Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

BlitzBlast posted:

the show proper will likely feature every single Gundam series ever.

Except G-Savior. Probably.

Hahahahahaha welp.

EDIT: Well that makes another great episode. I love how the "serious" plot for this show is apparently "so why are we just using this stuff to move toys?" It's an actually reasonable question. :allears:

And I never thought I'd see Tomino so happy.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say, that was a hell of an introduction for Aila. Hope she stays this scary rather than being curbstomped and shoved out of the way like so many female pilots in the franchise. I think the show can comfortably fit in another Tatsuya-scale threat.

Also, it's great to see someone going "Wait, you have this revolutionary new technology and you're just using it to move plastic toys around?" Definitely invested in Nils's arc, wherever it leads us.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I'm DEFINITELY buying the MG Sengoku Astray now. That was an awesome fight.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The La Vie en Rose Garden! These people know what true comedy is.

Next week is Bearguy vs. SD gundam. Can't wait.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Ethiser posted:

The La Vie en Rose Garden! These people know what true comedy is.

Next week is Bearguy vs. SD gundam. Can't wait.

Not just ANY SD Gundam. SD KNIGHT GUNDAM. :swoon:

It was neat to take some time off from our MCs and focus on the other Gunpla battlers, and see how... "sensible" the "serious" plot is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm DEFINITELY buying the MG Sengoku Astray now. That was an awesome fight.

Yeah, I had the HG ordered because it looked cool/silly but I'm definitely switching to the MG.

Gundam Build Fighters: working as intended.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
They let some rear end in a top hat use the Devil Gundam? And then he gets beat by a Jegan? This show is so awesome.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, I had the HG ordered because it looked cool/silly but I'm definitely switching to the MG.

But if you get the MG you might not get the wacky as hell support pack!

I don't know what possible use a ring of prayer beads could serve, but I bet this show will make a good one. :allears:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

I'll buy some third party PG Red Frame swords and stick them into Sengoku's big shoulder hands. All the accessories he ever needs. :colbert:

Caros
May 14, 2008

So the one thing I have to say about Build Fighters is that it is loving amazing how deep this show goes.

I mean, look at 00. Midway through season one you had some interesting plotlines: What's up with the throne Gundams, what is the overall 'plan', what is Corner up to etc.

Build fighters? You've got the new Nemisis girl walking around in a mask, which begs the question why they need to hide her face. You've got Nils and Mao each able to use Plavasky particles in seemingly very strange ways. You've got the particle itself which seems like there is more to it than just moving plastic toys. You've got PPSE apparently throwing in a ringer into their own tournament. And oh yeah, Reiji is a magical loving Genie!

How is it that a show about buying plastic toys has some of the deepest mysteries of any Gundam show to date, while also having battles between Bearguy and SD Knight Gundam.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I don't know what possible use a ring of prayer beads could serve, but I bet this show will make a good one. :allears:

From what I've read about the MG Build Strike and Build Mk-II they're both including their support packs so I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption that they'll include the expansions for all the Build Fighters MGs.

This... this goddamn show man. I'm already super invested in like 3 character arcs now they have to go and introduce both Nils and Aila, both piloting my 2 favorite mobile suits in the franchise, the Astray and Qubeley.
And yet I'm still super goddamn excited for next week's Beargguy vs. SD Knight Gundam fight:allears:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

TARDISman posted:

From what I've read about the MG Build Strike and Build Mk-II they're both including their support packs so I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption that they'll include the expansions for all the Build Fighters MGs.
For those two, the HGs include the packs too, albeit crappier versions than the stand-alones.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I am totally onboard with the GM Sniper K9. The GM Sniper II is the coolest GM ever. Now in military olive green.

Oh God, I hope someday build fighters gives us an MG GM Sniper II.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I can't get over Ailas last name, being from Finland my self, not to mention when they say it out loud. Is this how it feels whenever there's like German or some other popular country presented?

But it was still a really awesome episode, a bit sad the Tallgeese got destroyed so fast though. But the new Astray was cool.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Demicol posted:

I can't get over Ailas last name, being from Finland my self, not to mention when they say it out loud. Is this how it feels whenever there's like German or some other popular country presented?

