Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Restarting the app seems a bit buggy, and sometimes heals one of your team to full health. Sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Is there a particular logic behind which character moves to the front when you trigger Environmental powers, or does Juggernaut just loving love hotdogs and need to be first in line?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ratatozsk posted:

Is there a particular logic behind which character moves to the front when you trigger Environmental powers, or does Juggernaut just loving love hotdogs and need to be first in line?

The character in the center of your team during character select takes the environmental tiles. If you use classic storm, then you can put a low 1* there and activate her passive. Though some character do get more per tile and therefore always get the tile like grey widow.

Edit: for example in this picture, wolverine will always be the person up front for environmental tiles.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 25, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ghostlight posted:

I've done testing on and off but it seems like it just uses eldritch magic. Some people when boosted have more than 3 match score, so they win - but when everyone's on 3 it doesn't consistently go to whoever has the highest critical, and it doesn't consistently go to whoever has the highest or lowest level, or whoever's in a specific place on the team, or whoever the highest star is. About the only consistent thing I've seen is it always goes to a guest character if you have one.

For instance, I made a team out of level 1 Hawkeye (4.5x), 24 M.Magneto (3.2x) and 38 X-Force Wolverine (4x). Wolverine got the match, regardless of where he was positioned - if I swapped him out for a 25 Yelena (4x), Hawkeye got the match. If I substituted in a level 9 M.Hawkeye (4.5x), Wolverine kept the match. If I swapped in a level 14 Astonishing Wolverine (4x), Wolverine kept the match.
And that was followed by someone saying they saw Daken getting tiles over a guest Spider-Man.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

And that was followed by someone saying they saw Daken getting tiles over a guest Spider-Man.

Seriously? :psyduck:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
To clarify that a bit:

The first criteria is the base environment tile attack value. For example, my Spider-Man Classic has environment of 4 where Loki and Captain America have 3. Therefore, if I team up those three, Spider-Man will always get the environment tile position.

EXCEPT...

where one or more characters are buffed in a tournament. That will raise their environment attack value as well and likely give them the nod. For instance, lightning rounds with buffed villains will put Loki up front because suddenly he'll have a huge environment value.

So what if everyone's tied, as often happens with normal characters (3 - 3 - 3)? In that case, the character in the center gets the nod. Or should. I have yet to see anything too bizarre that violates the above.

I just tested out Hawkeye Modern (middle) - Magneto Grey - X-Force Wolverine, matched three environment tiles and Hawkeye got the lead.

delfin fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 25, 2013

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Restarting the app seems a bit buggy, and sometimes heals one of your team to full health. Sometimes.

What I have noticed, is that it only works for certain characters. I've been using Grey Widow, IM40, and Thor for the Avengers tourney. If I kill the app, Widow and IM go to full health 100% of the time (and if they're dead, they revive at full). Thor will always need a medkit or time.

On an unrelated note, gently caress 5 blue Spidey right in his pedipalp.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Russad posted:

What I have noticed, is that it only works for certain characters. I've been using Grey Widow, IM40, and Thor for the Avengers tourney. If I kill the app, Widow and IM go to full health 100% of the time (and if they're dead, they revive at full). Thor will always need a medkit or time.

On an unrelated note, gently caress 5 blue Spidey right in his pedipalp.

Is this iOS or just Android?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's been happening to me on iOS a fair bit. Thankfully the game's less unstable since the last major patch.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The worst part of the avenger tournament is I can't find anyone to fight. I'll take out level 115 spidey, IM40, Thor I don't care, but I want at least 25 points to do so.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Is counterattacking ever a loss? I can't think of a time since launch where I lost more than 15-20 to a defeat and the retaliation was worth less than 25. Usually swapping easy wins with someone I can beat taking minimal damage (anything with Wolverine or Daken) tends to yield a truckload of easy safe points for both players.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Counterattacking isnt worth it if it was some lowbie attacking you. If it was someone grinding their way to the top worth 30 points or so, then murder them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

delfin posted:

So what if everyone's tied, as often happens with normal characters (3 - 3 - 3)? In that case, the character in the center gets the nod. Or should. I have yet to see anything too bizarre that violates the above.

I just tested out Hawkeye Modern (middle) - Magneto Grey - X-Force Wolverine, matched three environment tiles and Hawkeye got the lead.
I tested that exact group and M.Hawkeye got the lead, which was counter to previous tests including him - which admittedly were many patches ago - and Wolverine took it when I swapped him into the center; however, I swapped out Magneto Now and put Storm Modern in the center and she did not take the environment tiles: they went to Wolverine who was on the left.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Oh Marvel Puzzle Quest. I go for dinner, spend maybe 45 minutes out of the house, come home to -199 points dropping me to 435 points in the Avengers tournament.

Fortunately #2 in my bracket is 698 so I still have a shot, but ugh.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shwqa posted:

Seriously? :psyduck:

Yes, that was me that saw the Daken getting them over a guest Spider-man. I don't know why that happened, though!

e: It might have been a bug since it only happened once even though I repeated that fight. I've seen a couple weird ones, like the other day I had enough red AP to use Mjolnir's Might but it wouldn't let me use it until I got 12 red AP, then I could suddenly use it twice.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 25, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont mind me, just waiting til the last 20 minutes, filling up my pvp slots with high ranking guys in the meantime so I can murder them all in the last few minutes.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Don't mind me, just sitting at 500, hoping I'm not a tempting target for the last small push to stay in the 51-100 bracket.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

MeramJert posted:

e: It might have been a bug since it only happened once even though I repeated that fight. I've seen a couple weird ones, like the other day I had enough red AP to use Mjolnir's Might but it wouldn't let me use it until I got 12 red AP, then I could suddenly use it twice.
Was it after an IM40 Recharge? I've noticed several times when it adds its AP the UI doesn't update the abilities properly.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ghostlight posted:

Was it after an IM40 Recharge? I've noticed several times when it adds its AP the UI doesn't update the abilities properly.

