Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Here's the Crew mechanics, aimed at being as simple as possible! I would genuinely love feedback on this stuff; if it's not good, I've got other options and am willing to scrap/ redesign it from scratch.

The Crew
Your crew count as a single, multi-creatured Hireling! When you recruit a crew, describe them and pick a crew profile from the Hireling section. Instead of Injury, they have Life Remaining: this is proportional to the crew count needed to man the ship, and varies from -2 to +2 at full capacity; if it ever reaches -3 there are too few crew remaining to man the ship, and it will drift liftless until you can find more. The GM will tell you the crew's starting Loyalty and Life Remaining, depending on your hiring methods.

Here's the main crew move for making them do stuff while under fire:

Order Crew
When your order your crew to control the ship in a risky situation (e.g bring the sails to bear in a storm, fire the cannons, repair damage while under attack), roll +Loyalty. On a 10+ the task goes as ordered. On a 7-9, choose one:
* accidents cause casualties; the crew loses 1 Life Remaining
* it takes longer than expected, or you have to pull crew from another task to complete it. The GM will tell you the consequences
* your crew only manage to complete half the task, or at half the effectiveness.
* your crew are worked to the bone and exhausted; take -1 to work ship until your crew has rested.
* you have to force your crew into working; take -1 Loyalty.
If the Crew Life Remaining is at -1 or -2 take 1 or 2 extra options respectively.

That's definitely too many options, but I quite like them all. -1 forwards is clearly better than -1 Loyalty or -1 Life Remaining, so that'll probably change.

Mob Attack!
When you order your undisciplined crowd to attack, roll +Loyalty. If your order follows the crowd's instinct, add +1 to the roll. If it goes against their instinct, lose 1 Loyalty no matter the roll result.
On a hit your mob deal their damage and take an Injury/ lose 1 Life Remaining.
On a 10+ choose one. On a 7-9, choose two:
* the mob's attack catches something unintended
* lose 1 Loyalty
* the mob takes extra damage: take 1 more Injury/ Life Remaining
* the mob lose control, and won't answer any orders for a few moments

Highly disciplined units, like an Armoured Company, choose one option on a 7-9 and no options on a 10+.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
A friend of mine had asked me to do some adaptation for pirate crew moves, so I wrote up some general purpose stuff that uses the crew as a resource for the players to try interesting things. I made some little progress, but had never gotten to the point of figuring out how you win these battles other than fictional maneuvering. In any case, this stuff is all available for anyone who finds it useful:

Form a pirate crew!
When looking for crew, roll 1d6+CHA for each player. This number is the number of willing souls to join you crew - and the total of all players is the limit of the men and women you can lead. This total does not take into account the players.

ex:
Adam rolls a 4+1 CHA mod (5)
Beverly rolls a 2+2 CHA mod (4)
Chase rolls a 6+0 CHA mod (6)
The group’s final crew manifest can be 15 members total, plus the three players.

This crew is your family! They live with you, drink with you, and by the gods, they’ll probably die with you too - but you’re family until the end. Use the roster builder to name your crew and give each one a characteristic.
If a crew member takes a wound, they are out of the fight. If you lead a crew member with a wound, they become a casualty after the move resolves.
If a crew member becomes a casualty, they are dead or dying. At the end of a battle, any casualty goes to Davy Jones’ Locker permanently - don’t .erase them from the manifest, cross their names out and pour out a drink for them, and add new crew to the bottom of the list when you find ‘em.

Lead your crew in huge fights!
YOU CAN ONLY USE THESE MOVES WHILE YOU ARE LEADING CREW!!!
If you single out the opposing forces’ toughest fighter for one on one combat, roll+STR. On a 10+, that fighter engages with only you, on equal terms. On a 9-7, that fighter immediately surprises you and gets a tactical advantage, the DM will tell you how.

If you lead a hit and run operation with your crew, roll+DEX. On 10+, you and your crew take out a large group of scallywags, and only take 1d6 wounds. On a 7-9, you and your crew take out a small group of scallywags, but your crew takes 1d6 wounds and 1d4 casualties as well.

If you wade into battle, ignore your injuries and counting on your crew to protect you, roll+CON. On a 10+, you roll a 1d6+2 and use that as your armor for the rest of the battle. On a 7-9, you roll a 1d4 and use that for your armor. If you take any damage above your new armor, a crew member takes the wound for you instead and immediately becomes a casualty. You ignore any other armor bonuses you have for the duration of the battle. Whatever you rolled, after the battle, you need immediate medical attention, or at least a flagon of ale.

If you describe and lead a strategic gambit that will risk a few (1d6) crew members, roll+INT. On a 10+, the gambit succeeds and the crew survives. On a 7-9, the crew members become casualties, but the gambit only partially succeeded. Your enemy might wiggle loose still!

If you attempt to cut off crew from danger, roll+WIS. On a 10+, you are able to redirect a danger from injured crew - remove two wounds from injured crew members and one casualty recovers. On a 7-9, you are only able to protect one crewmember - either remove one wound from a crew member, or heal a casualty. Then any other crew member with a wound becomes a casualty.

If you rally injured crew to return to battle, roll+CHA. On a 10+, you rouse the wounded and almost dead crew - remove wounds from 1d6+2 crew members. On a 7-9, you rouse some crew, but others abandon your cause - reduce your crew roster by 2 and remove wounds from 1d6 crew members.

OTHER MOVES

Order crew to do dangerous things!
If you order a crew member to do something dangerous, roll+CHA. On a 10+, the crew member completes the task and barely escapes with their lives. On a 7-9, the crew member advances the task but does not finish it, and becomes entangled in the danger. On a miss, the crew member confronts or distracts the danger, and the task becomes much more difficult.

Take a chance to even the odds!
When you know the stakes are dire and you can’t afford to fail, choose a crew member and explain how they can help you accomplish whatever you want to do. Then roll 2d6. On a 10+, the crew member takes a wound helping you, but you can add +2 ongoing to achieve your goal. On a 7-9, take a +1 to your next roll, but your crew member dies giving you the chance.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
We had the second session of our pirate game last night and it was amazing. At the end of last session the Captain had to make a choice between cutting line for the sails and slowing the ship, or letting his First Mate's leg get crushed. Since he slowed the ship and they had been damaged by another ship's broadsides, they decided to limp into port and fix it up. The Captain then made a choice to let his men have more leave time, therefore taking longer to fix the ship but getting +1 Loyalty in the process. This was, however, before they found out other Imperial ships would be coming to the town soon.

