Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Rirse posted:

I tried to do this and still got the annoying "you need to have the TV on" message.

Gutcruncher posted:

You dont need to point at the TV when booting straight into Wii mode, but for some reason the TV has to be on.

For the record, you can get around this by turning off HDMI in the Wii U settings. Otherwise yes, the Wii U has to be plugged in and turned on for TV + Gamepad to work. Probably the stupidest design decision of the Wii U but there's likely some sort of legacy firmware stuff preventing it from working by default without HDMI.

In short, it's possible to use the Wii in off-tv mode but it requires booting into Wii U mode, changing it in your video settings so it doesn't connect via HDMI, then restarting directly into Wii mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

keyvin posted:

Thanks! I picked up metroid trilogy because I had three billion gamestop points and got $30 off. Its kind of weird that locking on doesn't actually lock on unless I am missing something. Moving the wii mote to turn causes me to get off target. I also don't remember the opening escape sequence in prime being so disorienting.

Backwards compatibility is pretty sweet.

There's an option to lock your aim to whatever you're locked on to, and you should definitely play the first two games like this. Since the third game was designed with the ability to freely aim in mind, there are some enemies that need to be shot in areas that are separate from the place you lock on to.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 are both massively improved by the Wii remote controls, and so are Pikmin 1 and 2 as well as Resident Evil 4. Unfortunately, Metroid Prime 3 makes you use them in really obtrusive ways, such as using the horribly unresponsive nunchuck to pull shields off enemies, and the Wii remote to open locks and enter key codes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can pick up Nintendo Land for under 20 bucks these days if you don't mind buying used.

It's going for 20 bucks new at my local Fry's

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 are both massively improved by the Wii remote controls, and so are Pikmin 1 and 2 as well as Resident Evil 4. Unfortunately, Metroid Prime 3 makes you use them in really obtrusive ways, such as using the horribly unresponsive nunchuck to pull shields off enemies, and the Wii remote to open locks and enter key codes.

No idea what you're talking about. The motion controls in the game worked perfectly, if you were standing too close or too far from your TV or you were in a brightly lit room that fucks up the sensor bar that's your issue not the game's.

I can say the same for Skyward Sword and other games based heavily on motion controls. Red Steel 1 was probably the only major Wii game I played where the motion controls were simply awful regardless of setup.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Austrian mook posted:

Also, is Nintendo land worth buying if the bundle I get doesn't come with it?

Nintendo Land is an excellent multiplayer game and if you have friends or family to play it with I would suggest grabbing it.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

oneliquidninja posted:

Nintendo Land is an excellent multiplayer game and if you have friends or family to play it with I would suggest grabbing it.

Seconding this. Even if you don't have friends or family, some of the minigames are stupid fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The single player Pikmin and Zelda games alone make Nintendoland a good purchase. They're deep enough that they could've been expanded into full games on their own. I didn't care for the Metroid one as much.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The three competitive multiplayer games in Nintendoland (Mario Chase, Animal Crossing, and Luigi's Ghost Mansion) are amazing in group settings. It's well worth $20.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

keyvin posted:

Seconding this. Even if you don't have friends or family, some of the minigames are stupid fun.

While I've only really played Nintendoland with others, if you ever play video games with another human being you need to have Nintendoland. It's the game that really validates the Game Pad.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Luigis Ghost Mansion is perhaps one of the best multiplayer games Ive ever played. Its incredible

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Gutcruncher posted:

Luigis Ghost Mansion is perhaps one of the best multiplayer games Ive ever played. Its incredible

Seeing this at a friend's house was a major selling point for the Wii U to be honest.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Question about Nintendo Club: Are they going to offer any redemption prizes for Wii U stuff? I don't have a 3DS, and I'm not keen on the Wii stuff because while I'm aware I can access a Wii mode on my Wii U, I don't have a Wiimote to operate it and don't particularly care to get one.

