Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That would make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

QPZIL posted:

All this time, I...

...I, uh, I may have been using my 3 planes with the iron in upside-down. :smith:

What exactly do you have? Most block planes are bevel up and most bench planes are bevel down.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

JEEVES420 posted:

its when people become complacent that accidents happen.

And it is for this reason exactly that I convinced the guy I work for to buy a Saw Stop for work. I'll post pictures later, but I spent most of the afternoon setting it up.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Skinny Bins posted:

...being afraid of your tools is probably the worst attitude to have.

JEEVES420 posted:

its when people become complacent that accidents happen. Its good to have a little fear of tools.

I agree with both. Experienced people get hurt when they become complacent but people also get hurt because fear makes them timid. Tablesaws are ferocious animals and the last thing you want to be is timid; and if you don't respect the saw it will teach you. :gibs:

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Against my better judgment, I used a coupon to buy this little Harbor Freight pinner: http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/nailers-staplers/23-gauge-pin-nailer-68022.html

Imagine my surprise when, after taking the thing apart and tweaking it, then using Porter Cable pins, it's become my reliable go-to for trim and carcase work. Best $20 I've spent on a tool in a long time. Have only run about 1000 pins through the thing, and it's limited to 1" pins, but it is absolutely awesome for moulding or tacking something together while the glue sets instead of using clamps.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Welcome to the forums, Mr. Vila!

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Tim Thomas posted:

Against my better judgment, I used a coupon to buy this little Harbor Freight pinner: http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/nailers-staplers/23-gauge-pin-nailer-68022.html

Imagine my surprise when, after taking the thing apart and tweaking it, then using Porter Cable pins, it's become my reliable go-to for trim and carcase work. Best $20 I've spent on a tool in a long time. Have only run about 1000 pins through the thing, and it's limited to 1" pins, but it is absolutely awesome for moulding or tacking something together while the glue sets instead of using clamps.

I bought the same pinner on Ebay for crazy cheap and hate it. It jams most of the time and when it doesn't, it doesn't set the nails, they're proud 1/16 or more. Ive only used the nails it came with though, might try higher quality ones like you did. I might have just got a dud also

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Use Porter Cable pins, the HF ones are out of spec and are like 22.5 gauge. Check the way the hammer/firing pin is interfacing with the pinway at the nose. Mine was a hair out of alignment that I was able to tweak back.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Thanks, Ill do that. Would be nice to have it working properly

I browse Craigslist often and those in the SF Bay Area might be interested in this Unisaw for $300 http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/4209881033.html . I probably would buy it if I didn't already have a near identical saw

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

dwoloz posted:

Thanks, Ill do that. Would be nice to have it working properly

I browse Craigslist often and those in the SF Bay Area might be interested in this Unisaw for $300 http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/4209881033.html . I probably would buy it if I didn't already have a near identical saw

oh man I want that but have no room, gently caress

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
Tell me if I'm crazy.

I currently have no workshop and all my tools (incl. 14" delta bandsaw, 6" jointer, dust collector, midi lathe, miter saw, air compressor, assorted smaller tools) are stored in my living room and kitchen and rolled out to my front porch/patio for use. I also have a beautiful powermatic cabinet saw stored over at a buddy's garage.

The plan to reclaim my living space is to build a small garage/shop in my backyard. I've been working thru the permit process and plan to get the foundation poured in January with me doing the rest. I'm figuring it'll take me at least two months working weekends but realistically, it'll probably be longer.

So with all that and knowing I have no where to put it, am I crazy for considering this? http://austin.craigslist.org/tls/4169889323.html I waaaaaaaant it; it's a big bandsaw and a powermatic but it'd have to go in someone's garage for several months. Should I wait? It seems like a pretty good deal and the seller frequently posts on LumberJocks and seems to know his poo poo so I figure it's probably in good shape. Argh. I've been going back and forth on this for a couple of weeks now (and he's dropped the price so he must not have gotten any bites yet)

tl;dr - I want something expensive I have no room for.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Get it and sell on your smaller one to make room? Get it and rent a storage locker for it in the interim? Get it and use it as a dining table?

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

thespaceinvader posted:

Get it and sell on your smaller one to make room? Get it and rent a storage locker for it in the interim? Get it and use it as a dining table?

