Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Why didn't you post this several hours earlier. I just saw this about 3 hours after hammering out a plan essentially the same as what you suggested. Could have saved me much efforts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

brick cow posted:

I took the question to be more about these kind of deals in general than specifically restaraunt.com. So, I amend: I've worked with similar situations and thats how they were.

This was a fascinating post, thanks.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Why didn't you post this several hours earlier. I just saw this about 3 hours after hammering out a plan essentially the same as what you suggested. Could have saved me much efforts!

Feel free to use any idea in there you might not have had and also (if you're allowed/willing to) post deviations or ideas I didn't include. I like to hear ideas about this kind of stuff.

kensei posted:

This was a fascinating post, thanks.

Thanks.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Excellent post. I love insider looks at these sort of things. Thanks for that.

As for my excessive interviews, it's both a big chain restaurant, and it's also been sort of a weird setup. My former coworker who felt it was unfair I didn't get to be a server (which I found out yesterday is secretly because the boss doesn't like me because I don't bootlick enough and get offended when he acts creepy and rude), so he tried to get me a spot at this place.

Had one interview, went great. Was told I'd be called back (never did, I called them), probably for busser, but she'd look into it. Second interview, different woman. Somehow on 3 hours of sleep I managed to impress her such that, her words, "You're far too well spoken to not be a server, and we have college kids leaving for the holidays, so I want you as one." -- Third interview a few days later, some head manager guy. Gives long typical spiel about What It Means To Be A Corporate Server, 10 Steps To Success, Quizzes To Take, etc etc etc. I was supposed to speak to someone else that same day, but she wasn't there, so the guy said he'd call me back by Monday, since weekends are so busy usually he wouldn't have time (which is good and apparently TRUE according to my server friend, so hooray).

So now I need a fourth interview. Maybe this Monday? I'm calling them at 3pm Monday if I hear nothing by then. The anxiety of this is turning my goddamn gut into a gordian knot. I have to pay rent soon and then I am literally out of money for the month, so I'll need this job right loving quick, and I'm praying I have it. I'm pretty sure I do! But Jesus Christ on whole wheat toast what a labor.

In other news my boss at the current place is spiraling further into financial ruin, and every Saturday has this weird sort of club thing he does with free food, bottle service style stuff with $150 wines, and a loud and dissonant atmosphere that turns the already claustrophobic restaurant into a thundering neon cave. Thankfully he cut me early so I didn't have to work until midnight, only to be back at work today at 11am. Because there's no way to endear your employees and especially servers to you more than working them past midnight and then expecting them back to open the next day.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Black August posted:

Excellent post. I love insider looks at these sort of things. Thanks for that.

As for my excessive interviews, it's both a big chain restaurant, and it's also been sort of a weird setup.

Some of what you're saying sounds like typical corporate bullshit, but a lot of it sounds like seriously disorganized management. If their hiring practice is so scattershot it's a good bet everything else is, too. I think you're talking to a lot of people who don't have the authority to hire you, which raises a red flag.

I'm not saying you shouldn't take the job, just that you shouldn't assume that four interviews means they are super-exclusive in their hiring. Also that you should expect things like schedule changes and problems with your paycheck to be resolved in a similar manner. Thirdly, expect at least a week of training before you have your own section and are making tips.

Sorry to be such a bucket of cold water, like others have said- there is no reason to have that many interviews for a server position. I have a pretty good track record for hiring good people, and two interviews was the absolute max. And even that only happened if I was seriously on the fence about somebody and wanted my boss to weigh in. If that's the case with you, it might be because of your friend. Managers tend to be extra careful about hiring friends and relatives because it can contribute to clique culture which is a pain in the rear end to deal with. Your friend's reputation will be a factor in their decision, and they will assume you are going to be a lot like your friend.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Nah, you were right. I called them back and they said they didn't want me after all. Now begins panic and anxiety as I have no money and only 2 days of work this week. That was a waste of valuable time I could have spent looking for another job.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Black August posted:

Nah, you were right. I called them back and they said they didn't want me after all. Now begins panic and anxiety as I have no money and only 2 days of work this week. That was a waste of valuable time I could have spent looking for another job.

