Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dana Crysalis posted:

The best elemental resists would be using Object X and a level 10 Spice, and a Mealy Apple, as the last three things on your gear. Object X reverses the effects of all following tempering, and Spices have HUGE elemental negatives. And the Mealy Apple is -11% all resists (including light/dark!), and around -150 all stats. It's friggin amazing.

I tried experimenting with the spices/object X, but it seemed like they didn't add much in the way of resistances. I'll try that again - it seems like it could be useful. Mealy apples would be amazing, but I'm still at the point of the game where I'm leveling up crops and needing some money, so I'm loathe to call in typhoons that will destroy all of that.

Edit: just tried Object X + spices (they were not level 10, however), and while they reduce resistances by 30%, they only increase resistances by 11% when upgraded onto an item. That might change at higher levels; I'll try again when I get some higher level materials to make them out of.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is elemental resists really worth gearing for? Outside of weird one off situations (like that room in Rune Prana one full of fire mages), there aren't really all that many dangerous attacks that aren't telegraphed to gently caress and back. The only refight boss in Sharance Maze to pose any danger to me has been Ambrosia, mainly because that sonic attack thing isn't telegraphed at all. Pretty sure that's non-elemental anyway.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Blhue posted:

Is elemental resists really worth gearing for? Outside of weird one off situations (like that room in Rune Prana one full of fire mages), there aren't really all that many dangerous attacks that aren't telegraphed to gently caress and back. The only refight boss in Sharance Maze to pose any danger to me has been Ambrosia, mainly because that sonic attack thing isn't telegraphed at all. Pretty sure that's non-elemental anyway.

early on some Sharanace Bosses will have some fairly hard to dodge super spells, like Meteor drops and such, but all my resists come from Mealy Apples on my gear, I actually don't have spices on any of my stuff. (I didn't think about it til too late, and I've invested far too much material into my current gear)

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
I just crafted all the 80% resist brooches and L-Pocketed them when something particularly dangerous came along.

In other news, I snagged both the strongest fist and staff weapons from weapon boxes today. :woop:

Edit: Holy poo poo gates can spits out treasure chests

Reallycoolname fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 4, 2013

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Ever since Fall, every villager refuses to accompany me on an adventure, even though they did before. What the heck is going on?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is there a town event going on that you haven't completed?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Blhue posted:

Is there a town event going on that you haven't completed?

That is almost definitely it. Go check your journal.

That always happens to me and then I remember I agreed to a slumber party a week ago and forgot about it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Interesting little thing I found out today - there's a wooly statue inside the Obsidian Mansion that you can hit with weapons. It also actually gives skillups when you smack it, and it never gets destroyed or runs out of HP. It doesn't train any resists since it can't get status ailments, but it's fantastic for grinding up weapon skill if you're so inclined. Remember that using a weapon skill of a certain type gives you experience for that weapon regardless of what you have equipped. For example, using millionstrike, a spear skill, with dual blades equipped gives you spear experience, not dual blades experience.

I just spent a few in game days grinding up my weapon skills to 50, and now I can craft the strongest weapons in each category. As an added bonus, most of the ultimate weapons don't require anything from the Rune Prana, so I can finally advance my weapons without having the damned place unlocked!

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

I just spent a few in game days grinding up my weapon skills to 50, and now I can craft the strongest weapons in each category. As an added bonus, most of the ultimate weapons don't require anything from the Rune Prana, so I can finally advance my weapons without having the damned place unlocked!

Just curious how long you have been waiting for the post game event. It took me about two seasons for it to trigger so good luck!

I just started my second game, this time as the boy character. I did the carryover thing to see how it worked and it's pretty cool. You get all your levels, gear, money, princess points, all your furniture (so your stocked fridge and storage chest), all your unlocked farmland/monster barns/animals. Pretty much the only thing missing is your recipe lists, but you can store as many recipe breads as you want in your fridge before the carryover so I recommend doing that. I didn't store many regular ones but that isn't a big deal cause I have a bunch of + breads and money to buy the regular ones.

I beat Yokmir Forest in like 2 minutes because I am over level 400. I wonder how quickly you can beat the game this way.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Fru Fru posted:

Just curious how long you have been waiting for the post game event. It took me about two seasons for it to trigger so good luck!

I think it's been about two seasons, but only about 30 days since I met the required friendship levels. I'm not too worried about it though, because I'm capable of clearing out the entirety of the maze thanks to a couple of high level boss monsters that I tamed. It does mean that when I do unlock the final dungeon that I'll absolutely steamroll all over everything, but it is what it is.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
There's a certain room in Leon Karnak with about ten fire mages who are behind barriers and basically immune to magic. Is there a trick I'm missing, or should I just craft fire resistance and a spear?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mordecai posted:

There's a certain room in Leon Karnak with about ten fire mages who are behind barriers and basically immune to magic. Is there a trick I'm missing, or should I just craft fire resistance and a spear?

