Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DangerKat posted:

So what was a simple, somewhat noticeable but not really long crack in my mini has become a full on shattered screen. I don't know how it happened but it has forced my hand. I'm going to pick up a mini retina tomorrow morning but I'm wondering what I can expect for selling the busted mini. I'd be happy with $150 and it seems like that's feasible but I want to be realistic and sell it as quickly as possible. Would I do well to just cut my losses and put it out there for $100?

e: It appears I spoke to sooon the retina mini's availability at retail stores. All the same, I am planning to sell the cracked one and would appreciate advice. Thanks

Why not just toss it up on eBay with a $100 starting bid? If you're willing to take that much then you've got nothing to lose. A quick eBay search for sold minis with cracked screens turns up a bunch that went for $150-200, so I think you'll be fine.

Edit- What size is it? It looks like you can actually expect closer to $200, and possibly a bit more for a 32 or 64gb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

echobucket posted:

Sent my Switcheasy Canvas back to Amazon and went and picked up the Apple Leather Smart Case (Product Red) tonight. I love the feel of it, and the fact that my iPad Mini still feels thin in it.

It is funny I got the exact same thing tonight. I feel kind of stupid spending so much, but I just wanted a good case. :(

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
My Retina Mini definitely has image-retention using the test that's been going around. I've never seen it while using the iPad normally (I've only had the thing a couple of days though) and knowing it's there doesn't bug me too much. Am I right in saying it isn't permanent and won't damage my device? There's an Apple store nearby but, y'know, feels a bit wasteful gunning for a replacement if it's unnecessary.

On the other hand, this thing wasn't cheap and I kinda want it to work properly.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Wait 11 months and take it in for a replacement.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
I'm just going to put in my vote for the iPad Air Poetic Slimline case. $10 and it's thin and light. I'm coming from two previous Switcheasy Canvas cases. I like those previous cases but with the Air, it's nice to keep it minimal.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I had that case on my Mini. The corners all cracked within a few weeks of light use and the cover feels cheap after touching a smartcover. At least it didn't cost much.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Tenterhooks posted:

My Retina Mini definitely has image-retention using the test that's been going around. I've never seen it while using the iPad normally (I've only had the thing a couple of days though) and knowing it's there doesn't bug me too much. Am I right in saying it isn't permanent and won't damage my device? There's an Apple store nearby but, y'know, feels a bit wasteful gunning for a replacement if it's unnecessary.

On the other hand, this thing wasn't cheap and I kinda want it to work properly.

It's only going to get worse, so plan for a return. They certainly don't get better.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
FYI fellow Canadians, Best Buy and future shop are giving $200 trade in values on ipad 2s now.

The flyer says for purchase of an Air but I have heard you get a gift card for whatever.

I am torn between keeping mine for a kid tablet (with an appropriate case) or getting in on this.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Don Tacorleone posted:

It's only going to get worse, so plan for a return. They certainly don't get better.

Crap, really? I have a new retina mini with image retention on that test, but completely unnoticeable in day to day use. I had planned on just keeping it. I suppose I should plan a trip to an Apple store, then? It's been less than 14 days, and I have Applecare. What are the odds they have a 64 GB Verizon in stock?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

BeanBandit posted:

Crap, really? I have a new retina mini with image retention on that test, but completely unnoticeable in day to day use. I had planned on just keeping it. I suppose I should plan a trip to an Apple store, then? It's been less than 14 days, and I have Applecare. What are the odds they have a 64 GB Verizon in stock?

I'd highly recommend asking for a proper screen, as I said, it only gets worse. They should exchange it no questions asked, no idea about their stock but you paid for a properly functioning device and you really shouldn't let something like that pass.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Alternately, since it's covered under AppleCare, why jot wait until it gets bad enough for you to notice it?

You'll avoid the holiday mobs at the apple store, and when you do swap it, you get to hit the reset button on several months worth of wear and tear and have a shiny new device all over again.

There's no real reason to rush out and try to replace an iPad with an issue that's not actually bothering you.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Especially since they all likely have the same issue right now, no?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
That's why I said wait 11 months and do an exchange. I mean you don't have to wait 11 months really but you basically have a free exchange whenever. No reason to rush it.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Ah, cool. Might give it a while to lessen the risk of getting another one / let Christmas pass. UK replacements are covered for 12 months if something's faulty regardless, aren't they? I didn't pay extra for AppleCare or anything.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Tenterhooks posted:

Ah, cool. Might give it a while to lessen the risk of getting another one / let Christmas pass. UK replacements are covered for 12 months if something's faulty regardless, aren't they? I didn't pay extra for AppleCare or anything.

Apple's standard warranty is one year, worldwide.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

Feenix posted:

Especially since they all likely have the same issue right now, no?

I've tested a few times and mine doesn't show any signs of image retention. So there are probably better and worse batches.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Yeah, I think Apple outsourced the screen production to multiple companies, so some have retention, some do not.

TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008
I'm looking at getting the Air or Mini with retina display, leaning towards the mini right now, I will mostly use it for musical stuff like garageband and a few other apps combined with something like a Line 6 Sonic Port. How quickly would you fill up a 16/32gb iPad doing recording on garageband (I have no idea how it stores its files, something called .aiff according to a google search). EDIT - further research suggests the 64gb is available for not much more if you use stores offering cash back, so I think this is probably redundant.

I will probably use it as a web browser and facebook/twitter/media device as well, so will have a few apps installed on it, as well as the million and 1 things my wife will probably fill it up with. So can you back up work from an iPad to a external hard drive, or do you need a mac to transfer it to?