I think I can find someplace to store it but I guess I'm trying to decide if it's a good enough deal that I should go ahead and splurge or if it makes more sense to wait until after my shop is built because maybe something just as good will come along? Or it won't and I'll keep regret no having got it. If I buy it, I will have to rent a truck and figure out how to load it so that's an additional cost. Also, I'm not cash flush right now tho' I can swing it; I've got a bunch of cash coming in after the New Year so I'd only be tight for a little while although it'd be during Christmas.

Argh, see this is how I keep going back and forth in my head about it. Big purchases always mean a lot of angst for me.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

t_violet posted:

Want = don't buy

Need = yes buy

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I finally made a dovetail joint last night that I'm fairly proud of :3:

Then again, I was using whitewood/spruce, and it chipped all to hell when I so much as looked at it funny, so it looks a little homely... BUT. Now I feel confident working on a hardwood project that will actually end up looking decent.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ Draw your joints, then scribe them as deep as you can. This will really help with chipping (assuming you're not already doing this).

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
Skimmed the OP and a bit of the thread so apologies if this is a terrible question. I've been looking for a small project to keep me busy and would love a small woodworking project. I live in an NYC apartment and don't have any studio access/knowledge and am a rank beginner. I would love to have something small that I could fiddle with in my apartment using hand tools or anything with a low entry cost. I just want to keep myself busy, and maybe learn a few neat things in the process. Any suggestions?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

E-Money posted:

Skimmed the OP and a bit of the thread so apologies if this is a terrible question. I've been looking for a small project to keep me busy and would love a small woodworking project. I live in an NYC apartment and don't have any studio access/knowledge and am a rank beginner. I would love to have something small that I could fiddle with in my apartment using hand tools or anything with a low entry cost. I just want to keep myself busy, and maybe learn a few neat things in the process. Any suggestions?

When I got into woodworking, I started with two projects: a box to hold one of my board games, and a puzzle cube (like a Soma cube). The former was made out of 3/8" plywood and 5-minute epoxy, the latter out of poplar and 5-minute epoxy. For the puzzle cube you'd need to find some way to get a "board" with a square cross-section, but once you have that you can cut the cubes off with a hand miter saw. Plywood can be cut with a standard wood saw as long as you have something to clamp it to (and clamps, of course). You'll probably need practice to get a sufficiently straight cut.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When I got into woodworking, I started with two projects: a box to hold one of my board games, and a puzzle cube (like a Soma cube). The former was made out of 3/8" plywood and 5-minute epoxy, the latter out of poplar and 5-minute epoxy. For the puzzle cube you'd need to find some way to get a "board" with a square cross-section, but once you have that you can cut the cubes off with a hand miter saw. Plywood can be cut with a standard wood saw as long as you have something to clamp it to (and clamps, of course). You'll probably need practice to get a sufficiently straight cut.

Sounds smart - that's a good idea. I was also leaning towards some kind of wood carving/whittling project too. The internet says there are lots of different books and places to start (ball in a cage, chains, spoons, etc) so maybe I'll give something like that a shot.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

E-Money posted:

One of my favorite tools is my 15$ stanley hand miter saw+box. It makes clean, sharp cuts at the desired angle. Cheap and you could fit the saw and box both into a desk drawer. I made a "In case of zombies break glass" box with crowbar with mine and while it's not perfect, I can look at it anytime and feel good about it. The other tool I'd recommend would be a handheld drill. I personally use corded tools only, it makes it so you only buy the ones you want. You can do a lot of good work with a small saw, a drill, some drill bits, and a bit of sandpaper.

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!

E-Money posted:

Sounds smart - that's a good idea. I was also leaning towards some kind of wood carving/whittling project too. The internet says there are lots of different books and places to start (ball in a cage, chains, spoons, etc) so maybe I'll give something like that a shot.

Carving is definitely an excellent place to start for anyone who wants to work with wood. It can require as little or as many tools as you wish. Carving is also an excellent way to get a feel for how wood behaves. All you really need is a clamp or vise to hold your workpiece and a chisel or two to get started. Of course it takes a while to get the hang of, but the sky is the limit.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Uncle Enzo posted:

One of my favorite tools is my 15$ stanley hand miter saw+box. It makes clean, sharp cuts at the desired angle. Cheap and you could fit the saw and box both into a desk drawer. I made a "In case of zombies break glass" box with crowbar with mine and while it's not perfect, I can look at it anytime and feel good about it. The other tool I'd recommend would be a handheld drill. I personally use corded tools only, it makes it so you only buy the ones you want. You can do a lot of good work with a small saw, a drill, some drill bits, and a bit of sandpaper.

