Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noirex
May 30, 2006

Direct link to the ongoing livestream - http://www.twitch.tv/wildstar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
This is looking pretty fun.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
He slipped and said engineer. So that looks like the actual class name.

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
Also, while they were talking about armor healing, they mentioned another healer class. Sawbones confirmed.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Sonj posted:

Also, while they were talking about armor healing, they mentioned another healer class. Sawbones confirmed.

We already knew that the last ranged class could heal (they all can).

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Do we know that it's a ranged healer and melee engineer rather than ranged engineer and melee healer?

Because more games need melee healers, they're awesome fun, especially when they have a damage -> heals focus like Carbine have strongly hinted at.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

hampig posted:

Do we know that it's a ranged healer and melee engineer rather than ranged engineer and melee healer?

Because more games need melee healers, they're awesome fun, especially when they have a damage -> heals focus like Carbine have strongly hinted at.

I guess technically we don't I just find the thought of a ranged tank somewhat difficult to understand.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
SWTOR had a "Ranged" tank. I don't think you can really make a class that tanks at range, you can make a tank with good ranged abilities. So instead of the Warrior's mobility with leaps and stuff, it would just have good ranged abilities and maybe some snares and stuff. But, yeah, I think a true "ranged tank" would basically require some sort of pet or else a game where everyone has good ranged, because otherwise a mob is always going to want to get up into the tanks face.

I think they said in one of the streams that the remaining healer is supposed to be the "least similar" to traditional healers in other MMO's.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Manifest Dynasty posted:

SWTOR had a "Ranged" tank. I don't think you can really make a class that tanks at range, you can make a tank with good ranged abilities. So instead of the Warrior's mobility with leaps and stuff, it would just have good ranged abilities and maybe some snares and stuff. But, yeah, I think a true "ranged tank" would basically require some sort of pet or else a game where everyone has good ranged, because otherwise a mob is always going to want to get up into the tanks face.

I think they said in one of the streams that the remaining healer is supposed to be the "least similar" to traditional healers in other MMO's.

Melee healers are pretty unique, and a ranged tank would work fine without pets. Yeah, stuff would just walk up, but a ranged tank that revolved around hitting things with skillshots and maintaining threat with cones and ranged abilities could be cool. As long as their abilities are based on doing threat instead of ridiculous amounts of damage, and if your ranged threat abilities were all skillshots you couldn't just mindlessly tab target ranged targets. You would have to move your character around the melee mobs to always face them while you line up skillshots on both them and ranged mobs.

Like if you had some sort of power armor with flamethrowers and charged lasers. But what kind of a class would have that?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
If there was one thing SWTOR did well, it was having legitimately interesting healing classes. Ranged DPS would use healing guns and could even "ubercharge" to go on a mega-healing spree, the rogue-ish class would fire medicine at everyone and used a pseudo combo system.

Having a sci-fi setting like that game or Wildstar does allow for some creativity in how you approach class roles, so I'm really interested to see what endgame content here will be like.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

miscellaneous14 posted:

Having a sci-fi setting like that game or Wildstar does allow for some creativity in how you approach class roles, so I'm really interested to see what endgame content here will be like.

Bullets made of healing nanites :science:

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Right, I'm just saying they wouldn't be keeping a mob at range while they were tanking them without some other sort of mechanic being involved. Or else they would pretty much just be "kiting," not "tanking."

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Right, I'm just saying they wouldn't be keeping a mob at range while they were tanking them without some other sort of mechanic being involved. Or else they would pretty much just be "kiting," not "tanking."

Well tanking just means they're holding aggro. The ranged tanks in SWTOR tended to end up shooting guys at point blank range anyway if the mob was primarily a melee type. All you really need to do is also give them ways to deal with and/or punish that (power armor backhand knockback/stun ability?)

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
It's not like anything is stopping MMO devs making some bosses and mobs with ranged attacks. Melee tanks tank them just like normal, ranged tanks tank them from afar. Or close, whatever works.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
For those who have been playing, how demanding is this game for PCs? I wouldn't assume a whole lot with it being an MMO, but I'm looking at new desktops in the next month or so and this game would be one I'd be planning on running so I want to make sure I get a good enough setup going.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

For those who have been playing, how demanding is this game for PCs? I wouldn't assume a whole lot with it being an MMO, but I'm looking at new desktops in the next month or so and this game would be one I'd be planning on running so I want to make sure I get a good enough setup going.

Even if someone wanted to break NDA to tell you this, it would be inaccurate. Optimization is one of the last things done to a game in beta, and any closed beta will be optimized and unpredictable therefore impossible to accurately judge performance and hardware needs. Wait until an open beta (if there is one) or much much closer to release.

Grouchy Smurf
Mar 12, 2012

"Interesting Quote"
-Interesting guy
Am I allowed to whine like a little bitch to the fact that keys are being sent around, with friend&family keys attached, while alot of stress testers have received poo poo so far?

Thank you!

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Grouchy Smurf posted:

Am I allowed to whine like a little bitch to the fact that keys are being sent around, with friend&family keys attached, while alot of stress testers have received poo poo so far?

Thank you!

You are allowed to whine; it does suck and I'm sorry it had to work this way. We're in these weird pre-beta weeks where we are heavily focused on specific metrics so we had to invite people based off that survey that's been passed around. As soon as we go "wide" in December (like the Classes Ultra Drop tease trailer promised) we're going to try to get all the stress testers in. It'll still have to be in waves because there's too many to add at once but we haven't forgotten the promise we gave.