Try using glittia augite (from sparkling trees - hoe in some corn or withered grass to restore their health and you can keep them indefinitely) on your weapon combined with either double steel or tenfold steel (you can get that from mineral squeaks that spawn rarely at the bottom right room in Leon Karnak; they look like normal red/yellow squeaks and spawn with them). You can also slot in glittia augite when making a weapon (a good way to do this is to make the shittiest version of your current weapon, put in a good high tier weapon as one of the components, and then fill the rest of the slots with useful stuff like powerful boss drops, glittia augite, shade stone, etc.) and it will increase the weapon's range. You can end up with a weapon that will hit something like half the screen, and when combined with rune abilities, will make hitting just about anything a cakewalk.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Alternatively, a spear and a fire resistance necklace like you said is exactly how I did that room. There are a few other rooms later which also involve needing to kill something that is difficult to reach, so keeping something ranged handy is a good idea in general.

Edit: Come to think of it, has anyone checked if npcs benefit from glitta augite upgraded weapons and if so are their ai's smart enough to use them?

Blhue fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 5, 2013

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I think I'm getting close to having all the quests done for my new game plus. Right now I'm on the befriend 50 monsters quest, I don't know how many I have left but this one's gonna take a metric rear end-ton of lumber and stone and time. Bleh.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

So if I understand right, the best way to trigger a specific town event is to play the game normally (saving each day before you go to bed), until you get a day where a town event occurs. Then, reload to the day before, ask someone who participates in the event you want to join you, then go to sleep. If they leave in the morning, trigger the town event and check the diary to make sure it's the right one. If they stay in the morning, reload to the night before and try again.

Does this all sound right?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

So if I understand right, the best way to trigger a specific town event is to play the game normally (saving each day before you go to bed), until you get a day where a town event occurs. Then, reload to the day before, ask someone who participates in the event you want to join you, then go to sleep. If they leave in the morning, trigger the town event and check the diary to make sure it's the right one. If they stay in the morning, reload to the night before and try again.

Does this all sound right?

Hmmm no I don't think so. The method you are talking about is I think what people use to get a specific event to occur. Like for example if you wanna marry Dylas, have him join your party. Now go save and sleep repeatedly until he leaves. That means you triggered an event involving him. So then you go do the event. If you sleep for like a week and nothing happens then reload. Or don't if you don't have anything going on in your fields.

If it isn't the event you want, it's better to just do it anyway, don't bother reloading. Once you get it out of the way, it won't happen again.

And if you are not getting any events to trigger, try talking to Margaret/Doug and see if they want you do to a sleepover. That might be overwriting them, not sure how those work.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

A couple of new screenshots of the new Harvest Moon:

Finally, you can arrange your house the way you want it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sweet. Hopefully it gets localized reasonably quickly.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So I have been playing Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny for quite a while now. I'm very far in all crafting skills except the goddamn accessories. For whatever reason I never received a quest for the lvl 2 rings, so I'm sitting there at skill lvl 40, slowly progressing by farming monster drops and ores. Is this a common bug or what? Every villager is at 3-6 fp already.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Its been a while so I'm not sure, but you're saying you don't have the really low level recipes? Did you examine the accessory crafting station in the rich person's house? Just like the other stations, doing so causes the person who uses that station to give you a starting recipe book. I recall I completely missed it and went without those early recipes for a long time.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

FrickenMoron posted:

So I have been playing Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny for quite a while now. I'm very far in all crafting skills except the goddamn accessories. For whatever reason I never received a quest for the lvl 2 rings, so I'm sitting there at skill lvl 40, slowly progressing by farming monster drops and ores. Is this a common bug or what? Every villager is at 3-6 fp already.

I have some vague recollection that crafting and recipes not lining up, like the level 2 are actually level S or 3 or whatever. Fogu may have something but I wasn't able to dig it up with a cursory search http://fogu.com/hmforum/viewforum.php?f=15

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I have all other crafting recipes up to S level by now. Rings level 2 are missing though, apparently theyre supposed to come from beatrix at around 2-3 FP, but the quest never turned up yet. I'm getting close to the end of the story (wind shrine lvl 6) but my defense is seriously lacking because I have a hard time leveling my accessories skill!

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
RF4 hot tip:

So after scouring the japanese RF4 wiki using my crappy knowledge of the language (and Google translate) I figured out a couple of things:

- No Res (the attribute given when you upgrade with the four cores) is actually resistant against non-elemental attacks. You might notice that G Golem has this.

- Pets can get 100% No Res, people can only get up to 50%.

- BUT! It stacks with the Fire Pendant, Art of Magic *and* Dolphin Brooch (I think it does anyway). You could probably combine it with crystal flowers and tenfold steels to make gods out of the villagers.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Being able to make a thing is based off the item skill right? I have tier 3 of my farming tools except for my axe and my fishing rod, and I'm wondering what level I need to get my lumberjackery to so I can get the higher tier axe.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Only the recipe, actually making it is based of the relevant crafting skill. You can just snoop on the wiki and figure out what you need to craft and make it.