Final question (promise) is there some amazing device I can plug into my tv and sync with an iPad so whats on the iPad is displayed on the tv, for watching netflick's etc?

TheCrushinator fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 24, 2013

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The Apple TV does that. I don't know if it's amazing but I like mine.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I think Netflix specifically doesn't allow Airplay last I checked, though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The AppleTV can do Netflix directly though.

There's also the $35 chromecast if you really want to beam Netflix from the iPad, but its much more limited than the ATV

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
You can't back up directly from an iPad to an HDD, but you can do so to any computer. You can also use iCloud to store stuff, which is fine for your personal data, a bit lacking in capacity/speed for your garage band stuff.

On that note, if GarageBand is a primary use for you, I'd highly recommend the air. The larger onscreen piano and the larger screen for displaying tracks are one of the few cases where the bigger screen is unequivocally better, and you're also more likely to notice the extra .1 ghz of performance.

Finally, as far as connecting to a TV, there are adapter cables to connect directly via HDMI, as well as stuff like Apple TV for wireless syncing/streaming.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

My brand new iPad Air is having a very minor, yet annoying issue. Keyboard transparency. Every screenshot I see online shows the keyboard as being transparent, just like on the iPhone, but mine doesn't do this.

Restarting doesn't make it work, a system restore didn't change it, increase contrast is not turned on in settings, turning on and off does not change the keyboards, and the rest of the UI has transparency just like you'd expect. Why are my keyboards broken, and just the keyboards only?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Netflix now allows Airplay too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SaturdayKnight posted:

My brand new iPad Air is having a very minor, yet annoying issue. Keyboard transparency. Every screenshot I see online shows the keyboard as being transparent, just like on the iPhone, but mine doesn't do this.

Restarting doesn't make it work, a system restore didn't change it, increase contrast is not turned on in settings, turning on and off does not change the keyboards, and the rest of the UI has transparency just like you'd expect. Why are my keyboards broken, and just the keyboards only?
Can you link us a screenshot with a transparent keyboard? I don't think I've ever seen that. My keyboard is opaque.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

Can you link us a screenshot with a transparent keyboard? I don't think I've ever seen that. My keyboard is opaque.

See the transparency in that keyboard? Mine is 100% opaque, and shows nothing through it, neither the white, nor the dark color scheme keyboard. I can find more pictures, but I think this shows it pretty well.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
My keyboard is black and not transparent in the awful app but it is transparent in the spotlight search. Yours should be too. There is no way to change that setting.

Is it black in the messages app? It could be background related.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

FlashBangBob posted:

My keyboard is black and not transparent in the awful app but it is transparent in the spotlight search. Yours should be too. There is no way to change that setting.

As my screenshot shows, it is not transparent in spotlight search, and I'm well aware the old iOS 6 keyboard is not transparent. I know there's no way to change this setting, that's why I'm asking if it's a bug, because this not expected behavior.

My keyboard is the correct color in every app, just opaque, as if the increase contrast setting was turned on, but increase contrast is off. I have no idea why my keyboard and only my keyboard is not respecting the increase contrast setting being off.

SaturdayKnight fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 24, 2013

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Well after looking around some more, Apple's own iOS 7 on the iPad guide has screenshots showing the keyboard as opaque and not transparent. Apparently a decision was made at some point that the keyboard needed to be changed so as to not fit in with the transparency motif of the entire OS for no good reason, and now it stands out and looks like crap. Not the resolution I was expecting.

So nothing is wrong other than that Apple forgot that consistency is good, much like how most of iOS 7 is inconsistent. At least that part is consistent.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's the consensus on fruitcare for iPads? I've always gotten it on my MacBooks, but wasn't sure whether to get it on my first ipad.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Mine is black as well in the search. On iOS 7.0.3 on an rMini. Only accessibility feature on is Reduce Motion.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Residency Evil posted:

What's the consensus on fruitcare for iPads? I've always gotten it on my MacBooks, but wasn't sure whether to get it on my first ipad.

It's a big sheet of glass. Within two years you can toss it into a pool then drive over it and get a new one for $50. That's pretty cool.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

It's a big sheet of glass. Within two years you can toss it into a pool then drive over it and get a new one for $50. That's pretty cool.

Even if you don't break the glass, the electronics are pretty tightly packed in there and even a little drop can stress the guts inside to where it starts to malfunction.

In the last two months or so, I've replaced an iPad Mini and an iPhone 5 under AppleCare+ because they got dropped and things started acting funky like six weeks later.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Has anyone found an iPad Mini Retina case that they like? I've only had an original iPad with a first edition Dodocase. Anything good?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

sellouts posted:

Has anyone found an iPad Mini Retina case that they like? I've only had an original iPad with a first edition Dodocase. Anything good?

If you have more money than sense the official case is pretty good.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

sellouts posted:

I'm using a clear plastic back with a smart cover and am liking it so far.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

eddiewalker posted:

Isn't it $90 now?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Isn't it $90 now?

$79

Spartehcus
Sep 18, 2007
I'm Spartehcus!
I'm waiting on a smartsuit for the iPad mini (http://www.thejoyfactory.com/product/cse114). It's on sale for 39.95.

I really liked the one I've had on my iPad 3 ever since I read a recommendation for these in an old thread. The smartsuits are expensive, but are cheaper then the apple leather cases. In my opinion the smartsuit has a superior material... Kinda almost feels carbon fibery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

mattfl posted:

I'm using a clear plastic back with a smart cover and am liking it so far.

I'm using the same: Amazon basics back with a Smart Cover. The only downside is that it can't stand up higher.