Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
What he told us is that he doesn't exist.

Also, the ether is a part of the world, not separate from it. Or as Coyote says: "It is as much a part of this world as the ocean or the sky" here

When people die, their minds are "released into the ether" and that power allows coyote's "world to spin".

The thing about Coyote that makes him different from something like the Chaos gods is that Coyote actually is a god, as are all of the other gods from all the other mythologies and cultures. When Jones talks to Annie about Coyote's "thought experiment" about "who put the stars in the sky" (here), she seems to imply that Coyote is not the only mythological god that's around (for instance we also know about Odin from that Brinnie chick). So basically Coyote has been around forever, as have all the other gods that exist. They weren't created at some point in time like the Chaos gods were, and they are actual gods in the sense that they have done all the things they are said to have done in their mythologies (like creating the world, or putting the stars in the sky, or whatever).

Which, as Jones points out on the next page, presents a funky paradox. And I think that the reason why she directly goes into "the ether and the human mind together can do some crazy poo poo". Because that's the important part. Coyote put the stars in the sky, but the stars have also been around since they formed like billions of years ago. These things are both true.

But like how Jones doesn't spill the beans on the dinosaurs, the specifics aren't important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I picked up the books people wanted, just aitf 1 + 2 + pins though, I didn't wanna go for anything more expensive and risk having people drop out on me. I'll start messaging people for addresses/shipping soon, probably late Sunday, having a rather busy weekend.

Also, hey Tom :haw:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I'm hyped :woop:

You rock Nettle Soup!

Tom ain't so bad either.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nettle Soup posted:

Also, hey Tom :haw:

Does he look like his avatar?
This one:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Complete with spiders.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Which, as Jones points out on the next page, presents a funky paradox. And I think that the reason why she directly goes into "the ether and the human mind together can do some crazy poo poo". Because that's the important part. Coyote put the stars in the sky, but the stars have also been around since they formed like billions of years ago. These things are both true.

Terry Pratchett: The Last Continent posted:

’O’ course, when I say thirty thousand years,’ said the kangaroo, ‘I mean it depends how you look at it. Even them hand paintings on the top’ve been there five thousand years, see. And those faint ones… Oh, yes, got to be pretty old, tens of thousands of years, except-‘
‘Except what?’
‘They weren’t here last week, mate.’
‘You’re saying they’ve been here for ages… but not for very long?’
‘See? I knew you was clever.’

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Why would you quote Pratchett when I don't have immediate access to all my Discworld books? That's cruel.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I was thinking of Pratchett too, but mostly the end of Hogfather when Death confirmed the consequences which would have happened if they failed.

Terry Pratchett posted:

“WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF YOU HADN'T SAVED HIM?
"Yes! The sun would have risen just the same, yes?"
NO
"Oh, come on. You can't expect me to believe that. It's an astronomical fact."
THE SUN WOULD NOT HAVE RISEN.
"Really? Then what would have happened, pray?"
A MERE BALL OF FLAMING GAS WOULD HAVE ILLUMINATED THE WORLD.”

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
brb gotta read every fuckin Discworld book on top of re-reading the comic.

You assholes. :mad:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Anoia posted:

brb gotta read every fuckin Discworld book on top of re-reading the comic.

You assholes. :mad:

You have a good excuse, at least - The Colour of Magic came out 30 years ago today (November 24th, 1983)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People have started leaking some of the events of Annie in the forest 2, not sure if I should repeat them here.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

People have started leaking some of the events of Annie in the forest 2, not sure if I should repeat them here.

If you do, spoiler them please :wink:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Please do not leak Annie in the Forest spoilers until the book is out for everyone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

VanSandman posted:

Please do not leak Annie in the Forest spoilers until the book is out for everyone.

Fair enough. I just really like to gossip about comics. :sweatdrop:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Speaking of AitF, is there any possibility of a (paid) PDF release anytime soon? I'm eager to give Tom money for it, but don't want to shell out for shipping or have another book laying around until I move into a bigger place.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Penguissimo posted:

Speaking of AitF, is there any possibility of a (paid) PDF release anytime soon? I'm eager to give Tom money for it, but don't want to shell out for shipping or have another book laying around until I move into a bigger place.