I think you dodged a bullet. Good luck

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Black August posted:

You didn't want that job anyway trust me.

Aye-Aye
Jan 23, 2007

We've become more monster than monkey.

Liquid Communism posted:

No offense, but every time I hear this pulled out, it's usually from someone who's never worked outside the industry. Is that the case for you?

Cooking is fun. Sit behind a desk and do office bullshit for 3 years. You'll wonder why you left.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Aye-Aye posted:

Cooking is fun. Sit behind a desk and do office bullshit for 3 years. You'll wonder why you left.

I got a free 22-lb turkey from the owner of my company today and I'm posting while I'm making plans for my two days of paid vacation on both thanksgiving and the day before.

EDIT: I seriously wonder why I left the business too when I hit Thursday, but getting a paystub to look at every week is a pretty serious reminder.

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 26, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I still cook. However, I cook only for friends and families now. Meaning I can take my time in my own kitchen, and I'm not under the purview of a psychotic Cambodian chef. Trust me, it's better.

Lt Greatsocks
Nov 4, 2009
Hey brick cow, you ever done any social media marketing? The restaurant I work for (breakfast and lunch, the owners also own a steakhouse) does a small amount of stuff on facebook and also uses some kind of marketing program (I believe it's called Simple, but I can't find it on the internet right now, poo poo ain't free either). The marketing program sends out emails and texts out to some odd 700-800 customers. However it is mostly directed at steakhouse customers and I work at the brunch place, which leaves me with Facebook. I posted the specials in the morning last weekend. Our page has 700 likes, my post on saturday got 12 likes and was seen by 290 people, 211 on Sunday. For something that didn't cost us money that's not half bad and I think we could reach more people easily but I don't really know how. Oh, we also put out coupons for both restaurants in local papers recently. I'm not sure how to go about broadening the scope of people we reach.

I guess there's always having servers mention that we on facebook and putting it on our business card, which it might already be. I feel like that might be kind of annoying to sell our facebook really hard, especially since we live literally hundreds of feet from a 55+ trailer park and the lion's share of our regulars are relatively old. Anyways, if this is in your wheelhouse I would love advice on expanding our potential customer base on facebook and figuring out some way to get feedback from that. Also, I would be interested to know if you think mailing could be effective in our situation (small town, lots of tourists, fantastic reputation in our community, 600-ish people from 7 to 3 on a good day). We also do a decent amount of catering and special orders for our desserts (we got mad dessert breads and such).

I would love any advice you have to give, although the owner is kind of a control freak and I don't know how he'd react to me broaching the subject of mail based marketing. Maybe if I do well with facebook he would be more open to the idea.

TLDR: Hi brick cow! Facebook marketing?!?

Also, I prep cooked for the first time today! It was fun and I still have all my fingers!

Lt Greatsocks fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 26, 2013

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Lt Greatsocks posted:

Hey brick cow,
**EDITED OUT BECAUSE ITS RIGHT ABOVE THIS POST**

I've only work with social media very briefly. It wasn't the purview at my job but I consulted for a little place a couple years ago and we worked on it. So some of this is guessing, some is applying marketing techniques, and the rest opinion.

A rule for rstaurants is that it's really word of mouth that sells. Your (hopefully) happy customers are your best salesmen.

Facebook specifically. I think most people see posts on facebook and instantly forget them unless they're amazing. Also, since FB added the promote post "feature" when you post something it doesn't even show up for all the people who "like" you. You have to pay to get it out to all the people who "like" you. I think paying to promote posts is a huge waste of money unless you have some big event that you want to get out there. However, posting a brunch menu or simply inviting people to come in is a good idea, it takes five minutes, it's free, if you get one person out of it you've already gained.