Most of the farm tools just change out tiers of ore, though, so you can just look at the other axes and trade out whatever tier of ore everything else is at for it.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing A New Beginning recently, I'm only up to Fall of my first year, and was wondering if anyone is still playing it (or used to play it) who had a few items they might want to trade with me. Would like to get an amethyst to build the maker shed (I'm still a ways away from getting the mine unlocked), and/or a silkie egg so I can hatch one way before I'd normally unlock it. I don't have a ton of great stuff to trade back but maybe some bottles/cans or something has value to someone?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Palleon posted:

I've been playing A New Beginning recently, I'm only up to Fall of my first year, and was wondering if anyone is still playing it (or used to play it) who had a few items they might want to trade with me. Would like to get an amethyst to build the maker shed (I'm still a ways away from getting the mine unlocked), and/or a silkie egg so I can hatch one way before I'd normally unlock it. I don't have a ton of great stuff to trade back but maybe some bottles/cans or something has value to someone?

Sure thing, I can get you both. My friendcode is 3840-5346-7936. I'm pretty much done with the game so I don't need anything in return.
Edit: Wait, I forgot you can do this without friend codes. My farmer is Hunter and my farm is Kudzu.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 24, 2013

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

Sure thing, I can get you both. My friendcode is 3840-5346-7936. I'm pretty much done with the game so I don't need anything in return.
Edit: Wait, I forgot you can do this without friend codes. My farmer is Hunter and my farm is Kudzu.

Thanks, I'll get booted up in a few minutes and look for you (not sure how to do the whole online thing but how hard can it be?)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Palleon posted:

Thanks, I'll get booted up in a few minutes and look for you (not sure how to do the whole online thing but how hard can it be?)

Select multiplayer and "search for room" and look for "Hunter" or "Kudzu." Also it'd help me if you posted your character name/farm name so I'd know when to close the room.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

Select multiplayer and "search for room" and look for "Hunter" or "Kudzu." Also it'd help me if you posted your character name/farm name so I'd know when to close the room.

I'm Rob, from Echo Farm, can give you my friend code too if you want to avoid anyone else popping in, it's 0103-9588-9096

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Palleon posted:

I'm Rob, from Echo Farm, can give you my friend code too if you want to avoid anyone else popping in, it's 0103-9588-9096

Alright, set. I kept having to boot Japanese players in the open multiplayer rooms.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

Alright, set. I kept having to boot Japanese players in the open multiplayer rooms.

Thanks a ton, saved me a lot of time.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Glad I could help.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Several characters in RF4, like Kiel, say they like sweets. Any suggestions on what to give them? I'm saving up for a steamer to make Flan which only takes egg and milk, but I haven't had a chance to test it and it could be awhile before my cooking skill is high enough and I have enough stone.

TurnipFritter posted:

It's awesome to see people still helping out on multiplayer and you are an awesome person for doing so. I may just get ANB when I finish RF4 after all.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

LLSix posted:

Several characters in RF4, like Kiel, say they like sweets. Any suggestions on what to give them?

Baked Apples only require one apple and can be made in the Frying Pan. They're only level 9 so you should be able to make them consistently with very low cooking skill.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Getting that steamer is good anyway since flan is a special gift for Dolce.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Oh, neat, a Harvest Moon thread. I've been a fan for quite a while, having grown up with Friends of Mineral Town. I've been playing A New Beginning a lot recently, the pitiful lack of varying dialogue is almost made up for by the satisfaction from being able to build up the town by myself. Yuri is also the best marriage candidate around.

I've got a question, too: How does RF4 compare to RF3? RF3 has pretty much become my absolute favorite game in the series, does RF4 have the same (or greater) amount/quality of dialogue? One of my favorite things about RF3 was that you actually had a short conversation with each villager on most days, and it took forever to see any repeats. Is it mostly the same in 4?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

dmboogie posted:

Oh, neat, a Harvest Moon thread. I've been a fan for quite a while, having grown up with Friends of Mineral Town. I've been playing A New Beginning a lot recently, the pitiful lack of varying dialogue is almost made up for by the satisfaction from being able to build up the town by myself. Yuri is also the best marriage candidate around.

I've got a question, too: How does RF4 compare to RF3? RF3 has pretty much become my absolute favorite game in the series, does RF4 have the same (or greater) amount/quality of dialogue? One of my favorite things about RF3 was that you actually had a short conversation with each villager on most days, and it took forever to see any repeats. Is it mostly the same in 4?

There's a fair bit of repeat dialogue, but every other day has new dialogue on average. And there's unique dialogues leading up to and after every dungeon so as long as you keep the story moving so as long as you keep the story moving you can see mostly new dialogue most of the time. I haven't played RF3, but from the LP the characters seem slightly less insane, but still very anime and crazy.

The game play is very fast and smooth compared to the Harvest Moon games on the wii.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

LLSix posted:

There's a fair bit of repeat dialogue, but every other day has new dialogue on average. And there's unique dialogues leading up to and after every dungeon so as long as you keep the story moving so as long as you keep the story moving you can see mostly new dialogue most of the time. I haven't played RF3, but from the LP the characters seem slightly less insane, but still very anime and crazy.

The game play is very fast and smooth compared to the Harvest Moon games on the wii.

In both RF3 and RF4, a few characters repeat more than others. Most of the characters say new stuff regularly. I can't say this will continue into year two though because I'm still in winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Is it possible to befriend any of the bosses on the floating island?

• Locked thread