Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Why not just find one or two solid picks you believe in next so you aren't spreading your money too thin and can keep transaction costs down while being able to more closely monitor your picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jngshin2
Nov 14, 2013

MussoliniB posted:

NQ: NQ Mobile Inc. A China-based smart phone privacy software company.

If you picked out NQ on your own...good job.

NQ made me a lot of money after that Muddy Waters BS.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

jngshin2 posted:

If you picked out NQ on your own...good job.

NQ made me a lot of money after that Muddy Waters BS.

I did! And thank you, and it did. I just really wish I had thousands and thousands of dollars to put in it, but alas, the woes of a beginning investor.

There's one thing that I don't understand about one of my stocks, and that's MITK. All the news in the past couple of months have been nothing but stellar, early adopters, US Bank signing on, no direct competitors, millions of new users, and their Q3 Financials were great. Why on Earth is this stock falling every single day? I really can't wrap my head around it, is there something that I'm missing that one of the veterans can point out?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

MussoliniB posted:

I did! And thank you, and it did. I just really wish I had thousands and thousands of dollars to put in it, but alas, the woes of a beginning investor.

There's one thing that I don't understand about one of my stocks, and that's MITK. All the news in the past couple of months have been nothing but stellar, early adopters, US Bank signing on, no direct competitors, millions of new users, and their Q3 Financials were great. Why on Earth is this stock falling every single day? I really can't wrap my head around it, is there something that I'm missing that one of the veterans can point out?

It's up 15% in the last 30 days...you want more?

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

MussoliniB posted:

It's up over 100% in the past year and it's selling for well over 10x price to sales.

As has been mentioned, it's not yet profitable. At this point, it's a lottery ticket. It could drop by 50% tomorrow and anyone who bought it last November would still be at break even.

From my perspective, knowing almost nothing about MITK, but knowing a little bit about small cap/micro cap growth-type companies, this is the kind of company you either try to swing trade for a few months as it's getting more popular, or something you tranche into and hope it goes up 10 fold over a period of a few years.

I guess the question is, what's your plan?

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
Sold off Green Mountain Coffee before their quarterly results were posted at 5 pm, ended up announcing better than expected quarter. Oh well, sold at 150% gain over past year.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

tiananman posted:

It's up over 100% in the past year and it's selling for well over 10x price to sales.

As has been mentioned, it's not yet profitable. At this point, it's a lottery ticket. It could drop by 50% tomorrow and anyone who bought it last November would still be at break even.

From my perspective, knowing almost nothing about MITK, but knowing a little bit about small cap/micro cap growth-type companies, this is the kind of company you either try to swing trade for a few months as it's getting more popular, or something you tranche into and hope it goes up 10 fold over a period of a few years.

I guess the question is, what's your plan?

I am a long-term investor, for sure. I'm 27 and all the money I have in the stock market at the moment could go down to zero, and, though I would be sad, I wouldn't really care. It'd just be a lesson learned. I believe that my entire portfolio is full of stocks that are long term stocks, and newer services. I will hang on to MITK.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
this is one of ZH's more believable theories:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-11-20/did-bill-dudley-just-unveil-feds-real-taper-scapegoat-plan

student loans are the next train wreck, if fed starts doing to student loans what they did to mbs's they can "solve" a lot of problems at once. they can't keep monetizing USTs for much longer.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

nebby posted:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-11-20/did-bill-dudley-just-unveil-feds-real-taper-scapegoat-plan

student loans are the next train wreck, if fed starts doing to student loans what they did to mbs's they can "solve" a lot of problems at once. they can't keep monetizing USTs for much longer.

ZH isn't the first to come up with it, there are quite a few more reputable sources laying it out there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yes, please buy my student debt and let me refinance at a lower rate as if it were a mortgage.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?

nebby posted:

Does he writes believable things at all?

lol

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014
Here's a fun little hypothetical that I've been asking myself lately: How much fallout would the markets experience if tech bubble 2.0 pops during the next year? Do you think it'd be similar to the 2000 crash? Also, if it pops what stocks would you be poised to buy while everyone is exiting the market?