But it was still a really awesome episode, a bit sad the Tallgeese got destroyed so fast though. But the new Astray was cool.
As someone with a last name of Dutch origin, I understand how odd it sounded. Though, this WAS the first time the cast got to say Aila's full name, so there probably will be some smoothing of the edges in future episodes. Then again, this isn't 00, where everyone uses their full names left and right.

As for the episode:
La Vie En Rose Garden. Nice way to feature New York's own Madison Square Garden and work it into the wacky universe without having to pay royalties for using the original name. Very disappointed that neither of the announcers looked like Stalker (I'll let the Tomino lookalike slide). I will not give up hope on him making a cameo, goddamnit. :colbert:
Really do not like Aila's...."suit" thingie. We already have a Char, we don't need a second one running around. And it looks stupid. Also bummed we really didn't get to see Detonator QubeleyQubeley Papillion in action.
I can't wait for next week. China vs. SD Knight Gundam!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Man, the Tallgeese dude was loving awesome. You cut off my arms? Then I'll just ram you into the rocks! :kamina:

Hope he shows up again instead of just jobbing to the Sengoku.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm hoping Reiji will spend most of his time further honing his skills against all the old pros. It's a nice parallel to Sei picking up new tricks by observing all the models they fight.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
At this point, I don't think even a Doozy Bots appearance would surprise me.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I loving love how Aila is supposed to be this slightly emotionless girl but she has the biggest :smug: face whenever she gets complimented or is fighting.

Also her biggest victory in the episode Wasnt chumping the Devil Gundam, it wasn't chumping last years world champion, it was beating him before Ramba Ral could get there. Absolute Victory

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 26, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh hey, the ED changed.

RIP Sazaki, your Gyan was too good for this world. :smith:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I loving love how Aila is supposed to be this slightly emotionless girl but she has the biggest :smug: face whenever she gets complimented or is fighting.

She's incredibly :smug: in the ending too, you just know she's laughing at Sei for being on foot.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 26, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hahaha 6.5 billion gunpla battle fans. I love this big dumb show so much.

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, it's great to see someone going "Wait, you have this revolutionary new technology and you're just using it to move plastic toys around?" Definitely invested in Nils's arc, wherever it leads us.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's anything other than "he may understand particle physics and martial arts, but he does not understand the True Heart of Gunpla, so he loses to the protagonists."

Best-case scenario, the implications about plavski particles being important and Reiji's magical/alien/future origin mean that somehow the fate of the world really will rest on a gunpla battle.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Reiji's race shows up and gets pissed as hell at us. "We gave you technology to help advance civilization and cure sickness, you are using it for children's modeling toys!" Yes they're all speaking in thick Swiss accents, why do you ask?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I was hoping they would go this standard "overly serious children's toys" and man did they deliver on it in a great way.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

Man, the Tallgeese dude was loving awesome. You cut off my arms? Then I'll just ram you into the rocks! :kamina:

Hope he shows up again instead of just jobbing to the Sengoku.

He seems to have some kind of history with Fellini, so I assume he'll show up at least once more to go in to that. As for Aira and her bodysuit/helm, I assume the helm at least is meant to help in controlling the bits she'll use in a more dynamic manner than the guy last episode was able to with G-Bits. It's goofy as hell looking, but that's why I burst out laughing at soon as she turned up wearing it, so I've no problem with it. It'd be like having a problem with Nils since he turned up to the tournament in traditional samurai robes.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Couldn't count how many times I yelled audibly at my screen for this week's episode. Everything about Nils is super-silly and it's amazing.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I wonder if the fight at the start is trying to reference the rather badass nameless Jegan pilots in Unicorn.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like how instead of the stock tall, blonde, arrogant idiot gaijin character, the American champion ended up being a multiracial black/japanese wunderkind with multiple doctorates. Who is also apparently the world's most archaic weeaboo (i seriously lost it when he opened the closet in his tatami apartment to reveal his robot kneeling in its own little dojo).

