Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

LP97S posted:

The file is currently set to private, could you please change it to public? Unless that was supposed to be a private beta thing then never mind.

Oh sorry! It should be public now. Please, by all means, give it a whirl as-is. I'd love to see how some people's games turn out compared to my own playthroughs.

QuoProQuid posted:

Baja California should probably be group with Sonora because it really does not have any population or industry to support itself in the 1800s. I like the idea of giving California cores on the territory following a Manifest Destiny style event.

As was mentioned prior, the Republic of Rio Bravo should be renamed to the Republic of Rio Grande. If you want to create conflict, you could give Rio Grande cores on southern Texas because it did claim the land historically.

Otherwise, the divisions look fine.

I will do exactly this. I think I will still include Baja California, but make it an independent movement that can be released. Otherwise I'm going to group it with Sonora as you suggest.

Super-late-edit-but-I-don't-need-to-double-post Edit:

I've got a new version of the mod available for download, version 0.3!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8iiad11n31ces6e/DWS03.zip

DrSunshine: This version includes the mega-nation groups we discussed. No territories have had cores for them applied though; should I do this?

Everyone else: I've added two new nations, Acadia in Canada and Sonora in Mexico. I've also changed Alberta. However, I'm having a strange problem with Sonora. Check out the screenshot here:

In the "Choose your nation" screen, you'll notice that Baja California is striped, even though my province files clearly state that Sonora should own and control those two provinces. And then when you jump into the actual game, they are wholly-owned and controlled by Mexico. Any ideas why this is happening?

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

In the "Choose your nation" screen, you'll notice that Baja California is striped, even though my province files clearly state that Sonora should own and control those two provinces. And then when you jump into the actual game, they are wholly-owned and controlled by Mexico. Any ideas why this is happening?

I can't load it up and look at it in the tools for some reason, probably a bookmark issue - however, looking manually at the province files for Rosarito and Loreto, they are considered by those files to be owned and cored by Mexico. You may want to double check theres no double references elsewhere or just alter those province files.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
With the Kaiserreich BETA 3 I noticed that the notifier for being able to change policy does not actually work anymore (as in, even with the checkbox checked it doesn't give me a popup each day like it used to). Anyone know what the cause of that might be?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

GrossMurpel posted:

With the Kaiserreich BETA 3 I noticed that the notifier for being able to change policy does not actually work anymore (as in, even with the checkbox checked it doesn't give me a popup each day like it used to). Anyone know what the cause of that might be?

Yeah, if you go into your message options and look for "When one of our sliders cannot be auto moved" (it's near the top, you should only need to scroll down a couple times) you'll see that it's set to not being noted. Change that to popup or popup and pause and there you go.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Westminster System posted:

I can't load it up and look at it in the tools for some reason, probably a bookmark issue - however, looking manually at the province files for Rosarito and Loreto, they are considered by those files to be owned and cored by Mexico. You may want to double check theres no double references elsewhere or just alter those province files.

Aha! Your comment made me go back and look to see what was going on in each file. I added a condition for the 1861.1.1 start but used a "-" in place of a "=" in the file. :downs:

This is what I had in both files:

code:
1861.1.1 - {
	owner = SON
	controller = SON
	add_core = SON
}
yep.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Hah, I stupidly forgot to check the 1861 history section even though I was aware this was 1861 - but luckily the obvious miss on my part led to the solution.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
So here's a fun thing about the new Kaiserreich beta: as the USA, it's entirely possible to get a positive peacetime IC modifier. And a big one, too. I've got a game where I'm playing as Dictator MacArthur, and Syndie France beat Germany. If I'm remembering right, I got a decision in which I supported Canada in the war, for a +20 peacetime IC boost, then I got another that was pro-Entente propaganda that was (I think) +30, then I got one when France took Leipzig that was another +30, and then I got another when they took Berlin for another +30. I think right now I have about a +60% peacetime IC modifier, which means that I'm running a peacetime US economy with about 5-600 IC and declaring war on anyone actually instantly drops that by a couple hundred.

I'm pretty sure this counts as a bug, but it's kind of a fun bug until I get too ridiculously overpowered.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

vyelkin posted:

So here's a fun thing about the new Kaiserreich beta: as the USA, it's entirely possible to get a positive peacetime IC modifier. And a big one, too. I've got a game where I'm playing as Dictator MacArthur, and Syndie France beat Germany. If I'm remembering right, I got a decision in which I supported Canada in the war, for a +20 peacetime IC boost, then I got another that was pro-Entente propaganda that was (I think) +30, then I got one when France took Leipzig that was another +30, and then I got another when they took Berlin for another +30. I think right now I have about a +60% peacetime IC modifier, which means that I'm running a peacetime US economy with about 5-600 IC and declaring war on anyone actually instantly drops that by a couple hundred.

