Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ezzer posted:

if a bitcoin is supposed to represent a string of numbers, how do people trade fractions of bitcoin?

It doesn't represent a string of numbers. A "bitcoin" doesn't actually exist, the actual indivisible unit is one that's like 1/100000000 of a bitcoin. The strings of numbers you're thinking of are the "blocks" that record all transactions in a time period on the network, and how many bitcoins someone has is determined by adding and subtracting values recorded in the blocks (so if address X received 2.3 and sent 1.6, that address now has 0.7. And so on).

Think of it like having a $1 bill. The dollar is the base price we tend to price things in, but you can always make up fractions of it with pennies and other coins, and legally it's actually divisible to the "mill" or 1/1000 even though no one has actual currency for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Ezzer posted:

In the meantime, if you're a Firefox user, this might have the functionality you're looking for.

I was a Firefox user just long enough to download the extension and use it. Thanks for this. That's exactly what I needed!

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Is there any way to wintertize sliding glass doors? Keeping my apartment above 50 degrees pretty much requires emergency heat settings, and I have to think that a lot of it is being lost through the giant panes of glass.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Is there any way to wintertize sliding glass doors? Keeping my apartment above 50 degrees pretty much requires emergency heat settings, and I have to think that a lot of it is being lost through the giant panes of glass.

Do you open the doors in the winter at all? I would use some of that foam used for seals and such that comes in a roll (sorry the name escapes me now, but anyone at a hardware store would know this).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm trying to visualize what cord situation I will need to hook up my 2 monitors to 2 different laptops.

Both monitors have DisplayPort, DVI and VGA. No HDMI.

Laptop 1 has DisplayPort and VGA. Currently hooked up to the monitors with VGA and a DVI cord with an adapter to DisplayPort (not sure why not just a DisplayPort cord directly.)

Laptop 2 has HDMI and DVI.

Currently I only have these hooked up to laptop 1 but want to be able to use laptop 2. I can do DVI straight thru and then use an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter I'm thinking?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

If you believe it is the glass itself then I recommend using the same treatment as you would for a window: an additional layer of plastic taped and sealed on the door frame that traps air between the glass and plastic will act as a layer of insulation.

If air is escaping through cracks/gaps on the edge of the door, there is putty you can buy to stick around the door edge that you can just peel off come spring.

Both of these require that you don't actually use your door during the winter though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Hang an old duvet or comforter or whatever other term you use for "large thick blanket" in front of it like you would a curtain. Try to keep it as close to the door as possible to minimize heat loss along the sides. Using regular thick curtains can also work, but they usually insulate less than a good old blanket can. Also it's significantly cheaper to dig an old blanket out of the closet or whatever then buying the new curtains.

Incidentally this also works great in summer as well, if your glass doors face in away where they let in a lot of direct or near direct sunlight, for keeping the room cooler.

And since you're hanging it like this, it's simple to pull the material aside if you want to go in or out.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Will be visiting my friend down in Hawaii in a few weeks and wanted to bring him a bottle of liquor. I was going to purchase a big bottle from my local Costco but realized that I will not be able to bring it on my carry on and the checked bag fee is $25 for the first bag. I've never purchased anything from duty free before but even for domestic flights, is it a good deal for alcohol or should I just purchase some when I am down in Hawaii?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
In the first Jurassic Park movie (and maybe the book, can't remember) they make a point over how the T-rex hunts/is attracted by movement.

1) Is this a thing that they were able to determine was a trait to real T-rexs?

2) If so, how did they figure it out? Did they look at modern predatory birds and watch their behavior and extrapolate from there?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

Will be visiting my friend down in Hawaii in a few weeks and wanted to bring him a bottle of liquor. I was going to purchase a big bottle from my local Costco but realized that I will not be able to bring it on my carry on and the checked bag fee is $25 for the first bag. I've never purchased anything from duty free before but even for domestic flights, is it a good deal for alcohol or should I just purchase some when I am down in Hawaii?

Duty free shopping is for when you are traveling internationally.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

In the first Jurassic Park movie (and maybe the book, can't remember) they make a point over how the T-rex hunts/is attracted by movement.

2) If so, how did they figure it out? Did they look at modern predatory birds and watch their behavior and extrapolate from there?

Nobody can prove it, but T-Rex had very big eyes which probably gave it excellent vision, up to par with if not better than birds of prey.

In the book though, it is explained they gently caress up the dino-dna and give it frog vision, and frogs actually do use movement to see. (Read the book, it's pretty good)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Some living animals have very movement-based visual acuity, so there's some reason to believe that some predators have this trait. But I, too, have always called bullshit on Alan Grant's assertion that "It can't see us if we don't move," so I look forward to a good answer on this. I can't imagine how fossil records would indicate such a thing.
Also, recent paleontology has proposed that T-rex was as much a scavenger as a hunter. "It can't see us if we don't move" would be a terrible trait for a scavenger.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What's the name for this type of chart?