The Dashing Hero rolled for his Lover in Every Port move and got a 5, so of course they were met with some setbacks since an ex lover snuck onto their ship and let their prisoners loose. I've been using Something Stirs in Blackscale Brakes for ideas and moves so they're in the town of Reedsport. They find themselves out of money because they pay for all the repairs, but find that someone's willing to pay in order for them to find his friend who disappeared out in the swamp.

Highlights:

*One of the prisoners is infected with some kind of parasitic thing and coughs it up. The Captain and his First Mate go looking for it, only to find it has infected the ship's cat and gestated.

*The Brute is attacked by a giant alligator in the swamp and barely escapes with his life after it gets him in a death roll. They finally wound it enough that it takes off.

*The Pirate, the Brute, and the Fanatic (with a group of crazy scared dudes he riled up at the tavern after scaring the poo poo out of them), find an old, abandoned fort (that unkown to them was abandoned after fungus zombies attacked it). Half the redshirts they brought with them have died in one way or another, they are wounded, and they're scared. It's awesome.

The Supreme Court posted:

Here's the Crew mechanics, aimed at being as simple as possible! I would genuinely love feedback on this stuff; if it's not good, I've got other options and am willing to scrap/ redesign it from scratch.

These are great! I can't wait to wrap these into our campaign.

I'm working on a move right now that would allow a captain to make their ship a Ship of the Line.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 24, 2013

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Hey everyone!

I just started Dungeon World with some friends. So far, we love it. It does everything we want, has just enough crunch and character building to be fun, and doesn't have baggage we don't care about.

I like the new simple hirelings rules - the current ones are not bad, but depending on how much effort you want to put into fleshing out a hireling, the simple rules are great for fast generation.

I had a question about custom playbooks - has anyone taken a crack at the venerable archtype of the Muscle Wizard yet?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Laphroaig posted:

I had a question about custom playbooks - has anyone taken a crack at the venerable archtype of the Muscle Wizard yet?

I made a kind of Muscle Wizard. And I know someone's done a STR-stat swap of the core Wizard, but I don't know where that is offhand.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

gnome7 posted:

I made a kind of Muscle Wizard. And I know someone's done a STR-stat swap of the core Wizard, but I don't know where that is offhand.

There's also the Channeler from Grim World. Well, it's magic requires more hardiness than muscle, but that's still pretty close. Not sure if there's a way for nonbackers to get the final version of the playbook at this point, but it's there.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

There's also the Channeler from Grim World. Well, it's magic requires more hardiness than muscle, but that's still pretty close. Not sure if there's a way for nonbackers to get the final version of the playbook at this point, but it's there.

Just going to go out on a limb here - what if you channeled the element of Fist, through your Fists?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mimir posted:

Just going to go out on a limb here - what if you channeled the element of Fist, through your Fists?

I imagine it would look something like this.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?

gnome7 posted:

When can we get our grubby mitts on the full version of this?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Jonathan Walton released a beta of a new supplement in the Planarch Codex line. This one is an adventure module.

(G+ discussion thread here if anyone wants to comment directly at him.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 25, 2013

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Jonathan Walton released a beta of a new supplement in the Planarch Codex line. This one is an adventure module.

I got more interested in the framing scenario than reading the adventures. Where is my Havana23?

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

A little late to the party but here's some feedback:

What does it mean to have +1-2 Life Remaining? Are they surplus crew? If so, you've got more crew than you need - what does the excess crew do? If not, why is it that having enough crew is represented with a bonus? I think it would make sense to retain the Injury track for multi-creature hirelings - it's more simple and it's more consistent. It's like damage to gangs vs. damage to individuals in AW - they both have harm clocks, they both take harm, but the fictional outcome is different. It's a broken arm vs. a few dead pirates and scattered injuries.

In that vein, a full Injury track might not mean they're all dead - maybe it just means they're not in a state to act as hirelings. Maybe they're permanently disabled, maybe there's a few individuals left over but not enough for a skeleton crew - whatever. Maybe that goes for individual hirelings, too - they don't have to die when their injury track fills up, it just means you can't use them as hirelings again. Maybe they're retired, maybe they come back as a villain if they blame you for their near-death. A full Injury track only means the mechanical entity that is the Hireling has ceased to exist.

I'm really interested to hear how Injury interacts with Loyalty. I'm thinking the Injury track could introduce penalties, but that might be a bit complex. Roll+Loyalty+Injury - Injury boxes might have numbers in them - eg. 0, -1, -2, incapacitated - and as you crossed the boxes you'd treat the next uncrossed box as a penalty. eg. X0, X-1, penalty is -2. This idea needs work but I feel like it would work really well with Order Crew - you'd have more people rushing around, getting exhausted and being pulled off other jobs as the crew was thinned out.

Speaking of which, the way Order Crew is written feels a lot like a Defy Danger type move - I don't think "fire the cannons" makes much sense here. I'm not sure how you're handling naval combat so I couldn't say what you should replace it with, but I personally would have a separate move for what is essentially Hack & Slash. More broadly, you should be careful when you're writing hirelings that Loyalty doesn't become some omnicapability stat.

You're definitely right in thinking no one would pick -1 Loyalty or -1 Life because that would make bad rolls compound faster - in one case they're happening more often and in the next they're worse when they do happen. -1 Loyalty is pretty much -1 ongoing to Work Ship but more permanent. Consider adding some mechanic which says you can burn 1 Loyalty in order to transform a Hireling's roll from 7-9 or even a 6- to a 10+ - I'm not sure how much Loyalty is worth in game so I can't say how big the boon should be. Just say it represents an exceptional effort on the part of the Hireling - above and beyond the call of duty.

Here's a rewrite for Order Crew. I've removed the bits on taking too long and doing half the job because you can pretty much represent that with more granular rolls - if it's time sensitive, have the crew make rolls more often as everyone's racing around.

Order Crew
When your order your crew to control the ship in a risky situation (e.g bring the sails to bear in a storm, repair damage while under attack), roll +Loyalty. On a 10+ the task goes as ordered. On a 7-9, choose one:
* You have to pull crew from another task to complete it. The GM will tell you the consequences
* Your crew only managed a stop-gap solution - it's liable to fall apart at any moment.
* Your crew are worked to the bone and exhausted; take -1 to Work Ship until your crew has rested.

I really love Mob Attack - the "lose loyalty no matter what if they act against their Instinct" mechanic is so elegant! But when you say "goes against their Instinct" do you mean "goes directly against" or simply "does not go for"? I think if the mob's angry about one very specific thing you should say "does not go for" - any action which isn't in some way working towards fulfilling that Instinct is going to be rejected. Maybe you could represent that with a tag - driven or tunnel-vision or monomaniacal or something. There has to be an elegant way of saying it. You could use it on individual hirelings too!

