Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
I know. That's one of those 'good problems to have' sorta things though.

In regards to Smash, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually offered more characters as dlc later (though realistically, I don't think it'll happen), but I would hope it's more of a pack. Maybe something like $10 for 3 new characters as opposed to $5 for 1 character with a copied move-set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think Sakurai said there would be no DLC at launch for Smash Bros but left the door open for DLC beyond launch. It's probably something they'll consider after the game is done.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rack posted:

Yes there are games that NEED patching sometimes (the Skyward Sword bug comes to mind), but it also helps prevent against price-bleeding bullshit dlc. If Nintendo's idea of DLC means entirely new game-modes, brand-new content, etc, I have no problem with that. It's a welcome change.

You also had Other M which had a game-ending bug, and the only way to fix it was to send in your SD card to Nintendo...

Rack posted:

In regards to Smash, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually offered more characters as dlc later (though realistically, I don't think it'll happen), but I would hope it's more of a pack. Maybe something like $10 for 3 new characters as opposed to $5 for 1 character with a copied move-set.

I would happily pay 5 dollars for a character if it meant we finally got characters like Ridley or Little Mac - characters who are long overdue and deserve a spot in the roster far more than Ice Climbers or Jigglypuff ever did.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
As someone who runs fighting game tournaments, please, please no more 5 dollar DLC characters.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

signalnoise posted:

As someone who runs fighting game tournaments, please, please no more 5 dollar DLC characters.

I guess Killer Instinct is going to be a pain in the rear end, huh?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I guess Killer Instinct is going to be a pain in the rear end, huh?
Yeah we're pretty much never ever running it and I don't expect it to build up much of a tournament following specifically because of the DLC model.

As far as Smash is concerned the group I work with has been running Smash since Gamecube and I don't see it stopping any time soon

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 25, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

signalnoise posted:

Yeah we're pretty much never ever running it and I don't expect it to build up much of a tournament following specifically because of the DLC model.

The DLC issue is bigger than the Xbone issue?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

signalnoise posted:

How about stuff like the Capcom updates/tweaks+roster expansions?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
New Luigi Bros U is an absolute clusterfuck with more than one person and someone manning the boost mode on the Wii U pad, but it's fantastic.

Is there really no way to use the pad as a regular player rather than the boost mode?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The DLC issue is bigger than the Xbone issue?

Xbones can be returned to stock, DLC cannot. Depending on the deals you can make, you might secure a large number of consoles without too much trouble

japtor posted:

How about stuff like the Capcom updates/tweaks+roster expansions?

Usually out of several systems I have a couple that have everything, but they all have to have the latest patches. But that's just planning and bandwidth. Characters are 5 bucks per character per console. I'm not in any kind of league where people fly out to be there. A couple years ago we had a Mortal Kombat tournament without the latest patches and people were just like "you know this game is broken, right?"

I'm not saying Smash is a perfect game or anything, but at least no one ever complained that it didn't have last week's patch.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Rack posted:

I'd be cool with $5 for a character and a stage.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wait, so tourneys actually go out and buy DLC instead of only accepting vanilla characters? I had sort of thought it was the opposite, how weird.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Crawfish posted:

If the character is Simon Belmont or something, if it's just Fox again, I'll pass.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

If the character is Simon Belmont or something, if it's just Fox again, I'll pass.
To be fair, i'm talking $5 Australian.

Which is like $2-2.50 everywhere else. Except New Zealand where it's like $8.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
$8 for the Urban Champion. :getin:

$10 for Stevenson and a stage based on his game.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cliff Racer posted:

Wait, so tourneys actually go out and buy DLC instead of only accepting vanilla characters? I had sort of thought it was the opposite, how weird.

Well they kinda have to. It'd be kinda unfair for players who main DLC characters to not be able to actually use them in a tournament.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Crawfish posted:

Eh... ultimately I'd probably shell out for it too, but the true believer in me hopes that (if it happens) Nintendo wont gouge us on the content, and will opt for a bigger chunk at a fair-ish.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TaurusOxford posted:

Well they kinda have to. It'd be kinda unfair for players who main DLC characters to not be able to actually use them in a tournament.