I'm aware that coins expire, however, so if it's a matter of me buying something I don't want versus losing those coins, I'd rather buy Link to the Past on Wii and hope I find an excuse to get a Wiimote than let those coins expire.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Question about Nintendo Club: Are they going to offer any redemption prizes for Wii U stuff? I don't have a 3DS, and I'm not keen on the Wii stuff because while I'm aware I can access a Wii mode on my Wii U, I don't have a Wiimote to operate it and don't particularly care to get one.

I'm aware that coins expire, however, so if it's a matter of me buying something I don't want versus losing those coins, I'd rather buy Link to the Past on Wii and hope I find an excuse to get a Wiimote than let those coins expire.

Eventually, probably once Nintendo feels like they have enough stuff on the eshop that they can do it. It takes a while for coins to expire, like 3 years, check in your account page.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

elf help book posted:

It takes a while for coins to expire, like 3 years, check in your account page.

Oh! I thought that the coins expired every year. I've been registering stuff with Nintendo for years and I had always thought that coins had a very short shelf life. Granted, the last time I registered to get coins was way back in 2010, so I guess that explains why I didn't see any leftover coins when I recovered my account to register my new system.

Well if I've got 3 years to sit on them, then nevermind.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I shouldn't have played that demo of Wonderful 101 because now I need this game and I already have too much of a backlog as it is.

Also the demo of Sonic Lost Worlds seemed pretty good as long as you pretended it wasn't a Sonic game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

elf help book posted:

Eventually, probably once Nintendo feels like they have enough stuff on the eshop that they can do it. It takes a while for coins to expire, like 3 years, check in your account page.

I think it's only 2 years FYI. Considering I only have 2,000 coins in my account and just reached platinum again.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I wish Club Nintendo actually had stuff worth getting. I mean it's a free service so who am I to complain but man they just have a whole bunch of crap.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

axleblaze posted:

I wish Club Nintendo actually had stuff worth getting. I mean it's a free service so who am I to complain but man they just have a whole bunch of crap.

You say that, but you haven't seen the Australian Club Nintendo. We don't even get games or point cards. Platinum rewards are a myth as far as we're concerned.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I got a Year of Luigi coin through Club Nintendo so it's ok in my book

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

axleblaze posted:

I've been saving coins since the last couple times they released the gold nunchucks for 900 coins I was within like 50 coins each time.

They're never going to put them out again are they? :smith:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You say that, but you haven't seen the Australian Club Nintendo. We don't even get games or point cards. Platinum rewards are a myth as far as we're concerned.

Well we got the DS Game & Watch games. But that's.. been about it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well we got the DS Game & Watch games. But that's.. been about it.

To be fair, we also got the Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary posters.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
IS there a place online to see what it's in the eshop? Couldn't find a listing on Nintendo's site.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I'm gonna go visit my brother and I was thinking of bringing my Wii and Wii U saves with me, like on a USB stick, but I think I just read I can only back them up to later be put back on the SAME Wii U, no others.

If I bring my own Wii U, I can use all his cables and can we even pair his gamepad back and forth from one system to the other and back without issues?

VVVV Thank you!

Hydrocodone fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 25, 2013

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
I love Nintendoland so much. Pikmin and Game & Watch were the games I enjoyed the least. Donkey Kong alone is one of my favorite things I've ever played. I easily have logged 30 hours into it alone and I play it probably twice a month still.

Mario Chase and Animal Crossing are amazing as well.

I hope they make a sequel. :ohdear:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

IS there a place online to see what it's in the eshop? Couldn't find a listing on Nintendo's site.
If you go here you can change the search filters to show what's on the eShop

Hydrocodone posted:

I'm gonna go visit my brother and I was thinking of bringing my Wii and Wii U saves with me, like on a USB stick, but I think I just read I can only back them up to later be put back on the SAME Wii U, no others.