Supposedly he's going to put the whole thing up on the website sometime after Part 2 is released.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I have no doubt that Tom will post AitF online, but I think Penguissimo makes a good point -- there are plenty of people who'd pay for a nice (higher resolution) electronic version because they don't want a paper book but still want an excuse to throw some money at Tom or due to shipping costs, etc. I have vol 1 on paper and will be ordering vol 2, but would definitely buy it in a non-drm'd electronic form too.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Rasamune posted:

Supposedly he's going to put the whole thing up on the website sometime after Part 2 is released.

drat, this seems really generous. I was perfectly happy for those willing to pay for printed stuff to get a neat little side story just for them.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Alright guys, I'll send out totals tomorrow. Have everything put into labelled envelopes but I wanna get an estimate from the post office about shipping, as the Royal Mail is currently charging me £3.50 to send to the USA and £6.99 to send within the UK. Badge was £5, aitf books were £5, A5 envelopes, priceless. The dude who asked me for Vol 4, I didn't pick it up because I didn't want to carry it all around the fair and then all the way home again, but it's the same price on Amazon anyway.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Cool thing. Apparently someone talked to Tom while buying the books, and when Annie in the Forest is done, the next Outside the Walls story is going to be about Paz in Spain.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Cool thing. Apparently someone talked to Tom while buying the books, and when Annie in the Forest is done, the next Outside the Walls story is going to be about Paz in Spain.

Yes! More Paz is exactly what the comic needs right now.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Spain is a pretty place that I want to visit. Especially if it is Galicia. You better do it justice Tom.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It better be entirely in Spanish. :p

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

RabidWeasel posted:

drat, this seems really generous. I was perfectly happy for those willing to pay for printed stuff to get a neat little side story just for them.

Well depending on the resolution Tom posts them at, it might be worth it to have the physical copy just because of how big and pretty the artwork is.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Whitenoise Poster posted:

:swoon:

Paz is cool. Talking to animals is cool.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Paz teams up with a wise cracking cow to solve crimes in Spain*

*special cameo by city face

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Paz Cadena Blanco en:

"Cara de Ciudad y el misterio de la Vaca"

FezCactus
Jun 2, 2013

Butt dance, butt dance
Pronto regresamos con Annie en el Bosque...

Despues de Annie en el Bosque, empezara el nuevo capitulo de la series "Afuera de las Parades". Ella era una niña simple. Mas linda del barrio y con un gran corazon. Pero un dia se encontro con una vaca tan estraño. Eso fue cuando descrubio que ella... puede hablar con los animales. Esta noche empiesa la aventura mas grande que esta niña de Galicia. Intruduciendo Paz Cadena-Blanca como Paz. Cara de Cuidad como Cara la Paloma, y Vaca como Vaca Preciosa. A las ocho, vean osi este grupo de amigos pueden encontrar el...

"MISTERIO DE LA VACA DE RAYOS LASER"

Gracias por estando con GKUniv13, tu canal Español en las paredes de amor~

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
doesn't she speak Portuguese?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Galicians speak Spanish and their own local tongue. They do not speak Portuguese. Their local language has a lot of similarities with Portuguese, however.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

If she comes from a farmland family as Tom has said then it's almost certain she would speak gallego and spanish. Galicians are also stereotypically portrayed as stubborn. It'd be easy to confuse the language with portuguese since as the previous poster said, they're related. My favorite spanish secondary language however is Catalan, it's beautiful to listen to.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Gallego is this bizarre mixture between Spanish and Portuguese, it reminds me of myself trying to convert Portuguese to Spanish when talking to a native Spanish speaker, but it's an actual dialect and not someone trying to get by on "intermediate Spanish" because he speaks a similar language.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Galicians speak Spanish and their own local tongue. They do not speak Portuguese. Their local language has a lot of similarities with Portuguese, however.

Yup, Gallego is essentially a mix between Portuguese and Spanish. In fact, calling it Portuguese is liable to get you punched in the face in some parts of Spain because of regional politics/identity and some people take that stuff extremely seriously. But its not that uncommon for Gallego speakers to use both Castellano Spanish and Gallego together, sometimes in the same sentence even if they are talking to themselves or to other Galicians. So Paz using Castellano at times isn't weird at all. And as mentioned Galicia is a very rural region with lots of small villages, so some Galicians will downplay Gallego in favor of Castellano because they don't want people to think they are bumpkins or something.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 25, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

JuniperCake posted:

Yup, Gallego is essentially a mix between Portuguese and Spanish. In fact, calling it Portuguese is liable to get you punched in the face in some parts of Spain because of regional politics/identity and some people take that stuff extremely seriously.
On a related note, I dare anyone itt to go to Barcelona and call a local a Castillan.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Annie is still in their room. But now I choose to believe she is making a "Happy Coming Out" card.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is that a pigeon drawing on the wall?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It is indeed!

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1170

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1205

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I've always liked the scenes of Rey and Kat talking to each other for some reason.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Rey seems to think something else is up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
He's just stringing Kat along until the surprise party is ready to go.