Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Angela Christine posted:

Ehhhh, the crazy difficult that forces all your mans to walk in single file and never take any risks is totally optional. Play on Normal and you can have a much more fast paced, balls out game because every misstep isn't automatically fatal. Personally I find Normal more fun than the harder settings.

A useful tip for XCom is that aliens won't move into overwatch willingly. So leaving some of your troops out of overwatch (but in cover) can be a good way to get them to come out so's you can shoot at them.

quote:

I've always wanted to take some people through the Tomb of Horrors. Playing 1st Edition straight so it's all needlessly complex.

It's actually incredibly rules light; which is a good thing because Gygax wrote terrible, terrible rules so you're better off ignoring them. When I ran it I looked up the saving throw tables a few times and the combat tables, and that was it. The bulk of play is just knowing the module backwards (very important, it's compactly written and you really need to grok the way the routes fit together) and adjudicating actions. Most of the really horrible death traps are avoidable and they're nearly all kind of witty.

Famously one of the original convention parties beat Acererak, in one round, by using an item they picked up in the dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

sebmojo posted:

It's actually incredibly rules light; which is a good thing because Gygax wrote terrible, terrible rules so you're better off ignoring them.

I've always wanted to know... What is on page 38 of the AD&D First Edition Player's Handbook?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

sebmojo posted:

It's actually incredibly rules light; which is a good thing because Gygax wrote terrible, terrible rules so you're better off ignoring them. When I ran it I looked up the saving throw tables a few times and the combat tables, and that was it.

You must have been a seriously generous DM to have to look up the saving throw tables.

sebmojo posted:

Famously one of the original convention parties beat Acererak, in one round, by using an item they picked up in the dungeon.

Was that using the module-provided Macguffin (the one that also has a 50% chance to KYWNST*) or something clever like pulling down the sphere of annihilation statue and carrying it around with them?

*Kill You With No Saving Throw. Abbreviating it saves a lot of time when discussing ToH.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DoctorTristan posted:

You must have been a seriously generous DM to have to look up the saving throw tables.

Yeah; I typed that but then I was trying to remember what I did it for and there might only have been one time.

quote:

Was that using the module-provided Macguffin (the one that also has a 50% chance to KYWNST*) or something clever like pulling down the sphere of annihilation statue and carrying it around with them?
*Kill You With No Saving Throw. Abbreviating it saves a lot of time when discussing ToH.

It was the crown. If you touch it with the wrong end of the sceptre it disintegrates you (so maybe what you were talking about) Another theoretical option is to grab acererak, eat the soul stealing and run him to the sphere of annihilation.

While we're on ToH chat (come on, it's better than Goblins) there's a lot of cleverness in there that you don't expect. It's far from a brainless meatgrinder.

quote:

chart

That's actually Second Edition.
:goonsay:

My two favourite Gygax rules are (1) the elaborate adjustments for Weapon vs Armour Type that are completely unusable because AC denotes how hard you are to hit, not what your armour is made of and (2) the throwaway line on page mumblymumble of the DMG that 1 blow in 3 will be directed at the AC 10 head (so every combat roll should actually be a d20 and a d6).

Looking back with my grown-rear end eyes, the Basic D&D that we all looked down on when we were 12 really is a much better game, endless lists of magic items aside.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

It's the full-page table that lists length, speed factor, space required, and to-hit adjustment for every Armor Class from 2 to 10 for every weapon in the game, that Sebmojo mentions above.

edited to be less snarky-sounding.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 25, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

maltesh posted:

It's the full-page table that lists length, speed factor, space required, and to-hit adjustment for every Armor Class from 2 to 10 for every weapon in the game, that Sebmojo mentions above.

edited to be less snarky-sounding.

The weird thing is that chart is potentially awesome, he just never bothered to make it usable. Rolemaster took that idea and made probably the best combat system ever with it (most of the deranged complexity in that game comes from character creation, the combat and skill use bits are actually excellent).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Angela Christine posted:

Ehhhh, the crazy difficult that forces all your mans to walk in single file and never take any risks is totally optional. Play on Normal and you can have a much more fast paced, balls out game because every misstep isn't automatically fatal. Personally I find Normal more fun than the harder settings.

Or Classic. Classic is totally fair. It's Impossible that's...well, a load of poo poo.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Ooooh, holiday merchandise on the website now. Always fun to look at, even if I can't justify spending money to become a walking billboard for a webcomic, that while famous in webcomic/fantasy circles, is still obscure and dorky as hell in public. The calendar's tempting though if only because one of the images references Start of Darkness.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I hope Rich is OK.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Valid, because on twitter two days ago he said he would probably have an update yesterday.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
He said he "probably" would, it's not time to start panicking just yet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I, for one, believe he should not have any thanksgiving dinner unless he updates his world wide web comic strip.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

greatn posted:

I, for one, believe he should not have any thanksgiving dinner unless he updates his world wide web comic strip.

Well I would surely love to gobble up the next comic strip but perhaps we should just be thankful for what we've got in the first place.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
No.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Too close to saying "Goblins". Let's just not go down that road.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

C'mon, guys, let's not baste around the bush here.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I'd imagine the reason poo poo is running behind is because of all the 2014 holiday merchandise he posted on the front page of the site a day or two ago.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

What a CORPORATE SELLOUT. :argh:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I cranberry contain my anticipation for the next comic! :haw:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

While we're waiting, we might as well read the forums to pass the time!

quote:

I wanted to get some feedback on this idea, I'm co-GM/PCing with a friend on a party of 7 total and I made this suggestion to the other GM, and have to make a table to show my players.