I keep wanting to call it a "blob graph" but I'm sure there's an actual name for it. Crafted a better google search. Bubble chart. Nearly is "blob graph."

e: This one too. Turns out there are a lot of graph types whose names I don't know!

kedo fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 26, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

alnilam posted:

Some living animals have very movement-based visual acuity, so there's some reason to believe that some predators have this trait. But I, too, have always called bullshit on Alan Grant's assertion that "It can't see us if we don't move," so I look forward to a good answer on this. I can't imagine how fossil records would indicate such a thing.
Also, recent paleontology has proposed that T-rex was as much a scavenger as a hunter. "It can't see us if we don't move" would be a terrible trait for a scavenger.

Right, this is what made me question it. It's a great plot point and helps ratchet up the tension. It's great story telling. But Dr. Grant, who had never seen a real live dinosaur up until about an hour ago, suddenly knows how T-rex hunted and how good their eyes were.

On the flip side, every ten years or so it seems like whatever I learned about dinosaurs from school seems to be disproven or brought into question.

Dinosaur tails dragged along on the ground, creating small grooves in the dirt. Except that most of those tails probably were used for balance and were probably held aloft most of the time.

Dinosaurs were all variants of green and brown, but nothing more exciting than that. Except the may have been brightly colored like modern lizards with wild bright colors like reds and blues to attract mates.

T-rex, king of the dinosaurs, was the mightiest hunter of them all. Except that he may have actually been a scavenger.

I just don't know what to believe anymore.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

CzarChasm posted:

Around the time the book was written that was a theory about T-Rexes, though it wasn't a very popular one. I think it had something to do with the way the skull was shaped like some toads that have that type of vision.

After the movie was released, the theory was reexamined and pretty much shot down. Now paleontologists who've studied T-Rex skulls are pretty sure that they had even better vision than humans. I think Crichton really didn't care how accurate the theory was, it just worked really well with the plot. :v:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Velociraptors probably/did have feathers!!

Literally the worst reversal ever. Also they were smaller.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Install Windows posted:

Hang an old duvet or comforter or whatever other term you use for "large thick blanket" in front of it like you would a curtain. Try to keep it as close to the door as possible to minimize heat loss along the sides. Using regular thick curtains can also work, but they usually insulate less than a good old blanket can. Also it's significantly cheaper to dig an old blanket out of the closet or whatever then buying the new curtains.

Incidentally this also works great in summer as well, if your glass doors face in away where they let in a lot of direct or near direct sunlight, for keeping the room cooler.

And since you're hanging it like this, it's simple to pull the material aside if you want to go in or out.

This would look like rear end from the inside and outside. They make insulated curtains that do the same thing, you can get them at Target/Walmart for $10 a panel.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sieg posted:

This would look like rear end from the inside and outside.

Well, that depends on your duvet.

Foomin
Feb 14, 2005

Can anybody tell me what beer this awesome poster is advertising??

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Foomin posted:

Can anybody tell me what beer this awesome poster is advertising??

Sapporo; which should be fairly easy to find.

Foomin
Feb 14, 2005

Haha awesome, thanks

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

kedo posted:

What's the name for this type of chart?

I keep wanting to call it a "blob graph" but I'm sure there's an actual name for it.

I've heard it called a bubble graph (or bubbleplot) but I wouldn't get hung up on the name specific to that plot. It is simply a vanilla xy scatterplot with the points proportional to some third variable which isn't named on the plot.

kedo posted:

e: This one too. Turns out there are a lot of graph types whose names I don't know!

Don't know if it has a name, unless it is a plot specific to some obscure field. This too is just a scatterplot, with time as the x-axis and I guess political stability as the y-axis, with the points in each year tied together for some unknown reason.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sick and tired of playing Go Fish and Bullshit. What are some other non-poker card games I can play?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Volume posted:

I'm sick and tired of playing Go Fish and Bullshit. What are some other non-poker card games I can play?

Off-hand you could try Rummy, Cribbage, or one of many trick taking games like Hearts, Euchre, or Bridge.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
rear end in a top hat has a steeper learning-curve than bullshit but is pretty fun. Hit them with the thumbmaster or no d-word rule every time for great victory.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 26, 2013

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Learn Bridge. Bridge is so fun and is pretty much impossible to master.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

CzarChasm posted:

I just don't know what to believe anymore.

Triceratops was just the juvenile form of Torosaurus! :eng101: (Torosaurus has since been renamed Triceratops to avoid confusion)

Look at it this way: there are still exciting things to learn about dinosaurs! Even decades of paleontology have not fully nailed anything down! You could study dinosaurs for a living and have work to do!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

unpronounceable posted:

Off-hand you could try Rummy, Cribbage, or one of many trick taking games like Hearts, Euchre, or Bridge.
It's worth pointing out that the latter typically require at least three players and ideally four, though Rummy and its variants work fine with 2 people.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Vin BioEthanol posted:

rear end in a top hat has a steeper learning-curve than bullshit but is pretty fun. Hit them with the thumbmaster or no d-word rule every time for great victory.

rear end in a top hat nearly cost me a friendship once. My friend accused me of trying to break the game by having as many cards as possible in my hand. I was just really bad at the game :shobon:

Edit: wait, nevermind, I'm thinking of Bullshit.