Otherwise, assume a Hireling will only lose 1 Loyalty if you command them to do something which straight up contravenes their Instinct. Driven hirelings just won't act against their Instinct at all - this isn't to say you couldn't change their Instinct, provide the Mob with a new target. I'm assuming that would be very hard to do once the momentum's going though. This raises the question of how Hirelings relate to their Instincts though - is a Hireling still the same Hireling if its Instinct changes? Maybe you're not changing their Instinct, but its target. Let's say you've got a Hireling - 'Angry Mob' - with Instinct: Eradicate the object of its anger. You could change the object of anger without changing the Instinct.

I'm not sure fulfilling their Instinct should provide a +1 bonus to the action though. Maybe allowing a Hireling to fulfill its Instinct to the extreme, at the cost of something else always counts as Fulfilling a cost and restores 1 Loyalty. In regards to the rest of the move, I don't think the Mob should take 1 Injury every time they use it. Keep the Injury option though - it could represent people getting trampled, elements of the mob turning against each other and so on. Here's a rewrite of the move:

Mob Attack!
When you order your undisciplined crowd to attack, roll +Loyalty. If your order follows the crowd's instinct, add +1 to the roll. If it goes against their instinct, lose 1 Loyalty.
On a hit your mob deal their damage and take an Injury/ lose 1 Life Remaining.
On a 10+ choose one. On a 7-9, choose two:
* The Mob loses momentum - lose 1 Loyalty.
* The Mob suffers an Injury.
* You lose control of the Mob for a few moments.

I'm unsure about the last option there - it seems like it could encompass almost anything, particularly the "attack something unintended" option. If I was you I'd get rid of the unintended violence option - if the Mob loses control, they run amuck and commit atrocities. Violence, arson, capturing slaves - you're broadening the scope of what they can do, stuff beyond violence. They give in to the terrible inhumanity of the moment!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Oh god, that's beautiful. I am going to write ALL THE LOVE LETTERS.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

madadric posted:

I got more interested in the framing scenario than reading the adventures. Where is my Havana23?

You're going to need to read Italo Calvino's If on a winter's night a traveller, right now, or as soon as is reasonable. This whole thing is done after that book. Since I have already read it, I feel entirely justified in saying that this spot on.

Is the main Planarch Codex patterned after Invisible Cities? If so, I need it in my life.

Mimir fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 26, 2013

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Mimir posted:

Is the main Planarch Codex patterned after Invisible Cities? If so, I need it in my life.

It's listed as an inspiration and there's a section which refers to Invisible Cities as one of the sources you might want to use for coming up with new parishes in Dis.

And yes, you need this thing in your life.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Bigup DJ posted:

A little late to the party but here's some feedback:

What does it mean to have +1-2 Life Remaining? Are they surplus crew? If so, you've got more crew than you need - what does the excess crew do? If not, why is it that having enough crew is represented with a bonus? I think it would make sense to retain the Injury track for multi-creature hirelings - it's more simple and it's more consistent. It's like damage to gangs vs. damage to individuals in AW - they both have harm clocks, they both take harm, but the fictional outcome is different. It's a broken arm vs. a few dead pirates and scattered injuries.

In that vein, a full Injury track might not mean they're all dead - maybe it just means they're not in a state to act as hirelings. Maybe they're permanently disabled, maybe there's a few individuals left over but not enough for a skeleton crew - whatever. Maybe that goes for individual hirelings, too - they don't have to die when their injury track fills up, it just means you can't use them as hirelings again. Maybe they're retired, maybe they come back as a villain if they blame you for their near-death. A full Injury track only means the mechanical entity that is the Hireling has ceased to exist.
Replacing Injury with Life Remaining is simple enough, they're literally the same thing, only renamed for larger entities. I originally had that, changed it for clarity, but I'm

Injury definitely doesn't mean death! A Hireling at 0 Injury is too broken to move or dead, larger mobs are the same. I like that we're thinking along similar lines, though I hadn't considered Hirelings coming back for vengeance as villains. That's great!

quote:

I'm really interested to hear how Injury interacts with Loyalty. I'm thinking the Injury track could introduce penalties, but that might be a bit complex. Roll+Loyalty+Injury - Injury boxes might have numbers in them - eg. 0, -1, -2, incapacitated - and as you crossed the boxes you'd treat the next uncrossed box as a penalty. eg. X0, X-1, penalty is -2. This idea needs work but I feel like it would work really well with Order Crew - you'd have more people rushing around, getting exhausted and being pulled off other jobs as the crew was thinned out.
This is a drat good idea! I've integrated it in a simple way for now for ordinary Hirelings:
When a Hireling is at more than half Injured, take -1 Loyalty ongoing (provided those injuries were caused in your service/ your fault)
When a Hireling takes full Injury, they lose 1 Loyalty permanently
I'll take a proper look at it later, and see how I can make it better/ work it for groups.

quote:

Speaking of which, the way Order Crew is written feels a lot like a Defy Danger type move - I don't think "fire the cannons" makes much sense here. I'm not sure how you're handling naval combat so I couldn't say what you should replace it with, but I personally would have a separate move for what is essentially Hack & Slash. More broadly, you should be careful when you're writing hirelings that Loyalty doesn't become some omnicapability stat.
The move is mainly to represent the crew doing something while under fire (like fixing the sails, turning the ship): I probably shouldn't have included "fire the cannons", as attacking is a separate action. I really like the idea of burning 1 Loyalty to upgrade a dice roll.

quote:

Here's a rewrite for Order Crew. I've removed the bits on taking too long and doing half the job because you can pretty much represent that with more granular rolls - if it's time sensitive, have the crew make rolls more often as everyone's racing around.

Order Crew
When your order your crew to control the ship in a risky situation (e.g bring the sails to bear in a storm, repair damage while under attack), roll +Loyalty. On a 10+ the task goes as ordered. On a 7-9, choose one:
* You have to pull crew from another task to complete it. The GM will tell you the consequences
* Your crew only managed a stop-gap solution - it's liable to fall apart at any moment.
* Your crew are worked to the bone and exhausted; take -1 to Work Ship until your crew has rested.
Awesome! I was really quite attached to the "takes more time" and would never have cut it out myself, but I actually like this a lot more.

quote:

I really love Mob Attack
I'm out of time for the rest! I'll get back to you in a bit.

Overemotional Robot posted:

*The Pirate, the Brute, and the Fanatic (with a group of crazy scared dudes he riled up at the tavern after scaring the poo poo out of them), find an old, abandoned fort (that unkown to them was abandoned after fungus zombies attacked it). Half the redshirts they brought with them have died in one way or another, they are wounded, and they're scared. It's awesome.