What I would do is send out a coupon code through FB to the people who "like" your page with something like "introduce us to a friend and they eat free." Then you hope they actually bring in someone new and you make a good enough impression on the new person. Then collect hose codes and start compiling your list of people who will use the code and bring in new people. It's the same idea from my earlier post.

A few things about it: If you/servers/hostess recognize the customer and they using the code for a free meal for their spouse with whom they eat every weekend, for God sakes, let it slide. I've seen servers get angry with customers because it wasn't somebody new and that never ends up in the business favor. Also if you're making up coupon codes by hand, make it something easy for you to descipher but something that actually looks like a code. I like something simple like a first and last initial then a portion of the date and then a little substitution like - one to the first digit then + one to the next digit. so BC1125 becomes AD0316. Now it looks like a coupon code and not just- Anyway you get the gist. I wouldn't hit your entire list at once. Depending on what the owners comfortable with potentially giving away, I 'd start with just 50 coupons but even 10 or 20 could give you some idea on how much of a return you're going to get.

Getting new "likes" on FB. Make it so there's a return for "like"ing you. Put on your facebook that every month you randomly send out X number of buy one get one coupons (if you did the above) or free dessert coupons or whatever the owner's comfortable with. Have the servers mention the same thing.

Older people are more difficult to market to. Is your town predominantly older or just your clientele? The best way to get older people in is to biuld a personal rapport with them. Become their friend. Have a manager (or if I had a sit down place I'd hire someone to just do this) go to every table and talk to them. Ask them about their kids, their friends, their family- something will come up like it's so and so's birthday next week or my kid is coming into town. Then you offer them a free piece of cake or even just suggest they come in because you'd like to meet their kids or whatever.

Tourism stuff. If you're near a national park (or whatever is driving the traffic: amusement park, great bar, etc) get in good with the people from that establishment. If it's a limited number of people like park rangers then feed them all free or half price, just give them a great deal. If its a large number like amusement park workers give them some kind of significant discount. Same thing goes for lodging employees in your area. These are the people that tourists ask where to eat.

I like the mailing idea because it's personal and once established very powerful. But it does have it's drawbacks. It's expensive. It takes at least six months (more likely a year) before you have enough data to start using it really effectively. It really depends on the size of your town and the population density. And personally I think bringing a paper coupon into a sit down restaurant seems unclassy. If your place is basically a diner doing good food I wouldn't mind a coupon but if it's trying to even be a little bit classy I'd forgo them.

And newspapers. Newspaper coupons are a bad expensive idea. Bad. Bad. First, the whole paper coupon to a classy joint as above. People under 50 don't read newspapers. If you print coupons in the newspapers every or every other week you create a percieved value of your product as being lower than the actual selling price. Which means people start to only eat with coupons. The only time I'd ever use newspapers was if I was advertizing a big event like a holiday thing, grand opening, etc.

I think I got everything.

TL;DR the main goal of marketing a restaurant is to get your customers to do the marketing for you. Bring them in, make them happy and give em a reason to bring in someone new.

I've only ever lost flesh and blood and required stitches doing prep work while I was sober. Never once cut myself while inebriated. I'm pretty sure there no lesson you need to take about prepping from that but it's true.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

brick cow posted:

I've only ever lost flesh and blood and required stitches doing prep work while I was sober. Never once cut myself while inebriated. I'm pretty sure there no lesson you need to take about prepping from that but it's true.