I'll answer this myself when I'm home from work.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Lelorox posted:

Here's a fun little hypothetical that I've been asking myself lately: How much fallout would the markets experience if tech bubble 2.0 pops during the next year? Do you think it'd be similar to the 2000 crash? Also, if it pops what stocks would you be poised to buy while everyone is exiting the market?

I'll answer this myself when I'm home from work.
It'll be the same but different. As long as there are people saying "I can't wait for the crash so I can buy everything up", a crash isn't going to happen. Some real poo poo needs to hit the fan that will cause people to be genuinely afraid of stocks. For it to be profitable it is going to need to hurt and seem like a terrible idea to buy stocks. I'm holding mostly bonds right now, and it hurts and seems like a terrible idea, but I have an investment thesis and I am sticking to it.

I think if we see a big crash it will be due to some type of currency-related issue and widespread panic that the US dollar and US enterprises on the whole are in big trouble. We could see a mini-crash if the fed mis-steps and causes a momentum-based drop in the market that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon since there are plenty of people who see that as a "buying opportunity." Really, if a crash happens, it won't be due to anything we can guess here, it will be something genuinely scary and new.

The tech bubble popped because people wised up to the fact that the future cash flows from internet based businesses was far from certain and most of them were shown to be insolvent upon closer inspection. The recent tech IPOs are not anywhere near this situation. In many ways the tech bubble *was* warranted, it was just a decade too early. Companies like Amazon and Google are generating the kinds of cash flows that were being priced in for all Internet businesses in the 90's.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
This "tech bubble" is nothing like the 2000s. Even the private investing scene is far different, and it's really tightened up from a couple years ago.

Basically what nebby said.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

nebby posted:

It'll be the same but different. As long as there are people saying "I can't wait for the crash so I can buy everything up", a crash isn't going to happen. Some real poo poo needs to hit the fan that will cause people to be genuinely afraid of stocks. For it to be profitable it is going to need to hurt and seem like a terrible idea to buy stocks. I'm holding mostly bonds right now, and it hurts and seems like a terrible idea, but I have an investment thesis and I am sticking to it.

I think if we see a big crash it will be due to some type of currency-related issue and widespread panic that the US dollar and US enterprises on the whole are in big trouble. We could see a mini-crash if the fed mis-steps and causes a momentum-based drop in the market that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon since there are plenty of people who see that as a "buying opportunity." Really, if a crash happens, it won't be due to anything we can guess here, it will be something genuinely scary and new.

The tech bubble popped because people wised up to the fact that the future cash flows from internet based businesses was far from certain and most of them were shown to be insolvent upon closer inspection. The recent tech IPOs are not anywhere near this situation. In many ways the tech bubble *was* warranted, it was just a decade too early. Companies like Amazon and Google are generating the kinds of cash flows that were being priced in for all Internet businesses in the 90's.

Mention of Fed raising rates causes wobbles in emerging markets and a race to the Euro and dollar. It's going to be interesting to see what happens when they actually start raising rates.

pizzlemank
Sep 27, 2013
What would happen is the student debt bubbled? Its not like there is underlying asset with the subprime where houses were at risk. What am I missing here? Hope this is not a real stupid question.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
I've wondered about that too. I suppose it would be very difficult for new students to get a non-subsidized loan, and maybe the schools would be hurting from fewer students, but it seems it would just be the banks that loaned $40k to too many people majoring in art appreciation that would take the worst of it?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

pizzlemank posted:

What would happen is the student debt bubbled? Its not like there is underlying asset with the subprime where houses were at risk. What am I missing here? Hope this is not a real stupid question.

