Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

LtSmash posted:

Improved Armor Formula fixes armor to not be retarded. In vanilla you can cap your defense with steel or elven armor but beyond that armor is a flat % reduction to damage. When you are near the cap you get more than 5x more survivability out of a point of armor. IAF makes every point of armor increase your survivability the same amount and always makes having a higher armor value better, removing the cap. He links my own IAF for NPCs but its kinda broken and doesn't work nearly as well since npcs never really get high AR, just tons of hp. I've been mulling how to fix it but haven't come up with anything yet.

I was already using this, but I looked at the downloads / endorsements for it and it makes me wonder why this isn't more popular. Anyone who cares just a little bit about making armor work properply should be using this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Yeah but then again it also means that people will probably hold back any form of criticism out of fear of being banned from downloading a mod, even if it's reasonable constructive criticism.

As much as I hate to say it, I think that the guy behind the AMB retexture packs might actually abuse the hell out of this.

That author is very sensitive about his work. He does good work though, and it's free.

I often see goons bashing the Nexus as a hugbox. I could not disagree more as an author to the downfalls many claim a hugbox brings. The entire hugbox debate springs from users who feel entitled enough to believe they have a god given right to publicly criticize any form of game content they want to.

The Nexus does not want passerby's bashing on the content provided for good reasons. It's free, and it's not required. I believe this is a positive. If anyone thinks that allowing typically artistically inept users to freely critic the work of authors will see positive results, they have not put any thought into the subject.

Many authors of mods leave the scene because they get sick of entitled users expecting this or that added or removed. They spend countless hours working on something and all they hear is how it could have been so great if x or y was added. They have jobs and lives usually. Eventually they get fed up and remove all their content and never mod again. It is a last stand of proving that those entitled users do not own them.

Allowing more control to authors over annoying users will better allow respectful users to get more free content. If an author gets a power trip over their ban rights, DO NOT USE THEIR MODS. To me, it is that simple. Overall, it should be a win for both parties.

futile
May 18, 2009

LtSmash posted:

He links my own IAF for NPCs but its kinda broken and doesn't work nearly as well since npcs never really get high AR, just tons of hp. I've been mulling how to fix it but haven't come up with anything yet.
I might be wrong on what this does but what about changing the fArmorRatingBase so NPCs get a higher minimum armor scaling per skill level? Also I always thought really bad looking things like those rocks were from bad low def textures. Didn't realize it was a mesh issue. That's atrocious.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Hothtrooper44 posted:

That author is very sensitive about his work. He does good work though, and it's free.

I often see goons bashing the Nexus as a hugbox. I could not disagree more as an author to the downfalls many claim a hugbox brings. The entire hugbox debate springs from users who feel entitled enough to believe they have a god given right to publicly criticize any form of game content they want to.

The Nexus does not want passerby's bashing on the content provided for good reasons. It's free, and it's not required. I believe this is a positive. If anyone thinks that allowing typically artistically inept users to freely critic the work of authors will see positive results, they have not put any thought into the subject.

Many authors of mods leave the scene because they get sick of entitled users expecting this or that added or removed. They spend countless hours working on something and all they hear is how it could have been so great if x or y was added. They have jobs and lives usually. Eventually they get fed up and remove all their content and never mod again. It is a last stand of proving that those entitled users do not own them.

Allowing more control to authors over annoying users will better allow respectful users to get more free content. If an author gets a power trip over their ban rights, DO NOT USE THEIR MODS. To me, it is that simple. Overall, it should be a win for both parties.

I don't really think that modders being huge babies about dumb people on the internet not liking their mod is something to worry too hard about. I've hosed around with mod creation so I know it isn't easy, but to pretend like it's completely beyond an adult human's ability to ignore xxxgokufucker420xxx's stupid comment is a bit silly. Creating mods is awesome and i'm super glad that so many of you have put in so much effort, but at the same time you're not under superhuman attack or anything.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Hoth, nobody here is against mod authors having the ability to ban certain folks from commenting on their mods if they get too rowdy or having an ignore button handy. We just think that preventing people from actually downloading the mod because that person said something out of the way is a step too far. If people feel like they will be punished for offering some, in their view, valid constructive criticism, people stop offering that criticism or leaving comments period. Who wants to be banned from their favorite mod because the mod author was feeling particularly sensitive one day or took the comment the wrong way? That may be fine with you. I agree with your conclusion, though. If some mod authors get a little ban happy, I'll save both of us the hassle and not download anything from that mod user. I'd probably couldn't get support if any thing happened anyway.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

futile posted:

I might be wrong on what this does but what about changing the fArmorRatingBase so NPCs get a higher minimum armor scaling per skill level? Also I always thought really bad looking things like those rocks were from bad low def textures. Didn't realize it was a mesh issue. That's atrocious.

