Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love Mccoy's little "I GOT HIS PEN" moment when they get past the first security guard.

And, gentlemen and ladies, yet again. Tom Baker is the Best. That's all that needs to be said. Whether it's being trapped in another sodding time vortex (how often does that happen to the man) or being both the 4th and Last Doctor or whatevers-dude is amazing. And very, very Tom Baker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
How has Tom Baker aged the best of all the pre-reboot Doctor's besides McGann.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sbaldrick posted:

...he hasn't? At least, I don't think so. Sly looks more like his old self. Tom looks like my Nan.

C.Bakes has, lamentably, aged the worst though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sbaldrick posted:

Sly has aged pretty good, and he was on of the highlights of the Hobbit.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

...he hasn't? At least, I don't think so. Sly looks more like his old self. Tom looks like my Nan.

C.Bakes has, lamentably, aged the worst though.

Colin was a busy dad for quite awhile. Being dad-ified can do that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Davison looks pretty drat good for his age too.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah saying he has aged the best is just crazy talk. Tom looks ancient, because he is.

Not sure why we are discussing this in the spoiler thread.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

marktheando posted:

Yeah saying he has aged the best is just crazy talk. Tom looks ancient, because he is.

Not sure why we are discussing this in the spoiler thread.

At this point I'm barely sure why we even have a spoiler thread, since about all we know about the next episode is what we saw in an 11 second teaser trailer that the squares in the main thread didn't. :v:

Moffat's putting us out of business.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Astroman posted:

Moffat's putting us out of business.

Steven Moffat writes a script
Steven Moffat sits tight-lipped
If Moffat hears your tongue has slipped
He eats you when you're sleeping

- "Spoilers Leak No More", an inscription on the walls of the Doctor Who production offices

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astroman posted:

At this point I'm barely sure why we even have a spoiler thread, since about all we know about the next episode is what we saw in an 11 second teaser trailer that the squares in the main thread didn't. :v:

Well, Capaldi starts shooting Series 8 in January, so I'm sure we'll have set photos before too long...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Timby posted:

Well, Capaldi starts shooting Series 8 in January, so I'm sure we'll have set photos before too long...

Does he? It isn't meant to air until next August (!) so that's a lot of downtime for him between filming and the airing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

Does he? It isn't meant to air until next August (!) so that's a lot of downtime for him between filming and the airing.

Doesn't it usually take six or seven months to produce a full 13-episode run, due to British union regulations? I seem to recall both Tennant and Smith citing the schedule (and the crimp it put on them taking other work) as the primary reason for them leaving.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Forktoss posted:

Steven Moffat writes a script
Steven Moffat sits tight-lipped
If Moffat hears your tongue has slipped
He eats you when you're sleeping

- "Spoilers Leak No More", an inscription on the walls of the Doctor Who production offices

NEEEERD!!!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This was in the Mirror today, believe at your own peril, etc.

quote:

Doctor Who will face the end of a 50 year story in the Christmas special - when Time Lord Matt Smith reveals he is actually the 13th and 'final' Doctor.

Actor Matt, 31, has long thought to have been the Eleventh Doctor on the hit BBC sci-fi show, which can only regenerate 12 times according to the show's folklore. Fans have worried for years that the show will have to end once the 13th Doctor dies.

But on December 25, current theories among millions of fans will be exterminated once and for all when Matt says in a dramatic speech he is the 13th Doctor and adds: "I'm dying and there is nothing I can do about it."

On Saturday night at the end of the show's 50th anniversary special, all the Doctors lined up, including John Hurt who was previously not thought to count. David Tennant's Time Lord also used up an extra regeneration to save himself in an episode called Journey's End.

A show source explained: "There have been two David Tennant Doctor Whos technically and with John Hurt playing another Doctor in the film, it basically means he can't regenerate again.

"The riddle of the regeneration problem, something fans have talked about for decades, will be faced head on at Christmas. There is going to be another huge cliffhanger and somehow Peter Capaldi has to join and the series has to continue.

