Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Trilin posted:

God have mercy, James.

Really that's nothing, I've seen 700% a few times, with a child king granted but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Trilin posted:

God have mercy, James.

Pfffftttt, try getting to %1000 and then get back to me :smug: Oh the joys of having a large court.

Seriously, I don't think %200 has ever been large enough to make a difference to me.

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007
For some reason my Stamford Bridge starts as various HRE counts has started with all of Catholicism as a Catholic heresy, and for some reason a crusade for Rome against the HRE starts almost immediately. Thing is Rome is always still under Papal control and even the pope is a "Catholic heretic."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I've had a 3000% plot power before.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Shadeoses posted:

Being the vassal of Sweden seems to be a huge limiter, so I'll try Norrland next, maybe. At least I'll be allowed to raid. I'll probably miss the protection from being holy warred :saddowns:

As far as I can tell, the AI never holy wars for territory where you get pagan defensive attrition. So Norse lands should be safe, but they'll try to retake Catholic stuff.

This probably changes when they get the tech to remove attrition, but since the AI doesn't prioritize it that shouldn't happen until the 1200s.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I've had a 3000% plot power before.

When the body shows up with hundreds of knife wounds everyone in the kingdom just looks away uneasily and whistles...

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

When the body shows up with hundreds of knife wounds everyone in the kingdom just looks away uneasily and whistles...

I've had a plot that ended up with 5000 power. The first assassination attempt was already planned before everyone was even invited.

It also didn't work. Neither did the next 25 attempts. Then the target caught pneumonia and died.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
After playing more I like it for two reasons:

1) Beating up people in wars actually means something because their manpower will stay low for a while (ie: like EU4)

2) It's kind of more realistic that a duke who doesn't love you wouldn't go "oh, you're invading our neighbors? Sure take ALL my troops and get them killed, have fun now!"

So instead of having to go "Well, if I invade X there's a possibility neighbor Y might start poo poo" you have to think "if I invade X, there's neighbor Y and also mega duke Z to worry about."

edit: Also first time I've played an Ireland start. It's really great because it naturally has that Football Manager style progression with clear goals one after the other that increase slightly in challenge. Count -> Duke -> King of Ireland -> King of Scotland -> Rule Britania

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Except dukes that love me at 100 still don't give me poo poo for troops.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Is there any way other than an antipope that I can bring the catholic church's moral authority down more?

I want heresies. :(

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Mattybee posted:

Is there any way other than an antipope that I can bring the catholic church's moral authority down more?

I want heresies. :(
Lose holy wars.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Except dukes that love me at 100 still don't give me poo poo for troops.
It needs a different play style now. What you do is forget about getting levies and instead raise taxes to pay for much stronger mercs

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And when ever you get stacks of heretics you call in the Holy Orders

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Man, games starting from the Old Gods start can get downright wacky. The Abbasids rule Greece and Western Anatolia in addition to their Iraqi and Arabian holdings, triggering a Crusade in the early 900s; an Arab Catholic rules Mecca somehow; and I have no idea how either of those happened but even more confusing is this:

Also, Druze has replaced Shi'ite as an orthodox religion since the original Shi'ite uprising got squashed. And this is only less than a hundred years after the game start, god only knows what things are going to look like by the end.

On the plus side, I've finally got a Zoroastrian game off the ground! :toot:

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The vassal levy nerf pretty much only effects the AI, doesn't it? Because I still find it incredibly easy to blob like crazy in ways I couldn't even do before this new patch.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Accordion Man posted:

Lose holy wars.

But I don't like losing wars!

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

The Mattybee posted:

You don't have to lose territory when you lose a holy war.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Mattybee posted:

Declare holy war, then immediately surrender.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What are the good mods nowadays? SWMH, Project Balance? I like Flatmap, is that compatible with those?

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

What are the good mods nowadays? SWMH, Project Balance? I like Flatmap, is that compatible with those?