That might work. The real problem is npcs are sponges because they have huge hp pools while the player is uses armor instead. Really fixing things would mean adjusting the npc hp levels too. Most have pretty crummy skills anyway.

And most of the skyrim textures are very nice. If you have the hd pack pretty much everything is super nice. When things look like poo poo its almost always because the model has a hosed up map and is mangling some artists hard work.

Hothtrooper44 posted:

Well first we probably shouldn't listen to movie critics because how many of them have made great films? The ability to create anything and the ability to judge a thing are not the same. I couldn't make that AvP game but I sure can call it poo poo. Similarly if I check out a mod I may or may not be able to make it but I can still have a valid opinion on it. I'm not saying users should endlessly poo poo up a thread but being able to disagree with the author is needed. If I liked how a custom sword looked but thought maybe it doing 500 damage was unbalanced would saying it get me banned? What if it doing 500 damage was the author's vision and they got really upset?

People being entitled jerks sucks but a decent moderating policy could solve that without it being a hugbox. Beyond that you just have to ignore it eventually. People should mod for fun not so they can get compliments. If you post something people are free to dislike it, that's life. When you make something public you have to expect the bad as well as the good. If the requests from users are too onerous why not stop reading/responding to them instead of taking down the mod?

There's also the whole ownership and territory thing that the nexus reinforces. I'm sure you've seen Wrye's cathedral vs parlor post. Arthmoor and GateGate are a great example of what's wrong with the modding scene, and the nexus directly feeds that.

futile
May 18, 2009

LtSmash posted:

That might work. The real problem is npcs are sponges because they have huge hp pools while the player is uses armor instead. Really fixing things would mean adjusting the npc hp levels too. Most have pretty crummy skills anyway.
I know there's a game setting that changes the NPC HP gain per level too. Problem of course is if you lower that you'd basically be buffing spells relative to physical attacks. :bang:

Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

LtSmash posted:

Well first we probably shouldn't listen to movie critics because how many of them have made great films? The ability to create anything and the ability to judge a thing are not the same. I couldn't make that AvP game but I sure can call it poo poo. Similarly if I check out a mod I may or may not be able to make it but I can still have a valid opinion on it. I'm not saying users should endlessly poo poo up a thread but being able to disagree with the author is needed. If I liked how a custom sword looked but thought maybe it doing 500 damage was unbalanced would saying it get me banned? What if it doing 500 damage was the author's vision and they got really upset?

People being entitled jerks sucks but a decent moderating policy could solve that without it being a hugbox. Beyond that you just have to ignore it eventually. People should mod for fun not so they can get compliments. If you post something people are free to dislike it, that's life. When you make something public you have to expect the bad as well as the good. If the requests from users are too onerous why not stop reading/responding to them instead of taking down the mod?

There's also the whole ownership and territory thing that the nexus reinforces. I'm sure you've seen Wrye's cathedral vs parlor post. Arthmoor and GateGate are a great example of what's wrong with the modding scene, and the nexus directly feeds that.

If you are referring to general feedback, I think few authors mind it when it is critical. It's common on the Nexus. It is the mentality that because a modder enjoys making things for others, they become a slave to others. This is more common than you would think. Many "requests" are barked like commands. Can it be ignored? Of course! Would you subject yourself to ignoring barking daily though? In any other area of life this would be avoided, so I see no reason to assume that because a mod author chose to make their work public they would not still avoid this outcome in what ways they can.

Anyhow, I really have no personal ties to this issue since I haven't had much a problem with user feedback - not that it is all positive but nothing bad enough to write home about. I just stick up for mod author's rights in these cases because I have seen the angry mob in action against some very nice mod authors. Some authors are dicks, but they are the minority.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Hothtrooper44 posted:

If you are referring to general feedback, I think few authors mind it when it is critical. It's common on the Nexus. It is the mentality that because a modder enjoys making things for others, they become a slave to others. This is more common than you would think. Many "requests" are barked like commands. Can it be ignored? Of course! Would you subject yourself to ignoring barking daily though? In any other area of life this would be avoided, so I see no reason to assume that because a mod author chose to make their work public they would not still avoid this outcome in what ways they can.