I'm pretty sure this counts as a bug, but it's kind of a fun bug until I get too ridiculously overpowered.

The US has a -87% peacetime modifier, so you'd have about a 23% peacetime bonus, 35% if you took the most beneficial reconstruction option. Sounds like we need to reduce the bonuses for the fall of Leipzig and such so that the best case scenario just eliminates the peacetime penalty altogether.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kavak posted:

The US has a -87% peacetime modifier, so you'd have about a 23% peacetime bonus, 35% if you took the most beneficial reconstruction option. Sounds like we need to reduce the bonuses for the fall of Leipzig and such so that the best case scenario just eliminates the peacetime penalty altogether.

Yeaaah, not entirely sure how it happened but that's definitely not the case.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ExtraNoise posted:

Alright goons, I could use some help with the Divided We Stand Mexican states! Here's what I've drawn up so far:

These are based on an 1860 map, an 1863 map, a modern map, and a couple of alt-history maps I found doing a google image search.

I have only a passing knowledge of Mexico (things like holidays, major cities, what Cinco De Mayo is all about, etc) and I'm sure this proposal is offensive to at least someone. I'd like to rectify that before I start, so if anyone has any suggestions before I begin making flag graphics and nation files, now's the time to voice them!

You should probably change "Yucatan Republica" to either Yucatán Republic or República de Yucatán.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Holy crap. Looking at the event file, it looks like someone jacked the peacetime bonuses for the "Syndies in x" events WAY up- I think they may have thought that was a flat modifier rather than a stackable one.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I bought EU4, finally, in the weekend 50% off deal on steam (a couple more hours left if people haven't got it). Are there any mods considered indispensable?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Green Wing posted:

I bought EU4, finally, in the weekend 50% off deal on steam (a couple more hours left if people haven't got it). Are there any mods considered indispensable?

None yet. EU4 is already pretty drat good on its own, and most of the problems you'll get with it tend to be late-game stuff like coalitions and annoying alliance chains.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Enable Full IC Takeover and conquer the entirety of the Americas. :getin:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

Enable Full IC Takeover and conquer the entirety of the Americas. :getin:

Yeah an economy that large needs a good resource base. Max out interventionism and start pushing south towards Argentina.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Wiz, I'm not sure if as the AI programmer this falls in your area of competence or if you never touched anything but the combat AI for CK2, but I figure leaving this here is the best shot either way:

There is a bug with the Become King of [Kingdom] ambition that appears pretty secondary (it's been reported three separate times in the Bug Reports forum since TOG, to no response) but can have some fairly major consequences on the evolution of the map.

The main part of the bug is that an AI character can pick that ambition for a kingdom title that they cannot form due to being of the wrong culture/culture group/religion (the 2.0 patch only lifted those restrictions for human players). Then the ambition, or rather the flag ai_capital_kingdom_focus that comes with it, also prevents said characters from forming any other kingdom titles even if they actually qualify for those (I discovered this by unsuccessfully attempting to use the Titular Title Generator to provide an "out" for the AI in the form of, well, titular kingdom title for all duchies).

Since the ambition is associated with pagans and especially unreformed pagans, you end up with AI conquerors who manage to heroically subjugate entire kingdoms... and then sit on their butts stuck with an impossible ambition for the rest of their lives, until they die and it all gavelkinds away. Even if this "failure to crown" and subsequent fracturing were welcome, it would be a pretty stupid way for it to happen.

Assuming that (a) it's not feasible to reference every kingdom's formation restrictions in the ambition's {allow = } conditions, and that (b) you don't want to see Magyar Russia or whatever unless the player is involved, which is why you haven't removed the conditions already; then I can see the least painful solution being adding a decision to switch to the kingdom's required culture/religion, if you have the ambition to become that king.

I hope this helps, it's been bothering me a fair bit.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wiz didn't touch any part of CK2's AI at all. He only joined Paradox this year.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The CK2 2.0 changelog credits him with some of the battle AI improvements there.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Wiz, I'm not sure if as the AI programmer this falls in your area of competence or if you never touched anything but the combat AI for CK2, but I figure leaving this here is the best shot either way:

There is a bug with the Become King of [Kingdom] ambition that appears pretty secondary (it's been reported three separate times in the Bug Reports forum since TOG, to no response) but can have some fairly major consequences on the evolution of the map.

The main part of the bug is that an AI character can pick that ambition for a kingdom title that they cannot form due to being of the wrong culture/culture group/religion (the 2.0 patch only lifted those restrictions for human players). Then the ambition, or rather the flag ai_capital_kingdom_focus that comes with it, also prevents said characters from forming any other kingdom titles even if they actually qualify for those (I discovered this by unsuccessfully attempting to use the Titular Title Generator to provide an "out" for the AI in the form of, well, titular kingdom title for all duchies).