With that and the WWE style ring entrances (which should totally come back), it seems like the staff is getting creative and having a lot of fun with this premise/show. Or at least as much fun as you can have making a children's television show, I guess.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They're literally just throwing in scenes because they think it'd be fun to draw, I think it's a given they're enjoying themselves.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm a huge fan of how incredibly brutal the fights are. The endings of both fights in this episode were very :stonk:, way more rough than the standard Gundam bisected-with-saber-or-shot-through-torso-with-beam-rifle unit deaths.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I love it how there's a big fight in Madison Square Garden with thousands of fans in the audience when in reality barely anybody cares about Gundam in the US. Or... even outside Japan for that matter.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I love how overdramatic even the adult fighters get, like they were actually inside the plastic toy when it got buried under rocks or whatever.

"Oh NO!"

Poor idea to bet on gun vs katana though :v:

GRECO LOGAN
CARLOS KAISER

The best loving names.

(Not just me or are all the old aces using gigantic and/or overpowered poo poo that get's trounced by more "clever/Newtypey" (overpowered) poo poo? Apsalus, Devil Gundam, Alpha A, Tallgeese, Wing Zero... only the original Gundam stands out as an exception).

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 26, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Build Fighters actually has an evolving metagame, it's hilarious. Back in Takeshi's day (2nd world championship) a decent straight build and maybe a new paint job was the standard. Then came the age of customs, and now everyone's abusing game mechanics using plavsky particles to win.

Also Devil Gundam lost to a Jegan, which is about the opposite of overpowered. :v:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

BlitzBlast posted:

Also Devil Gundam lost to a Jegan, which is about the opposite of overpowered. :v:

She clearly equipped Instant Hero and Little Giant before entering the stage.

Caros
May 14, 2008

AzraelNewtype posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I really want to make a tabletop game based on build fighters.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

AzraelNewtype posted:

Beginner's Faux Pass is one my favorites.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Caros posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I really want to make a tabletop game based on build fighters.

I actually started trying to convert a lot of mobile suits from the OYW into the Mekton Zeta system until I realized that pretty much nobody is gonna wanna play a Gundam pen and paper game with me where I try my darnedest to do a Tomino and kill everyone off.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Sonata Mused posted:

Beginner's Faux Pass is one my favorites.

It's certainly one of the funniest, because it's a mistranslation of Mistakes of Youth. DWG3 changed, but made it worse, "Beginner's Aid". She probably could use it in such a fight though, as I doubt anybody was gonna tag her, so it's just free damage.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I actually started trying to convert a lot of mobile suits from the OYW into the Mekton Zeta system until I realized that pretty much nobody is gonna wanna play a Gundam pen and paper game with me where I try my darnedest to do a Tomino and kill everyone off.

Also because it would involve playing Mekton Zeta, which is a hilariously overcomplex system.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

I love it how there's a big fight in Madison Square Garden with thousands of fans in the audience when in reality barely anybody cares about Gundam in the US. Or... even outside Japan for that matter.

I dunno, I could see gunpla becoming big if those sort of fights happened in real life.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

I dunno, I could see gunpla becoming big if those sort of fights happened in real life.

Yeah, if you had a game where people could make action figures fly around and shoot at each other with lasers, I think Gunpla would be a bit more popular in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

Also because it would involve playing Mekton Zeta, which is a hilariously overcomplex system.

It really is. I wonder if there's any other pen and paper systems well suited to a Gundam RPG where it takes me 6 hours to do the stats on a single mobile suit because I have to calculate the weight, the fuel weight, how much armor is on each limb, how much space all these systems are going to take, and so on.

On the plus side, most things in the OYW are variants of the Zaku and GM so once you have those two down you just modify the rest but it's still complicated as all poo poo.

Caros posted:

Yeah, if you had a game where people could make action figures fly around and shoot at each other with lasers, I think Gunpla would be a bit more popular in the US.

In the US they would probably do that, but with Transformers and Marvel Super Heroes and Star Wars guys probably.

• Locked thread