I'm working on a move right now that would allow a captain to make their ship a Ship of the Line.
Your game sounds like so much fun! I'd love to see your Ship of the Line move.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Inspired by a conversation on G+, I'm attempting to write another non-vancian magic using class - The Sorcerer

It's similar to the mage in that you have aligned elements, but I've organized it into statements describing the types of forces you can bring to bear, the kinds of things you can affect with your power, and the methods you use to focus your magic.

There's not much there, but feel free to make suggestions, ask questions, and poke holes.

madadric fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 27, 2013

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

madadric posted:

Inspired by a conversation on G+, I'm attempting to write another non-vancian magic using class - The Sorcerer

It's similar to the mage in that you have aligned elements, but I've organized it into statements describing the types of forces you can bring to bear, the kinds of things you can affect with your power, and the methods you use to focus your magic.

There's not much there, but feel free to make suggestions, ask questions, and poke holes.

This is cool! I decided to have a go at writing a non-vancian magic user myself: The Conjurer

It's pretty much hacked together from Mage: The Awakening. Conjurers select 2 Spheres and 2 Practices, and they're incapable of casting outside them. Beyond that they're all about phenomenal cosmic power, hubris and arrogance. I'm very happy with my Practices. If anyone's got any comments, I'd love to hear them!

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.

madadric posted:

I think this class is a pretty good idea that suffers from way too many options, maybe too many to comfortably fit on a sheet. There are eight elements and a blank without too many hints on how to make use of them, six talents and a blank, four focuses (and no blank, weirdly, this is where I would put Kung Fu to make an earthbender!), the Laws of Sorcery, and we haven't even gotten to a move yet! I think you could absolutely just leave elements off and replace it with "I draw power from _______" and rely on talents to guide your actions and power.

Hex's functionality could probably be folded into Sorcery without too much extra work, not just because Sorcery is very similar to Mage's Cast a Spell, but because the Hex Drawbacks would be cool to see on non-combat Sorcery. Charm is relatively weak as written, and could benefit from the addition of either healing, armor, or something to patch up the other characters without the need for a "divine caster."

I love Touch of Power even though you're technically supposed to be able to do it with Fiction First, its a good, short addition that screams "I'm the Avatar, deal with it!"

Unfortunately, your biggest problem with Sorcerer is going to be separating from Mage. Right now they're similar enough that it's hard to see the differences. You may need to take your mechanics in some wildly new and divergent direction, or you're going to be looking at a D&D 3.5 sorcerer/wizard split where two classes are just a shade of technical difference from one another. The fiction is definitely there, the mechanics just need to catch up with it.

By the way, were the eight focuses intentionally patterned after Secret of Mana or was that a happy accident?

(Also I am going to pretend in my heart that I somehow influenced the Laws of Sorcery mechanic. :3:)

Bigup DJ posted:

This is cool! I decided to have a go at writing a non-vancian magic user myself: The Conjurer

It's pretty much hacked together from Mage: The Awakening. Conjurers select 2 Spheres and 2 Practices, and they're incapable of casting outside them. Beyond that they're all about phenomenal cosmic power, hubris and arrogance. I'm very happy with my Practices. If anyone's got any comments, I'd love to hear them!

This is a very rough start, but I'll do my best to help with what you've got.

WoD Mage is a finicky matter to translate, mostly because some of the Spheres only make sense with some explanation (Fate, Forces, Spirit, and Life in particular.) What does it mean to conjure fate or unravel forces? Can I know prime? What does that do? It also suffers from old-player problems, like what if I want to combine Spheres the way I do in Mage? Can I combine Forces and Spirit to anchor ghosts to the ceiling? Does Spirit + Life raise the dead? From what's written so far, its hard to tell.

Theurgic Halo is a great flavor idea that is brought down by its own move. I've only played Ascension but I think Theurgic Halo automatically happens when you cast spells. You could very easily take the current move and make it an easy 2-5 Advance, and write out "This is my Theurgic Halo, something that happens every time I push the on the boundaries of reality."

Unfortunately, that's all you've got so far! This is a neat idea with no meat on it yet. Mage is my second favorite WoD splat, and I look forward to how you manage Paradox, which is the defining and arguably coolest thing about WoD Mages.

Also, instead of Conjurer, since you're basing it on Ascension/Awakening, why not The Ascended/The Awakened?

EscortMission fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 27, 2013

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.
Since I'm doing a bunch of critique tonight it seems, I should probably release my own half-cocked ideas out into the wild so that others can ravage them.

There are already a lot of +STR classes so far, but I was thinking about The Elf and Savage Species' racial classes where you could just start as a medusa or an ithillid from level 1 and I came up with this. Its something of a combination of werewolves, beauty and the beast, and Shadowrun Dog shamans, hopefully kind of a departure from "beefy warrior guy".

https://www.mediafire.com/?tppttmosmq2dhs8

The problems I have so far is that its very hard to justify ever leaving beast form, since almost all of your abilities rely on having it active. I was going to have the Background be "adventuring career" with a basic move that reflects what your human form "does" but I couldn't come up with an elegant way to word any of them.

(Also before anyone asks, yes I dug through Number Appearing for ideas, but the Lycanthrope CC is more focused on spreading lycanthropy than being a huge Lunar warform that hulks out and ruins whatever is in front of it.)

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

EscortMission posted:

Since I'm doing a bunch of critique tonight it seems, I should probably release my own half-cocked ideas out into the wild so that others can ravage them.

There are already a lot of +STR classes so far, but I was thinking about The Elf and Savage Species' racial classes where you could just start as a medusa or an ithillid from level 1 and I came up with this. Its something of a combination of werewolves, beauty and the beast, and Shadowrun Dog shamans, hopefully kind of a departure from "beefy warrior guy".

https://www.mediafire.com/?tppttmosmq2dhs8

The problems I have so far is that its very hard to justify ever leaving beast form, since almost all of your abilities rely on having it active. I was going to have the Background be "adventuring career" with a basic move that reflects what your human form "does" but I couldn't come up with an elegant way to word any of them.

(Also before anyone asks, yes I dug through Number Appearing for ideas, but the Lycanthrope CC is more focused on spreading lycanthropy than being a huge Lunar warform that hulks out and ruins whatever is in front of it.)