Awesome, thanks all for the quick responses. Already have a cordless drill and a number of bits from various projects around the house, so sounds like I could start things small and cheap.

re: whittling/carving, are there any particularly good books to get started, or just grab one and get working? I'd much rather have a few hand-hold-y projects that spell everything out for me before I just go off on my own and start messing around.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

E-Money posted:

Awesome, thanks all for the quick responses. Already have a cordless drill and a number of bits from various projects around the house, so sounds like I could start things small and cheap.

re: whittling/carving, are there any particularly good books to get started, or just grab one and get working? I'd much rather have a few hand-hold-y projects that spell everything out for me before I just go off on my own and start messing around.

I'm not a huge woodworker, but I just jumped in with stuff I wanted to make that seemed easy enough. You can find tons of step-by-step guides online that give really good instructions. Youtube is another great source, I often just go there and type in "How to blah blah" and watch a couple videos of people who look like they know what they're doing. If they all recommend the same or similar ways, that's probably the right way to do it. If someone seems like a moron and/or it looks like they just missed cutting off their fingers, I don't do it that way.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

E-Money posted:

Make a small coffee table (or some similar useful piece of furniture). In my experience it's a lot more satisfying to make something useful than just to make something.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Chip carving requires one knife and wood, not much simpler than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RukU6jgSaQ

There should also be a full episode from a recent season if you search for it.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

wormil posted:

Want = don't buy

Need = yes buy

See, that's the kinda advice I was looking for. But I do have stuff (about 50 bf of 8/4 maple) to resaw that my current bandsaw won't fit although I don't have immediate plans for it. (Ok, it's becoming really obvious to me that I'm desperately trying to find an excuse to buy this bandsaw even tho' I think I shouldn't)

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Tim Thomas posted:

Use Porter Cable pins, the HF ones are out of spec and are like 22.5 gauge. Check the way the hammer/firing pin is interfacing with the pinway at the nose. Mine was a hair out of alignment that I was able to tweak back.

Good news everyone! I bought the PC pin nails and it stopped jamming. Ok, one problem down, now to tackle it not setting the nails. Ended up filing down the nose of the nailer (took off quite a bit) and eureka! Did the trick, works perfectly now

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

t_violet posted:

Tell me if I'm crazy.

I currently have no workshop and all my tools (incl. 14" delta bandsaw, 6" jointer, dust collector, midi lathe, miter saw, air compressor, assorted smaller tools) are stored in my living room and kitchen and rolled out to my front porch/patio for use. I also have a beautiful powermatic cabinet saw stored over at a buddy's garage.

The plan to reclaim my living space is to build a small garage/shop in my backyard. I've been working thru the permit process and plan to get the foundation poured in January with me doing the rest. I'm figuring it'll take me at least two months working weekends but realistically, it'll probably be longer.

So with all that and knowing I have no where to put it, am I crazy for considering this? http://austin.craigslist.org/tls/4169889323.html I waaaaaaaant it; it's a big bandsaw and a powermatic but it'd have to go in someone's garage for several months. Should I wait? It seems like a pretty good deal and the seller frequently posts on LumberJocks and seems to know his poo poo so I figure it's probably in good shape. Argh. I've been going back and forth on this for a couple of weeks now (and he's dropped the price so he must not have gotten any bites yet)

Who cares? It's not the last good deal that'll ever show up, and I doubt you'll have any jobs on the horizon where you can't possibly use something else instead. A lot of people get by just fine without one.

Put your current money and time into getting your shed built, get all of your tools into it, get a few projects done, and see if you ever missed it or even cared that you didn't have it.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
It's been a while since I posted, I figured I'd show some some pics. I'd also like to reflect on my life with a thickness planer, let's just say it's been great, things are pretty serious between us.

Just finished this make-up box for my fiance, same construction as my toolbox with some different details. It's built out of oak veneer plywood with rosewood aniline dye, shellac and buffed with wax. The details are all maple, she doesn't like the contrast, I don't mind it, but the maple will probably darken over time anyway.

