Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I haven't seen any of his works after 5 Centimeters per Second, and it's been a couple years since I've seen any of them, but I remember liking The Place Promised in Our Early Days the most at the time. I'd probably have a better appreciation of 5cm per Second nowadays though. Voices of a Distant Star is fairly straightforward and is basically what he reuses repeatedly though as the premise/theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I should note that Garden of Words is the only Shinkai work I've watched in its entirety. I tried 5cm per Second around the time it come out and turned it off after about 10 minutes. I'm not sure if I'd do the same now, though.

ViggyNash posted:

I personally didn't like Garden of Words, and I say that having recently seen Voices of a Distant Star. While the visuals were generally pretty, they were also really repetitive and not consistent in quality. One scene might have beautifully detailed and vivid scenery in every pixel of scene, and the next drab and lazy art mixed in with the detailed art. Also, I found the story to be pretty badly written, content aside. I was mostly confused despite understanding the plot.
Don't agree with you at all about the visual consistency. Maybe it's because I haven't watched something so high budget in a while, but I thought it was high quality throughout, or at least it was compared to other anime I've seen. What was confusing about the story? I found it effective in its simplicity.

Redcrimson posted:

I have a general dislike for Shinkai's seeming obsession with listless nostalgia, but the guy certainly knows how to frame a beautiful shot. They don't call it "5 Wallpapers Per Second" for nothing.
I didn't really get a sense of listlessness from this one. To me it seemed to be about moving on. The protagonist has a goal he's working towards and there's actually some plot progression.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Garden of Words is probably the most beautiful anime film I've ever seen, but I can't say the plot grabbed me. It's very by the numbers for Shinkai and you can pretty much predict exactly how it will go down about 5 minutes in.

My favorites would be Voices of a Distant Star for its unique concept/execution/circumstances and Beyond The Clouds for just being an interesting story in its own right.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Garden of Words is probably the most beautiful anime film I've ever seen, but I can't say the plot grabbed me. It's very by the numbers for Shinkai and you can pretty much predict exactly how it will go down about 5 minutes in.

My favorites would be Voices of a Distant Star for its unique concept/execution/circumstances and Beyond The Clouds for just being an interesting story in its own right.

I thought I had missed one of his films entirely until it dawned on me that Beyond the Clouds is a more direct translation of the title for The Place Promised in Our Early Days. :doh:

Here's a one minute long short he did called A Gathering of Cats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YKuxZgDamM

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah, it's always been "Beyond The Clouds" to me for whatever reason. I think that's the title fansubbers went with when it was first released which is how I saw it the first time. I never really understood why it got changed, it seemed perfectly suitable to me (and rolls off the tongue a lot better than "The Place Promised in Our Early Day"). Maybe to avoid some issue with this?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It probably doesn't help that I kept comparing it to Paprika, which is the most recent anime movie I've seen. That has fantastic art and animation direction and blows Garden of Words right out of the water in the visual department.

About my confusion, it was more the way it was written. I could tell exactly what he was going for (a story about moving on/moving forewards), but the writing was really weird and really didn't support that story well. That phrase about "walking on your own" doesn't connect with the theme of the story for me (makes me think more of a theme of independence or individuality), and I think he went a bit overboard with the romance, as if he was trying really hard to push a side theme of love being immune to an obstacle such as age, and the two themes didn't mesh very well. Essentially, my confusion was of why he wrote it the way he did, with these two conflicting themes that ended up only being half developed.

a kitten posted:

Children Who Chase Lost Voices Scifi/fantasy movie. This one has a different feel than the rest, in fact it feels a lot like a ghibli movie. Available on various disc formats.

I hadn't heard of this before and the summary seems interesting. It's weird to see Shinkai do a fantasy story since he seems obsessed with off-beat romance dramas.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Without doubt Paprika is a better film overall and I'd agree it has more imaginative visuals, but Garden of Words is beautiful in a different way - it has, for instance, some of the best animated rain I've ever seen, great shots of food and food preparation*, and definitely the best shoes.