I like it! Have a look at the Beast as described in Vampire: The Requiem - that might be useful. Here's some rough feedback:

Have a 'Predatory Senses' move - maybe rewrite or expand Bloodhound so you can smell fear, weakness - incredibly accute senses. Turn For Who Could Love A Beast into a core move because it's a really interesting design space - maybe tag one of your bonds and call it an Anchor. Your Anchor gets a bonus to coaxing you out of The Change, bringing you back to your humanity. Can people aid your roll to use Man or Beast? If you harm your Anchor, you can come out of The Change immediately as if you rolled 10+ on Man or Beast.

The Berserk is really worth looking at - especially their snowballing Rage+Frenzy mechanic. Manifest features of the change one by one - speaking of which, I think you should split up your bestial features a bit. I think the problem with the Berserk is every one of their moves has to do with combat - there's more room in the Beast for not-strictly-combat moves than there is in the Berserk. Bloodlust - "When you give in to the beast and engage in an act of monstrous violence, take +1 Forward to your next physical action."

You should always be tempted to give in to your Beast. Manifest another bestial feature when you commit a monstrous act. Do monstrous things, gain monstrous power - "hold 1 Monstrosity". Here's an idea - make two lists, one of downsides, one of upsides. When you give in to the beast, take one of each, sort of like Rage+Frenzy rolled into one move.

Edit:

EscortMission posted:

This is a very rough start, but I'll do my best to help with what you've got.

WoD Mage is a finicky matter to translate, mostly because some of the Spheres only make sense with some explanation (Fate, Forces, Spirit, and Life in particular.) What does it mean to conjure fate or unravel forces? Can I know prime? What does that do? It also suffers from old-player problems, like what if I want to combine Spheres the way I do in Mage? Can I combine Forces and Spirit to anchor ghosts to the ceiling? Does Spirit + Life raise the dead? From what's written so far, its hard to tell.

Theurgic Halo is a great flavor idea that is brought down by its own move. I've only played Ascension but I think Theurgic Halo automatically happens when you cast spells. You could very easily take the current move and make it an easy 2-5 Advance, and write out "This is my Theurgic Halo, something that happens every time I push the on the boundaries of reality."

Unfortunately, that's all you've got so far! This is a neat idea with no meat on it yet. Mage is my second favorite WoD splat, and I look forward to how you manage Paradox, which is the defining and arguably coolest thing about WoD Mages.

Also, instead of Conjurer, since you're basing it on Ascension/Awakening, why not The Ascended/The Awakened?

I just saw this! Thanks for looking over it - this is very helpful. It's very bare right now, but I'm fleshing it out as I post.

On one hand, the spheres are there because I'm lazy and I thought they'd do well enough as they were. On the other hand, I'm really interested in how Apocalypse World handles Playbooks - the way in which they say something about the world. I want the fact that there's a sphere of Spirit to imply a spirit world whose reality is fleshed out in play through Spout Lore and so on.

I get your point about conjure fate and unravel forces. I could give examples for both, but that's not the point - the mechanic is very broad and so there's quite a few bits which don't interlock too well, certain combinations of Sphere and Practice which are frankly better than others. Beyond that, some of the irreducible pieces of it aren't that great - Weaving is cool, but it's unclear. I might split it into Warping and Commanding. It might also be worth looking at Ars Magica's system of magic. It's a very big mechanic with lots of combinations and I'm really not sure how to do a good job of those yet.

I've folded Theurge's Halo into another move, Mystic Fugue. Mystic Fugue's worked off the same mechanic as the one I expanded on from the Berserk - narrative trigger → +1 Boon, +1 Drawback - Theurge's Halo is a drawback, the drawback being that it's a threatening manifestation of your power. The fact that it's sort of a sub-move now means I can just say it's mostly fictional and allow it to achieve minor narrative effects. I'm going to take some mechanics from the Dragon Mage and have moves which permanently bestow and enhance certain elements of the Mystic Fugue.

I like the sound of the Ascendant, but I'm not changing it until I've found something I'm really happy with.

Something else I want to investigate - Moves, Backgrounds, Drives and so on which come with embedded Fronts & Dangers.

Bigup DJ fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 28, 2013

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Five days left to back the Pirate World Kickstarter!

A massive thanks to everyone in this thread for all the advice and funding. I literally wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for you guys, and the project is at over £5000 raised right now, thanks to your help!

The Supreme Court posted:

Here's my kickstarter: Pirate World!

Here's the Kickstarter

I am SO EXCITED.

Here's what comes in the hardback, 180 page book with full page colour illustrations by a couple of awesome goons:

7+ classes. 6 completely new and one fan favourite: THE BRUTE! Each class has a third page too, filled with death moves, magic items, designer notes and space for describing your character in more depth.
tons of new races, from festering amphibs to massive crustaceans, and wonderful takes on the current races (soviet style dwarves, gunpowder-addicted goblins, volcano cultist lizardmen)
20+ BACKGROUNDS: a whole new system to customise your character from level 1 onwards. Now you're not just a Brute; you're a Brute Cultist, or a Necromantic Brute, or, perhaps scariest of all, a Cannibal Brute!
Beautiful illustrations+; both full page (Joseph Irizarry) and inset (Jonathan Choby). You can get a print of Joseph Irizarry's illustration separately, and they're stunning!
HIRELINGS: a total overhaul to the Dungeon World style. Hirelings are now unique creatures, with their own moves, personalities and styles. The book has a massive section on hirelings, and you can get your own character included!
LUNCHEON WORLD: A guide to streamlining Dungeon World so you can eat it over a sandwich, or play it online
And tons more+, including ship fighting, island discovery, brutal combat...

Example art from the artists (both goons, madsketcher and Elderbean):

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Bigup DJ posted:

I really like Sacred Lore: I'd make rewriting Reality the base part of the move, as that's pretty much an advanced Spout Lore.

I really like the mix of practice and spheres. Stuff like "Unravelling Matter" and "Warding Life" sound cool. I do think they need a core move behind them though, to solidify the concepts into action. You could use options like area, power of effect, range, damage to give a 10+, 7-9 bunch of options.

Howabout a sphere of fire? Everyone loves fire mages!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 28, 2013

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
In Mage that'd be under Forces which covers basically everything we think of as energy and a few other things besides.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Until five minutes ago Dungeon World didn't have a Wikipedia page (deleted for lack of notability). I've done a first cut that needs a lot of cleaning up but would anyone else like to add anything to or edit the page.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

EscortMission posted:

I think this class is a pretty good idea that suffers from way too many options, maybe too many to comfortably fit on a sheet. There are eight elements and a blank without too many hints on how to make use of them, six talents and a blank, four focuses (and no blank, weirdly, this is where I would put Kung Fu to make an earthbender!), the Laws of Sorcery, and we haven't even gotten to a move yet! I think you could absolutely just leave elements off and replace it with "I draw power from _______" and rely on talents to guide your actions and power.

