Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
And we now have a trailer for the update! Which is due out in a few hours!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M8_GhhaDWI

What we're getting!

quote:

Two tracks - Drift Track and Mugello

3 NEW Cars - The Lotus 2-Eleven, the Pagani Zonda R and the Glickenhaus Competizione P4/5

Industrial Showroom

Really looking forward to driving the P4/5 and the Zonda. I think the Zonda will be great fun around Mugello and Silverstone Int. And to top it off I got a new power lead for my G27 so I'll be on the wheel again. Woo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Ho boy. DRIFT TIME.

corticalstim
Jan 9, 2005
Spent a lot of time running Assetto Corsa with a G25. Holy smoke, this is the best feeling sim I have played since LFS. Really, really incredible. Car selection is excellent so far, everything just feels so amazing on the wheel.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
This might not be the EXACT perfect thread to ask this in, but it's probably better than the Steam thread.
From 1 to Forza, how Forza is NFS:Shift 2? .5 Forzas? 1? I'm looking for as close to a Sim Racing game for PC as I can get while still being able to use a controller and not pay some weird subscription fee or whatever.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Quad posted:

This might not be the EXACT perfect thread to ask this in, but it's probably better than the Steam thread.
From 1 to Forza, how Forza is NFS:Shift 2? .5 Forzas? 1? I'm looking for as close to a Sim Racing game for PC as I can get while still being able to use a controller and not pay some weird subscription fee or whatever.

I'd say a 5. Its a different beast in handling, and I honestly rather dislike NFS:Shift 2 when using a controller. It has a huge deadzone that just outright isn't fun. I have a feeling there are mods out there though.

But, you do buy cars, you do them up, you race for money and more cars. Its fun, and you might love it, but I personally had issues with that series.

What I would give to just have Forza 5 on PC... Or something like that with Assetto Corsa physics. :dreams:

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

There was some sort of weird damping they added that annoyed a lot of people with gamepads, I'm pretty sure it was at least partially modded out. I think it's the most Forza you can get on the PC. Maybe .65 Forzas.

It has a much smaller car selection, but a far better track selection, and the camera was pretty cool. Also the AI players are total assholes who tend to ram you off the road. That was my biggest complaint. But I would still recommend it to someone who wants a PC racing game that works good on the gamepad.

corticalstim posted:

Spent a lot of time running Assetto Corsa with a G25. Holy smoke, this is the best feeling sim I have played since LFS. Really, really incredible. Car selection is excellent so far, everything just feels so amazing on the wheel.

I like the sounds/feel from the tire grip, like you can hear the tires chirp just like in a real car when you upshift and some of the cars feel like they do that kind of alternating road skipping grabbing thing instead of going straight to spinning your car around.

Imola is a really confusing track, I was trying to get down to that 1:55 Ferrari time listed in the achievements, but there's that really crazy double turn after the downhill and then trying to figure out how much I can smash into the chicane without spinning the car off the road.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 23, 2013

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Sorry but I didn't see this listed in the last few pages. Have the developers of Assetto Corsa said what other cars/tracks they want to/are going to add to the game? $40 just seems like a lot to ask for for what's available right now.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

kaujot posted:

Sorry but I didn't see this listed in the last few pages. Have the developers of Assetto Corsa said what other cars/tracks they want to/are going to add to the game? $40 just seems like a lot to ask for for what's available right now.

They're adding more content every two weeks. We know which ones (for the most part) are coming, we just don't know when.

Check out http://www.assettocorsa.net/officially-licensed-cars/ - but also don't forget about modding, though most of the time they can be rubbish until a good team gets its hands into it.

As for tracks, we know that we're getting

Drag strip
Germany circuit (I'm assuming Nürburgring GP)
“Autodromo di Monza” circuit
Silverstone
Silverstone International
Spa Francorchamps
Trento Bondone hill climb

To add to the once available already. Its a solid selection. And given they're all laser scanned (unless they're made up tracks, obviously), I'm really excited to race on them.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

:siren: Logitech G27 is $199 today on Amazon :siren:

Worth every penny , I got one as an upgrade from the Driving Force GT and it was a brilliant decision.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Nerdrock posted:

:siren: Logitech G27 is $199 today on Amazon :siren:

Worth every penny , I got one as an upgrade from the Driving Force GT and it was a brilliant decision.

Meanwhile on Amazon.co.uk it is literally more than double that cost :(

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
That's a great deal on a solid wheel.

I'm probably going to get a JEGS seat and slider brackets from Amazon for my wheel rig, at first glance they look decent enough for the low price. Prices escalate quickly for anything better, and local parts yards charge an arm and a leg for fart-filled moldy old car seats.

Any other ideas for sliding seats for around a hundred bucks?