Could I get a link to that Flatmap? I'm fond of Lux Invicta for the sheer number of religions but the gameplay itself can really suffer.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
What are the big changes in the new patch? What does: "bottleneck logic for defensive battles" mean? Aside from the awesome Cathar bonus, what other heresies have great bonuses?

tborell
Oct 23, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

I personally enjoy VIET quite a bit http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?652025-MOD-Vanilla-Immersion-Events-and-Traits-A-Modular-Flavor-and-Tweak-Mod

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Ancient Religions Reborn is one I'm playing around with right now, it also gives options for Project Balance, SWMH and VIET. I'm using it for the celtic paganism and it's pretty neat.

Note, I'm not linking the Paradox forum post because it doesn't work and isn't updated.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
What's the best way to remove a landed mercenary band?

Early in my current game, the Irish Band somehow came into owning a large chunk of southern Iberia. I wasn't paying attention to how that happened, maybe the Sultan didn't pay up? They've since slowly managed to take almost everything south of the Iberian Christian kingdoms de jure territory. Every new county they take gets a new count.

I've tried stabbing them into instability, but that doesn't work. Each new leader, even if the plot score is high, has no problem holding his numerous counts together. It looks like my two options are:

1) Fabricate claims and slowly grind them down.
2) Wait for a strong Muslim ruler in Africa to Holy War them away.

The first one would take forever and the second is chancey at best. As a Basque count turned King of Navarra, they actually provided a nice early game buffer. But now that they seem to be unstoppable or at least unstabbable, I want to destroy them.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Grind them down. They are like a theocracy. Maybe see if you can get a duchy claim from the pope.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tom Smykowski posted:

What's the best way to remove a landed mercenary band?

Early in my current game, the Irish Band somehow came into owning a large chunk of southern Iberia. I wasn't paying attention to how that happened, maybe the Sultan didn't pay up? They've since slowly managed to take almost everything south of the Iberian Christian kingdoms de jure territory. Every new county they take gets a new count.

I've tried stabbing them into instability, but that doesn't work. Each new leader, even if the plot score is high, has no problem holding his numerous counts together. It looks like my two options are:

1) Fabricate claims and slowly grind them down.
2) Wait for a strong Muslim ruler in Africa to Holy War them away.

The first one would take forever and the second is chancey at best. As a Basque count turned King of Navarra, they actually provided a nice early game buffer. But now that they seem to be unstoppable or at least unstabbable, I want to destroy them.

Just wait until they start hopping around their barony holdings and usurping counts forever. I had this happen in the Byz game I'm running for the chieve and taking over Sicily was a nightmare because of it.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Cease to Hope posted:

Grind them down. They are like a theocracy. Maybe see if you can get a duchy claim from the pope.
Duchy claim from the Pope? How do you do that? Is it a new SoA thing?

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Just wait until they start hopping around their barony holdings and usurping counts forever. I had this happen in the Byz game I'm running for the chieve and taking over Sicily was a nightmare because of it.
They've been nice and stable for like 100 years. I've stabbed at least 10 of their leaders and they've stayed with in the same county, slowly expanding and giving each new county to some random Irish guy. They're starting to stagnate now, though. Maybe lack of expansion will start causing some problems.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tom Smykowski posted:

Yeah. I honestly don't know how it works, not having played a Catholic in SOA yet.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tom Smykowski posted:

Yeah. Go to the title page for the duchy or county you want, and the second button over will be the 'Claim' button. If you're Catholic, you can pay piety and relations with the Pope in order to get a non-heritable strong claim on the title in question.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
So I've been playing my current game for awhile, trying to restore the Roman Empire. The Abbasid Empire in the meantime is becoming a growing concern to the east. Then, suddenly, I go to Holy War for Jerusalem, and notice that the Abbasid Empire is now the Arabian Empire. Converted to Orthodox. Within a few short years, it was nearly destroyed by Holy Wars from the Seljuks. drat.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Does the EUIV converter still just convert a heretic religion to its parent religion, ie Cathar to Catholic, or did SoA change that?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dauntasa posted:

I've had a plot that ended up with 5000 power. The first assassination attempt was already planned before everyone was even invited.

