on purpose because I don't want to risk getting my account in trouble but I figured I'd throw that out there. This was on an Android phone by the way.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

For heroic Venom I have:

Level 30 Spider-Man (Maxed)
Level 45 Captain America (Max to 69)
Level 28 Wolveirne (Max to 37, but I am trying to get another cover from Avengers)
Level 21 Iron Man (Max to 50)
Level 14 Original Black Widow (Maxed)

Are all the people who are doing really well in this event just have a high level Wolverine or Spider-Man? I feel like I can't do much with both of them at mid levels.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fritzler posted:

For heroic Venom I have:

Level 30 Spider-Man (Maxed)
Level 45 Captain America (Max to 69)
Level 28 Wolveirne (Max to 37, but I am trying to get another cover from Avengers)
Level 21 Iron Man (Max to 50)
Level 14 Original Black Widow (Maxed)

Are all the people who are doing really well in this event just have a high level Wolverine or Spider-Man? I feel like I can't do much with both of them at mid levels.

Iron Man, Spidey, and Wolverine. Wolverine uses Green for strike tiles, but only do it when you have enough Red to use his nuke attack. Have Iron Man spend all your available Yellow on Armored Assault for protect tiles, and use Spidey's Blue to gum up the works.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good thing I've been levelling my Wolverine. Took me all the way through heroic, and through a few levels of the repeatables to end up in the top 6-ish before running out of heals. I've been using Wolverine for serious damage, Captain America for lockdowns with his blue, and Black Widow Original Fishnet Flavour for healing or Iron Man to tank when a light breeze knocks over Black Widow.

I got so many hero points out of this. I know better than to throw the dice at the heroic lottery though. I'll definitely end up with yet another Wolverine cover. :v:

The repeatable missions are brutal. Either face off against Daken/Venom/Rags, or Yelena/Muscle/Hitman.

Daaaamn so many things to do this weekend! And I thought it was going to be a boring one for PQ. :v:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'm using:

Level 85 wolverine 5/3/5
Level 21 captain America 3/5/4
Level 26 iron man model 35 5/5/3

Wolverine carries the weight but with his strike tiles ironman and captain's yellow and blue moves are useful.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I finished the 8 rewards for Yelena's repeatable and am starting on the Daken-Venom-Rag one now. I noticed that the points have increased -- I was getting 5 per repetition of Yelena's earlier, now I'm getting 21. At that rate I'll have the progression rewards done by morning.

EDIT: And now I'm back to 5. Must be some kind of rubberbanding going on.

Using:

Spider-Man L73 4/4/2
Wolverine L80 5/3/5
Captain America L57 3/5/5

which makes the Yelena one easy as pie, particularly with blue AP boosts - shut down Yelena and then either lock down the Maggia with webs or blow away countdown tiles with shields. The nice thing there is that since they're different types it's easy to tell whose tiles are whose.

delfin fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 23, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aaaah, I think I've found the downside to Black Widow Original's heal. Heals allies, not herself. Welp.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Torn on Heroic Venom, I want the Moonstone covers for placement but I also want Moonstone covers for rating. I think these might be mutually exclusive goals. Point reward per win shot up like crazy though, when I first did the missions they were worth 5 each, now they're worth 28.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, seems like there's bracket rubber banding going on.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

I really need to level my Cap for this Heroic. He just pulled out a match vs Yelena by stunlocking the last minion and taking out bad tiles. Then I lost the next one because I forgot to heal him up...

One more blue cover would be nice, too. The difference between being able to target a countdown tile and not is suddenly really huge.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
That's what got me about Juggy Heroic -- I'd spent all that time leveling Cap to be the perfect henchman demolition machine and then he was barred from it.

Okay, something really weird is going on. The points that it's showing and the points that I'm actually gaining aren't matching up, heavily in my favor.

delfin fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 24, 2013

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Even a lowbie classic Black Widow is pretty strong in this, +3 to all tile cooldowns for 11 blue, steal 2 YGBR AP for 5 purple, and then there's the 200% bonus to env tile matches that can help a lot. At level 14 she has 1848hp with the boost, which is nothing to sneeze at, and she regens ultra fast since it's 616hp in the real world

Definitely waiting til later in the cycle for next unlock of venom heroic, got 78 for one mission that was worth 10 when I first started this morning :(

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Guess I'm the rabbit, then. Just crossed 700 points.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Glad I'm not in your bracket. Easy breezy #1 at 250 points. :v:

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I was being a little dramatic earlier with not being able to do anything. Levelled up wolverine a bit, and it isn't too bad.

