Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
It says Solo Turk.
http://theaviationist.com/2013/11/16/solo-turk-flares/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

drat you literal answers :argh:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Actually, Cold Turk be some good eatin' imo.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Does his patch say, Old Turk or Cold Turk? Either way, he's one fly motherfucker.

Better Old Turk than Old Crow.

Thief posted:

Actually, Cold Turk be some good eatin' imo.

Greek AAA spotted.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

grover posted:

pure insanity

I'm sure the North Korean pilots have excellent ground-hugging abilities with their 15 hours of flying per year and only enough gas to allow a few maneuvers and a landing with a 30 second margin of error (so as to avoid possible defection).

Pilot Kim: Ok men! Lets launch our pre-emptive attack on the imperialist dogs. Everyone stay below 75 meters and remember. . . *static*
Pilot Park: Sir, I didn't get the last part of that message, we're to stay . . . *static*
Pilot Lee: Base, I have spotted two flaming craters in the side of a mountain 16km East, South-East of Hwangju airport. poo poo! I have to eject as I've passed the 35km point of no-return and no longer have enough fuel to make it back to the airfield. *static*

This might not even be so far from the truth, as there was talk of North Korean downsizing in the military, and more focus being directed towards their nuclear and cyber warfare programs. It would be some serious "Yakety Sax" style hiijinx to see North Korean fighters trying to survive in an airspace as hostile as South Korea's. Unless their strategy was to cause the South financial ruin by forcing them to expend all of their expensive missiles into the North's antiquated aircraft and disposable pilots.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

PAC-2 don't come cheap

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
And PAC-3 and PAC-3 MSE costs even more. It is always cheaper to build a bunch of lovely missiles and rockets than it is to build a capable missile and rocket defense system. To make it really work, you also need really good targeting and strike capability to quickly attrite enemy missile forces, which of course also costs a lot of money.

Speaking of MSE, MEADS pulled off a successful simultaneous engagement of a ballistic missile and QF-4 coming in from opposite directions to demonstrate its simultaneous 360 degree coverage capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DjzojyLmWo

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
MrChips has provided another excellent write up over in the Aeronautical Insanity thread, this time on the Tu-22 and Tu-22m. As usual, it's totally with the read.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Munnin The Crab posted:

MrChips has provided another excellent write up over in the Aeronautical Insanity thread, this time on the Tu-22 and Tu-22m. As usual, it's totally with the read.

Why not link it in your post?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&pagenumber=393#post422065270

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Blistex posted:

I'm sure the North Korean pilots have excellent ground-hugging abilities with their 15 hours of flying per year and only enough gas to allow a few maneuvers and a landing with a 30 second margin of error (so as to avoid possible defection).

Pilot Kim: Ok men! Lets launch our pre-emptive attack on the imperialist dogs. Everyone stay below 75 meters and remember. . . *static*
Pilot Park: Sir, I didn't get the last part of that message, we're to stay . . . *static*
Pilot Lee: Base, I have spotted two flaming craters in the side of a mountain 16km East, South-East of Hwangju airport. poo poo! I have to eject as I've passed the 35km point of no-return and no longer have enough fuel to make it back to the airfield. *static*

This might not even be so far from the truth, as there was talk of North Korean downsizing in the military, and more focus being directed towards their nuclear and cyber warfare programs. It would be some serious "Yakety Sax" style hiijinx to see North Korean fighters trying to survive in an airspace as hostile as South Korea's. Unless their strategy was to cause the South financial ruin by forcing them to expend all of their expensive missiles into the North's antiquated aircraft and disposable pilots.

It's funny because you think the ejection seat will work.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's funny because you think the ejection seat will work.

I assumed that was the pilot piling it into a hill. I'm pretty sure the pilots don't know they won't work, even if the government does.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Vindolanda posted:

I assumed that was the pilot piling it into a hill. I'm pretty sure the pilots don't know they won't work, even if the government does.
Much like the sand-filled "collapse-proof" escape tunnels from US's nuclear launch bunkers that OH GOD YOU CAN'T OPEN THAT TO CHECK, JUST TRUST US! :mmmhmm:

grover fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 21, 2013

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

grover posted:

Much like the sand-filled "collapse-proof" escape tunnels from US's nuclear launch bunkers that OH GOD YOU CAN'T OPEN THAT TO CHECK, JUST TRUST US! :mmmhmm:

I thought the sand was intentional?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Vindolanda posted:

I thought the sand was intentional?
Sure it is, to keep it from collapsing when the nuclear blasts go off! :mmmhmm:

What? No, of course you can't look, the sand would fall out!

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

grover posted:

Wait, what?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The escape tunnels from US ICBM Launch Control Centers are filled with sand, to keep them from collapsing during a strike on the site. The question is, when you open the hatch to escape, where the hell is all the sand going to end up?

(Late-Soviet counterforce strikes had multi megaton warheads ground bursting, likely making it a theoretical exercise, anyway.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The sand is actually the same volume the now-empty silo. It'll take you a while to carry it all down the access corridor, but it's not like you have anywhere you need to get to in a hurry at that point.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

The sand is actually the same volume the now-empty silo. It'll take you a while to carry it all down the access corridor, but it's not like you have anywhere you need to get to in a hurry at that point.