Hex's functionality could probably be folded into Sorcery without too much extra work, not just because Sorcery is very similar to Mage's Cast a Spell, but because the Hex Drawbacks would be cool to see on non-combat Sorcery. Charm is relatively weak as written, and could benefit from the addition of either healing, armor, or something to patch up the other characters without the need for a "divine caster."

I love Touch of Power even though you're technically supposed to be able to do it with Fiction First, its a good, short addition that screams "I'm the Avatar, deal with it!"

Unfortunately, your biggest problem with Sorcerer is going to be separating from Mage. Right now they're similar enough that it's hard to see the differences. You may need to take your mechanics in some wildly new and divergent direction, or you're going to be looking at a D&D 3.5 sorcerer/wizard split where two classes are just a shade of technical difference from one another. The fiction is definitely there, the mechanics just need to catch up with it.

By the way, were the eight focuses intentionally patterned after Secret of Mana or was that a happy accident?

(Also I am going to pretend in my heart that I somehow influenced the Laws of Sorcery mechanic. :3:)

Thanks for the advice, it's definitely helped me narrow in on my concept for the class.

I've rolled both Hex and Charm into Sorcery to make it all one move, and most of the advanced moves that modify the core starting moves, though they need a lot more flavorful names and perhaps conditions.

I've also got two routes to pursue for the backgrounds, either origins that let you choose which stat modifier the main Sorcery moves use, or inner darkness, which allows you to cast certain forbidden magics without blackening your soul and gaining Wither.

I also created the Wither mechanic, which is what happens when you use forbidden sorcery - everything comes at a cost, and some costs are higher than others. I could actually move all the consequences for sorcery to the Blackened Soul move, and just have the player gain Wither and the GM then spend it.

I think I was probably subconsciously influenced by SoM on the elements. Laws of Sorcery was part of a discussion that I think you were involved in, and drawn from the Dresden Files for the sorts of things that limit magic.

Current Version

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Hey everyone! I'm starting an IRC game - here.

Also Madadric, that looks way better and I like the Wither mechanic too. I'll give you some more substantial feedback tomorrow!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, sparked by a brainwave cresting off the Fate shore, I came up with this little helper bit for DW. Often there are a lot of stats that might make sense for Defy Danger, so how do you frame what you're doing appropriately? Well...
  • +str: Say what you're trying to push, and what you hope doesn't break. (feel free to get metaphorical. Your barbarian may be trying to push the merchants around and hoping he doesn't break the peace)
  • +dex: Say what you're racing against, and what you can't do to win. (either can't as in incapable or can't as in unwilling)
  • +con: Say why you could do this all day, and why you really don't want to.
  • +int: Say what fact your plan hinges on, and why you can't possibly be wrong. (The "possibly" is in massive, massive sarcasm quotes.)
  • +wis: Say what you're focusing on, and what you mustn't ignore.
  • +cha: Say whose sympathies you're playing to, and why they should even care.
Also, when you're rolling to aid someone, say what you're putting at risk to help them.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

So, sparked by a brainwave cresting off the Fate shore, I came up with this little helper bit for DW. Often there are a lot of stats that might make sense for Defy Danger, so how do you frame what you're doing appropriately? Well...
  • +str: Say what you're trying to push, and what you hope doesn't break. (feel free to get metaphorical. Your barbarian may be trying to push the merchants around and hoping he doesn't break the peace)
  • +dex: Say what you're racing against, and what you can't do to win. (either can't as in incapable or can't as in unwilling)
  • +con: Say why you could do this all day, and why you really don't want to.
  • +int: Say what fact your plan hinges on, and why you can't possibly be wrong. (The "possibly" is in massive, massive sarcasm quotes.)
  • +wis: Say what you're focusing on, and what you mustn't ignore.
  • +cha: Say whose sympathies you're playing to, and why they should even care.
Also, when you're rolling to aid someone, say what you're putting at risk to help them.

Oooh, I really like this. Not as an all the time thing but for new players especially.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Would it be possible to update the 'classes' section of the OP with the classes that are in the various supplements? I was trying to pick out a class earlier and I totally forgot that Inverse World and friends had classes.

Also, here are some draft words, if you're into that kind of thing:

quote:

Over the unknown span of its existence, the sojourns of the leviathan have gradually taken on a routine pattern. It is the shadow which makes the first impression on locals; often mistaken for a solar eclipse, the leviathan can block out a country’s sun for weeks at a time when it appears over populated areas. It is crewed by a curious, simian species which will occasionally descend to the earth below. They’re an odd bunch, but they usually come across as harmless and are amenable to trade. Time passes, the leviathan slowly drifts across the sky, and sooner or later it vanishes without a trace, continuing its journey towards parts unknown.

The leviathan is one of the most curious creatures to exist in the multiverse. The only known member of its species, it is a truly massive flying beast that slowly moves through the planes of its own volition. No exact measurements have ever been taken, but it comfortably supports an entire civilization with room to spare. Its partially-mechanical nature suggests that the leviathan may not be the product of nature alone, but its true origin is anyone’s guess.

Humans have resided on the leviathan long enough for their past to fade into myth, but it is generally accepted that they were not created by or on the leviathan itself. Human-settled regions of the leviathan are a pleasant place to live: Their farms cover its broad back, producing remarkably resilient crops that thrive regardless of the adverse environments the leviathan may travel through. All attempts to transplant these crops to other planes have failed, and they are believed to be somehow tied to the leviathan itself. Stories are also told of other species which have tried to conquer human territory and been repelled by defenders from deep within the leviathan. Whatever mysteries the leviathan holds, it seems to be protective of its strange, adopted children.

Human culture is relatively free-spirited; they face few, if any, resource shortages and have access to an eclectic mix of technology from different cultures. The crown jewel of human civilization is the city of Eye, which rings the exact portion of the leviathan that its name suggests. Reachable only by boat, the pupil itself can, through proper attunement, create a portal leading anywhere in the multiverse. Consequently, Eye boasts one of very few truly multi-planar cultures in the multiverse. Natives of other planes are welcome to visit and even settle permanently in Eye, but those who go beyond its borders are met with increasingly overt resistance by the Leviathan itself. Outside of Eye, most humans live in the countryside that covers the Leviathan's broad back. Human government consists of a ruling council advised by the most senior living acolyte.