Since the ambition is associated with pagans and especially unreformed pagans, you end up with AI conquerors who manage to heroically subjugate entire kingdoms... and then sit on their butts stuck with an impossible ambition for the rest of their lives, until they die and it all gavelkinds away. Even if this "failure to crown" and subsequent fracturing were welcome, it would be a pretty stupid way for it to happen.

Assuming that (a) it's not feasible to reference every kingdom's formation restrictions in the ambition's {allow = } conditions, and that (b) you don't want to see Magyar Russia or whatever unless the player is involved, which is why you haven't removed the conditions already; then I can see the least painful solution being adding a decision to switch to the kingdom's required culture/religion, if you have the ambition to become that king.

I hope this helps, it's been bothering me a fair bit.

Didn't the latest patch kill all cultural/religious requirements for non-special-event kingdoms and empires?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

DStecks posted:

Didn't the latest patch kill all cultural/religious requirements for non-special-event kingdoms and empires?

Only for the player, and not even all of them. You still can't create Jerusalem if you're not Christian, or Byzantium if you're not Orthodox.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Green Wing posted:

The only one I use.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175530327

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

grancheater posted:

Only for the player, and not even all of them. You still can't create Jerusalem if you're not Christian, or Byzantium if you're not Orthodox.

Jerusalem is a special event kingdom, created by a crusade. :v:

I wasn't aware that was only for the player, though. That's... understandable, but still weird.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

DStecks posted:

Jerusalem is a special event kingdom, created by a crusade. :v:

I wasn't aware that was only for the player, though. That's... understandable, but still weird.

Jerusalem is a de-jure kingdom though, so if you're not catholic you will be plagued by Jerusalemite Liberation rebels until it de-jure drifts. Or forever if you're an empire.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

grancheater posted:

Jerusalem is a de-jure kingdom though, so if you're not catholic you will be plagued by Jerusalemite Liberation rebels until it de-jure drifts. Or forever if you're an empire.

Well. That's pretty silly. Why not have it be the de jure Sultanate of Palestine?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Well I just finished up a game of Divided We Stand 0.3, the first time I played the whole way through it. I picked Empire after trying to play as Pennsylvania a few times with version .1 and .2 because I discovered that Empire has cores on Pennsylvania and New Jersey while Pennsylvania lacks the New Jersey cores.

It took me a while a to get all of the cores because surprisingly upstate New York has no one population wise and changing Long Island to the Manhattanite Commune as of .3 can really mess up plans and make Manhattan harder to take on. Then I had to wait enough for get enough people and money to take Pennsylvania and then fight a war of West Virginia liberation in order to get the restore order on the now one province Westylvania in order to get all of the cores. After that there wasn't a lot I could do.

That's the map by 1935, which was about 35 years of unchanged borders for everyone. There's not much you can do either because of Victoria's mechanics or I'm too dumb to not know how to do that. There was New England which consisted of 2 of Massachusetts 3 provinces. I thought it would be cool to back them in a war for them to subdue all of New England but there's no way to do that in Single player consistently. I could invade the whole of New England and release the whole region as a puppet state but I would hit the badboy limit in no time and end up being over-run with Communists like my one PA game. I even saved and tried to do it as New England, which was allied with Empire, but there's no guarantee that Empire will assist me while I'll play as New England. Even if I switch back to Empire through a save game there's no way for me to enter the war since Empire isn't a great power. Still, I got Empire up to secondary power status, being the only state to do so. I ended up making Connecticut and Louisiana puppets because what the hell else am I going to do with a 216,000 man army and a small fleet?

Otherwise the mod is pretty fun, if anyone knows how to do what I want to do could someone let me know?

EDIT: I don't know if it's possible but maybe pushing the start date from 1861 to 1850 might be a cool idea.

LP97S fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 26, 2013

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

LP97S posted:

Well I just finished up a game of Divided We Stand 0.3, the first time I played the whole way through it. I picked Empire after trying to play as Pennsylvania a few times with version .1 and .2 because I discovered that Empire has cores on Pennsylvania and New Jersey while Pennsylvania lacks the New Jersey cores.

It took me a while a to get all of the cores because surprisingly upstate New York has no one population wise and changing Long Island to the Manhattanite Commune as of .3 can really mess up plans and make Manhattan harder to take on. Then I had to wait enough for get enough people and money to take Pennsylvania and then fight a war of West Virginia liberation in order to get the restore order on the now one province Westylvania in order to get all of the cores. After that there wasn't a lot I could do.