It also didn't work. Neither did the next 25 attempts. Then the target caught pneumonia and died.

I recall some bug, I think it was due to a mod that didn't get updated properly back around the time The Republic came out, where everyone was giving at least several hundred plot power. My own pretty talented Duke or King or whatever started out with about 4500% all by himself. I think the highest I ever got was about 24000% plot power - and like you it consistently failed to produce results. On the other hand it would take exactly one day before the next attempt began so after about two dozen attempts to kill someone it finally worked.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
So I finally got around to playing as a merchant republic. I started as the Visconti family in the Pisa Republic sometime in the 1080s. I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of this version of the game--I upgraded my mansion, I have a respectable retinue, and I've built a bunch of trade posts and seized a couple from those Genovese bastards, and I've managed to keep the Serene Doge position through stabbing, bribing, and fortunate biology (I had my Serene Doges live well into their 80s, while my greatest competitors died of natural causes in their 60s).

Around the 1130s I fabricated a claim on Genoa (who only had one province) and I annexed them and eventually usurped the Genoa republic. This added all of Genoa's families to Pisa, which in turn tries to cram ten families into the traditional five family screen, making it really hard to read, as well as making it much harder to maintain control since now I have to worry about nine other families rather than four. Is there any way to get rid of these extra families? Should I not have tried to directly fabricate a claim and invade Genoa in the first place?

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Grind them into nonexistence with endless assassinations :black101:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Blarghalt posted:

Does the EUIV converter still just convert a heretic religion to its parent religion, ie Cathar to Catholic, or did SoA change that?

I believe the converter will convert them if they become formal religions.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Flython posted:

Could I get a link to that Flatmap? I'm fond of Lux Invicta for the sheer number of religions but the gameplay itself can really suffer.

Of course! Makes it run so much faster. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?608487-MOD-Performance-mods

How is Lux Invicta? Polished?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The whole "Force people to become monks" thing doesn't really work. It's not like the "Off to the monestary!" option in certain events where they go to a different court. They just get the Monk attribute, are removed from inheritance (Although I'm not sure if they get removed ENTIRELY) and still sit around being assholes and demanding titles.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ok. I decided to enable Sunset Invasion in my Roman Empire game since I'm never going to make an empire big enough to fight them off ever again. Now I've never fought them before or even activated the DLC since buying it so I do';t really know what they do aside from what I've seen in AARs and LPs, but suffice to say, I defeated them before they even became landed and there was no Achievement no nothing. They just disappeared and I didn't even get flavour to say I'd won. Is this because I activated the DLC after starting the game, or because I beat them before they could become landed? Or could it be because when I actually defeated them, I was joining Ireland's defense against them as a secondary participant?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

Of course! Makes it run so much faster. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?608487-MOD-Performance-mods

How is Lux Invicta? Polished?

Rather buggy? I reverted to 1.11 to check it out and every two weeks ingame my home province would change religion to some nordic variant to a mixed pagan and norse variant. It was supremely annoying and kept giving the province a levy debuff which was doubly annoying.

I do like the flavour events though and the character traits are quite interesting. But I stopped playing when I noticed that I couldn't change my crown authority because the disposition of the military and clergy were required to be at loyal, but they had gone past that into devoted and that didn't count for some reason. (Faction dispositions are a kind of long/short reign modifier).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Ok. I decided to enable Sunset Invasion in my Roman Empire game since I'm never going to make an empire big enough to fight them off ever again. Now I've never fought them before or even activated the DLC since buying it so I do';t really know what they do aside from what I've seen in AARs and LPs, but suffice to say, I defeated them before they even became landed and there was no Achievement no nothing. They just disappeared and I didn't even get flavour to say I'd won. Is this because I activated the DLC after starting the game, or because I beat them before they could become landed? Or could it be because when I actually defeated them, I was joining Ireland's defense against them as a secondary participant?

Was this an Ironman game? If not, you won't get achievements.

If so, I don't know if loving with which DLCs you have in the middle of game will affect achievements.

• Locked thread