Morphologically, humans are an extremely adaptable race- whether this was a reason for or a product of the Leviathan's patronage is unknown. Most humans that spend an extended period of time on a given plane develop minor physical adaptations to better navigate the local environment: Those who are capable of doing this are known as 'voyagers.' 'Acolytes,' a much rarer breed, lack this ability but serve an important role in human society. While acolytes cannot adapt to local planes, they are instead able to commune with the leviathan itself. Acolytes are responsible for sanctioning or denying expansion of human settlements over or into the leviathan. Whenever the leviathan makes landfall on a new plane, the acolytes often demand specific items or materials from the plane be brought to them. Explanations for these requests are neither asked for nor given.

While most humans live on the surface, acolytes are permitted to descend deeper into the Leviathan itself. Even for acolytes, this can be risky; the Leviathan’s adaptation to human life is, literally and perhaps figuratively, only skin-deep. Below the surface, the mysterious processes which sustain the Leviathan proceed without concern for bystanders and are fiercely protected from intruders. More than one unwary adventurer has lost their life after being mistaken for an obstruction by the vein spiders.

i. The Human
If you are a child of the leviathan, you may take one (and only one) of the following in place of an advance:

Planar Attunement
When you make camp, you may attune yourself to your current plane. Take +1 ongoing to any defy danger roll related to environmental obstacles on a plane you are attuned to. In addition, you gain a minor physical feature tying you to your current plane.

Omniscience
When you reach out to the leviathan with your mind, lose all hold and roll +int. On a 10+, hold 3 and choose 1. On a 7-9, hold 2 and choose 2:
[*]Touching such a vast consciousness plagues you with incomprehensible, fractal nightmares. The next time you would Make Camp, gain none of the benefits for doing so.
[*]The leviathan’s power is unsettling to those unfamiliar with it. When you use the benefits of those move, you do so in a way that threatens, frightens, or creates suspicion in those around you.
[*]The leviathan requests some service in exchange for its power.

Hold may be spent one-for-one on the following:
[*]Take a 10+ on any mental roll.
[*]Establish instant mental communication with anyone you have encountered.
[*]Calculate and react with inhuman speed.

Once you have taken either Planar Attunement or Omniscience, you may take any of the following in place of an advance:

Distress Beacon
When you send out a signal for emergency extraction, roll +int. On a 10+, the Eye of the Leviathan opens a portal near your current location and choose 1. On a 7-9, choose 2.
The portal is slow in opening, you’ll have to hold out for a little longer.
The portal’s coordinates were off, and you’ll have to make it past danger to reach it.
You owe somebody a huge favor for pulling your rear end out of the fire.

Well-Traveled
When the party enters a new plane for the first time, roll +int. On a 10+, you’ve been here before, and you know or have access to something that will help the party. On a 7-9, you’ve never been here. On a miss, you’ve been here before, and your previous actions are going to make life difficult.

Tribute
When you turn a fitting tribute to the leviathan over to an acolyte, gain 1 hold for Omniscience. This does not require you to have taken Omniscience.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Benagain posted:

Oooh, I really like this. Not as an all the time thing but for new players especially.

Actually I was kind of thinking this might be an all-the-time thing, since it's there to help the GM, too. They're on the spot when the players roll less than 9, after all.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
It's a great help if you don't have anything particular in mind, certainly. It almost feels like the sort of thing that should be packed with the basic rules, as it's a lot more helpful when you're strapped for ideas than the basic descriptions.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Handgun Phonics posted:

It's a great help if you don't have anything particular in mind, certainly. It almost feels like the sort of thing that should be packed with the basic rules, as it's a lot more helpful when you're strapped for ideas than the basic descriptions.

I'll tell you the secret to them, that I didn't realize until I was halfway done writing them.

The first thing you have to say is a necessary condition for using the stat. If there's nothing to push you can't be strong, if there's no linchpin fact you can't be intelligent.

The second thing you have to say is a necessary risk to take. For Wisdom you might miss something important, for Dexterity you might have to give something up for maximum fast.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Is the Slayer that is in the OP the best version? I could have sworn somebody had updated it or something. Also, I think I'll give my player their choice between the DW version and the GW version, but the DW version seems better to me. I dunno.

Oh man, we had our Pirate World game last night and so much awesome poo poo happened.

Our last session ended with the party split and one group taking refuge from the Blackwater Brakes in the abandoned colony fort of Murkwall. We first played a game of Dread where each of them took the role of a character in that fort from the past. The initial outbreak of fungus zombies happened (think The Last of Us) and they played an amazing game. Of course, it ended horrifically, with only one of the characters surviving.

Fast forward to current day in our Pirate World game. I put references to everything they did in the Dread game and they loved it. It even ended up kind of screwing them because the leftenant in the Dread game was super incompetent (he was played that way, not the player). Some of their crew got sick and they ended up rousing the attention of some roamers out in the swamp. While they tried to barricade everything they had men down mixing char, saltpeter, and sulfur to make gunpowder. One of the walls ended up coming down, and before it could the Brute held it up while the others readied a means of escape. They lit the gunpowder kegs, the brute let the wall fall, and they lured the zombies into the courtyard. One of the sailors went down and the Brute ran back to save him, ripping through a swarm of fungus zombies to do so. Since the others had climbed down a rope on the other wall, and he didn't have time, he just went through the wall! As he did so he was dog-piled by zombies who blocked some of the explosive damage. The other players didn't see the roll, and the Brute was already at 6 hp, so when I said "you no longer see him" they assumed he had died. Then I said, "Now describe what they see when you emerge from under the water" and the table went crazy. He survived it with 3 hp left.

They went on to fight a giant snake and behead it before reaching the Star Array deep in the swamp. Unlucky for the Brute, the Assassin tried to find some herbs to numb his pain and rolled a 6. Turned out it was a paralytic, and he started to lose feeling in his limbs. With the Brute down the rest of the party (unwisely) decided to tie him to a loving tree limb while they went down into the Star Array. Golden opportunity.

As the others go into this alien structure and see the cultists preparing the sacrifices, they ALSO see the cultists bring in the Brute from the other side of the room and place him over a pit, still tied to his limb. At this point he has 1 hp due to some damage he took on his way here. I tell him that he has started to regain feeling.

What follows was the most bad-rear end thing I think I've even seen in a tabletop game. The Assassin and Fanatic had their crew surround the upper walkways of this place and right as the Brute was about to be dropped into this pit and sacrificed to some Lovecraftian elder-thing, they launched their attack. Just imagine pirates opening fire on a poo poo ton of cultists (seriously, they were outnumbered 3 to 1) with muskets and pistols, swinging across chasms, and fighting them with cutlass'. At one point the fanatic failed a roll to knock a cultist into the pit (where the Brute was still hanging) and he fell in himself. The Brute said "I fight through the paralytic, break the ropes and grab for him as he falls." Rolled a 12.