I don't remember. It might have been.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well, the new tournament looks interesting. So what's the deal with the delayed brackets trick again? Can you look at the tournament, or resist tapping it until you want to start?

And I'm guessing top 10 or top 15 for my Avengers. 1* tourney I forget where I was.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Wait a minute, I was ranked like, 60 with 5 minutes to go. Could I really have gotten gang raped so much in the span of 5 minutes that I drop more than 40 places? Wow.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Well, the new tournament looks interesting. So what's the deal with the delayed brackets trick again? Can you look at the tournament, or resist tapping it until you want to start?

And I'm guessing top 10 or top 15 for my Avengers. 1* tourney I forget where I was.

Don't win or lose a match. Brackets team people based on when you join. Whales join brackets ASAP. Let the whales fight it out while your in the slacker bracket.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You can look - if you try to see the scores it tells you there's "no scores for this leaderboard" because it hasn't put you in one yet.

And yes - you drop places quickly in the last twenty minutes, especially if your bracket is closely packed. I've gone from top 15 to top 200 in ten minutes before.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Holy poo poo, I got a top two finisher for the Avengers! :woop:

edit: Welp, here's the first IM40 cover I'm selling. :toot:

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Philosopher King posted:

Wait a minute, I was ranked like, 60 with 5 minutes to go. Could I really have gotten gang raped so much in the span of 5 minutes that I drop more than 40 places? Wow.

Quite likely, it gets pretty brutal.
I know I got hit quite hard in the last minute. Was hoping for one more win and some insane luck to hit 900 points, didn't really expect to though.
Just waiting on the results now. Suddenly those IM40 prizes are looking pretty important since he's at 150%.

Fake edit: Top 2! Personal best result. All of the Iron Mans. Quite happy now :)

SynthOrange posted:

Going to have to second that :woop:

Kravdraa fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 25, 2013

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Yay top 50 finisher for Avengers, I realised with 10 minutes to go that "Oh gently caress, I need to be 26-50, not 51-100" squeaked in just in time though.

totally forgot the waiting for the new tourney though and regret it already :(

I was like ooh a team with a level 1, 2 and 3 free 140 ISO...

e: rank 931 of 1000 with 25 points D:

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
I stopped fighting with less than a minute on the avenger arena at 26 points. I figured the Hawkeye modern is better than one im40. I go back in to see I placed in the top 25 finisher. Welp! Guess someone above me got destroyed.

Oh well, blue was the color my now 2/1/2 im m40 needed.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

SynthOrange posted:

:hf: Me too, on both counts. First top 2 finish I've ever managed to get in a tournament.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Let me third that. :toot:

Edit f;b fourth then.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

You can check the rewards or whatnot, just don't play a match. Wait till 5-6 hours left in the tournament to join, go on a tear shredding bad teams for 40 points apiece, win your bracket with like 400 points.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

APPARENTLY I'm on the whale bracket for heroic venom, because I still earn 300 points per mission clear which is crazy as hell. At least I have the original widow now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No one wins in an all goon bracket.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

How are people building IM40 anyway?
Mine was at 4/0/1 as I just added covers without much thought, so I guess I'm committed to Unibeam now.

As far as Recharge goes I don't see too much appeal in restoring purple and black (ranks 4 and 5) at an increased AP cost, but I can see the appeal in blue and green. Depends on your team, of course.

So maybe 5/5/3? Or am I just wrong?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm going 4/5/4 for IM40. I like pairing him up with Wolverine and Grey Widow, so purples are really handy.

Ew, the rewards are X-Force Wolverine and Loki and Loki for the top 3 spots. After that it's Original Widow, which I might aim for.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kravdraa posted:

How are people building IM40 anyway?
Mine was at 4/0/1 as I just added covers without much thought, so I guess I'm committed to Unibeam now.

As far as Recharge goes I don't see too much appeal in restoring purple and black (ranks 4 and 5) at an increased AP cost, but I can see the appeal in blue and green. Depends on your team, of course.

So maybe 5/5/3? Or am I just wrong?

5/5/3 is ideal, but I'm going 5/4/4, because I had the spare yellow. gently caress it I'm using him as slow tank, so levels matter most and the blue stun is near useless.

Edit: I'm gonna pour the heroic iso rewards into IM40 and let him tear up the place. 150% stats at level 43 are already insane.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 25, 2013

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

Also got top two in my bracket. Goon supremacy!

The wording on the new tournament is weird. "Face 1000 opponents and you could win Wolverine X-Force": at first I thought they were adding a fight counter to encourage people to join brackets early, but I'm sure it's just an awkward way to say its bracketed into groups of 1000.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Nevermind, I guess it just takes awhile for payout to happen? I got payout for the 1 star tourney and thought I got gypped in the Avengers tourney.

Hey cool I picked up moonstone with my new recruit.

Now to never use her since I only have 1 ability.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I think 5/5/3 is objectively The Best Way unless you have another character that uses Purple/Black that you want to use him as support for. I could see Recharge/Aggressive Recon combo being a pain in the rear end, but it's a heavy outlay to get there - the 2 AP difference between level 1 and level 2 Recharge is really significant when most of the time you're just spending it on powering Mjolnir's Might's.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Hey I won a thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchwarzKreuz
Jun 25, 2003
Thanks for the all tournament tips guys. I managed to get top 10 in the avengers following your advice and what I'm guessing is some luck.