Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Years ago, somebody from this thread photoshopped the D in where the E would be in First Contact, and I don't want anyone to ever find that picture again and post it or I will be saddened by what might have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The E looks really cool in movies. It's like, the D was all rounded and smooth, just like the largely vanilla, harmless Starfleet we see there. But the E is angular and aggressive, just like Dune Buggies and Plasma Floods and Forcibly Relocating Native Populations.

The D would not have worked in the later films, nor would the E work on the show.

I think that's a lot of why people hate the E, is that it's so strongly associated with the terrible movies it was in. It would have been nice to see at least one in DS9 during the dominion war, or something, since it would go well with the themes of the Dominion War and would have saved it from being so strongly associated with Action Movie Trek, but I imagine that at the time, they wanted it to be exclusively associated with the movies.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Kazy posted:

I don't see how anyone can like the E. Others, maybe, but Galaxy Class all the way. :colbert: (Except as a pizza cutter)

I like the E. She's long and lean.

Not to say that there were some poor design choices, ribs on the underside of the saucer and weirdness on the top, but overall she's a nice looking ship.

I mean, look at that.

Plus, she's the best Federation ship in STO.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

kelvron posted:

I wish I could have kept my Galaxy-class :negative:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Farecoal posted:

I wish I could have kept my Galaxy-class :negative:

You can reclaim it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kelvron posted:

The Excelsior would like a word with you. :colbert:

(Although technically I think the Avenger is really the winner right now but gently caress that)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

I like to imagine the design concerns of Starfleet would be similar to the design concerns of the people who made the new Winterover station at the South Pole.

Incidentally, it's quite comfortable with big slabs of bright primary colour along the walls everywhere to keep people visually stimulated. It's very TOSlike.
Yeah, like, this is somewhere where people are going to be for years, possibly not even anywhere near a habitable planet - not even a starbase, potentially. The holodeck probably takes some edge off of course, but for the ships that are likely to just be charting gaseous anomalies for three years, you want the place to look pretty happy. To say nothing of the question of having families on board (bad an idea as that might have been).

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

MikeJF posted:

The Excelsior would like a word with you. :colbert:

(Although technically I think the Avenger is really the winner right now but gently caress that)

You're right, I forgot about the noble Fartcelsior. But the Fleet Sovereign is neck and neck with it. As is the faux-Vengence Avenger.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kelvron posted:

You're right, I forgot about the noble Fartcelsior. But the Fleet Sovereign is neck and neck with it.

The Excelsior pulls ahead with sheer class.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MikeJF posted:

The Excelsior pulls ahead with sheer class.

You have a funny way of spelling suck. Never cared for the Excelsior class.

Miranda all the way!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Trickjaw posted:

You can reclaim it.

Reclaim it?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oberth or bust.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oberth or bust.

Enjoy your deathtrap!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Tighclops posted:

Years ago, somebody from this thread photoshopped the D in where the E would be in First Contact, and I don't want anyone to ever find that picture again and post it or I will be saddened by what might have been.

I'm bits really

hailthefish posted:

I think that's a lot of why people hate the E, is that it's so strongly associated with the terrible movies it was in. It would have been nice to see at least one in DS9 during the dominion war, or something, since it would go well with the themes of the Dominion War and would have saved it from being so strongly associated with Action Movie Trek, but I imagine that at the time, they wanted it to be exclusively associated with the movies.

It reminds me too much of Voyager from the underside, plus it has those random black accents all over the saucer (they might have nixed those in Insurrection)

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Mister Kingdom posted:

Enjoy your deathtrap!

Says the person shilling for the Miranda, the only class that has long loving camera shots of it's slow and complete destruction at the hands of the Dominion in several different episodes. I think far more Mirandas have been lost in the course of Trek then Oberths.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Best ship:

Nothing better than using an old nuclear missile with a jury-rigged titanium cockpit and a broken second intake valve for the first FTL trip, while rocking out to a 1960s :lsd: song :humanity:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 25, 2013

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

kelvron posted:

I like the E. She's long and lean.