Anyhow, I really have no personal ties to this issue since I haven't had much a problem with user feedback - not that it is all positive but nothing bad enough to write home about. I just stick up for mod author's rights in these cases because I have seen the angry mob in action against some very nice mod authors. Some authors are dicks, but they are the minority.

I've done customer support, I'm entirely aware of how demanding and/or obnoxious the overentitled assholes of the human species can be. That doesn't make the "you can't download this anymore" option a good one to impose, though. Banning from the comments section for a mod, sure, I don't think anyone is saying that's a bad thing to have in all or even the majority of circumstances. Banning someone from even being able to use the mod strikes me as something that'd create more problems than it'd solve.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Yeah it seems to me like it'll just encourage people to upload it to other places even more resulting in lots of older versions flying around, and having someone telling you they've encountered a bug you already fixed 3 versions ago is consistently infuriating.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

LtSmash posted:

I have suggested in the thread on Nexus for it, that they instead give mods authors the ability to permanently ban people from ever posting in their comment thread again. Moreover, that they maintain a blacklist of any user banned by three or more mod authors, which authors can then subscribe to and prevent anyone on that list from ever posting in their thread. It does seem to solve the problem they (think they) have perfectly, and dodges the very real problem you point out that people will just stop posting valid criticism and, more importantly, bug reports and good suggestions. Reception has been... mixed... I don't think they'll do it.

quote:

I'm sure he's the guy who lobbied for this the hardest. He has certainly complained about comments on the Nexus being too critical in the past. And he's definitely feeling his oats now in the comment thread for it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I nearly never comment nor read comments on the Nexus anyway. I browse for stuff. If something interests me, I download it and check it out. It it doesn't, I look elsewhere and won't waste my time explaining to the authors they should cater to my tastes instead. Only exception would be if there are technical issues, and only after making sure to have read the readme for any "gotchas" that might explain the problem.

Generally, the RELz threads on the Bethesda forums are a better place for giving and receiving feedback anyway.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The thing is, there's no reason to ban someone from downloading your mod except some juvenile idea of 'punishment'.

Sure, if they're making GBS threads up your comments, ban them from posting there - that fixes the problem. If someone is harassing people or whatever, ban them from the site - that fixes the problem. But what does banning someone from downloading your mods solve? It's a feature that exists solely to spite someone who pisses you off.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Hothtrooper44 posted:

As an excellen example of why a hugbox is bad: Take a look at the whole debacle over Grimey's criticism of the Duel mod.
People do have the right to criticism your work and in my opinion you should welcome criticism. If it's some lame "I don't like this"-style comment, you can dismiss it and ignore it. But if they instead took the effort of posting why something doesn't work, or give suggestion on how to improve it, you ought to take a step back and look at your work to see if they have point.
That's how you improve yourself and your work and it's also how normal, well-adjusted people deal with criticism and comments that don't worshop the ground they walk on both on the Internet and in real life.

Hothtrooper44 posted:

If anyone thinks that allowing typically artistically inept users to freely critic the work of authors will see positive results, they have not put any thought into the subject.
If you dismiss criticism on the basis that the person giving it is not "an artist" or "they haven't released a mod", then you're just being dishonest to yourself. It's an excuse for why you don't want to deal with criticism, nothing else.

Don't get me wrong: I can completely understand getting fed with your users. Having to deal with dumb people who just friggin refuse to read readmes is one of the reasons why I don't bother with releasing mods anymore. But shutting yourself out from all criticism is not a good thing.

Hothtrooper44 posted:

Many "requests" are barked like commands.
I'm willing to bet that's often not an user treating your like a trained dog, but instead someone not realising how they come across via text. In my experience that's a pretty common problem where people come across as brusque, rude and demanding - without that being their intention, in their emails, posts and whatnot, because of how they worded their message.
That can be annoying, but it's hardly something that's worth getting worked up over when it's something as unimportant as a post in a comment thread for a mod.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 25, 2013

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Jblade posted:

Yeah it seems to me like it'll just encourage people to upload it to other places even more resulting in lots of older versions flying around, and having someone telling you they've encountered a bug you already fixed 3 versions ago is consistently infuriating.

