Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Plus you get fuel rewards. I have friends who (like us) buy everything on amazon. But they use a %5 grocery cash back card to buy amazon cards and get fuel points too. Holiday promotions like the one posted above allow them to triple dip on rewards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I assume BCP is harder to get? I'm afraid I wouldn't get approved for an Amex and the hard pull will hurt me otherwise. The BCE also has no interest on transfers, so that'd be win/win.

The card I already have is with Capital One though so that'd definitely be an easy fall back option.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

xie posted:

I assume BCP is harder to get? I'm afraid I wouldn't get approved for an Amex and the hard pull will hurt me otherwise. The BCE also has no interest on transfers, so that'd be win/win.

The card I already have is with Capital One though so that'd definitely be an easy fall back option.

Credit Karma shows the average credit rating approved for both Amex BC Everyday and Preferred, and it'll give you a direct link to sign up if your Credit Karma rating is within range

EDIT:

Credit Karma says...

Blue Cash Preferred - 734 is the average score approved, 684 is the lowest score approved
Blue Cash Everyday - 736 is the average score approved, 683 is the lowest score approved

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 17, 2013

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
Six months ago I got an offer in the mail for Capital One's VentureOne card. I don't travel, so I tried to talk the rep into giving me the 1.5% cash back card instead, but got turned down.

Today I decided to give it another shot and applied and got approved, with a $10,000 limit! :monocle: That seems like a crazy amount of money to a poor college student working a part-time job like myself, and is way higher than any credit limit I've ever had before. I wonder what changed so much in six months?

Just in time to pay spring tuition... :getin:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
AmEx changed the Blue Cash Everyday offer from $100 cash back after spending $1000 to $50 cash back after spending $1000, plus a 1-year Amazon Prime membership.

That suuuuuuuucks

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Chase Freedom is currently $200 bonus after spending $500 in 3 months, if anyone was on the verge of signing up.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I already have an Amazon Rewards card. But I'd also like to get some recommendations on a low interest card.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

I already have an Amazon Rewards card. But I'd also like to get some recommendations on a low interest card.

A credit union. My no rewards, no fee Visa from my credit union is 6.9% APR with a silly limit like 12k.

Of course I am in no way advocating carrying a balance on a credit card as even "low" APR cards are still expensive if you don't pay it off every month. I haven't regularly used my CU card for ages, but it's my oldest account and I keep in case of some unlikely emergency.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I recently signed up for the Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card due to them advertising a 50,000 mile bonus upon spending $2,000 in the first three months. I just received my card today and there is no mention of the 50k bonus anywhere in the letter or on my online account. I sent Chase an email but I'm hoping that someone who have had experience with this card can tell me what's going on.

Also, I have an Alaska Airlines card with Bank of America with a balance. I pay my cards in full every month but was wondering whether I could pay off my Alaska card with my new Chase card to gather the miles?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Busy Bee posted:

Also, I have an Alaska Airlines card with Bank of America with a balance. I pay my cards in full every month but was wondering whether I could pay off my Alaska card with my new Chase card to gather the miles?
That would be a balance transfer, which usually has a fee associated with it and probably won't get you any rewards.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker

Busy Bee posted:

I recently signed up for the Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card due to them advertising a 50,000 mile bonus upon spending $2,000 in the first three months. I just received my card today and there is no mention of the 50k bonus anywhere in the letter or on my online account. I sent Chase an email but I'm hoping that someone who have had experience with this card can tell me what's going on.

I did the united, just call the number and have a rep verify.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Busy Bee posted:

Basically no credit card promos ever show up on any literature when you get the card.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Fed up with BoA, I just recently applied for a Capital One QuikSilver card and was happy to see they approved me for 20k limit and 16%. In the past, I had paid all my bills automatically straight from my checking account. However, can I setup bill pay so my credit card is charged every month instead? Will I get 1.5% cashback on bills? Is there any sort of fee involved for doing that?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

FateFree posted:

Fed up with BoA, I just recently applied for a Capital One QuikSilver card and was happy to see they approved me for 20k limit and 16%. In the past, I had paid all my bills automatically straight from my checking account. However, can I setup bill pay so my credit card is charged every month instead? Will I get 1.5% cashback on bills? Is there any sort of fee involved for doing that?

