Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Exmond posted:

Until the 4th? book Forzare (:eng101:) was never mentioned or used.

Not that you're wrong, but I would swear it was used sooner than that?

And even if the word wasn't used, I'm pretty sure Harry used the spell in Fool Moon when he "blew the tires off his loving truck."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Error 404 posted:

Not that you're wrong, but I would swear it was used sooner than that?

And even if the word wasn't used, I'm pretty sure Harry used the spell in Fool Moon when he "blew the tires off his loving truck."

I think he superheated the air in the tires to blow the tiers off the truck, using Fuego. Thank you for the spelling check though I have no clue how to spell it.

Also I noticed that "nebulous force" seemed to be used a lot in Proven Guilty and White Night.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
Forzare replaced ventas servitas. Direct force trumps using air to propel things.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I've always liked parsing the terrible Latin Harry uses for his spells. It also provides my absolute favorite subtle joke in the entire series, using "Rexus mundus" to summon an iceberg.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Umm... Is that King of the World? King of the Earth?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Silento posted:

King of the World.
Titanic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silento posted:

Something like that, yes.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
Haha! That is great. I love finding out stuff like that.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I had to actually put my Kindle down when I read that, I was laughing so hard.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...
My favorite part of the Dresden files is catching another subtle reference more than a year after I first read Cold Days.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
My limited latin translated it to "Rule the World" since Rexus is the verb form meaning "To guide, direct, to rule". Still funny.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
There is an awful lot of nipple talk.

I'm enjoying the books but I am getting a little bored that he's always absolutely knackered all the time and apparently he's pretty strong but it never really shows?

Also, I was really excited by the idea that Harry was going to turn Lasciel - but then Butcher totally wimped out of that :(

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well being beaten to poo poo is part of the genre, the hardboiled detective is always hammered to the brink before he manages to solve the case. Whether it's a grossly superior enemy, or simply a dozen little things wearing him down, it works out to the same.

As for power levels. Harry has the raw magical lifting ability of among the top 50 wizards on the planet. He however, has a control ability that just recently got out of apprentice grade. So his spells are pretty wasteful in energy, most of them go into making a hugeass heat bloom and wreck the environment rather than going to his main target. What happens is he gets tired really fast because he's always hitting things full force, going for overkill rather than accuracy or efficiency.

Secondly, chivalrous and righteous as he is, Harry regularly goes up against things that are far out of his league, and on unfavorable ground to boot. Denarians, Kemmlerites, Faerie nobility, Red/White/Black vampire nobility, demigods and outright gods. Even the weakest of these are no pushover by wizard standards, only to be engaged from a superior position and with prior preparation.

Harry? He hits it with his head until something breaks. Fortunately he has an adamantine skull upgrade.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
True true but for someone who has Bob the Skull there hasn't been much apparent progress except for Little Chicago.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Even Little Chicago is basically the same, he solved it in an exhaustive, time consuming manner that makes up for complexity with sheer effort.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
My wife and I are driving from Ottawa, Ontario to Raleigh, NC tomorrow, and back at the end of the week. We should be able to get through Summer Knight and Death Masks, and I can't wait to see her reaction to Toot Toot.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

WastedJoker posted:

True true but for someone who has Bob the Skull there hasn't been much apparent progress except for Little Chicago.

So far as his magical talent goes there's a fair bit. His Evocation and on the fly spell work is leagues ahead of where it was in the first few novels. And even before the Book 12+Winter Knight upgrade his stamina had improved considerably as well. Go back and take a look at how piddly the stuff he's slinging around in the first few novels looks compared to the most recent and just how quickly he tires out when casting. He's more flexible too, once upon a time he couldn't even do crappy veils in the heat of the moment and it used to take him hours to prepare for ritual work instead of the minutes it takes now.

His progress has been gradual, but it's defiantly there.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

WastedJoker posted:

Since Dead Beat I think it's been pretty obvious that Bob is completely wasted on Harry, and that it's a good thing.

e: Primo example is Bob was almost certainly involved in summoning He Who Walks Behind and likely knows all about why Justin picked out Harry and Elaine in particular.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 23, 2013

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I've been listening to the summer knight audio book for the first time and almost died laughing when marsden started cursing at his misreading something.