Not really, if the tourneys give reasonable notice prior to happening that they will not allow those characters, due to the expenses involved. Dare I say that is the one area where a player-base could, as a whole, stand up and say no to poorly implemented DLC.

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Quest For Glory II posted:

On the other hand, there's Wii Sports Club, which is shipped incomplete, you buy each sport separately

I bought the Wii U bowling because I had money in my eShop wallet that was pretty much never going to be used otherwise. For bowling, $10 is kind of a rip-off, but... once I started playing it, I was oddly okay with it. Especially once I realized I could draw ridiculous pictures for my response/canned messages to people.

In a side note, feel free to check out the SC bowling league just for my bored drawings that would lead one to think I was on drugs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TaurusOxford posted:

I would happily pay 5 dollars for a character if it meant we finally got characters like Ridley or Little Mac - characters who are long overdue and deserve a spot in the roster far more than Ice Climbers or Jigglypuff ever did.

Respect the Puff. She's a murderbeast of vengeance.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bruceski posted:

Respect the Puff. She's a murderbeast of vengeance.

I only ever use Jigglypuff when I really, really wanna win the next round. And I always do.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Jigglypuff and Ice Climbers were odd characters to bring up as wastes of space really. Jigglypuff rules and while Ice Climbers suck, they're at least interesting.

I do have a friend for whom Ridley is pretty much his favorite character in anything ever and I keep taunting him by assuring him that they will put him in the new smash, but it'll be the NES version. At this point I actually kind of want that to happen.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

axleblaze posted:

Jigglypuff and Ice Climbers were odd characters to bring up as wastes of space really. Jigglypuff rules and while Ice Climbers suck, they're at least interesting.

I do have a friend for whom Ridley is pretty much his favorite character in anything ever and I keep taunting him by assuring him that they will put him in the new smash, but it'll be the NES version. At this point I actually kind of want that to happen.

I'm pretty okay with clones honestly, I mean, i'd rather be able to play as doctor mario than not at all. Maybe I just want to get my doctor on nintendo? Huh?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I really with the Metroid game in Nintendo Land had more conventional controls. I want to like it, I love the visuals and how they Mii-ified a lot of metroid enemies, and the music is pretty cool. But the ship handles like a retarded boat, fumbling with both the gyroscope controls and the camera just isn't fun.

If you choose on-foot, you're at a huge disadvantage because you're so drat slow and being grounded means most of the later enemies will give you a lot of trouble.

quote:

I'm pretty okay with clones honestly, I mean, i'd rather be able to play as doctor mario than not at all. Maybe I just want to get my doctor on nintendo? Huh?

Well if clones return, I hope they're more Brawl-like instead of Melee-like i.e. have unique animations and all of their attacks are heavily modified. The clones in Melee were just loving shameless, was there any significant difference between Mario and Dr. Mario? Pikachu and Pichu? Ganondorf was exactly like Cpt. Falcon except all of his attacks and movements were slowed down and given more power.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 25, 2013

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well if clones return, I hope they're more Brawl-like instead of Melee-like i.e. have unique animations and all of their attacks are heavily modified. The clones in Melee were just loving shameless, was there any significant difference between Mario and Dr. Mario? Pikachu and Pichu? Ganondorf was exactly like Cpt. Falcon except all of his attacks and movements were slowed down and given more power.

Dr Mario was slightly stronger but slightly slower, I think. Pichu was a glass cannon - his attacks damaged himself but he could be devastating if you hung around long enough and his speed/small size set him apart from his evolution.

The clones in Melee were still pretty disappointing (being clones and not separate characters and all), but as far as I know they were at least somewhat different from their originals.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

axleblaze posted:

I wish Club Nintendo actually had stuff worth getting. I mean it's a free service so who am I to complain but man they just have a whole bunch of crap.

Are you not in the US? I mean...they offer games for coins every month. I also got a gold nunchuck a while back and I just got a set of 3 awesome zelda posters and a zelda soundtrack on the way for earning platinum. It seems pretty generous to me.

