Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The folks at Criterion Forum seem to think Criterion has Abel Gance's Napoleon. They discussed the film in depth at yesterday's Wexner Center panel. It certainly would make sense considering how often they're working with Kevin Brownlow and Robert Harris recently.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
That would be amazing. I wonder how they'll adapt the "widescreen" segment for dvd.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I used the sale to pick up Royal Tenenbaums for the wife for Christmas, and saw Tokyo Drifter, so I grabbed that for me. :smug:

These sales.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

That would be amazing. I wonder how they'll adapt the "widescreen" segment for dvd.

There's three options. First, Gance created a single-panel version, which was used for the 1980s Thames broadcast. Second, a single letterboxed image is obvious (3.99:1). Since the uncut version is 5 1/2 hours long with two intermissions, splitting to three discs would allow for each disc to have an isolated panel for those able to project three discs synchronized. This was actually considered for the laserdisc.

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!
The Zaireeka of laserdiscs. That's totally insane, who on earth would have had three projectors in their home? Not to mention three laserdisc players?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

juan the owl posted:

The Zaireeka of laserdiscs. That's totally insane, who on earth would have had three projectors in their home? Not to mention three laserdisc players?

Plus, since everyone has a widescreen TV now, how would that even look with the pillowboxing?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Apparently General Della Rovere has gone out of print, for people who keep track of such things.

e: Raro's DVD/Blu-Ray is coming out in two weeks, hadn't realized that

leokitty fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 20, 2013

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
The announcement of King of the Hill just reminds me how pissed off I am that I still can't watch Kafka anywhere other than my VHS player. Please, Criterion, work this out.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

kuddles posted:

The announcement of King of the Hill just reminds me how pissed off I am that I still can't watch Kafka anywhere other than my VHS player. Please, Criterion, work this out.

I think Soderbergh is working on a director's cut. It seems to be a Miramax film, but I doubt they are compelled to release it themselves.

For that matter, it looks like Criterion is going to work on more Warner Bros. films, so anything is possible.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

kuddles posted:

I find it funny how quickly we've all forgotten the term "VCR."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

I find it funny how quickly we've all forgotten the term "VCR."

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Is that just a standard FUJI blank tape that they dubbed the movie onto and then sold?

How far they've come.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

zenintrude posted:

Is that just a standard FUJI blank tape that they dubbed the movie onto and then sold?

How far they've come.

They released a handful of VHS tapes back in the early days before using Embassy and later Home Vision as their distributor. The later Embassy and Home Vision releases never had any Criterion notation, but rather Janus Films directly. Only in the DVD era did they fold everything except for a handful of really early DVDs that Janus released through Image like The Mikado and The Human Condition.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 20, 2013

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Hewlett posted:

It's a hell of a lot of fun; I like it. It's bright and bold and very 90s.

Yeah getting it turned out to be a great decision. You definitely weren't kidding about bright and bold though.

edit: Not sure how low it will drop, but the Kiss Me Deadly blu-ray is one of Amazon's lightning deals for tomorrow afternoon.

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 22, 2013

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Egbert Souse posted:

They released a handful of VHS tapes back in the early days before using Embassy and later Home Vision as their distributor.
I'm not sure if they ever tried to officially release any to market, but I remember the paper I work for got a D-VHS of Seven Samurai from Criterion instead of a disc screener when they re-released it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Super happy with the BBS set--if anyone is on the fence, just get it. Watched Five Easy Pieces last night and I swear I was looking at a window back in time to the late 60's. Very nice looking film, and Nicholson does a great job without going too over the top. The diner scene is great too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtfNE4z6a8

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

robix smash posted:

I'm not sure if they ever tried to officially release any to market, but I remember the paper I work for got a D-VHS of Seven Samurai from Criterion instead of a disc screener when they re-released it.

Holy Christ, it's been years since I've heard about D-VHS? When was this exactly?

I tried seeing if anyone else had any information online, but I didn't see any.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Just got two membership "extra 20% off" coupons in the mail, and I'm wondering what box sets to pick up with it (not necessarily Eclipse, I know I'm probably getting Pearls of the Czech New Wave, Early Fassbinder, or Downey Sr. for Christmas).

I know the Zatoichi set comes out tomorrow, the Sternberg Silent Classics and Lean/Coward sets look cool, and I actually don't own Fanny and Alexander. Thoughts on any of those, as well as any you think are swell?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Just got two membership "extra 20% off" coupons in the mail, and I'm wondering what box sets to pick up with it (not necessarily Eclipse, I know I'm probably getting Pearls of the Czech New Wave, Early Fassbinder, or Downey Sr. for Christmas).

I know the Zatoichi set comes out tomorrow, the Sternberg Silent Classics and Lean/Coward sets look cool, and I actually don't own Fanny and Alexander. Thoughts on any of those, as well as any you think are swell?

Fanny & Alexander is essential, especially for the price. The Von Sternberg set is fantastic. While I think Underworld is just OK, The Last Command and Docks of New York are key silent films.