*A particular fetish of mine.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If anyone has not read Koe no Katachi, I highly suggest doing so. Don't read the first two chapters at the bottom of the list as they are the original one-shot and a side story, if anything read them once you've read the rest(starting with 001: Ishida Shouya).

It's a story about a deaf elementary school girl and the ceaseless bullying she goes through, and the consequences of that. It can be really, really loving :smith: for a while, but don't give up. It's a beautiful story so far, and also manages to be funny at times. It's about bullying, discrimination, disabilities, redemption, forgiveness, and possibly romance eventually.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
How's Sands of Destruction? The trailer makes it look pretty sweet, but I have concerns about a show made to promote a game. If it's not any good I'll probably replace it on my to buy with list with another cheap show on DVD, like Chrome Shelled Regios.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Both of those shows are pretty dang mediocre and forgettable at best.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Pretty much that. I liked Regios, but either its an incomplete adaption of its original work, or its just really anticlimactic. Destruction was just pretty bland, something only worth watching if you're really bored and want to see something you haven't.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
In that case, I'll just leave that spot on my list empty till I find something better.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

WickedHate posted:

How's Sands of Destruction? The trailer makes it look pretty sweet, but I have concerns about a show made to promote a game. If it's not any good I'll probably replace it on my to buy with list with another cheap show on DVD, like Chrome Shelled Regios.

Not good.

They pretty much took a Wikipedia summary of the plot of the game, looked at it once and said "we got this" then proceeded to get drunk and then make the anime.

So anything that was good about the game? Not in the anime. The story for Sands of Destruction game was kind good from what I remember.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

So anything that was good about the game? Not in the anime. The story for Sands of Destruction game was kind good from what I remember.

Eh, it kind of poo poo the bed in the final act, interesting concept though.

The whole thing reminds me of the Arc the Lad anime. Which is probably not a good comparison to be making considering.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Someone was translating the manga adaption of it, which was supposedly more accurate than the anime and I enjoyed what there was of it, but its not complete.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

How is Sword Art Online? I watched the first few episodes and thought it was a decent enough anime to semi pay attention to while doing other things. Then I saw an episode that was a whole lot of little girl up-skirts and blushing, and that kind of stuff turns me off. Does the story ever pick up and get more serious, or is it just an 'adventure of the week' type show?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Baldbeard posted:

How is Sword Art Online? I watched the first few episodes and thought it was a decent enough anime to semi pay attention to while doing other things. Then I saw an episode that was a whole lot of little girl up-skirts and blushing, and that kind of stuff turns me off. Does the story ever pick up and get more serious, or is it just an 'adventure of the week' type show?

I've never watched it but everything I've heard usually goes "starts out alright, gets bad after the first arc and constantly becomes worse after that".

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's insanely bad but lots of people like it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's wish fulfillment fantasy for fifteen year olds who spend too much time playing computer games. There are worse things to be, but it's not really worthwhile.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Haha drat, that's what I was worried about.

Basically. I'm looking for something good I can watch on Hulu. Bonus if its subbed, double bonus if its story driven and serious. I've already seen and loved both FMAs, and Cowboy Bebop. I haven't watched anything that's come out in the last 5 years with the exception of Attack on Titan, and I'm already caught up on that.

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.

Baldbeard posted:

Haha drat, that's what I was worried about.

Basically. I'm looking for something good I can watch on Hulu. Bonus if its subbed, double bonus if its story driven and serious. I've already seen and loved both FMAs, and Cowboy Bebop. I haven't watched anything that's come out in the last 5 years with the exception of Attack on Titan, and I'm already caught up on that.

Tiger & Bunny is on Hulu, have you watched that?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Baccano, Black Lagoon, Gurren Lagann, all good choices.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's not very serious, but Lupin the Third is on Hulu.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

BrilliantFool posted:

Tiger & Bunny is on Hulu, have you watched that?

Yeah this is easily the best show available on Hulu if you haven't seen it!