That was the first problem to come to mind, yes. Which is why I'm a touch surprised by Arthmoor's support for this policy, since he pulled the unofficial patches off the Steam Workshop for pretty much that reason.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I have a method for dealing with jerks on the Nexus comments that's worked extremely well for me so far. I know it sounds crazy, but I try to be polite and respectful. No matter what they're saying or what they intended, responding with anger or insults only draws more of the same. Treating people politely and with respect defuses many potential conflicts, and it's like kryptonite to trolls. I'm not saying you need to be a doormat, but you can refuse requests politely instead of doing your best Arthmoor impression.

On that note, I think banning people from your page is just likely to escalate problems. I foresee a lot of "why u ban me?" posts on the forums, and lots of mudslinging in both directions on and off the Nexus (particularly on the workshop pages for mods also available on the Nexus). Modders who utilize this new feature will most likely just be harming themselves. It's like free handgun day. Surely nothing bad will happen, right?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Technogeek posted:

That was the first problem to come to mind, yes. Which is why I'm a touch surprised by Arthmoor's support for this policy, since he pulled the unofficial patches off the Steam Workshop for pretty much that reason.

Thats not why they were pulled.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
As an aside, Seorin and Hothtrooper, can I just say how much I love SPERG and Immersive Armor. :3: They are the turkey and potatoes of my Skyrim Thanksgiving.

If I had any suggestions for IA, it would be to be more aggressive with the leveled list placements - it seems like Armonizer and Omegared seem to crop up more often, even with a merged patch.

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 26, 2013

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Burns posted:

Thats not why they were pulled.

I'm fairly certain that it was. He couldn't update the Workshop versions to 2.0 because of the ESM false flag thing (plus the USKP proper had already exceeded the size limits), so he pulled them rather than get a bunch of bug reports for stuff that's long since been fixed.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So does anyone know a fix to the problem where Skyrim stops responding on the loading screen, but after a minute or three goes through? Because for the life of me I can't figure out how. It was working fine, I edited an enchantment in the CK and then bam, problem. Happens even with new games, and even with that specific esm disabled.

Happens even when I disable all mods actually, the heck?

E: Well reinstalling skyrim did it. Weird.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 26, 2013

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So, I have a pretty heavily modded install right now, the ONLY problem I am having is that some times when opening inventory or the magic screen, the game will crash, I also occasionally see some kind of weird artifacting int he scaleform icons. I am using the latest version of SkyUI.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Apparently the guy responsible for Falskaar got a job at Bungie.

Gonna look for his name on the credits for Destiny now.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Scyantific posted:

Apparently the guy responsible for Falskaar got a job at Bungie.

Gonna look for his name on the credits for Destiny now.

I really liked Falskaar. Decent main quest, I liked the sidequests, the terrain was pretty.

The only thing I didn't like was in one spot there were like 6-7 guys basically strongarming me and my allies (probably like 4-5 of us) and the friendly jarl just immediately gave in.

Dude I'm the Dragonborn stand back and let me Fus Do Rah these fucks into Oblivion.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Iron Rose posted:

So does anyone know a fix to the problem where Skyrim stops responding on the loading screen, but after a minute or three goes through? Because for the life of me I can't figure out how. It was working fine, I edited an enchantment in the CK and then bam, problem. Happens even with new games, and even with that specific esm disabled.

Happens even when I disable all mods actually, the heck?

E: Well reinstalling skyrim did it. Weird.

In case the issue crops up again, you might try Safety Load.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Technogeek posted:

I'm fairly certain that it was. He couldn't update the Workshop versions to 2.0 because of the ESM false flag thing (plus the USKP proper had already exceeded the size limits), so he pulled them rather than get a bunch of bug reports for stuff that's long since been fixed.

Well it seems its a limitation of the workshop rather than anything he can do about it.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Burns posted:

Well it seems its a limitation of the workshop rather than anything he can do about it.

That's why the Workshop version wouldn't have gotten the 2.0 update. I'm talking about why he chose to pull it entirely as opposed to just leaving the old one up there.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Is there a recommended mod to keep draedic artifacts at your level, since otherwise they'll just stay at whatever level it was at the time you picked it up from quests.
Or am I wrong on this?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Trickyrive posted:

Is there a recommended mod to keep draedic artifacts at your level, since otherwise they'll just stay at whatever level it was at the time you picked it up from quests.
Or am I wrong on this?
These are all the levelled items in the game:
Lunar weapons
Mage's Circlet
Gauldur Blackblade
Gauldur Blackbow
The Pale Blade
Nightingale Blade
Nightingale Bow
Amulet of Articulation
Chillrend
Nightingale Armour
Dragonbane
Shield of Sollitude
Miraak's Sword
Miraak's Staff (all 3 versions have the same stats save for value)
Miraak (the mask)
Miraak's Robe (all 3 versions are the same)

If Dawnbreaker or Volendrung appear to be weak, then that's just because they don't have really impressive stats compared to the items you can make yourself.