Ezzer fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 26, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What if I wrote (and encoded) a legally valid check on a dollar bill, and the bank accepted it for deposit? And what if it made it all the way to the clearing house?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mescal posted:

What if I wrote (and encoded) a legally valid check on a dollar bill, and the bank accepted it for deposit? And what if it made it all the way to the clearing house?

You might have trouble making it clearly visible enough to be payable, but it would then deposit as a check for whatever amount. The receiving bank would also likely send the bill off to be destroyed and replaced by a reprint bill if it was still intact enough or otherwise simply discarded without value.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Volume posted:

Blackjack. Crazy Eights.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

User-Friendly posted:

Learn Bridge. Bridge is so fun and is pretty much impossible to master.

This. It's so cool when you start to actually get the hang of bidding conventions. It's honestly like communicating in an entirely different language. Or maybe code is a better analogy. Successfully communicating my first Stayman (and understanding the response) was a really cool moment in my early bridge playing days.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
I'm writing a scientific paper and it's been a while since I've done any serious writing in English (non-native speaker).

Can someone please give me some quick and general guidelines on when to use affect/effect. I've noticed that I use them almost interchangably, and when I read through other articles I'm sometimes completely stumped when they write affect where I was sure effect was the right word.

Thanks alot!

EDIT: Here is an example that trips me up: "(...)is expected to cause a depolarization that, in the case of heteromeric α4β2 nAChRs, can be sustained affecting both the firing threshold of the action potentials."

Is this wrong? If I had written that sentence I would have used effect.

Werner-Boogle fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 26, 2013

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
For the most part:
If it's a noun, you use effect.
If it's a verb, you use affect.

BUT you can use effect as a verb as kind of a shortened version of "put into effect". So like "The committee effected a new policy." You'll rarely need to use this though.

That sentence is correct.

edit: also "a lot" is 2 words.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 26, 2013

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

Schweinhund posted:

edit: also "a lot" is 2 words.

Welp, guess I've been making that mistake for the last 10 years. Thanks a lot for your help, it makes a lot of sense!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

They have two distinct meanings.
`The company effected the policy` means that they put it into effect, bringing it about.
`The company affected the policy` means they influenced it in some way, changing it.

An effect is the result of something, an affect is an influence on something.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've never owned a car, which means I don't have car insurance. On the occasion that I rent one, I buy the rental company's liability and collision insurance.

What I'm wondering is this:
One of the extra insurances I buy is liability coverage. That's the one people who own cars usually say "don't bother buying it, your insurance probably covers it." But I don't have insurance of my own.
In most states I know of, you can't legally drive without liability insurance.
So if I were to rent a car and not buy the liability coverage, would I be driving illegally? It surprises me that the car rental places are allowed to let me drive away without proving I have liability coverage. I guess if I got in trouble, they could say it was my responsibility to make sure I was covered. Or maybe when you don't buy theirs, you have to something that says "I promise to Hertz that I have my own liability coverage."

e: I'm not planning on doing this, I've just always been curious. And it's a hard topic to find info on - most of the info out there assumes you own your own car.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 26, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

I've never owned a car, which means I don't have car insurance. On the occasion that I rent one, I buy the rental company's liability and collision insurance.

What I'm wondering is this:
One of the extra insurances I buy is liability coverage. That's the one people who own cars usually say "don't bother buying it, your insurance probably covers it." But I don't have insurance of my own.
In most states I know of, you can't legally drive without liability insurance.
So if I were to rent a car and not buy the liability coverage, would I be driving illegally? It surprises me that the car rental places are allowed to let me drive away without proving I have liability coverage. I guess if I got in trouble, they could say it was my responsibility to make sure I was covered. Or maybe when you don't buy theirs, you have to something that says "I promise to Hertz that I have my own liability coverage."

e: I'm not planning on doing this, I've just always been curious. And it's a hard topic to find info on - most of the info out there assumes you own your own car.

Don't know about what would happen if you didn't get coverage and totaled the car, but a lot of credit cards offer insurance coverage as a perk so you don't have to buy it from the rental place (if you put the rental on that card). Check your terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I'm translating a personal statement for a law school application. The fellow wants me to write it entirely in the third person ("In the following statement, the author will explain how he has capitalized on his past experiences" etc.) because "it's an academic paper." Before I explain that this would sound unnatural, I want to make sure: this isn't some extremely odd convention that's been adopted by a few law schools or something, is it?