If you don't already have them, I'd pick up the Lubitsch Musicals Eclipse set too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't post much in this thread, mostly because while I have a fair amount of Criterions many of them are the obvious ones or blind buys that I enjoy but might not be knowledgeable enough about the film in question to discuss them. Fanny and Alexander was one such blind buy and I loved it. Made me seek out all of the other Bergmans available. So I definitely recommend that. Just, maybe, divide it up over a couple of days.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Zatoichi set will arrive today. Expect a review in 4 months.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Zatoichi set will arrive today. Expect a review in 4 months.

I'm anticipating at least a year to get through them all (I am a slow movie watcher). That said, can't wait. I've read synopses for them all, and it'll be hard not to skip to certain ones.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Midnight Cowboy?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I bought Fanny and Alexander over year ago during a B&N sale and legitimately have not had the time to sit down and actually watch it. I guess I should actually do that then.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Dangerous Person posted:

I bought Fanny and Alexander over year ago during a B&N sale and legitimately have not had the time to sit down and actually watch it. I guess I should actually do that then.

Do it. Literally the best film ever made.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Also vote for Fanny and Alexander. It's my favorite film. The box set is fantastic. I own it on DVD and blu.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Holy Christ, it's been years since I've heard about D-VHS? When was this exactly?

I tried seeing if anyone else had any information online, but I didn't see any.
Whenever the re-release was. Five or six years ago, before bluray really took off.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

robix smash posted:

Whenever the re-release was. Five or six years ago, before bluray really took off.

I'm guessing it was just a special screener for the purpose of showing off the HD remaster if anything. Or just a nice way to keep people from making a copy of the discs, since you get to see the restoration, but most people don't have access to a D-VHS player. At that point, DVHS would have been dead for a while, so I don't see Criterion getting into the market in any serious capacity. It looks like the last real commercial push came in 2004.

http://www.lddb.com/list.php?format=dvhs&list=all&sort=date,desc

Still, it's a pretty cool story.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

kaujot posted:

Do it. Literally the best film ever made.

I sat down to watch it (the longer TV version) for the first time at like 10PM one night, planning on splitting it up over the course of two or three evenings. I was up until 3. So loving good.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
To give you guys a heads up, Barnes and Noble (and bn.com) will be offering the coupon/coupon code BFRIDAY30 this Friday, which can be used on any one item, including already discounted ones. So in effect, you can get a Criterion DVD for 65% off the MSRP.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Anonymous Robot posted:

To give you guys a heads up, Barnes and Noble (and bn.com) will be offering the coupon/coupon code BFRIDAY30 this Friday, which can be used on any one item, including already discounted ones. So in effect, you can get a Criterion DVD for 65% off the MSRP.

Zatoichi, here I come.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, it's this kind of silly situation where on the one hand, gently caress you can get a $30 standard Criterion for $10! But on the other hand, you're kind of better off splurging on a box set or a more expensive film, because gently caress paying $6 shipping on a $10 item.

Edit: To that end, if anybody knows of good $75 range Criterion sets, post 'em here. You could get it for $25 with free shipping.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is there a print coupon you can use in store?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Toebone posted:

Is there a print coupon you can use in store?

Yes, but you might need to be on their email list to have gotten it. (I'm sure some website will post it.)

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

zenintrude posted:

Zatoichi, here I come.

Yea $78 for this set seems like a no-brainer. Unless of course, you've already purchased 10 movies from this sale and shouldn't spend anymore money.

Thanks for heads up, Anonymous Robot. The Cassavetes Five Films set would be a good pickup, costing $43.75 after the coupon - also the Qatsi Trilogy at $27.99.

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 27, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I can personally recommend the Cassavetes set (have the old DVD set), BBS set, and Qatsi set--all are fantastic. If I had to pick one I'd go for the BBS set, then pick up a Koyaanisqatsi and a Cassavetes flick or two on their own later. I've watched about half the flicks in the BBS set so far (Five Easy Pieces, Easy Rider, The Last Picture Show) and am blown away with how great they are.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Son of a BITCH, I bought the Zatoichi set one goddamn day early. :( Maybe I can use it on the Cassavettes set.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Yeah, the BBS set might have to be the one. I've been waiting for a good chance to pick that up, and now seems to be the time!

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

It may not work with the Zatoichi set. I had a 20% off coupon that had worked on a different Criterion purchase last week without any issue -- the person at the register scanned the coupon and it applied. No hoops to jump through or anything. When I tried with a second coupon for the Zatoichi set she said that set had been flagged to not work with coupons (and that some high price items they tend to do that to.)

Either way, it's well worth the price. I watched the first one last night, having never seen any of them before, and it was great.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, I did notice that some, if not all, of the sale Criterions say "does not work with other coupons unless explicitly mentioned". On the other hand, though, the coupon says it applies to ALL items including sale items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
What is so great about Zatoichi? Because I generally loathe anything Japanese, but I was also blown away by the Kurosawa films I've seen like Rashomon and Seven Samurai.

It's hard judging how I'd feel about the Zatoichi set when I'm not usually a fan of things like this. I hear plenty of people here and elsewhere talking about how great this set is but I've yet to hear an explanation of just what makes it so great (other than the number of films). I don't want to just write it off because I'm biased against it.

edit: Who am I kidding, if I use my coupon for any box set it will probably be the BBS set.

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 28, 2013