EDIT:

I also just figured out how to turn off ABS and traction control in Assetto Corsa cars when you can't turn them off through the game menu: Ctrl-A and Ctrl-T. It makes the E30 so much more fun when the ABS nanny gets out of the way.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 25, 2013

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Just had my first go at AC, and I'm thoroughly impressed. The physics are great, the car lineup is already great. I think the only issues that might creep up are how many more varied tracks come out (stuff like Laguna Seca and Donnington) and how good the AI is. Aside from that, great driving sim. Makes me wish I had something better than a 6 year old poo poo logitech wheel.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Is multiplayer already available for AC?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

kaujot posted:

Is multiplayer already available for AC?

Not yet.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Game Stock Car 2013 is out, I've been following a sim racing guy Empty Box on YouTube and he heavily recommends it as "if you can only have one, get this". I'll give it a whirl once it finishes downloading and write up a trip report.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ringo Star Get posted:

Game Stock Car 2013 is out, I've been following a sim racing guy Empty Box on YouTube and he heavily recommends it as "if you can only have one, get this". I'll give it a whirl once it finishes downloading and write up a trip report.

I picked it up on his recommendation as well. It's pretty good. The FFB is great, and the AI pretty decent. Definitely worth the 25 bucks or so, especially as I'm a newbie to the series. Makes me want to pick up Formula Truck too.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if it's still going but pledging for the console versions will give you access to the PC version.

Is this still a thing? I wasn't aware of the project until they stopped allowing people to join, and I'd love to get in on this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They wanted to start the console investments "soon" a long while ago. SMS reaches CCP levels of Soon(tm) in that regard.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Ah, so it hasn't started yet. That's good, since I didn't notice anything about it on their website.

boondocksts
Sep 28, 2004
the blazing s4
Is anyone playing Project CARS? Can you still get access to the Beta builds?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

boondocksts posted:

Is anyone playing Project CARS? Can you still get access to the Beta builds?

I still have it installed, but its sitting on the wayside while I drive laps in Assetto Corsa.
But currently you can't buy into the beta. You may be able to again soon, but I've no idea when.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

PCARS is currently in an rear end-backwards situation in my opinion. That quasi finite element tire model is progressing well and has great potential, especially for things like what they call "tire chatter", where the tire's rapidly flipflopping between grip and slip on the edge depending on how the carcass deforms (you may hear this in races and car tests when the tire is "stutter-scrubbing"). I haven't seen any other game being able to do this.

However for some goddamn idiotic reason, they want to use the simpler tire model on a majority of the cars and only that quasi-FEM one on those cars they cannot seem to get under control. Which is dumb, because a) they still haven't been able to fix that lazy spin syndrome on the non-FEM tire model (i.e. when your back starts slipping, there's no way to get it under control anymore, even when the circumstances would allow it easily), and b) which is most puzzling, the quasi-FEM feels way better out of the box, the backend is more controllable and actually driftable for a change.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is why I ultimately like the console racing sims like Gran Turismo. Project Cars is great, and i've been there since day one, but they are so slow with everything, and they don't have the people or resources to make their ambitious project work.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

I just went though and spent a bit of time with iRacing, Asseto Corsa and PCARS one after another and I think know now why I'm not keen on PCARS.

It feels lifeless. Driving it feels like a chore. Or like going to the dentist. Its just not fun, even skating around in the Pagani Huayra just isn't as much fun as lapping in the Pagani Zonda R in Assetto. In Assetto, the car feels alive - like you're taming a beast and with every flying lap and perfect corner you get a massive endorphin rush. Its so much fun. The roadcars in PCARS are alright, but they'll all still feel a bit off. As if somebody cover each and every track in motor oil. The only certain amount of fun I get out of PCARS in lapping the 'ring. And if Assetto ever gets that I'll be struggling to find a reason to have PCARS installed at all.

iRacing is good, but its a different beast all together given that its a multiplayer focused sim. Though I feel like it just doesn't click with me and I'm not sure why I keep resubbing, but I guess its that chance at a good fun race with people.

So in short. Buy Assetto Corsa :cheeky: because once MP is in its going to be a blast!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Assetto Corsa doesn't have enough content. :( iRacing manages to have too much content but its pricing structure is absurd, and PCARS still feels really weird to play.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
iRacing isn't too bad if you pick a path you want to go down and stick with it.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Assetto Corsa has a well represented Mugello which is a big plus. Managed a 1:51.120 in the P4/5.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Did my Project Cars thread go into the archives by the way? I feel bad I didn't keep it updated. :( Now I don't even know where to look anymore to see whats been new for content. As far as I can tell though there really have been no new cars or tracks added. Also driving on Bathurst crashes the game for me anyways, killing all of my motivation to play.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

^^^ Probably not that much of an issue, since there wasn't going on much and there haven't been significant announcements anymore.