Now that I think back, that's true for me too. Plenty of nasty cuts/burns/etc sober, but I can't recall any actual damage while/after drinking.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Aye-Aye posted:

Then you'll get your paycheck, or take a day off because your're sick and both get paid and have insurance, and figure it out. :v:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping to land a job doing officey stuff someplace that does something that I actually care about and might have a future doing. The problem is a lot of the jobs like the one you described also inexplicably require a bachelors degree and three years office experience, but I've been told by quite a few people to ignore that and apply anyway if it's something I'm otherwise qualified for. I'm also looking for desk jobs with companies like Sysco where my experience is actually relevant.

this sounds like an excuse

you're never going to find an office job doing something you actually care about and might build into a future. at least, not coming from no bachelors degree and no three years experience working in an office.

hell you probably wouldn't find an office job doing something you actually care about with 5-10 years experience and a postgrad degree. office jobs suck, even if you're working for that local organic charity non-profit that totally promotes the future of sustainable eating and donates to local schools or whatever.

the point is (at least at this point), you should just apply to everything you possibly can, and start making more money - if you want to exit culinary world, I mean. don't say reasons why you can't or shouldn't do whatever, just apply. and don't apply half-heartedly, expecting you'll be turned down.

anything that pays you above what you make now and gains you some relevant experience in office world (counted towards that 3 year minimum you mentioned) is solid gold.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

this sounds like an excuse

you're never going to find an office job doing something you actually care about and might build into a future. at least, not coming from no bachelors degree and no three years experience working in an office.

You're probably right. I have a lot of excuses not to work (We can live on my husband's salary, I am not super psyched about leaving the industry, I have health concerns that weigh heavily into choosing a job) but none of those things are as significant as the fact that I can't just sit around the house all day being useless or I'll go back into a depressive death spiral.

Thanks (really) for the motivational rear end-kicking. Time to send out some more resumes and make follow-up calls. I've got a lead on a good temp agency- that might be a good fit for now.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

keeping busy stuff

If you are financially stable there is the third option of volunteer work to keep yourself busy. When it's cold out soup kitchens are in extra demand of helping hands.

I'm not a bleedin-heart liberal but it sounds like your current problem is more to keep busy than a paycheck and that you're not happy with workin' for THE MAN. Volunteer work addresses all those issues. Just throwing it out there in case you haven't thought of it.

e: spellings

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

You're probably right. I have a lot of excuses not to work (We can live on my husband's salary, I am not super psyched about leaving the industry, I have health concerns that weigh heavily into choosing a job) but none of those things are as significant as the fact that I can't just sit around the house all day being useless or I'll go back into a depressive death spiral.

Thanks (really) for the motivational rear end-kicking. Time to send out some more resumes and make follow-up calls. I've got a lead on a good temp agency- that might be a good fit for now.

Oh, he is 100% right. Do you have any idea how many people want that office job right now? And 98% of them have a Bachelors or higher.

My GF is in the exact same boat right now. Specially here in the Boston area, having no college degree drastically reduces your job prospects. Also, she has had two major surgeries this year, so she hasn't been able to work much, and it's driving her insane. Right now she could be working 60 hours week cooking, but she can't stand on her gimpy foot for more then an hour. So, I've been teaching her how to be a consultant (I do analytics and business process engineering). She actually landed a consulting gig helping some folks down in Florida start up a new restaurant: recipe development, food sourcing, nutritional calculations, etc. etc. At some point they going to fly her down to hire and train the staff. This has been a great transition, because she doesn't have to stand all day.

So the work isn't as steady, you have to file taxes as self-employed, and you have learn a bunch of the consulting "soft skills", but she is making WAY MORE money then she ever did being directly employed. More importantly, shady business owners used to "hire" her for basically the same work, but give her the low pay that most food-service workers typically earn. Rebranding yourself as a consultant is a great way to move up, but its an entirely different mindset that you have to learn. This could be an option for you, given that you don't have to worry about health care bennies.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

how to be a consultant

How does one break into a consulting gig? I think that'd be perfect for my skillset.