As the Fanatic fell the Brute grabbed his arm, swung him over the other side of the pole (where he beheaded the cultist along the way) and onto the stairs on the other side. People were high-fiving at my table. Seriously, I don't think I've ever ran a session this good.

All to this music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QNlelx3kKE

As the fight went on the Brute eventually got free, but not before the elder-thing started to emerge from the hole. The Brute, having 1 hp, sacrificed himself and made his Death Move. On the elder-thing. The others escaped as the Brute and this creature plunged into the darkness below and the whole temple started folding in on itself Poltergeist style.

They made a perilous journey back through the Blackwater Brakes, one brave man and half the crew short, only to find what the OTHER players had been up to.

(I was jumping back and forth between each group)

While the others were at the temple, the Captain and Dashing Hero were trying to take on an unleashed elder beast that had taken over the hold of the Death's Bastard (their ship). Their idea was to blow up the powder stores. Which they did. Along with the ship.

They then proceeded to get into a tiff with the local militia where the Dashing Hero was shot point-blank in the ribs (for shooting an official in the leg and trying to take a hostage) and they were thrown into a jail to await the arrival of a local constable (and probably the gallows). So what do they do? Well, turns out the Captain (to the suprise of everyone except me) is a loving ghost captain and he negotiates with the ghost of a pirate who died in the same cell decades before. The Captain leaves his body, steals the keys, and the two men escape into the jungle.

So here's where they are:

* One party member dead

* No ship

* No gold

* No crew

* Hurt, struggling, and being hunted by authorities

They all said it was the best game they ever played, so I feel pretty proud of that.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 1, 2013

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Just backed Pirate World meself based on yer post, ye scalawag. Let's see how long I can hold out before rolling Edward Kenway :yarr:

Was I supposed to get the new playbooks right away, or on the 3rd?

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

Just backed Pirate World meself based on yer post, ye scalawag. Let's see how long I can hold out before rolling Edward Kenway :yarr:

Was I supposed to get the new playbooks right away, or on the 3rd?

Pretty sure you can look at the updates section and there should be a link for the playbooks. As for rolling Edward Kenway, PM me if you ever want to do this because I made a playbook that was basically this.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pretty sure you can look at the updates section and there should be a link for the playbooks. As for rolling Edward Kenway, PM me if you ever want to do this because I made a playbook that was basically this.

It seems pretty incomplete, is there any date for when the full books will be out?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

My self-control lasted about two and a half hours. Sent.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

My self-control lasted about two and a half hours. Sent.

Sent you the playbook, enjoy!

Countblanc posted:

It seems pretty incomplete, is there any date for when the full books will be out?

Yeah, I think he's putting them out as he gets them to a decent state. The Supreme Court is in here pretty often and he's probably the best person to answer this, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

I love this game.
I love it so much.

After a couple of sessions GMing I don't know if I can ever go back to running anything else. A lack of turns seemed like such a strange thing, and then after ten minutes it clicked. I had a lot more fun running it and my players had a ball playing it. One guy who would normally text and check facebook on his phone when he was waiting the eternity for his turn was all of a sudden my most active and excited player.

I want to do a LOT of homebrewing for it, but I figured I'd start small. A monster or two was easy, and now I've tried my hand at some magical items I'm considering sprinkling into the next session. I posted them on Google+, but I thought I'd put them here too. It's basically my first time creating anything of substance, and I'm looking for feedback before I accidentally mess up my campaign with some broken bullshit I didn't notice.

The Dislocation Glove
A thick right-hand gauntlet of beaten brass, with a length of lightweight chain leading from just behind the thumb to clip to a cinched leather band worn halfway up the bicep.
When the user detaches the chain from the band, he can move away from his arm and leave it hovering in midair, able to perform any action its user can do as normal, including wield and fight with a weapon (although it grants no magical vision, and the user still needs to be able to see what they're doing).
It is rooted in place, and any attempt to move it will register to the user as someone tugging on their arm. Enough force applied to it will "rip" the arm away, with the same effect to the user as ripping someone's arm off normally has. Naturally, the Glove's keeper would be wise to avoid the situation.
Returning to the arm and retethering the chain reattaches it, and the glove can then be removed as normal.

The Hamelin Plague-Wreath
A thick ring of nettles and briars bound with twine, and festooned with 5 tiny animal bones. Worn around the neck, where its brambles dig into your shoulders and throat in uncomfortable places.
When its user crushes one of the bones to dust and sprinkles it over a fresh medium size (or larger) corpse, it explodes into a swarm of a hundred or more rats, and the user rolls +INT.
On a 10+, choose 3.
On a 7-9, choose 1.
-The rats are under the user's mental command.
-The user can see from the eyes of any of the pack.
-The rats are starved and eager to attack any creature.
-Those aren't rats, those are bats!
On a 6-, the rats are uncontrollable and cause complications to their creator, making a lot of noise, skittering into his clothes, or even biting and attacking him.
The rats crumble to bone and twigs after a few minutes of life or when killed.
The wreath holds only 5 bones on recovery. Any more wanted must be woven in by a skilled Mire-Witch, who will ask for dark things in exchange.

Ink-Mirror
A hand mirror of braided silver wire that has been stained almost entirely with black ink, including a sizable black blotch across its reflective surface.
The ink is from a devil's inkpot, tipped over by the trembling hand of a princess as she signed her soul away for eternal youth and beauty. When it stained her mirror, it morphed it into a powerful magical item, and her eternal prison cell.
When it is looked into, the user makes contact with her bound, tortured soul, reflected in the mirror as a beautiful, tearful, pale phantom that offers you her power.
Roll +CHA. On a 10+, choose 1. On a 7-9, choose 1, but it is fleeting and only lasts for an hour or so before it ceases.
-You become a more healthy, young, and beautiful version of yourself. Take a +1 ongoing to charisma.
-You alter your appearance to that of a complete stranger. Any negative Outstanding Warrants have no effect and no one will recognize you unless they know your clothes, demeanor, and (if you speak) voice.
-You are invisible. Only your flesh is affected; if you want the benefits you'll have to disrobe, and anything you carry remains visible.
-Your appearance becomes so fearsome and frightening that you gain the Terrifying tag.
Any of these effects last until you bathe in liquid, whereupon the illusion washes away from you like ink.
On a 6-, the trapped princess rebelliously changes you into a hideous old crone or ghoul. Take a -1 ongoing to charisma until you bathe. Your appearance is so shocking and unnerving to characters who prize their looks that they drop the mirror, and at the GM's discretion it smashes on the ground and the lady's soul is finally freed from its glass prison.

LordVonEarlDuke fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 1, 2013