The mayhem from subprime wasn't necessarily the crash in housing prices but 1) the inability of homeowners to keep refinancing their unsustainable debt and 2) liquidity issues at the financial institutions exposed to it

Is it possible the same institutions aren't well hedged against a mass student loan default? sure. But I think the more likely problem is the fact that the demographic responsible for most of GDP growth won't be able to spend for decades, unemployment stays meh and deflation persists

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

scavok posted:

I've wondered about that too. I suppose it would be very difficult for new students to get a non-subsidized loan, and maybe the schools would be hurting from fewer students, but it seems it would just be the banks that loaned $40k to too many people majoring in art appreciation that would take the worst of it?

A lot of schools have expanded very rapidly (both school buildings and dorms), with the expectations that student enrollment will keep rising. All of this was done with debt. That debt needs students to pay it back.

Here is a great article about the subject in PA. If students stop going to college, it is going to get NASTY.

http://www.post-gazette.com/education/2012/10/07/The-Other-College-Debt-Upgrades-put-Pennsylvania-schools-in-a-bind/stories/201210070238

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

abagofcheetos posted:

A lot of schools have expanded very rapidly (both school buildings and dorms), with the expectations that student enrollment will keep rising. All of this was done with debt. That debt needs students to pay it back.

Here is a great article about the subject in PA. If students stop going to college, it is going to get NASTY.

http://www.post-gazette.com/education/2012/10/07/The-Other-College-Debt-Upgrades-put-Pennsylvania-schools-in-a-bind/stories/201210070238

Might be an issue for the schools, but nothing more than a blip on the broader markets. Nobody is heavily invested in "educational institution debt" or anything...

quote:

The mayhem from subprime wasn't necessarily the crash in housing prices but 1) the inability of homeowners to keep refinancing their unsustainable debt and 2) liquidity issues at the financial institutions exposed to it

Is it possible the same institutions aren't well hedged against a mass student loan default? sure. But I think the more likely problem is the fact that the demographic responsible for most of GDP growth won't be able to spend for decades, unemployment stays meh and deflation persists
Many private institutions are getting out of student loans. If there is any crisis in that market the government is going to get nailed, not the private sector.

El Pato
Jul 2, 2007

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Quick question

Do we talk about intraday trading in here? And if so, what do you guys think of trading stocks from Brazil and Canada?

I recently began trading in a prop firm, but one month after joining and trading US stock, the owner decided he wanted us to trade either Brazil or Canada stock. Its so goddamn slow.

f2a
Feb 17, 2005

the pound is stronger than the dolla, holla

El Pato posted:

Quick question

Do we talk about intraday trading in here? And if so, what do you guys think of trading stocks from Brazil and Canada?

I recently began trading in a prop firm, but one month after joining and trading US stock, the owner decided he wanted us to trade either Brazil or Canada stock. Its so goddamn slow.

Are there exchange rebates, and are these being passed on to you?

El Pato
Jul 2, 2007

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

f2a posted:

Are there exchange rebates, and are these being passed on to you?

Yeah, on US and Canadian stock I get paid for limit orders and I pay for market orders, in Brazil I pay for limited and market orders. Is this what you meant?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In the United States, student loan debt is non-dischargable in a bankruptcy. This makes it incredibly difficult for debtors to do anything besides eventually pay off their loans, even if that means racking up tons of fees and penalties while in default. It is one of the reasons the student loan debt bubble is so sustainable.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Leperflesh posted:

In the United States, student loan debt is non-dischargable in a bankruptcy. This makes it incredibly difficult for debtors to do anything besides eventually pay off their loans, even if that means racking up tons of fees and penalties while in default. It is one of the reasons the student loan debt bubble is so sustainable.

For those reasons I never understood why the rates were as high as they are.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Foma posted:

They didn't used to be that high. Mine are 2.3% and I went to school in the early 2000s. But I agree with you.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I thought they just changed the student loan market in the last several years? I haven't really been paying attention so I don't know what rates have been like.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

lightpole posted:

I thought they just changed the student loan market in the last several years? I haven't really been paying attention so I don't know what rates have been like.