Languages should be based on your "attributes", and with this I mean that there should be a direct relation between your stats and the ability to read and write a language (not to speak it though) if we wanted to keep a more "logical" approach, some may be related to one or the other, or in some cases both. Or maybe reading and writing might be connected to those 2 different scores separably.

So with this I present my ideas
These "penalties" ( not knowing how to read or write) apply to scores bellow 10, any score equal or above ten means comprehension and maybe sluggish writing and above 14 means they can read and write faster (might be relevant for in-game events).

First off, the more simple idea:
Writing might be related to your intelligence score and reading to your wisdom score, being the exception that anybody who could write would be able to read if for example he had a int score of 12 but a wisdom score of 8, although this idea seems broken and not so feasible.

The other idea is completely based on the language being associated only with the corresponding score.
Languages based on...
Wisdom: Common, Thri-kreen, any type of Sign Language

Intelligence: Primordial, Giant and Abyssal (for being based on primordial)

Both individually: Supernal (the exception that I think needs to be connected to both scores simultaneously) Dwarven (for being based on supernal), Elven and Draconic (based on supernal but also deeply linked to arcane)

I have my doubts with Elven, Dwarven and Draconic, they are at heart different interpretations of the first language the races in question heard, the Supernal language, I don't know If for example, Dwarven should be only connected to Wisdom and Draconic and Elven connected to intelligence being that they are probably more complex variations of supernal and commonly have deeper connections to arcane delving.
Entirely reasonable and well thought out!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What the heck is "supernal"?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
The opposite of infernal.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If we got a new comic soon, that would be just gravy.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PFlats posted:

Literally, it's basically 4E's "language of the Gods/the Planes". I don't remember if there was an equivalent in 3E.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wasn't that called Celestial before? :confused:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shugojin posted:

Wasn't that called Celestial before? :confused:

Yeah, it's the same thing. When a god or angel speaks in Celestial Supernal Supestrial, the listener hears it as whatever language they're most fluent in.

4e simplified the whole language system down to ten: Draconian (dragons), Elven, Dwarven, Giant, Goblin, Common, Deep Speech (aberrant creatures like beholders and mind flayers), Primordial (elementals), Abyssal (demons and creatures like gnolls and sahuagin), and Supernal (gods, angels, and devils).

razorrozar fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 28, 2013

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Edit: ^Oh, okay.

PFlats posted:

I thought that was Celestial. (Or did I just get wooshed?)

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

quote:

When a god or angel speaks in Supestrial, the listener hears it as whatever language they're most fluent in.

I am really curious about the implementation details of this language. Is it like Java? It sounds like Java.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Triple Elation posted:

I am really curious about the implementation details of this language. Is it like Java? It sounds like Java.
Dohoho, programming jokes.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
If I could think of a less esoteric, yet still concise way to say "that's not only patently impossible, but patently impossible in an interesting way" and get across the gist of what's so interesting here, I would have used that instead.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Triple Elation posted:

If I could think of a less esoteric, yet still concise way to say "that's not only patently impossible, but patently impossible in an interesting way" and get across the gist of what's so interesting here, I would have used that instead.

It's magic, they ain't gotta explain poo poo. :haw:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If it was magic why isn't it just "it's a language that everyone understands" except because terrible nerds.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

My Lovely Horse posted:

If it was magic why isn't it just "it's a language that everyone understands" except because terrible nerds.

If everyone understood it then everyone would have a way to communicate with every other thing that exists.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

It specifically states in the rulebook that it only has that effect when gods or angels speak it. PCs can learn and speak Supernal but it sounds like Supernal.

Don't ask me where they learned what it sounds like.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I SURE HOPE NOTHING HAS HAPPENED TO RICH :ohdear:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

razorrozar posted:

It specifically states in the rulebook that it only has that effect when gods or angels speak it. PCs can learn and speak Supernal but it sounds like Supernal.

Don't ask me where they learned what it sounds like.

It's actually just gibberish somebody created as a joke.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

3E just said "Angels have a permanent tongues effect (the universal translation spell) active at all times", end of story.

I guess if you look hard enough you can find stuff that 4E made weirder.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NihilCredo posted:

3E just said "Angels have a permanent tongues effect (the universal translation spell) active at all times", end of story.

I guess if you look hard enough you can find stuff that 4E made weirder.

To be fair, calling monsters abilities by spells you have to go and look up to figure out what they do is a bit weirder than just saying "They speak Angelspeak which everyone can understand"

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
It's similar to the whole thing in the Christian mythology where after Pentecost the apostles who were blessed by God wandered out in front of crowds to speak and everyone could understand them no matter their country of origin and native tongue. Similarly, angels could roll up in full "glory of God" mode and communicate with everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LightWarden posted:

It's similar to the whole thing in the Christian mythology where after Pentecost the apostles who were blessed by God wandered out in front of crowds to speak and everyone could understand them no matter their country of origin and native tongue. Similarly, angels could roll up in full "glory of God" mode and communicate with everyone.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the inspiration.