If I bring my own Wii U, I can use all his cables and can we even pair his gamepad back and forth from one system to the other and back without issues?
Switching the gamepad from one system to another is exactly the same process as syncing a new controller and doesn't cause any problems.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

GRINK HELCH posted:

I love Nintendoland so much. Pikmin and Game & Watch were the games I enjoyed the least. Donkey Kong alone is one of my favorite things I've ever played. I easily have logged 30 hours into it alone and I play it probably twice a month still.

Mario Chase and Animal Crossing are amazing as well.

I hope they make a sequel. :ohdear:

I say this all the time, but my gaming group and I would play ludicrous amounts of money for new DLC maps for the three competitive games in Nintendo Land. I'm talking like 5 bucks a map crazy.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

deadwing posted:

I say this all the time, but my gaming group and I would play ludicrous amounts of money for new DLC maps for the three competitive games in Nintendo Land. I'm talking like 5 bucks a map crazy.

Nintendo just doesn't 'get' DLC. It's a shame.

E: Actually, how was the Luigi U thing? Was NSMBU any good?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Luigi U is what all DLC should be. With COD you get a small handful of maps for 20 bucks. With Luigi, 20 bucks gets you a whole new game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Austrian mook posted:

Nintendo does DLC really well, actually. I can't think of a single instance of Nintendo DLC that isn't worth getting (maybe some of the FE stuff, they made a lot of DLC for that game).

Nintendo Land isn't getting any DLC because they consider it a flop.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I guess I should give Nintendoland another try. I have only played it in single player and absolutely hated the games I played.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
If they consider nintendoland a bust it's their own fault. I bought it used because they pulled it digitally.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Liquid Penguins posted:

If they consider nintendoland a bust it's their own fault. I bought it used because they pulled it digitally.

They consider it a bust because it wasn't a Wii Sports-esque hit that sold a hundred million copies like they wanted it to be, but it still sold millions of copies and got good reviews, I dunno why they're so hung up on that one game in particular.

They pulled it off the eShop once they dropped the RRP, presumably because they wanna clear out the physical copies. Game & Wario costs more than Nintendo Land nowadays, which is just messed up.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Game & Wario costs more than Nintendo Land nowadays, which is just messed up.

No, its thematically appropriate.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
I hope down the line they put it back up on the E-Shop for like $10-$20. I got my copy before I even got a Wii U because Gamestop was doing that insane $7 for a copy of Nintendo Land deal and now we get so much game play out of it I'd love to just have it digitally.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I just meant that we've barely seen any DLC from Nintendo at this point, although the idea intruiges me, especially with Smash.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So i don't have a wiiu yet, i should probably pick up nintendoland because I know i want it before it's 100% more expensive huh?

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
Nintendo's stance has always been that games should be shipped 'complete', in that they need no patches and no stupid zero-day dlc poo poo. Sorta good and sorta bad, but it's a pretty good model.

Yes there are games that NEED patching sometimes (the Skyward Sword bug comes to mind), but it also helps prevent against price-bleeding bullshit dlc. If Nintendo's idea of DLC means entirely new game-modes, brand-new content, etc, I have no problem with that. It's a welcome change.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Rack posted:

Nintendo's stance has always been that games should be shipped 'complete', in that they need no patches and no stupid zero-day dlc poo poo. Sorta good and sorta bad, but it's a pretty good model.

Yes there are games that NEED patching sometimes (the Skyward Sword bug comes to mind), but it also helps prevent against price-bleeding bullshit dlc.

Yeah, I just mean I always want more when I finish a Nintendo game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

On the other hand, there's Wii Sports Club, which is shipped incomplete, you buy each sport separately, and it's clear they still value Wii Sports at the same MSRP the original game was at launch, based on the prices. And the sports don't exactly have a wealth of content to them either.

I think Nintendo just hasn't caught up yet to modern pricing yet, not that they are philosophically against day one DLC or anything. They're doing their first free to play game in 2014. They may yet catch on to the price bleeding.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 25, 2013

• Locked thread