The thing I just read, to pretend I had any idea what I was talking about, said that the escape room below the tunnel hatch had a chute to dump the sand into the silo once the hatch was opened. This kind of explains why you weren't supposed to open them.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Really? I was totally making that up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm very surprised there isn't some story about a complete idiot recruit doing that. Or do they screen out the utter morons for working in the silos? (Please say yes)

Pvt Pyle: DONT OPEN WHUT DOOR SARGE? HEY WHATS THIS HATCH THINGIE?
*opens hatch, tons of sand pour in*
Sarge: PYYYYYLE!
Pvt Pyle: WELL GOLLEEE!

priznat fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 21, 2013

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
This is kind of unrelated and maybe more of a GiP question but priznat's post reminded me of something that's been on my mind lately. When I was doing ROTC nobody ever called sergeants "sarge," we always said "sarnt" or "sarmajor" or something like that. When did that switch happen?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I'd never address a US or UK sergeant as "sarge". It sounds like something out of a 60s/70s movie. Or MASH.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Isn't the silo open to the sky after the missile leaves? So you could just climb out that way? Or get incinerated through there when the incoming warheads hit? Or does the hatch slam shut after launch?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

I'm very surprised there isn't some story about a complete idiot recruit doing that. Or do they screen out the utter morons for working in the silos? (Please say yes)

Pvt Pyle: DONT OPEN WHUT DOOR SARGE? HEY WHATS THIS HATCH THINGIE?
*opens hatch, tons of sand pour in*
Sarge: PYYYYYLE!
Pvt Pyle: WELL GOLLEEE!

Sounds like a saboteurs wet dream to be honest.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Snowdens Secret posted:

Isn't the silo open to the sky after the missile leaves? So you could just climb out that way? Or get incinerated through there when the incoming warheads hit? Or does the hatch slam shut after launch?

I thought the launch bunkers were not located next to the silos themselves.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Snowdens Secret posted:

It depends on the missile system; some were right near the surface and escape wasn't much of an issue (survival, on the other hand...), but later systems have a single deeply buried control center controlling multiple widely-spread missiles, and were supposedly designed to allow the crews to survive all but a direct hit by a tsar bomba size multi-stage nuclear surface/subsurface burst. (The diagram for that is dismally hilarious when overlaid with the expected crater from the largest soviet warheads, since the crater is twice as deep as the bunker.) Soviet guidance wasn't good enough to target specific facilities, though; they'd just saturate the area well enough to ensure destruction of every missile not yet launched. The seismic forces of the nuclear barrage would collapse every tunnel in the complex- missiles wouldn't care, they'd be off; the only thing worth saving at the site is the crew. By filling this shaft with sand, it was expected the sand would prevent the shaft from collapsing, and allow the crew to escape.

If they had just been carpet bombed by ICBMs, they'd probably choose to stay underground for a while, but would eventually want to come up when air/water/food/whatever ran out. And would *probably* not have much outside help. But all they need to do is open that hatch that's totally there :v:

grover fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 21, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

grover posted:

If they had just been carpet bombed by ICBMs, they'd probably choose to stay underground for a while, but would eventually want to come up when air/water/food/whatever ran out. Any would *probably* not have much help. But all they need to do is open that hatch that's totally there :v:
At that point you'd think a bit of sand would literally be the least of their worries.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

evil_bunnY posted:

At that point you'd think a bit of sand would literally be the least of their worries.

Mutant wasteland bikers have already cornered the market on talcum powder.
Sand in your underwear causing rashes is a matter of life and death with antibiotics scarce.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Sand worms :ohdear:

quote:

(The diagram for that is dismally hilarious when overlaid with the expected crater from the largest soviet warheads, since the crater is twice as deep as the bunker.)

Well that's fairly morbid, yet hilarious at the same time.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If I'm right, that's a great joke.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Soviets only got missiles with the warheads, the throw and the accuracy to pull off hits like that in the mid-late '70s, though. So the Minuteman silo designs were still theoretically viable for at least a decade.

That also marks the point the nuclear detente really starts to break down.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mortabis posted:

This is kind of unrelated and maybe more of a GiP question but priznat's post reminded me of something that's been on my mind lately. When I was doing ROTC nobody ever called sergeants "sarge," we always said "sarnt" or "sarmajor" or something like that. When did that switch happen?

It's considered disrespectful...I know it was in the 80s as well, not sure how far back it goes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It's pre-Cold War, but I think this is probably a better place to post it than starting a new thread.

70 years ago today, Doris Miller died on the Liscome Bay during the Battle of Makin Island, when her ammunition store was struck by a torpedo.

In case anyone recognizes the name but can't immediately place it, he was the first African American to be awarded the Navy Cross for his actions during Pearl Harbor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Miller

:patriot:

Godspeed, sir.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The D&D milhist thread is 90% World War II at the moment so you might as well post it there too!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Shooting Blanks posted:

In case anyone recognizes the name but can't immediately place it, he was the first African American to be awarded the Navy Cross for his actions during Pearl Harbor.

In case anyone recognizes the name like me, and the photo looks familiar, but you can't place how you know it -- Cuba Gooding Jr. in Pearl Harbor. The one where he was interspersed through Ben Affleck's love story, not the one where he's a plucky salvage diver with a tough DI.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's probably better if everyone just forgets about that movie.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

priznat posted:

It's probably better if everyone just forgets about that movie.
Cuba Gooding was the only good part of that movie. If you cut out every scene he wasn't in, it might actually be palatable.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I only ever saw the scene where some pilot-mans takes a girl for a joyride in a P-51 (ignoring the fact it only has room for one person, barely) and they even managed to make that part suck poo poo.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Terrible Robot posted:

I only ever saw the scene where some pilot-mans takes a girl for a joyride in a P-51 (ignoring the fact it only has room for one person, barely) and they even managed to make that part suck poo poo.

Every part dealing with the love story sucked. They could have left that entire side plot on the cutting room floor and had a better movie in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Every part dealing with the love story sucked. They could have left that entire side plot on the cutting room floor and had a better movie in the end.

That would have left them with like 20 minutes of the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor and 10 minutes of Doolittle raid. Plus some barnyard flying I guess.

Goddamn, that movie was long and terrible.