tehsid posted:

It feels lifeless. Driving it feels like a chore. Or like going to the dentist. Its just not fun, even skating around in the Pagani Huayra just isn't as much fun as lapping in the Pagani Zonda R in Assetto. In Assetto, the car feels alive - like you're taming a beast and with every flying lap and perfect corner you get a massive endorphin rush. Its so much fun. The roadcars in PCARS are alright, but they'll all still feel a bit off. As if somebody cover each and every track in motor oil. The only certain amount of fun I get out of PCARS in lapping the 'ring. And if Assetto ever gets that I'll be struggling to find a reason to have PCARS installed at all.
That's what I mean. Take the Lotus 49 for instance. On the ModalCarcass (which is the simpler one I referred to) it feels pretty meh and is borderline uncontrollable on the default setup. On FlexiCarcass (which is the quasi FEM one, i.e. it simulates a carcass in 3D space) it's way more lively and on the edge without spinning out every drat time. Understeer is also more progressive than black and white, which I suppose is what you mean by oiled up tracks. So I don't understand their internal resistance to going all out on FlexiCarcass.

(You need to create custom setups and specifically select these tires, and they're only available for a few cars only.)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey so Asetto Corsa plays really nicely on the PS4 gamepad. It's scratching that itch that Forza 5 should've done and for much cheaper. Is there an expected release date for the game itself?

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Did my Project Cars thread go into the archives by the way? I feel bad I didn't keep it updated. :( Now I don't even know where to look anymore to see whats been new for content. As far as I can tell though there really have been no new cars or tracks added. Also driving on Bathurst crashes the game for me anyways, killing all of my motivation to play.

I know they added some Mclaren's in a few weeks ago, but I don't think any tracks have been added in for a while. They've been pumping patches (close to one every one or two days) out via Steam like crazy though.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Mootallica posted:

I know they added some Mclaren's in a few weeks ago, but I don't think any tracks have been added in for a while. They've been pumping patches (close to one every one or two days) out via Steam like crazy though.

I think most of the steam patches have to do with the focus testing they've been doing on individual cars for the past few months. Some of the car cockpits are getting ridiculous detail now, like its pretty cool but I'm not sure what the point is in modeling stuff hidden under the passenger side dash like fuse boxes and ECUs unless there's supposed to be an autovista like mode in the game.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

PCARS has some degree of Oculus Rift support already. The cockpit details are probably for this.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
P4/5 laptime for Mugello now down to 1:47.864. What a car.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Falken posted:

P4/5 laptime for Mugello now down to 1:47.864. What a car.

I love the difference between the p4/5, the Zonda R and the Abarth series racer. Ridiculous power vs high downforce vs balance. I'm getting similar 1:50 times with all three. I'm loving the downforce modelling in this game, most games get it wrong at low speeds. So much fun to just keep the pedal to the metal and manage to get through turns you know you couldn't take at lower speeds/with a conventional car.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I finally got iRacing, holy poo poo is it good. Playing with a gamepad for now, but I have a Logitech G27 being shipped to me right now.

Why did I wait this long? :psyduck:

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

I finally got iRacing, holy poo poo is it good. Playing with a gamepad for now, but I have a Logitech G27 being shipped to me right now.

Why did I wait this long? :psyduck:

You don't even know if it's good yet. Wait until you get the G27, you'll just laugh at your post.

It's a new world with a wheel....

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Where did you start with iRacing? I've been looking into that myself (G27 should be here today :D) and don't know where I should begin.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Maybe it would be a good idea for you two to play GSC, rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, or any of the older sims that aren't almost entirely dependent on online racing for fun. You'd get a hell of a lot more content and you would save yourself the pain of being a bumbling ding dong that crashes all the time. It would certainly make you a standout in the low rungs of iRacing, should you eventually choose to get more serious.

At least drive solo a bunch so you get used to the wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Drunk Badger posted:

Where did you start with iRacing? I've been looking into that myself (G27 should be here today :D) and don't know where I should begin.

Just do practice laps in the MX5 and the Pontiac Solstice, around Lime Rock park until you get a feel for the cars, then move on to Summit Point Raceway and Laguna Seca in time, if road racing is your thing. Currently the Mazda cup running (the multiplayer event you'll be able to enter with your starting rating) is on Summit Point, but I wouldn't go entering right away, as you'll kill your ratio for every crash, offtrack and mistake you make. Your ratio decided what events you can enter is a VERY important part of the game.

Just get a feel for the car. Also, I don't believe you lose any rating for doing practice racing with real people, so feel free to do that to get used to people once you've learned the car and tracks.

One thing with iRacing. Don't rush. Just take your time with it and get comfortable. Because once you hit a real MP race you've got a whole lot more to worry about then just the car handling and the track layout.

• Locked thread