A couple of cherry pepper mills, I still need to put some sort of finish on them. The worst part of making these is boring out the centre. Although that may be due to my crappy chinese forstner bits, those badboys get so hot. I'm surprised they haven't melted or the wood caught on fire, I'm not patient enough to only do a half inch at a time.

Still working away on my keezer, I picked up some more maple to finish the last of the moulding. I coped the joints and it turned out pretty good, I tried to use my Princess Auto coping saw but that was useless so I used a chisel and a gouge to do the cope. I just started the tap coffin, no real progress on that yet.

Here's my latest haul, eight 12 foot pieces of cherry and one 4 foot 3" x 6". I'm going to build a morris chair out of this cherry. I'll probably start it at Christmas when I have some time off.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

What are you guys using to sharpen your lathe chisels?

I was going to buy a Worksharp 3000 but they're ~$175. Thinking about a wet grinder instead with some jigs. I have a variety of bench grinders now, but if I buy a dedicated grinder I can put it right on the bench next to the lathe.

VV Yeah that's the one I had my eyes on.

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 29, 2013

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
A friend of mine that does a bit of turning bought the smaller grizzly wet grinder. He says he's really happy with. I think it's around $90.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

I use a regular bench grinder. I did have two Norton white wheels, one coarse, one fine. Now I have a coarse Norton white wheel and a CBN wheel from D-Way tools. I use Wolverine jigs.

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010
CROSSPOST FROM TOOLS THREAD

quote:

Here at London Hackspace, we have a terrible problem of tools being used for unintended purposes by ignorant members (wood chisels used to open paint tins :stare:), this ends in lots of our hand and power tools getting broken/destroyed.

One of our members recently bought some of the lockers used in the Olympics in an attempt to have somewhere to lock away nice tools from ignorant members until they had been trained. Now that we had somewhere to keep nice things so they would stay nice, a few budding members set up a woodworking group, we started collecting tools from donations and pledges (members pooling together to buy stuff) and rigged out one of the lockers to store them all.

We're all total amateurs in the most amateurish way and it's fantastic, we're teaching ourselves to sharpen tools using guides and different stuff and we meet every Wednesday evening for communal wood-banging, it's turning out to be amazing fun.

Our groups HILARIOUS name. :tipshat:

TOOLS! :3: All now wonderfully sharp after a pass over a members sharpening machine

Squares and stuff, the majority of the chisels where donated from multiple members, I think we only bought the two giant ones and two of the small ones. The planes are on a long term loan, we've got a Stanley No5, No4-1/2, a Draper No4, a cute little wooden smoothing plane and a little blue record push plane. Apologies for the poo poo photos.

I also squared up my first bit of wood BY HAND! Peeling off translucent shavings..... :fap:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Yeti Fiasco posted:

CROSSPOST FROM TOOLS THREAD

I also squared up my first bit of wood BY HAND! Peeling off translucent shavings..... :fap:

I like that workbench, where did you get it?

EDIT:

Took the Roy Underhill joinery class today (along with fellow goon dobbymoodge), and it was excellent. Had a lot of fun and learned a ton.

Here are some pictures.

Our workbenches:

A wide shot of the class (no goons included here):

A blurry picture of Roy teaching:

My first dovetails ever:

Both dovetails we made, through and half-blind:

And some mortise and tenonry:

If you get a chance, the class was a lot of fun and Roy was exactly like you expect him to be. Plus there is an antique tool store upstairs where you can waste all of your money. I think dobbymoodge bought a bunch of chisels, I might go back and grab a dovetail saw.

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 1, 2013

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Ishamael posted:

If you get a chance, the class was a lot of fun and Roy was exactly like you expect him to be. Plus there is an antique tool store upstairs where you can waste all of your money. I think dobbymoodge bought a bunch of chisels, I might go back and grab a dovetail saw.

Can confirm, this was a pretty rad time. The tool store is definitely priced for convenience, you won't have to spend any time restoring the tools but you won't get them cheap either.

The class is great if you're pretty green. All the tools are provided and set up/sharpened already, so you can get a feel for how decent tools can make the work easier.

Roy is cool and friendly. He even jump started my truck, and didn't mind when I tracked poo poo into his workshop! :v:

Pics of my dovetails may be added later. I murdered my mortise and tenon joint. Ishamael's turned out near perfect though.