4th with 295, top is 367.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I just wish there was a way to de-level an ability one rank for Hero points or something. I screwed up and took my Wolverine to 2/4/3 and losing out on the 5th ranks of the green or yellow abilities is such a big deal I don't know if I want to sink ISOs into him. :sigh:

Choosing between a 50% increase in the cost of the green ability or being bound by the yellow tile restriction for heals is super lovely. I'll probably end up 5/4/4 but drat do I wish I could fix that.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jibo posted:

I feel like these events are all designed to make me spread my ISO as thinly and evenly as possible. :( Also my Wolverine sucks really bad and this Heroic is pretty harsh.

I accidentally discovered a fun exploit last night that may or may not work for other people and may or may not get you in trouble. Apparently if you go into a match with a damaged team and then force close your app, your team will be at full health and you will have lost that match when you restart the app. This doesn't work on team members who have been downed during the match though. My phone crashed a few times last night and this happened every time. I haven't been doing it on purpose because I don't want to risk getting my account in trouble but I figured I'd throw that out there. This was on an Android phone by the way.

Yeah I thought I noticed something like this when my phone crashed the other day. Don't worry though, you won't get into any trouble. They don't monitor anything client side.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Value of the repeatable when I am in first place in my bracket: 5 points.
Value of the repeatable when I am not in first place in my bracket: 60+ points.
Comedy value of the above: priceless.

EDIT: And thanks to a buddy with whom I've been trading the lead, I just finished the progression rewards.

delfin fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 24, 2013

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

delfin posted:

EDIT: And thanks to a buddy with whom I've been trading the lead, I just finished the progression rewards.

Hey bracket buddy. I just finished the progression rewards as well. The final Rag mission was giving me 79 a pop. Kinda ridiculous.

I lost my first and only attempt on the big Yelena mission. The Rag mission was doable enough once I got my Wolverine to mid 40's, so I never bothered.

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity
So most of the missions just reset for me... and they are giving out hundreds of ISO. I just blew past 1000 iso and now have all of the progression rewards. i'm sitting pretty at number 2 so now it shouldn't be a problem to stay in the top 100 even if i don't do much tomorrow. I would honestly be happy with any of the top 100 prizes.

and now it seems fixed. But that's alright i'm up 1800 points.

Starrett fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 24, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Starrett posted:

So most of the missions just reset for me... and they are giving out hundreds of ISO. I just blew past 1000 iso and now have all of the progression rewards. i'm sitting pretty at number 2 so now it shouldn't be a problem to stay in the top 100 even if i don't do much tomorrow. I would honestly be happy with any of the top 100 prizes.

and now it seems fixed. But that's alright i'm up 1800 points.

Yeah it says every 12 hours your mission unlocks. I didn't except everything to get me 200 points and 250 iso+rewards each match :stare:

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity
Now their are no repeatable missions for me :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

delfin posted:

You could just have waited for the reset and done missions for 250 points a pop. :smug:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

So I tested a new theory of mine. The idea is that you join brackets based on why you win your first Match. That would mean waiting a few hours before join a tournament, might be more likely to put you in a slacker bracket. That is how it worked in defender of texels (another mobile freemium game).

To test this I won my first 1* tournament battle. At 16 points I'm 133 rank out of 200. Top place is 200 points. How is everyone else bracket for the 1* tournament?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Shwqa posted:

So I tested a new theory of mine. The idea is that you join brackets based on why you win your first Match. That would mean waiting a few hours before join a tournament, might be more likely to put you in a slacker bracket. That is how it worked in defender of texels (another mobile freemium game).

To test this I won my first 1* tournament battle. At 16 points I'm 133 rank out of 200. Top place is 200 points. How is everyone else bracket for the 1* tournament?

It works best if you wait till the last day. I've ended up in some incredibly slack brackets and scooped nice rewards by waiting till around 12 hours before a tournament ends before joining. I plan to start Avengers tomorrow morning.

I jumped in 1* early cause I didn't care about the rank rewards, so mine tops out at 436 points. 10th is 343.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I have a feeling these last few challenges were designed to wean everybody off the CStorm/Thor teat, and I get that, but cripes am I getting my rear end beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Shwqa posted:

Yeah it works that way. I think it's mentioned on the official forums somewhere. And like BGrifter, it's also how I managed to get some really great rewards.