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Awesome. I'll take a look at all of these. All new to me.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It's very far from serious, but as long as we're mentioning good shows on Hulu, The Devil is a Part-Timer is excellent if you've missed it up until now.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Hulu has all of Revolutionary Girl Utena, you should probably just watch that. It can be a a little goofy, but it's about at serious and intelligent as anime gets.

Also Gankutsuou, Steins;Gate, Haibane Renmei, Fate/Zero and Madoka Magica.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Madoka Magica is great and you should totally check it out, but it might be better to watch it on Youtube unless you have Hulu Plus.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Redcrimson posted:

Also Gankutsuou

Hijacking this question. I've started a friend-group simulwatch of Gankutsuou and we're three episodes in and loving it. None of us have read The Count of Monte Cristo. Is there anything (besides straight up reading the book :v:) I should do to be able to have a better appreciation of the show as I'm watching it?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Tatami Galaxy and House of Five Leaves are both available on Hulu.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Baldbeard posted:

I would actually recommend it, but only the first arc. Yeah, in a sense it's a teen fulfillment fantasy or whatever, but regardless it's really a lot of fun with plenty of great ideas that were done pretty well and it looks great visually. It's not brilliant by any means, but it is pretty good and a fun watch.

But after that first arc, things get pretty bad, beginning with, but not limited to, an incest plot.

As for Hulu shows, the other posters have everything I'd recommend. If you don't mind silliness mixed into a unique story, try Robotics;Notes. Not amazing, but it was fun and had a lot of the charm of Steins;Gate, which is a brilliant adaptation of a fantastic VN. It's very silly at first, but it gets pretty drat gritty and serious later on.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I'm basically watching the pilots for a bunch of shows tonight. So far Black Lagoon seems to click the most.

The pilot for kill la kill was actually pretty funny/entertaining even though it's super silly. I really like art direction where people actually look different instead of the same base anime character with swapped out eyes and hair. The random students and townspeople in KLK are hilarious.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Baldbeard posted:

The pilot for kill la kill was actually pretty funny/entertaining even though it's super silly. I really like art direction where people actually look different instead of the same base anime character with swapped out eyes and hair. The random students and townspeople in KLK are hilarious.

You said you hadn't seen anything from the last five years, right?

Someone already mentioned The Tatami Galaxy and House of Five Leaves; you might also check out Redline, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, Katanagatari, Psycho-Pass, and maybe Mawaru Penguin Drum (the last two are a little less visually distinct than the rest.)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

It's not very serious, but Lupin the Third is on Hulu.

They're even putting up episodes of the third series, aka pink jacket Lupin!

Which more people need to watch because it rules.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Baldbeard posted:

I'm basically watching the pilots for a bunch of shows tonight. So far Black Lagoon seems to click the most.

If you're not watching Black Lagoon dubbed, you really should. Not only is it great, but it fits the setting a lot better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Devil Tesla posted:

Baccano, Black Lagoon, Gurren Lagann, all good choices.

All three of these should be watched dubbed, not subbed. They're all amazing dubs :allears:.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Baccano!'s dub is passable because it's got amusingly hammy accents, the others I wouldn't even consider it. Especially TTGL.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Baccano!'s dub is passable because it's got amusingly hammy accents, the others I wouldn't even consider it. Especially TTGL.

I will straight up fight you, no lie.

Baccano! has a great dub that fits the tone and setting fantastically. Black Lagoon almost entirely involves characters who in-universe would be (and are) speaking English, so not only is the dub solid (it is) but it actually fits the setting almost as well as Baccano!

I've seen Kittan's speech in the Gurren Lagann dub bring adults to tears. It's that good.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Black lagoon and GL both have great dubs, Black lagoon especially. Baccano has one of the best ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwaPSkjXp0

Also I kinda missed it but maybe I'm not too late, Sword Art online is loving poo poo all the way through, the second half is just double poo poo. for the love of god don't watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Also I kinda missed it but maybe I'm not too late, Sword Art online is loving poo poo all the way through, the second half is just double poo poo. for the love of god don't watch it.

It's not that bad.

I could probably write a little essay about how SAO relates to Locke's ideas, but :effort:.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 27, 2013

• Locked thread