If by "changed" you mean "prevented it from going from horrendous to downright oppressive," yeah, they changed it.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Have some shares of CACQ. Getting some love today, probably because NJ Online Poker comes live.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
My spidey sense says twitter's ipo hype is done and the stock will now slowly collapse "like a flan in a cupboard." Bought March $38 puts.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Inverse Icarus posted:

If by "changed" you mean "prevented it from going from horrendous to downright oppressive," yeah, they changed it.

I just remember reading something about it but not what it was. I thought the loan market had changed. Either way, tuition has been rising extremely fast as university's bring all sorts of student amenities that usually don't bring more value to degrees. Combine that with stagnant or falling wages and high graduate unemployment and a very large debt you can't get rid of... Car use by the young is falling at the same time as they move back home with their parents after graduation. They are delaying big decisions like buying a home and starting a family. These trends aren't due just to student loan debt but the trend is worrying.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Foma posted:

How much of your investment portfolio is in unsecured loans to 18 years olds with no assets and who may or may not have any semblance of a cash flow if they ever graduate (maybe)?

A student loan is like giving a teenager a credit card and expecting them to build a profitable business with it. Nobody is going to make such loans unless there are incentives (e.g. huge interest rates) or the government completely guarantees it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Cheesemaster200 posted:

How much of your investment portfolio is in unsecured loans to 18 years olds with no assets and who may or may not have any semblance of a cash flow if they ever graduate (maybe)?

A student loan is like giving a teenager a credit card and expecting them to build a profitable business with it. Nobody is going to make such loans unless there are incentives (e.g. huge interest rates) or the government completely guarantees it.

It never goes away though.

We are talking about loaning said 18 year old with nothing $20000+. Those debts can easily climb out of control and never be discharged in bankruptcy. Upon graduation you now have a looming avalanche of debt. What 18 year old ever thinks of this? Most don't even make decent decisions concerning their education or future prospects in the first place.

On graduation, those people with large debts don't have much choice but to grab as much money as they can as quick as they can, limiting choices from the bottom to the top. Doctors and lawyers have to go straight to whatever money they can find instead of taking time to volunteer or go into lower paying government jobs.

I don't like the current system and since its already back stopped by the government I would prefer changes to loan payments or forgiveness of some type so there is a bit more freedom or career options. We don't need to give everyone a free liberal arts degree but the current system is broken.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Seriously I would drop $10-20k in student loan debt if I got the rates students get today with the legal protections they have (non-dischargable).

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
I just noticed that Mac-Gray, a company I discovered 2 1/2 years ago, just agreed last month to be acquired for about a 40% premium over its market price. Unfortunately, its share price hasn't done very well in the intervening 2 1/2 years, while the small cap index is up 40% over the same period, so now they're basically even again.

Is 2 1/2 years early the same thing as wrong?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

lightpole posted:

It never goes away though.

We are talking about loaning said 18 year old with nothing $20000+. Those debts can easily climb out of control and never be discharged in bankruptcy. Upon graduation you now have a looming avalanche of debt. What 18 year old ever thinks of this? Most don't even make decent decisions concerning their education or future prospects in the first place.

On graduation, those people with large debts don't have much choice but to grab as much money as they can as quick as they can, limiting choices from the bottom to the top. Doctors and lawyers have to go straight to whatever money they can find instead of taking time to volunteer or go into lower paying government jobs.

I don't like the current system and since its already back stopped by the government I would prefer changes to loan payments or forgiveness of some type so there is a bit more freedom or career options. We don't need to give everyone a free liberal arts degree but the current system is broken.

If you could discharge student debt in bankruptcy, everyone would do it.

If I graduated from college with $200k in student debt, not a dime to my name, and was unemployed, my next stop after commencement would be the district court to file for Chapter 7. Only an idiot would keep that debt if they could otherwise discharge it. Likewise, somehow "delaying" the potential discharge would only raise interest rates in the long run. Nobody wants to invest money into something where there is a good chance that they will lose most of their principle after a 10 year period without the subsequent return.