I think the only thing stopping you is sometimes auto pay setups only work with a bank account and routing number. Check your auto pay settings and see if cards are accepted.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

FateFree posted:

Billpay is more of a checking account thing I think. You'll need to setup all your recurring bills (like power) through your providers website.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FateFree posted:

Depends on the provider. AT&T doesn't charge me extra to pay with a credit card, but everyone else I deal with does. The fee to pay my 45 dollar water bill is something like 4.95 which obviously doesn't make sense.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

skipdogg posted:

Depends on the provider. AT&T doesn't charge me extra to pay with a credit card, but everyone else I deal with does. The fee to pay my 45 dollar water bill is something like 4.95 which obviously doesn't make sense.
Geico actually gave me a discount for letting them bill my credit card. Sure, why not?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The main reason I bill everything to my bank account instead of credit card is so that it doesn't get hosed up every single time my card number changes, which happens about once a year for one reason or another. The hassle is not worth the rewards...

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

slap me silly posted:

The main reason I bill everything to my bank account instead of credit card is so that it doesn't get hosed up every single time my card number changes, which happens about once a year for one reason or another. The hassle is not worth the rewards...

This actually saved me once, when my card was changed I found out stamps.com was charging me every 6 months for jack poo poo.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I read my bank statements :)

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Hey I was looking to get a new credit card and was wondering if anyone had any advise for me. I currently have the Kroger Rewards card which isn't great, but i've had it for a year paying off the balance the whole time.

I was looking for a new card and saw the quicksilver 1.5% cashback card which looked appealing, especially since I had an ing bank account which is now capitalone.

I also was thinking about some sort of delta airline rewards card, since I fly about 2-3 times a year and something like free checked bags might add up.

I spend about 800-900/month on my credit card to provide some context. I think my credit rating is alright, i haven't really checked but most of my credit history is this past year with the kroger card, and like 4 years before that with a cosigned card with my parents, which was rarely used but also fully paid off every month.

I'm not sure about a rotating rewards card since i think i'll just be too lazy to check every month to see what changed.

Any suggestions? Maybe some alternatives to what I'm thinking?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
If you fly Delta and want to earn Skymiles you should check out the Delta co-branded AMEX. Annual fee of $95 for the basic one, but the free checked bag would make up for it if you fly a few times a year.

I do like how the CapOne Quicksilver card lets you redeem your cashback in any amount instead of starting at $20 or $50 like the others.

Also, the Chase Freedom and Discover cards only change categories quarterly, not monthly. I get a text message whenever registration opens for the new categories and replying to the text enrolls my card.

edit: General PSA for all American Express cardholders. Saturday November 30 is Small Business Saturday. Earn a $10 statement credit after spending $10 at an eligible local business. You should be able to get the credit on each AMEX card you have.

Register your cards here: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/Shop-Small/

nickutz fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 25, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The best rewards credit card is the one that suits your lifestyle. I don't fly or eat out often so many of the popular cards like Chase Sapphire Preferred or any airline card don't make much sense for me. I have a Chase Disney, and Discover IT card that I normally use. The Discover is for the rotating categories, and the Chase Disney replaced my debit card. We're going to Disney in about 16 months so I'm putting most of my normal purchases through it as sort of a forced savings account. I should have 250 disney bucks by the time we go.

The CapOne Quicksilver card is a good card with 1.5% flat cash back, but be aware if you ever do have to float a balance on the card the APR is high, even top credit is looking at 16%.

The AMEX Delta Gold card has some good sign up bonuses right now, and it may work really well for you as well. Free checked bags alone would cover the annual fee, and establishing a relationship with AMEX is never a bad thing.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

turbomoose posted:

I was looking for a new card and saw the quicksilver 1.5% cashback card which looked appealing, especially since I had an ing bank account which is now capitalone.

I did this for the same reason but keep in mind the two accounts are not linked yet because Capital One 360 is apparently a separate entity from Capital One sort of. I called in and was told they are working on a single sign on solution so at least thats on the horizon.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Is it possible to link Paypal to your credit card, and then have automatic bill pay pointing towards your paypal account? Its annoying the gently caress out of me that I can get every bill I have auto billed to my credit card every month except for my PSEG bill - they only accept bank accounts. There's probably some other middle man service but I'm sure it will be costing more than the reward points.

Edit - or perhaps some wacky loophole with Google Wallet?

FateFree fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 26, 2013

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

nickutz posted:

edit: General PSA for all American Express cardholders. Saturday November 30 is Small Business Saturday. Earn a $10 statement credit after spending $10 at an eligible local business. You should be able to get the credit on each AMEX card you have.