God, I love that dip at the bottom, right before it tapers up to the nacelles.

Also I just noticed the saucer is essentially the D's turned sideways.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Trickjaw posted:

Wrong movie.

poo poo, pardon me. I was a bit sleep deprived last night. The Final Frontier, obviously. *slaps forehead*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Alchenar posted:

I think there's something in the point that when you are in a machine that travels by tearing apart the fabric of reality and putting it back together behind you that our current conceptions of utilitarian design might not be important anymore.

The JJ Enterprise is definitely designed to avoid the claustrophobic feel that old Trek had. I think the thing I like most is that central atrium-like area where all the decks are open to each other because it's the kind of thing that I imagine a future space-engineer designing to stop people getting cabin fever.

I don't think I've heard people describe old Trek as claustrophobic before. I mean, you want cramped, there's the Nostromo, or the Millennium Falcon... or a real-life submarine. Star Trek ships are wide open in comparison.

I remember people critiquing the TV show Enterprise corridors as being unrealistically big because it's a waste of space/energy. The real reason, of course, was that big corridors make it easy to roll camera dollys around.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

I don't think it was someone from this thread.

That said, I've done you a solid and spoiler tagged the image:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Scale on that one looks wrong. By that standard, the Defiant would almost fit in the -D's shuttlebay! I know the Defiant is a small ship, but she ain't that small!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jng2058 posted:

Scale on that one looks wrong. By that standard, the Defiant would almost fit in the -D's shuttlebay! I know the Defiant is a small ship, but she ain't that small!

The scale was just as wrong in the movie proper. They wanted to make the E look impressive so the Defiant was tiny.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3c9wtbQTZ4

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tony Montana posted:

How much do you read your microwave?

Every time I use it? Do you just slap the buttons and hope for the best?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Reclaim it?

If you bought your Galaxy Retrofit with actual money in the Z-Store, you can just go into the store on your character, get to the ship menu, claim it, and you'll be able to fly it again.

However, if you ground emblems for it back before they got rid of emblems...well, hell, it's not like you were going to use that $25 for anything useful, right?

(Also, fleet DSSV with Oracle-class hull is the best-worst ship.)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Marshal Radisic posted:

If you bought your Galaxy Retrofit with actual money in the Z-Store, you can just go into the store on your character, get to the ship menu, claim it, and you'll be able to fly it again.

Oh, I meant that I wish I could have kept using my tier-4 free Galaxy-class, (by upgrading the stats to to tier-5 or something) instead of being forced to upgrade to the tier-5 Sovereign class.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I liked my dustbuster/lawnmower in STO.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Commissar Ken posted:

This must be a nerd thing because I do that poo poo too. Well not the Riker lines. Although in certain fitting situations when someone will go 'gimmie a minute' i'll respond with "I give ... TWO MINUTES for you and your gallant crew."

poo poo, I didn't even think of that one. I'll have to keep it in mind.

Finding the right context for those Riker lines would be a challenge though, yeah. Can't imagine I'll find myself in too many conversations about fake muskets or whatever in my lifetime, but should it happen, by god I'll have the perfect response for it!

Tighclops posted:

I still kinda wish they saved the D's destruction for First Contact, and rolled in the Sovereign at the end of that movie with an Enterprise-A sort of reveal. Maybe adding a "one year later" hook or something to explain the construction time. Only downside then would be having Insurrection and Nemesis as the only two movies to show off the new ship... but hey, good excuse to make better movies!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jng2058 posted:

As I recall the Defiant's scale got hosed up repeatedly. (When will Trek stop ripping off Babylon 5?? :v: )

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

As I recall the Defiant's scale got hosed up repeatedly. (When will Trek stop ripping off Babylon 5?? :v: )

She isn't a tough LITTLE ship, she's as big as she (or the vfx people) need her to be,

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Delsaber posted:

poo poo, I didn't even think of that one. I'll have to keep it in mind.

Finding the right context for those Riker lines would be a challenge though, yeah. Can't imagine I'll find myself in too many conversations about fake muskets or whatever in my lifetime, but should it happen, by god I'll have the perfect response for it!