Something I noticed, at one point I think Bob mentions that calling a Sidhe a Fairy is the same as calling a Human an Ape. I wonder if this was another hint that toot toot will become a Sidhe.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finished Changes. I liked that one quite a bit. I almost said, "F it, he's dead, series is over," and stopped. But I'm annoyed by how he died/who shot him and all that. I'm sure it will be covered at some point, but it struck me as really lame.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
That's one of the main plots of the next book.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Finished Changes. I liked that one quite a bit. I almost said, "F it, he's dead, series is over," and stopped. But I'm annoyed by how he died/who shot him and all that. I'm sure it will be covered at some point, but it struck me as really lame.

Thinking about Changes, Ghost Story and Cold Days as a 3-book story arc helps with the feelings of weirdness I have found.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Xtanstic posted:

Thinking about Changes, Ghost Story and Cold Days as a 3-book story arc helps with the feelings of weirdness I have found.

That's what I was thinking last night. Ghost Story would be him as a ghost and Cold Days would be Winter Knight stuff.

So Dresden is Jesus I guess.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

So Dresden is Jesus I guess.

Well, that is one character yet to be introduced ...

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

hatelull posted:

Well, that is one character yet to be introduced ...

Mab talks about "the White Christ" at one point, although I forget where.

Also isn't Dresden (Ghost Story spoilers) not technically dead? I thought Mab, Demonsreach, and the Parasite were keeping him alive while he goes gallivanting off as a spirit courtesy of our friend Uriel, but it's been a while since I read it.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

Arcsech posted:

Also isn't Dresden (Ghost Story spoilers) not technically dead? I thought Mab, Demonsreach, and the Parasite were keeping him alive while he goes gallivanting off as a spirit courtesy of our friend Uriel, but it's been a while since I read it.

The way they left it was that he was dead, but that death is a spectrum and he hadn't passed the point of no return.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Arcsech posted:

Pretty sure it's the Leanansidhe at the beginning of Grave Peril when she encounters Michael and refers to him as a servant of the "White God"

edit: though it is worth noting that, in addition to being heavily lampshaded as various famous swords throughout history, the swords of the cross are imbued with nails from the Crucifixion. Yes...that one.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 25, 2013

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

The way they left it was that he was dead, but that death is a spectrum and he hadn't passed the point of no return.

Or, in Harry-Speak, "No, he's only mostly dead!"

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

treeboy posted:

Pretty sure it's the Leanansidhe at the beginning of Grave Peril when she encounters Michael and refers to him as a servant of the "White God"

edit: though it is worth noting that, in addition to being heavily lampshaded as various famous swords throughout history, the swords of the cross are imbued with nails from the Crucifixion. Yes...that one.

Mab says something along the lines of how the White Christ never suffered as much as Slate in Changes, I believe.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I just finished Chosen by Benedict Jacka, and I really enjoyed it. Is there any more books in that series coming up any time soon? Is there anything else similar to it you guys would recommend?

Edit:

Khizan posted:

Have you read the Rivers of London books by Aaronvitch? I read them recently due to recommendations from this thread and I thought they were pretty solid.

First thing I bought when I first checked out the old thread, and they are really good. Although I'm a bit sad that the next one won't come out in the States until January or so. Anything else?

Thunderfinger fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 26, 2013

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Have you read the Rivers of London books by Aaronvitch? I read them recently due to recommendations from this thread and I thought they were pretty solid.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

West Coast Witch is still decent if you need an Urban Fantasy fix. Well, that and it's slightly better than Iron Druid.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

39% of the way through Changes and I can't understand why Dresden/Susan's blood hasn't been used to track down Maggie? - have I missed them ruling that out for some convenient reasons?

Edit: Answered 5 pages later!

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 26, 2013

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Khizan posted:

I loved them. It helps if you are a Brit and have lived or worked around the west end though, I know a lot of people get put off by the Britisisms.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Thunderfinger posted:

I just finished Chosen by Benedict Jacka, and I really enjoyed it. Is there any more books in that series coming up any time soon? Is there anything else similar to it you guys would recommend?

Edit:

First thing I bought when I first checked out the old thread, and they are really good. Although I'm a bit sad that the next one won't come out in the States until January or so. Anything else?

They're easily ordered from amazon.co.uk.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They're easily ordered from amazon.co.uk.

Or The Book Depository sells them on Amazon's merchants page.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
So how do you guys pronounce "forzare"?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

So how do you guys pronounce "forzare"?

For-ZAR-rey

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Fore-Zair!

Or literally force-air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

VanSandman posted:

For-ZAR-rey

This in an overblown mario italian accent.

• Locked thread