"The show's big fans, known as Whovians, won't believe their eyes at Christmas."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was nice that the source felt the need to explain what the show's fans were called

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
I'm happy if that turns out to be true.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'll be interested to see how they handle it, if true. That could be pretty cool.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I was suspecting something like that, another Moffat style resolution to the fact that we have seen the Doctors grave and it seems to be Smiths. That time rip is probably where he dies, then somehow gets a new set of regeneration cycles. So he goes on but his previous chain is ended.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Well then. This'll be interesting.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd make a remark about how a lot of whovians are basically brony-level internet refuse but now I'm too focused on speculating how Capaldi, Trenzalore, the last regeneration and the last of the Silence will fall Moffat nonsense will fit together and realized that at this point I'm just as goofy as the whovians. At least they don't gently caress their Dalek-plushies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Edit: nothing to see here

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quakster posted:

At least they don't gently caress their Dalek-plushies.

I was gonna call you naive, but after a Google search with the plan of finding something to prove you wrong I couldn't find anything!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Whovian is a dumber term than Trekkie. And I'm both. So I'm probably just a Terrible Person.

Anyway, maybe we'll get a different kind of regeneration this time, since it's beyond his limit. That'd be cool. Enough with turning gold and exploding. Let's go back to flashing back to Adric and dying. Haha.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I prefer Whooligan.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I hope Capaldi regenerates into the first Curator.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Capaldi as the beginning of a new cycle or something is a bit weird since he was one of the 13 or whatever in the 50th :confused:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's true, but doesn't that also clash with Smith being the last doctor? Unless Hurt regenerates into Capald.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

moths posted:

That's true, but doesn't that also clash with Smith being the last doctor? Unless Hurt regenerates into Capald.

We saw him regenerate into Christopher Eccleston

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.

bobkatt013 posted:

We saw him regenerate into Christopher Eccleston

No we didn't.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DirtyRobot posted:

Capaldi as the beginning of a new cycle or something is a bit weird since he was one of the 13 or whatever in the 50th :confused:

Yeah, I don't get how we saw the 13 Doctors but now one is supposed to be extra? I like that idea for a story but it would have worked better if Capaldi hadn't been in Day of the Doctor.

notsowelp posted:

No we didn't.

:ughh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

notsowelp posted:

No we didn't.

So I didn't see Hurt start to explode and see Christopher Eccleston facial features?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

bobkatt013 posted:

So I didn't see Hurt start to explode and see Christopher Eccleston facial features?

I ran through it frame by frame and it cuts away before Hurt's features start to change.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

jivjov posted:

I ran through it frame by frame and it cuts away before Hurt's features start to change.

Its pretty obviously Hurt turning into Eccleston and not him turning into anyone else.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The truthers have arrived.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

bobkatt013 posted:

Its pretty obviously Hurt turning into Eccleston and not him turning into anyone else.

Oh I'm not denying that at all. They just didn't show any Eccleston on screen.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
Oh yeah I'm not actually arguing that he regenerated into another doctor, just that... we didn't see him regenerate into Eccleston as that one guy said. Though I just went back frame by frame and it looks like they possibly tweaked the eyes to resemble Christopher's, maybe, for like a quarter second right at the end of the final closeup.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I honestly wish they had just digitally Eccleston'd Hurt's face. They could even have still cut away before the regeneration effect was done, or pulled out to a longer shot with no clear face on screen, but after seeing the 8->War regeneration, my one wishlist item left for the 50th was a War->9.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Oh I'm not denying that at all. They just didn't show any Eccleston on screen.

It's the eyes. look at the eyes.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

jivjov posted:

I honestly wish they had just digitally Eccleston'd Hurt's face. They could even have still cut away before the regeneration effect was done, or pulled out to a longer shot with no clear face on screen, but after seeing the 8->War regeneration, my one wishlist item left for the 50th was a War->9.

But they did that. John Hurt suddenly has Christopher Eccleston's eyes for a few frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ben Soosneb posted:

It's the eyes. look at the eyes.

Yannick_B posted:

But they did that. John Hurt suddenly has Christopher Eccleston's eyes for a few frames.

I'm looking at it right now and I'm not seeing anything other than shiny regeneration light.

• Locked thread