I've posted a bit about marketing in here lately but marketing truly is the whole package top to bottom and I know it. I spent two years being the guy they'd send to failing stores as "officially the assistant manager but the RGM can't fire you and you're responsible for turning this place around" guy. And I was drat good at it. I've also consulted privately to a couple places for free because I ate there and happened to think they weren't getting the business they deserved. Admittedly, one was a terrific failure because they wouldn't change anything. (Sell soda from a fountain instead of at 75 cents a can I bought at costco, no way!) The other, last time I checked on them, were doing pretty well.

I don't have PM but if this isn't the place to talk, I'm at iambutter.josh at gmail.com

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

I think you dodged a bullet. Good luck

bowmore posted:

You didn't want that job anyway trust me.

I know. I was just really eager to finally be a server and make a liveable wage, and now I'm in a red hot panic since I have no money left after this month, and still no other job prospects after all the resumes and calls made so far. I've only been assigned to work 3 days this week, one of which is NOT Thanksgiving, so I'll miss out on those tips -- it's already become obvious the owner is trying to phase out people he doesn't like, the same is happening to other servers and not just me. Now I'm worried nobody else is going to hire during the holiday times, so I'm just completely lost and upset. I never thought I'd be employed and STILL at risk of becoming homeless.

Wrought, do what you think will make you happy. From my own experience, an office job was terribly dull and lonely, and I ended up liking the restaurant business so much because I really do enjoy the fast pace and constant social interaction, but I'm an outlier and I know it. Totally try consulting instead, because then you can be in the thick of things without getting your hands burned, so to speak. Good luck to you as well.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

brick cow posted:

How does one break into a consulting gig? I think that'd be perfect for my skillset.

What is the strongest, most frequently used tool in the consulting toolbox? Telling stories. You need to be constantly, consciously, crafting the narrative... all the world is a stage.

brick cow posted:

I've posted a bit about marketing in here lately but marketing truly is the whole package top to bottom and I know it. I spent two years being the guy they'd send to failing stores as "officially the assistant manager but the RGM can't fire you and you're responsible for turning this place around" guy. And I was drat good at it. I've also consulted privately to a couple places for free because I ate there and happened to think they weren't getting the business they deserved.

:golfclap: Good work, keep telling that story, honing it.

What is the first rule of Consulting Club? Be like Cesar Milan. Calm, Cool, Assertiveness.

I'm not joking here, as a consultant you need to project a strong presence, and can't lose you cool. Regardless of what they want from you, what they are paying you for is Calm, Cool, Assertiveness. You don't have to have all the answers, you just have to have the confidence that you will help the client figure them out.

If you want to learn about process, go watch Gordon Ramsey's restaurant turn around shows (the ones where he yells less). The man has no compunction laying boiler-plate solutions on those people, because that is what they need. But they also need a kick in the rear end to do the right things. It doesn't matter if the client is a failing mom and pop resturant or a top five bank, that dynamic works the exact same way.

brick cow posted:

Admittedly, one was a terrific failure because they wouldn't change anything.

Welcome to the club! This will happen over and over again, don't let it get to you. You can lead a client to water, but you can't make him drink. Good luck!

EDIT: Thanks for the interesting discussion on restaurant coupons and business development, that sounds like very fertile soil for doing marketing consulting for restaurants. Which reminds me, one of my college buddies does marketing consulting for a guy in Philly who owns 4 ChickFilas, so don't discount fast food places as a potential source of clients. Some of those fast food guys own like 20 stores in a region, and are way more likely to outsource things like marketing.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 26, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Black August posted:

I know. I was just really eager to finally be a server and make a liveable wage, and now I'm in a red hot panic since I have no money left after this month, and still no other job prospects after all the resumes and calls made so far. I've only been assigned to work 3 days this week, one of which is NOT Thanksgiving, so I'll miss out on those tips -- it's already become obvious the owner is trying to phase out people he doesn't like, the same is happening to other servers and not just me. Now I'm worried nobody else is going to hire during the holiday times, so I'm just completely lost and upset. I never thought I'd be employed and STILL at risk of becoming homeless.