I still kinda wish they saved the D's destruction for First Contact, and rolled in the Sovereign at the end of that movie with an Enterprise-A sort of reveal. Maybe adding a "one year later" hook or something to explain the construction time. Only downside then would be having Insurrection and Nemesis as the only two movies to show off the new ship... but hey, good excuse to make better movies!

Actually I think you're on to something. If Generations had simply never happened, and First Contact had happened on the Enterprise D... that would've been a good thing. And then if they just stopped making movies there.

All of this sounds good.

The Whole Internet fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 25, 2013

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I missed a lot of starship talk but I can't let it go when people say nice things about the Galaxy class cuz that ship looks like rear end with its dumb flared cobra hood saucer, cats rear end in a top hat deflector dish, giant red blob impulse engine and stubby warp nacelles.

It looks like the dumpy version of the Connie, which isn't that great until they made the Refit.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Defiant is the only good Federation ship. That angry turtle pew-pew'd its way right into my heart.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Bad Moon posted:

I missed a lot of starship talk but I can't let it go when people say nice things about the Galaxy class cuz that ship looks like rear end with its dumb flared cobra hood saucer, cats rear end in a top hat deflector dish, giant red blob impulse engine and stubby warp nacelles.

It looks like the dumpy version of the Connie, which isn't that great until they made the Refit.

Here's a Youtube channel with a shitton of TNG music: http://www.youtube.com/user/doublestar87/videos

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 25, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!
Man I love this thread, especially when 1st AD gets called an rear end in a top hat when Tighclops is the guys who can't stand people having different opinions about his precious StarTrax. "I don't like new shiny things! :qq:"

The D owns, only Connie worth a drat is the refit, E sucks, and JJPrise is ugly on the outside and cute on the inside.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Farecoal posted:

Oh, I meant that I wish I could have kept using my tier-4 free Galaxy-class, (by upgrading the stats to to tier-5 or something) instead of being forced to upgrade to the tier-5 Sovereign class.

They added endgame-tier versions of most ships, including the fleet variant of the galaxy, complete with saucer separation. They're purchased from the fleet starbase using an item that normally costs $5 each, but goons get them for free.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

MikeJF posted:

The scale was just as wrong in the movie proper. They wanted to make the E look impressive so the Defiant was tiny.

loving up starship scales is a time-honored Star Trek tradition starting with Shatner's 100 deck Connie and continuing with the JJprise's gigantic hangar bay shot and regular Connie scale in every other shot.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Preechr posted:

They added endgame-tier versions of most ships, including the fleet variant of the galaxy, complete with saucer separation. They're purchased from the fleet starbase using an item that normally costs $5 each, but goons get them for free.

Fair warning, the only Enterprise-ish ship worth using in the endgame is the fleet Excelsior, which is the Enterprise-C. It's fairly pretty though, especially once you stick on all the Borg/Romulan bits and bobs and turn it into a misshapen monster. :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

razorrozar posted:

Fair warning, the only Enterprise-ish ship worth using in the endgame is the fleet Excelsior, which is the Enterprise-C. It's fairly pretty though, especially once you stick on all the Borg/Romulan bits and bobs and turn it into a misshapen monster. :v:

Enterprise B, not C. The C is Ambassador class, which in-game is terrible. And the Fleet Sovereign Class is just as worth using as the Excelsior.

Unfortunately, the Galaxy Class sucks balls, because the gamemakers don't really know how to balance their own game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Tony Montana posted:

This is a big reason I haven't watched DS9, I just couldn't stand that Ferengi bullshit from what I saw and it gave me an 'ew, I'm watching NerdTrek' feeling.

Honestly the Ferengi stuff winds up being a lot better in context since it helps carry on the character development of the supporting Ferengi supporting cast. Some of them are still stinkers though but keep an eye on Nog if you go though DS9, he undergoes a hell of a lot of character growth over the series and by the end I was actually quite fond of him despite despising him in season 1.

• Locked thread