Edit:

Mercury Crusader posted:

$8 for the Urban Champion. :getin:

I would unironically love if one of the Urban Champion guys was a playable character...

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 25, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo does DLC really well, actually. I can't think of a single instance of Nintendo DLC that isn't worth getting (maybe some of the FE stuff, they made a lot of DLC for that game).

I will say that some of the NSMB2 DLC Coin Rush Packs are a bit expensive for what they are. It will set you back $25 for 30 levels, a bit too expensive for me when you consider all of Super Luigi U was $20.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I wonder what kind of DLC Mario 3d World will have. I beat it 100% in 3 days because I just couldn't loving stop playing, and now I'm eager for more. Give us some challenge maps!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

axleblaze posted:

The 8-bit generation sprites for the old characters need to be playable at some point. Imagine NES Mario fighting NES Megaman.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

I don't get why everyone is complaining about clones in Smash Bros. There's only two right? Mewtwo and Snake.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I got Mario 3D World early (in Europe), does Nintendo ban people who play games in advance like MS does or am I safe?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Kurtofan posted:

I got Mario 3D World early (in Europe), does Nintendo ban people who play games in advance like MS does or am I safe?

Super safe. I think the biggest difference was people were pirating games early. Some bans were legit early owners, though. Go figure. Shoot first, ask questions later.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Edoraz posted:

Super safe. I think the biggest difference was people were pirating games early. Some bans were legit early owners, though. Go figure. Shoot first, ask questions later.

Sweet, thanks.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine if Nintendo goes the DLC route with Smash, it will be much more akin to the (old) Capcom method than the MK method. Just a $20 pack with some new stages, characters, maybe costumes I dunno.

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine
Are there any data on how much money the really gouge-y companies make off DLC? I'm curious as to how positively a thing like DLC Smash characters/MK8 tracks could affect Ninty's bottom line.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

I imagine if Nintendo goes the DLC route with Smash, it will be much more akin to the (old) Capcom method than the MK method. Just a $20 pack with some new stages, characters, maybe costumes I dunno.

I wouldn't have a problem with it at all if they do like they've done for SF4. Every once in a while, new game comes out for 20 bucks that adds more characters and also a new physical version that has everything.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

axleblaze posted:

Is it really true that Ice Climbers suck? I know this isn't a game made for the competitive scene but I have seen some crazy stuff out of people who main Ice Climbers.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

TaurusOxford posted:

You also had Other M which had a game-ending bug, and the only way to fix it was to send in your SD card to Nintendo...
Why would anyone want it fixed? The bug is doing them a favor.

axleblaze posted:

There's nothing wrong with NES Ridley other than having brick-stupid AI. If you really want to troll him, tell him that hatchling Ridley from Other M will be in the game.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm on Thanksgiving vacation, and my $100 Best Buy GC I got for my twice repaired launch-edition 360 was burning a hole in my pocket, so I picked up Wind Waker and Mario 3D World.

One of them will be wrapped as a Christmas gift from my wife to me. The other is getting played the first 3 weeks of December. I'm thinking of opening Zelda now.

My favorite Zelda and 2nd favorite game all time is LTTP (pissed about a sequel finally coming out and being on a handheld system, drat I hope Nintendo puts portable game on the virtual console someday), and I also really enjoyed Ocarina of Time when it came out, although I find it not to be very replayable. I tried Twilight Princess on my Wii and hated the wiimote controls and hated the early part of the game I played before finally quitting. How is Wind Waker HD? Somehow I missed buying Wind Waker on GameCube, so it will be an all new game for me. Is the game pretty open to you like LTTP? Can you do things out of order at times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You can somewhat do things out of order. A major tip that would've saved me some frustration - when you get to the 'hunt' (you will realize it shortly) make sure you go back to the auction house as they have a special sail for your boat they added into the Wii U version that makes the portion much less painful. I wish I had known that before I was almost finished with the hunt because it would've saved me a week's worth of sailing and cursing.

• Locked thread