I'm not sure about the situation at your place being that it sounds like the owner may have it out for you, but from personal experience I've found that it's pretty easy to pick up shifts from other servers who'd prefer to have the time off on/around Thanksgiving (and most other holidays). You should ask around or post a note on the schedule offering to pick up anyone's shifts who's interested in giving them to you. At least it'd help keep you off the streets for a while...

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

I do not discount fast food. It's what I really know. What I'd really end game like to have is a real cheesesteak place in northern Utah. We get cheesesteaks here on large hot dog buns, it's disgusting.

I've worked both in UT and in PA as the guy who fixes stuff. At thirteen dollars an hour. I finally got my own store in UT and hosed myself over by dating an employee. In PA I was kept waiting and waiting for a year while jumping from store to store while they were "building me a brand new store" then suddenly everything in the area was bought out by franchise and all deals were off. So I quit. So, I've done the whole consulting gig only being paid crap wages.

I have the process, I've watched all of the Hell's Kitchens american and british and done it in reality to a dozen places. My question is how to get in with the owners of new places or is there a somewhere to post where people are looking for help? For example, how did your girlfriend get in with a company states away?

I edited your quote for only the golf clap because it made me laugh

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Midniter posted:

I'm not sure about the situation at your place being that it sounds like the owner may have it out for you, but from personal experience I've found that it's pretty easy to pick up shifts from other servers who'd prefer to have the time off on/around Thanksgiving (and most other holidays). You should ask around or post a note on the schedule offering to pick up anyone's shifts who's interested in giving them to you. At least it'd help keep you off the streets for a while...

I have. I'm just a busser, mind you. But the only one being targeted, while there's like 2-3 unhappy servers being messed with from what I've picked up. There's nobody to take shifts from sadly, there's one chronic busser who has been there for 5 years who works a double at least 4 days a week, and is also part of the cleaning team for the place, AND is one of the people responsible for getting other people she or the owner dislikes fired. There's no real open slots I could snatch up that would make a difference, especially since the bigger problem is that I get cut constantly because business is so poor; even if I got more shifts, I'd end up losing them anyways.

I wish this was hyperbole. I just try to keep my head down and work, but even that's not enough to avoid crossfire, so I'm stuck trying to find a new job and I am having the worst luck.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Final (sheesh I hope) interview with an SVP for this data gig in Boulder, then tomorrow I go to Queens to interview for the wine data job. Then I'm spending Thanksgiving with my friend who works at Nomad and his fam (already planning an epic meal), then back for the final week of college EVER. Adulthood is approaching rapidly.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Oh, he is 100% right. Do you have any idea how many people want that office job right now? And 98% of them have a Bachelors or higher.

My GF is in the exact same boat right now. Specially here in the Boston area, having no college degree drastically reduces your job prospects. Also, she has had two major surgeries this year, so she hasn't been able to work much, and it's driving her insane. Right now she could be working 60 hours week cooking, but she can't stand on her gimpy foot for more then an hour. So, I've been teaching her how to be a consultant (I do analytics and business process engineering). She actually landed a consulting gig helping some folks down in Florida start up a new restaurant: recipe development, food sourcing, nutritional calculations, etc. etc. At some point they going to fly her down to hire and train the staff. This has been a great transition, because she doesn't have to stand all day.

So the work isn't as steady, you have to file taxes as self-employed, and you have learn a bunch of the consulting "soft skills", but she is making WAY MORE money then she ever did being directly employed. More importantly, shady business owners used to "hire" her for basically the same work, but give her the low pay that most food-service workers typically earn. Rebranding yourself as a consultant is a great way to move up, but its an entirely different mindset that you have to learn. This could be an option for you, given that you don't have to worry about health care bennies.

Consulting crossed my mind but I dismissed it thinking I was underqualified- I've never been Exec at any place larger than a 35-foot schooner. I might revisit that at some point.