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010

Ishamael posted:

I like that workbench, where did you get it?

No idea, I'm pretty sure it came out of an old school though, hence its current condition.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

dobbymoodge posted:

Can confirm, this was a pretty rad time. The tool store is definitely priced for convenience, you won't have to spend any time restoring the tools but you won't get them cheap either.

The class is great if you're pretty green. All the tools are provided and set up/sharpened already, so you can get a feel for how decent tools can make the work easier.

Roy is cool and friendly. He even jump started my truck, and didn't mind when I tracked poo poo into his workshop! :v:

Pics of my dovetails may be added later. I murdered my mortise and tenon joint. Ishamael's turned out near perfect though.

Oh man, I didn't know that you had to jumpstart your truck! Also, send me your email (or add me on FB) and I will send you the pic of you and Roy.

They are doing another dovetail class today for more experienced people, the pieces they showed us for that looked pretty complex. So lots of cool stuff at Roy's place.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
So on a note about short classes, is anyone acquainted with the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop and its classes? I'm thinking of taking a few (planecraft, dovetailing, etc) and was curious if anyone had any experience with them.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Ishamael posted:

Oh man, I didn't know that you had to jumpstart your truck! Also, send me your email (or add me on FB) and I will send you the pic of you and Roy.

Yeah, I left my lights on that morning like a genius. Walked past it three times and didn't notice. I just need to learn how to pop start.

I thought I added you on FB but I guess I am bad at computer. I'll buy PM tonight so I can send you the info with all the security SA can muster. I got the group shots from Adrian, so I can send you those too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
My fianceé and I have been renovating my half-grade basement now that the upstairs is more or less finished, so I figured I'd post what I've been working on for the past couple weeks. Cabinets and trim carpentry count as woodworking, right?

We live in a split-entry without a garage, and the front of the house is all above grade, so although there's a front door, pretty much everyone comes in the "basement" door. It was pretty roughly finished when we bought the house, and there's no real place to put your shoes or coat or store much of anything. The old steel door was drafty and starting to rust out. Let's solve that!

I decided to tear out the old door and put in a new one a few weeks ago; anyone who hates their door should feel confident that they can pull it off pretty easily so long as you have a hammer, a hacksaw or sawzall, and a drill/driver. I also redid all the trim in the basement, the old stuff was disgusting and rotting.

All foamy:

After that, I figured I'd make some nice, simple cabinets. I made a top carcase for a bookshelf, and a bottom carcase with a couple simple mission doors. Once I got done with that, I decided I'd start on some sort of bench, and here you can see the face frame being glued.

All the carcases were made out of 3/4 poplar ply from Home Depot with a simple 1x2 maple face frame. The ply is actually pretty decent for $30 a sheet and sands down nicely; not sure I'd stain it, but it's not a big deal since this is getting painted. All the frames and carcases were done using pocket screws that got hidden. Since I'm light on clamps, I used a good number of 23 gauge pins for tacking the joints together and keeping the face frames aligned while clamping and setting the glue. You can't see them as is, and they'll get covered by paint. If you do any trim carpentry or woodworking, go buy one.

I made drawers out of the same ply and used a maple inset face flush with the face frame. This was actually a huge pain in the rear end as getting the drawer runners spaced just right and getting the fronts tacked correctly is a tedious job. If you have business cards, they make great spacer shims. I also used no-mortise hinges to get the cabinet doors mounted. I wanted Euro-style or Blum hinges but nobody in a 50 mile radius carries inset Euro hinges, so I made do.

Tomorrow I'll be getting the other two drawer faces mounted, getting the bookshelves and cabinet shelf sized up, and polishing up some of the trimwork and pinning it. If I'm lucky I'll hopefully get to an initial 100 grade sanding and wood puttying. I'm planning on doing a couple thin coats of primer with 100 grit after the first coat and 150 after the second, then a coat of eggshell trim paint mixed with a bit of Floetrol, then a 180 grit sanding, then another coat trim paint mixed thinner, then 200 grit sanding. If I'm feeling particularly spunky I'll steel wool and wax after, but we'll see how tired I am of painting by then.

Next time I have a free weekend I'm planning on building a wardrobe to the left of the window; any ideas as to whether I should keep the cabinet flat against the wall or bring it out at a 45 degree angle? The 45 would give more room but I'm afraid it would look janky given the lines of the room.