I don't like having a mountain of student loans any more than the next guy and I understand the social problems it creates, but as far as I can see there is little that can be done about it without some massive negative side effects.

quote:

Seriously I would drop $10-20k in student loan debt if I got the rates students get today with the legal protections they have (non-dischargable).

Go for it:
https://www.salliemae.com/about/investors/debtasset/
https://www.google.com/finance?q=SLM

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I am not entirely a fan of getting rid of the bankruptcy part either but there are better ways to handle it. Give a bigger grace period, allow part of the loan to be forgiven by some type of public service or the whole thing after say 20 years. Loans are very easy to come by which has also driven the rise in tuition.

Either way, the size and scope have the potential to be a sticky situation.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Depends on what you read, the supposed default rate is already at like 15% of student loans. With the absurd penalties you read about (miss a payment, 25% penalty), there's pretty much no way to dig yourself out even if you get solid employment out of it.

f2a
Feb 17, 2005

the pound is stronger than the dolla, holla

El Pato posted:

Yeah, on US and Canadian stock I get paid for limit orders and I pay for market orders, in Brazil I pay for limited and market orders. Is this what you meant?

Yes, I was just wondering what the appeal of Brazilian stocks was. Some less reputable firms might have their traders trade products with generous rebate schemes, and then keep the rebates for themselves. Lots of breakeven traders would then give them a profitable business model...

Incidentally, what kind of prop firm are we talking about? Don't need to name names, just wondering if it's a proper salaried job, or a free shot at earning a percentage of profits, or they want you to put money down/pay for "training".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hey guys, I'm back.

So mom and I were talking, and she really really really wants me to learn technical analysis and "use it to make money on the side" (her words). I am of a different mind because I think she and dad are mistaken on what kind of gains I could make and on this actually being worth it if it's not a full-time job. My argument is that it's way more worth it for my future to instead invest money into a Vanguard index fund and not constantly gently caress with it. Basically, I say that it's not nearly as lucrative as they think it is especially since I don't have any high-frequency trading tools; they say that it's perfectly doable for a human if they're attached to a computer all day.

I'm proposing a compromise: I will "learn technical analysis" (or whatever their impression of it is) and use seed money to practice if it's matched by the same amount of money invested into shares of VTSAX. They're not happy with it, so I still need to convince them of the idea. Before that, though, I have some questions about serious (as opposed to mom 'n pop) stock trading. My part of the deal is that I genuinely get a good grasp on the "trading world", and speaking to people with firsthand experience seems like the best thing to do.

How much of a time investment is necessary to actually make good (or any) gains from this? Doesn't it seem like at the beginning, I'm not likely to make beaucoup buxx for a good long while? The return on investment on this seems really bad, especially with the way they approach trading: entirely by hand. Which leads me to my next point...

If the entire "point" of technical analysis and trading is to respond to specific statistical markers within very short periods of time (milliseconds, almost), shouldn't I have my computer do it instead of trying to do it by hand? My parents' approach so far has been checking their stocks every night, seeing what the RSI/SMA/Bollinger bands/Eliot waves say, and then deciding to buy or sell based on that (unless things didn't go as they expected, in which case they freak out and dump everything). Isn't this way more inefficient and nowhere near as effective as having a computer program handle it instead?

Personally, I'm wary of the whole "stick to the numbers only ever" approach, cause I think it's way too reductive and narrowly-focused to be realistic. TA is a tool - a really good tool when it's used correctly. But in this case, it isn't. And it's one thing to let my parents hemorrhage money on stupid poo poo, but if I'm gonna be doing any of it I want it to go well.

And yes, I know, "why do you keep asking this poo poo if you're so against it, just tell them to gently caress off", and if they weren't using us kids' money or trying to draw me into it I wouldn't care at all, but for the life of me I cannot convince them that they have no idea what they're doing. If they won't listen to me, maybe they'll listen to someone else.