Sorry dude. :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Even if someone wanted to break NDA to tell you this, it would be inaccurate. Optimization is one of the last things done to a game in beta, and any closed beta will be optimized and unpredictable therefore impossible to accurately judge performance and hardware needs. Wait until an open beta (if there is one) or much much closer to release.

I don't think it's against the NDA to say "the game runs pretty good for me"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Most NDAs are pretty wide ranging and the whole point of them is to keep people from giving impressions of the game, so yeah I think it probably is against the NDA.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I don't think it's against the NDA to say "the game runs pretty good for me"

Technically speaking it's usually against NDAs to even say you are IN a beta, let alone say how it runs and giving impressions. It's also inaccurate and misleading to say how it runs at his point even if you're allowed to, because it will result in speculation and unnecessary conclusions being jumped to based on an unoptimized game. It's better to wait.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
My character's hair is brown. ~*gently caress da NDA*~ Subscribe to my youtube channel for more Exxxclusive W* leaks and prizes.

Herb Stencil
Oct 22, 2012

Bonafide Homosaxual
Did anyone ever figure out why some of us aren't getting any emails, not even in spam folder?

Grouchy Smurf
Mar 12, 2012

"Interesting Quote"
-Interesting guy
^^^^^

It should be because carbine changed email providers, and the new one looks fishy as gently caress. Probably the server filters remove them even before having your standard spam/filter protection. Last email I received was November 16th with Gmail.

Pryce posted:

You are allowed to whine; it does suck and I'm sorry it had to work this way. We're in these weird pre-beta weeks where we are heavily focused on specific metrics so we had to invite people based off that survey that's been passed around. As soon as we go "wide" in December (like the Classes Ultra Drop tease trailer promised) we're going to try to get all the stress testers in. It'll still have to be in waves because there's too many to add at once but we haven't forgotten the promise we gave.

Sorry dude. :(

I still love you <3

Grouchy Smurf fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 24, 2013

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Was there ever any mention of a dungeon finder in this game?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lyer posted:

Was there ever any mention of a dungeon finder in this game?

There is going to be one. You can pick whether or not to roll with people from other servers, to appease people with horrible opinions.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

^ Only got a passing interest at this game but there are some genuinely good reasons for being able to select server-wide LFG. You actually get to meet people on your server and befriend them, this is how I met some of my long lasting friends in WoW. Mostly the people up to their game in dungeons back then (and now?) were generally nice people too.

...That being said, restricting LFG to server wide to appease people who are frothing about "SERVER COMMUNNIITYYY" is a terrible thing. I guess that means I kinda agree with you then? Just like the option being there :shrug:

fake edit: Now you're going to say that this game has kind of infrastructure that renders servers completely trivial as a form of border between people

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

:siren:chua mount:siren:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

:smithicide:

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Have you ever tried signing up for the beta again? I know my beta application from around the same day was deleted when they launched the new beta application around February this year.

Edit: Or rather, I don't know if the new one was launched in February, that's just when I re-applied. And I've been getting very infrequent emails/newsletters since then.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Honestly, that's 10 kinds of awesome.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Is that a hamster wheel? :allears:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Noirex posted:

Is that a hamster wheel? :allears:

It's like a combination of a hamster ball and the uni-wheel contraption from South Park. :allears:

Seraphinent
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah and lighten the load, make it more zaaa--ohh, you know!

Mine is Dated the 9th of October 2011 and i haven't got an invite either, i feel ya (resigned up a little while back though).

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Seraphinent posted:

Mine is Dated the 9th of October 2011 and i haven't got an invite either, i feel ya (resigned up a little while back though).

Got into the ESO beta, wish it would have been WildStar. I logged like 60 bugs; I'm a good tester. WHY WON'T GOD HELP ME.

Vex Thunder
Dec 12, 2005

FAT TIRE Amber Ale's appeal is in its feat of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

Loose Ifer posted:

Got into the ESO beta, wish it would have been WildStar. I logged like 60 bugs; I'm a good tester. WHY WON'T GOD HELP ME.

Same here. At least I have a better idea of which new MMO I'm going to play next year.

Pretty sure ESO is out of the running.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Seraphinent posted:

I've re-signed up like 50 times with the same email. Pretty sure if you signed up back then, you need to redo it.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Vex Thunder posted:

Same here. At least I have a better idea of which new MMO I'm going to play next year.

Pretty sure ESO is out of the running.

Without having looked too far into it, TESO seems like yet another mediocre MMO with a popular brand's sticker slapped on it.

e: spellin'

rap music fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 26, 2013

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

rap music posted:

Without having looking too far into it, TESO seems like yet another mediocre MMO with a popular brand's sticker slapped on it.

Not to de-rail this into a ESO conversation, but having played it this weekend it was completely uninspired and frankly boring. It felt like Vanguard and Conan had a bland baby together with a Skyrim UI overlay on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Korlac posted:

Not to de-rail this into a ESO conversation, but having played it this weekend it was completely uninspired and frankly boring. It felt like Vanguard and Conan had a bland baby together with a Skyrim UI overlay on top of it.

I actually had fun playing it, just the polish isn't there, but i feel like the flow of it was pretty fun.

• Locked thread