That's the map by 1935, which was about 35 years of unchanged borders for everyone. There's not much you can do either because of Victoria's mechanics or I'm too dumb to not know how to do that. There was New England which consisted of 2 of Massachusetts 3 provinces. I thought it would be cool to back them in a war for them to subdue all of New England but there's no way to do that in Single player consistently. I could invade the whole of New England and release the whole region as a puppet state but I would hit the badboy limit in no time and end up being over-run with Communists like my one PA game. I even saved and tried to do it as New England, which was allied with Empire, but there's no guarantee that Empire will assist me while I'll play as New England. Even if I switch back to Empire through a save game there's no way for me to enter the war since Empire isn't a great power. Still, I got Empire up to secondary power status, being the only state to do so. I ended up making Connecticut and Louisiana puppets because what the hell else am I going to do with a 216,000 man army and a small fleet?

Otherwise the mod is pretty fun, if anyone knows how to do what I want to do could someone let me know?

EDIT: I don't know if it's possible but maybe pushing the start date from 1861 to 1850 might be a cool idea.

Thank you so much! This is extremely insightful into changes that should be made. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you playing a game and posting a trip report here.

Some thoughts:

- I could increase the population numbers throughout the states, especially for soldier pops?

- Increase the number of cores that are held by adjacent states. I've done some of this, but it's spotty who has cores where. DrSunshine is (I believe) working on some unions for states to try and form, and I believe we could even create "micro unions" made up of one or two states (your Georgia Republic makes me think something along those lines).

- Possible additional micro-states that don't have any control but could be released or liberated?

Again, thank you so much for playing a game. It means a lot. You're awesome.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I did a bit of work on the army AI for Sons of Abraham, but it's not my main project no.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

This is not a good civil war.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

This is not a good civil war.

Why does the AI seem to love that small chunk of Mexico there, anyway? I swear every time I play I see the US nab that chunk before the Civil War fires. Makes me wish they would just take all of Mexico so at least the borders are nice and straight.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Don Gato posted:

Why does the AI seem to love that small chunk of Mexico there, anyway? I swear every time I play I see the US nab that chunk before the Civil War fires. Makes me wish they would just take all of Mexico so at least the borders are nice and straight.

I like to take that state (can't remember what it's called right now) and Baja California when I'm the USA to get a second Florida. Also because this way it's the USA with a little extra downstairs :cool:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It was only after playing a game as Belgium that I realised what an anomaly the USA is in V2 because it spends the whole game vastly underpopulated.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Alchenar posted:

It was only after playing a game as Belgium that I realised what an anomaly the USA is in V2 because it spends the whole game vastly underpopulated.

It's a little better at the 1861 start, the Great Lakes and West are considerably more filled in which allows real population growth to take hold in a more historical fashion.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Alchenar posted:

That sounds pretty historically accurate. Hell, I'm pretty sure it's pretty accurate even today. According to Wikipedia, the USA comes in at 179th in the world in terms of population density. It's a huge loving country. It has less than half the population of Europe, and almost three times the land area.

Canada's even emptier, though. I remember reading that over 90% of the population lives within 100 miles of the American border, and we're the second biggest country on the planet. :canada:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DStecks posted:

That sounds pretty historically accurate. Hell, I'm pretty sure it's pretty accurate even today. According to Wikipedia, the USA comes in at 179th in the world in terms of population density. It's a huge loving country. It has less than half the population of Europe, and almost three times the land area.

Canada's even emptier, though. I remember reading that over 90% of the population lives within 100 miles of the American border, and we're the second biggest country on the planet. :canada:

Oh it's accurate, but it means that the game experience is very different because you don't industrialise in the same way. Playing as Belgium for example you'll see intense Factory expansion because there's a ton of workers in a very small space. In the US you'll see shitloads of very small factories all over the place.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Russian South Madagascar. The best colony.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I have Darkest Hour on Steam, which only updates to 1.02 instead of the 1.03 release. Is there some way to install the 1.03 patch or is it not worth the hassle anyway?

Also, what's the difference between a Paradox Account and an account on the Paradox forums?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 28, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Patter Song posted:

Russian South Madagascar. The best colony.

...did they conquer Persia, or...?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

grancheater posted:

Jerusalem will NEVER De Jure drift, they have a special tag forbidding it. This also means you cannot De Jure drift duchies INTO it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

...did they conquer Persia, or...?

France DOWed Madagascar, its ally Russia took over the war, and Russia added "Russia Acquires South Madagascar" and settled the war for it. Since then, Russia finished off Madagascar and conquered most of Egypt and colonized a big chunk of Sudan. Biggest AI Russian Empire I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have Darkest Hour on Steam, which only updates to 1.02 instead of the 1.03 release. Is there some way to install the 1.03 patch or is it not worth the hassle anyway?

• Locked thread