Register your cards here: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/Shop-Small/

Good looking out, I completely forgot about this. The regular Amex Offers are also fantastic. I needed printer ink, and what do you know $25 off $75 at Staples. :toot:

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Dantu posted:

Good looking out, I completely forgot about this. The regular Amex Offers are also fantastic. I needed printer ink, and what do you know $25 off $75 at Staples. :toot:

If you have a Blue of any sort you also get a free ShopRunner membership, which is "worth $79" but more importantly gives you free 2-day shipping at a bunch of places. Useful for holiday shopping :v:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Bisty Q. posted:

If you have a Blue of any sort you also get a free ShopRunner membership, which is "worth $79" but more importantly gives you free 2-day shipping at a bunch of places. Useful for holiday shopping :v:

This is actually available for both the Platinum and SPG as well.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
What are everyone's opinions on the Visa Black Card? On the one hand, the factor of having a card made of stainless steel is interesting. On the other, $495 Annual Fee (no waiving here!).

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

landcollector posted:

What are everyone's opinions on the Visa Black Card? On the one hand, the factor of having a card made of stainless steel is interesting. On the other, $495 Annual Fee (no waiving here!).

It's nearly universally ridiculed over at myFico but to be fair, by people who have no actual experience with it. You'd have to use the hell out of the concierge to get good value IMHO. Other metal card to check out is JPM Ritz Carlton.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

landcollector posted:

The benefits pale in comparison to similar cards.

If really want a metal card get the Chase Sapphire Preferred, the sign up bonus will pay for it for a few years. I received a lot of compliments from people working cashiering when I owned the card. https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/sapphire-preferred-card.aspx?CELL=63WS&inkcashsplit=1&inkplussplit=1&sapphireprefsplit=4

If you want a lot of perks then the get the American Express Platinum card. There are other cards in that class but Amex Platinum is still the best. You'll need to do the research yourself, but you should quickly find out that the Visa Black Card benefits are overpriced and the card under delivers.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Medikit posted:

The benefits pale in comparison to similar cards.

If really want a metal card get the Chase Sapphire Preferred, the sign up bonus will pay for it for a few years. I received a lot of compliments from people working cashiering when I owned the card. https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/sapphire-preferred-card.aspx?CELL=63WS&inkcashsplit=1&inkplussplit=1&sapphireprefsplit=4

If you want a lot of perks then the get the American Express Platinum card. There are other cards in that class but Amex Platinum is still the best. You'll need to do the research yourself, but you should quickly find out that the Visa Black Card benefits are overpriced and the card under delivers.

As an industry insider, I can tell you that there is no such thing as a "Visa Black Card" in the way that there is an "American Express Black Card." The card you're referring to is a Barclays Black Card, and it's awful. Visa is not happy about the way Barclays is marketing it because the card is such poo poo.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Pissingintowind posted:

As an industry insider, I can tell you that there is no such thing as a "Visa Black Card" in the way that there is an "American Express Black Card." The card you're referring to is a Barclays Black Card, and it's awful. Visa is not happy about the way Barclays is marketing it because the card is such poo poo.

https://www.blackcard.com

I don't see anything about Barclays here. This is the card being referred to

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Lowness 72 posted:

https://www.blackcard.com

I don't see anything about Barclays here. This is the card being referred to

Scroll to the bottom. This is exactly why Visa is pissed.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Pissingintowind posted:

Scroll to the bottom. This is exactly why Visa is pissed.

Holy poo poo. I even looked down there and didn't see it. Visa should be pissed

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

landcollector posted:

If you want a useful expensive black card, get the Citi Prestige or the Citi Executive AAdvantage card.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Small White Dragon posted:

If you want a useful expensive black card, get the Citi Prestige or the Citi Executive AAdvantage card.

Oh, I have no intention of going after cards like those. It was pure curiosity on my part. For one, my habits don't need them. Also, I recently applied (and was instantly approved) for a American Express Blue Card. I don't need anymore cards at the moment.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm looking for a rewards card that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee, as I'm going to be buying some stuff from other countries fairly regularly. I've already got a Discover that doesn't charge a fee, but nobody takes Discover, so I'm looking for either Visa or MasterCard. I know Capital One doesn't charge foreign transaction fees, and the Quicksilver card gives 1.5% cash back, any other cards I should look at?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have the PenFed cash rewards card. The rewards kind of suck now - the only reward is 5% on gas, and you have to have another account with them also. But, no foreign transaction fee, and they will give you a real chip and pin card! Got mine yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

What's so great about the chip and pin?

• Locked thread