Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Apparently so did they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jakse posted:

I thought the sale was supposed to start today or yesterday?

Their sale interface was so obtuse that they didn't notice it was set to the wrong date.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Stop pissing on my lawn, man. This is my first Grand Campaign, let me enjoy my victory.

Sorry dude I was super tired when I posted that and it came off wrong. Its a helluva victory you pulled off. ArchangeI is right thst you should be able to stop the IJN cold next time they come calling.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Every time you process a turn in WitP is a victory over the interface.

ps. I will send out emails for Decisive Campaigns on Monday or Sunday evening (I have a full weekend). I've said we're going to do free setup in this one, please use this time to think about what other variants you might like to see thrown into the mix.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 23, 2013

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
No dyle plan pls.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

steinrokkan posted:

How can you even create a website without knowing what a database is? :psyduck:

Next week on Comedy Channel's The Matrix: Andy loses the Geocities password and Tracy can't figure out how to upload the new x_flames_radical_x.gif header.

I wonder what e-commerce platform or CMS (if any) they're running. I used to work at a web development shop and the idea that someone finds changing prices on a few dozen products daunting in 2013 boggles my mind.

Saros posted:

Sorry dude I was super tired when I posted that and it came off wrong. Its a helluva victory you pulled off. ArchangeI is right thst you should be able to stop the IJN cold next time they come calling.
No worries, mate. I didn't need praise or anything, I just wanted to share a story of a good battle. Also, you know, yelling and cheering at my computer.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Grognard Games Megathread - Every turn is a victory over the interface.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I really hope you guys post a LP of that Warsaw to Berlin game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dtkozl posted:

No dyle plan pls.

I'd be fine with just this as an additional variant as well.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

dtkozl posted:

No dyle plan pls.

You may wish to consider that with no dyle plan what I will do will be totally unpredictable.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Having successfully bogged down the German invasion of Poland in the last game, I will pick last.

In other news, Tim Stone's latest The Flare Path could alternatively be titled: Matrix Games: why do you hate your customers so much?

From yesterday, but the matrix forum thread for this is a gold mine: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3476284 Trigger warnings: MRAs, "Politically incorrect" "No sexism in the gaming industry"

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

ArchangeI posted:

From yesterday, but the matrix forum thread for this is a gold mine: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3476284 Trigger warnings: MRAs, "Politically incorrect" "No sexism in the gaming industry"

Someone uses the phrase "beta male" in the first few posts. Ahaha gently caress this lovely hobby that I will never get away from.

And I'd like to point out a demo and sale is what got me to buy Command Ops.

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 23, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Too bad we haven't got anyone around to defend them since relentless shitposting still gets you probated round here :arghfist:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Koesj posted:

Too bad we haven't got anyone around to defend them since relentless shitposting still gets you probated round here :arghfist:

That doesn't seem to stop most goons.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

No sale yet.

Does anyone have an opinion on Tank Operations: European Campaign ? It's a hex-based indie strategy wargame that looks tempting.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I suggest, that if you dont have it, wait for the Unity of Command sale.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Riso posted:

I suggest, that if you dont have it, wait for the Unity of Command sale.

[on Steam]

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The UOC guys give out steamkeys on their website too.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jakse posted:

Someone uses the phrase "beta male" in the first few posts. Ahaha gently caress this lovely hobby that I will never get away from.

And I'd like to point out a demo and sale is what got me to buy Command Ops.

It's amazing how quickly the Matrix denizens have settled into a (really stupid) Character Assassination strategy whenever Tim Stone is quoted.

"Yeah he said some things BUT LOOK I RPS'S LINE ON FEMINISM AND VIOLENCE (which Tim hasn't really written anything about) IS POSSIBLY INCONSISTENT IN SOME WAYS I DON'T LIKE".