I'm not aware of a mod updates leveled items. But here's a plugin that will edit the lists for the above items so that when you get the item, yoú always get the best version.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 26, 2013

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Raygereio posted:

These are all the levelled items in the game:
Lunar weapons
Mage's Circlet
Gauldur Blackblade
Gauldur Blackbow
The Pale Blade
Nightingale Blade
Nightingale Bow
Amulet of Articulation
Chillrend
Nightingale Armour
Dragonbane
Shield of Sollitude
Miraak's Sword
Miraak's Staff (all 3 versions have the same stats save for value)
Miraak (the mask)
Miraak's Robe (all 3 versions are the same)

If Dawnbreaker or Volendrung appear to be weak, then that's just because they don't have really impressive stats compared to the items you can make yourself.

I'm not aware of a mod updates leveled items. But here's a plugin that will edit the lists for the above items so that when you get the item, yoú always get the best version.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16090/

Tada!

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

LumberingTroll posted:

So, I have a pretty heavily modded install right now, the ONLY problem I am having is that some times when opening inventory or the magic screen, the game will crash, I also occasionally see some kind of weird artifacting int he scaleform icons. I am using the latest version of SkyUI.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Cat Mattress posted:

In case the issue crops up again, you might try Safety Load.

schlangster posted:

Are you using the Safety Load mod?
The other day I saw a screenshot that looked like this, which apparently was caused by said mod: http://s7.postimg.org/ovv46nzor/Untitled.jpg
So Safety Load might not be the best thing. 1.2 adds an enable only on loading screen option which might help.

I don't know if this is common knowledge but I found a cool mod Forge Menu Overhaul that puts all item sets into their own fake submenus in the forge menu. It makes the crafting menu way less cluttered.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

LtSmash posted:

So Safety Load might not be the best thing. 1.2 adds an enable only on loading screen option which might help.

I don't know if this is common knowledge but I found a cool mod Forge Menu Overhaul that puts all item sets into their own fake submenus in the forge menu. It makes the crafting menu way less cluttered.

That is indeed the same issue I have been having.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

LtSmash posted:

Does Forge Menu Overhaul play nice with Immersive Armors?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Anyone have issues getting realistic needs water bottle refilling to work?

I can stand in rivers all day and nothing happens. The only other immersion mod I have installed is Frostfall. Everything else is standalone stuff like horse armor, texture packs, etc

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Tarq posted:

Does Forge Menu Overhaul play nice with Immersive Armors?

It should. Its a tes5edit script you run that will generate a patch for your whole load order.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Looking for a nice, long dungeon mod that I can preferably start playing at low levels so I can recreate some Ultima Underworld goodness.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

oswald ownenstein posted:

Anyone have issues getting realistic needs water bottle refilling to work?

I can stand in rivers all day and nothing happens. The only other immersion mod I have installed is Frostfall. Everything else is standalone stuff like horse armor, texture packs, etc

Are you using the bottle in the inventory menu? You need to click on the Empty Bottle item in your food menu for them to refill.

futile
May 18, 2009
Pretty sure you can set a hotkey in the MCM for that too.

On the same topic, Kuertee's Eat and Sleep had a big update including some UI stuff showing your needs. Has anyone tried it? What do you think of it especially as compared to RND? http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13246

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Scyantific posted:

Are you using the bottle in the inventory menu? You need to click on the Empty Bottle item in your food menu for them to refill.

That was it...thanks!

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Anyone have some opinions on the Resplendent Racials package? Does it seem well balanced? I know I found one overpowered combination while using the Aurora Doomstone package with it. Being Argonian and having the Atronach sign gives you virtually infinite magicka due to the Histborn magicka regeneration combined with the low cost of spells from the Atronach sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008
I've been wondering, is there a Skyrim equivalent of the "FengShui" mods from Fallout 3 and New Vegas? They allowed you to accurately place items for spergy decoration purposes and lock them into place, that'd be real helpful in Skyrim, it'd be nice to keep things from flying fifty feet away when Lydia inevitably decides to walk past your carefully arranged mound of cheese.

• Locked thread