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I did love that guy on the Matrix forums who said something like "when has Tim Stone ever published anything :smug:" when he specifically interviews like 4 different publishers who all think that demos are a great idea.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Matrix continue to completely deny the realities of pricing video games in the face of blatant evidence of their incorrectness. At this point I'm wondering how long they're going to keep their fingers in their ears before reality finally breaks their nose.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Has anyone tried this game on steam?

http://tank-operations.com/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

jaegerx posted:

Has anyone tried this game on steam?

http://tank-operations.com/

Apparently it's a beer-and-pretzels-ish Panzer General-like, only covering the Western Allies vs the Axis in 1943 onwards, with only a single-player campaign. No idea how good it is, but 15 USD seems a little steep for that much content.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Apparently it's a beer-and-pretzels-ish Panzer General-like, only covering the Western Allies vs the Axis in 1943 onwards, with only a single-player campaign. No idea how good it is, but 15 USD seems a little steep for that much content.

Its on sale on steam for $9.74 USD until the 30th of November. I'm so tempted to pick it up for that price. But the lack of MP almost kills that for me.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

gradenko_2000 posted:

It claims to include supply lines, so there's that. Superficially Unity of Command was also an extremely limited PG-like so I suppose someone has to try it out for us to know.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For me the funniest thing about Matrix is how much they put into drm stupidity....and yet they have never plugged an exploit found in one game that has rendered all games and patches cracked. This isn't some super secret or hard thing to learn about either...if they ever spend time on Anti Piracy matters. I'd swear it was an excuse to justify prices "due to piracy" yet they never bitch about it. I mean Matrix is pants on retarded anyway, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised by their lack of insight in their DRM security.

Oh Warsaw to Paris delay was my screwup for a long time (I was doing 6 hour daily commutes). Sorry about that but I do recall sending it out finally.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

gfanikf posted:

For me the funniest thing about Matrix is how much they put into drm stupidity....and yet they have never plugged an exploit found in one game that has rendered all games and patches cracked. This isn't some super secret or hard thing to learn about either...if they ever spend time on Anti Piracy matters. I'd swear it was an excuse to justify prices "due to piracy" yet they never bitch about it. I mean Matrix is pants on retarded anyway, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised by their lack of insight in their DRM security.

Oh Warsaw to Paris delay was my screwup for a long time (I was doing 6 hour daily commutes). Sorry about that but I do recall sending it out finally.

Oh my god! A ggggggfanikf! *scooby doo running sounds*

You want to finish our SPMBT game?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gorilla Radio posted:

Oh my god! A ggggggfanikf! *scooby doo running sounds*

You want to finish our SPMBT game?

Can we start a new one?. Iran and Iraq basically turned into a WW1 meat grinder (which is accurate) and moving units would take forever due to opportunity fire. I'm up for some WWIII scenario or African Post Colonial conflict.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

gfanikf posted:

Can we start a new one?. Iran and Iraq basically turned into a WW1 meat grinder (which is accurate) and moving units would take forever due to opportunity fire. I'm up for some WWIII scenario or African Post Colonial conflict.

Taking this to PM.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
My dream is to merge this thread and the iOS thread where all discussion is on prices be it app prices or IAP. A nonstop discussion of money despite still playing, buying and supporting these games.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Necroneocon posted:

My dream is to merge this thread and the iOS thread where all discussion is on prices be it app prices or IAP. A nonstop discussion of money despite still playing, buying and supporting these games.

It is a sickness. We are addicts and our only dealer is a slap-happy pimp with aspergers.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gorilla Radio posted:

Taking this to PM.

I'm in for some MBT or WWII as well, if either of you are interested in more games. I've only ever played versus a human once, and it was WAAAAAY better than playing the AI.

None of my friends share my sickness, though. :downs:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Holiday Sales are up:
http://www.slitherinebravo.net/pr/HolidaySale2013/MG_MG_SALES_HolidaySale2013_CatalogMG_01.pdf

Most of it is pretty underwhelming, maybe I'll finally get Panzer Corps, or John Tiller's Battleground Civil War (does this still work on modern OSes/resolutions?) if Steam/GOG doesn't clean me out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://www.slitherinebravo.net/pr/HolidaySale2013/MG_MG_SALES_HolidaySale2013_CatalogMG_01.pdf

Most of it is pretty underwhelming, maybe I'll finally get Panzer Corps, or John Tiller's Battleground Civil War (does this still work on modern OSes/resolutions?) if Steam/GOG doesn't clean me out.

I think that Scourge of War just fell into my price bracket. Not actually sure about it though. It's just a bit too late for me to care.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Some of those price points are starting to look reasonable--I could see War in the Pacific on Steam for a price of $53. Under normal, non-sale conditions, but it's close.

More interesting to me will be Frozen Synapse and Unity of Command. Because I want to see what price Steam puts them at when its holiday sale starts, and what justification will be offered if/when Steam turns out to be cheaper.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Scrolling down this list I saw Witp and Witp:AE and thought wow, the original is still for sale but at least they discounted it to $20 which is almost reasonable. Nope, that was just what they knocked off the price, it's still $40 :negative:

Flipping through that list for actual deals:
Commander the Great War and both Decisive Campaigns games for $26 a pop is a decent deal.
War in the East for $52 is about as good as that's ever going to get if you're interested in it.
Alea Jacta Est for $16 is a good deal if you like the timeframe but hate yourself.
Unity of command is a great game but it'll be cheaper on steam.

Finally, Achtung Panzer Operation Star: I bought this game for $1.00 last April and I felt like I overpaid for it. Matrix is selling it on sale for $20.

Davin Valkri posted:

Some of those price points are starting to look reasonable--I could see War in the Pacific on Steam for a price of $53. Under normal, non-sale conditions, but it's close.

More interesting to me will be Frozen Synapse and Unity of Command. Because I want to see what price Steam puts them at when its holiday sale starts, and what justification will be offered if/when Steam turns out to be cheaper.

Unity of command has been on steam for $6.50 and Frozen Synapse has been $4.99 in past sales. Matrix can't match those prices because they apparently need to pay for some poor soul to change every price in their database by hand to run this sale.

uPen fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 25, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

I think that Decisive Campaigns are reasonable and fun games at that price and Command Ops is the one premium game I'd recommend (surprise! it's the only one with a demo).

As for the rest... a straight 1/3 off just isn't nearly enough to take me off the fence. If I really want something then I'm not going to wait until it's 1/3 off, and if I'm less enthused then I need to see 50% or more before I take a punt. And that's at steam prices.

e: if I had any confidence we could get a regular group playing then I'd suggest everyone going in on Scourge of War, but I think given the timezone splits that's unlikely.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 25, 2013

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Speaking abotu UOC I just tried to play it earlier on steam and it crashes the gently caress out every time I try to start it :mad:

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Does anybody here know something about Panzer General Online?
http://cf.panzergeneral.com/en-US

It's a closed beta - anyone in it? It looks like . . . quite a departure for the series. I want to believe that it will be a valid alternative to Panzer Corps and Open General, but it kinda looks like the usual F2P/browser game knockoff.

EDIT: Is it OK if I keep using this thread to ask WitP questions? From what I've seen, the Matrix forums don't seem as helpful as you guys.

I have a unit of Banshees (US Army Dauntless knockoffs) on Tulagi, with a level 1 airfield. They're set to 100% Naval Attack, but do jack poo poo every turn. They have supplies, the airfield is under capacity, and there are enemy task forces well within range. But for several turns they've done . . . nothing. Any idea why?

Myoclonic Jerk fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 25, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

I have a unit of Banshees (US Army Dauntless knockoffs) on Tulagi, with a level 1 airfield. They're set to 100% Naval Attack, but do jack poo poo every turn. They have supplies, the airfield is under capacity, and there are enemy task forces well within range. But for several turns they've done . . . nothing. Any idea why?

You do have things doing naval search nearby, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Does anybody here know something about Panzer General Online?
http://cf.panzergeneral.com/en-US

It's a closed beta - anyone in it? It looks like . . . quite a departure for the series. I want to believe that it will be a valid alternative to Panzer Corps and Open General, but it kinda looks like the usual F2P/browser game knockoff.

It looks like an online CCG, i guess.