The current Great Idea is to go to school to be a radiologic technician. Pay is good, the course is 18 months and there's room for upward mobility. Health care is a growing field so getting a job would be fairly easy, and I'd still be interacting with "guests" and not sitting down very much. And I would get to wear a very comfortable uniform. I think this one might be a winner. Office work is not going to work out for me unless I wake up one day and find I suddenly enjoy it. Also, I can get tuition assistance from the Army since it's considered a "portable career" and doesn't require a Bachelors. (Military spouses can't get tuition assistance for anything above an Associates. Yeah. I know.) I'd only have to take out a couple grand in student loans.

Next step is more research and finding the downsides.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Terrifying! Let us know when you move to Queens, we'll get you drinking some good wine (lots. lots of good wine).

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Vegetable Melange posted:

Terrifying! Let us know when you move to Queens, we'll get you drinking some good wine (lots. lots of good wine).

Yeah.. well it's really going to come down to the nuts and bolts of it all (Boulder is def. going to give me an offer), but I'm secretly hoping that they blow me away tomorrow and make the choice easy. Friend of a friend in Boulder actually works for one of their distributors out there, and says that he basically gets infinite wine. How much of a salary do I need to live in Astoria?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Ghost peppers cure sinus infections, I think I'm onto something here.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I put a christmas bow on a new bottle of Jameson and left it on my desk for when I get home today. Two days' breakfast production cooling, proofer entirely full of rolls, wAiting ondough to come up so I can shape loaves next.

Gotta love Thanksgiving.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wroughtirony posted:

Consulting crossed my mind but I dismissed it thinking I was underqualified- I've never been Exec at any place larger than a 35-foot schooner. I might revisit that at some point.

The current Great Idea is to go to school to be a radiologic technician. Pay is good, the course is 18 months and there's room for upward mobility. Health care is a growing field so getting a job would be fairly easy, and I'd still be interacting with "guests" and not sitting down very much. And I would get to wear a very comfortable uniform. I think this one might be a winner. Office work is not going to work out for me unless I wake up one day and find I suddenly enjoy it. Also, I can get tuition assistance from the Army since it's considered a "portable career" and doesn't require a Bachelors. (Military spouses can't get tuition assistance for anything above an Associates. Yeah. I know.) I'd only have to take out a couple grand in student loans.

Next step is more research and finding the downsides.

Why not join the military so you're always with your husband, can't get fired (even YOU couldn't screw that one up [I kid because I love]), will get some on-the-job skills for whatever employment path you follow, AND get GI Bill money? It's win-win-win-win!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Turkeybone posted:

Yeah.. well it's really going to come down to the nuts and bolts of it all (Boulder is def. going to give me an offer), but I'm secretly hoping that they blow me away tomorrow and make the choice easy. Friend of a friend in Boulder actually works for one of their distributors out there, and says that he basically gets infinite wine. How much of a salary do I need to live in Astoria?

Not that much depending on how you feel about commuting. Also I don't know where the sw&s offices are. But if your instincts aren't to lace up your gloves and put on your drinking pants to come compete with the big boys and girls in the nations largest liquor market, well, maybe Colorado isn't so bad. But we finna take some cracks at ya if that's the case.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
We're past this a bit but I learned how restaurant.com spefically does it.

When a customer buys a $50 coupon for $25 then restaurant.com pays the restaurant $20.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Thanksgiving photo dump.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Thanksgiving photo dump.

Oh yes. Lookin' fine as wine there. Speaking of, I better head to the store and pick some up before it gets too late.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Not sw&s, the other one. Their offices are right near LaGuardia.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Why can't my doctor just give me more drugs for my muscle spasms instead of sending me to physical therapy? I don't have time for that, I have to work!

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Do inversion therapy while on the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Why can't my doctor just give me more drugs for my muscle spasms instead of sending me to physical therapy? I don't have time for that, I have to work!

One of these two things is a long term fix. Remember, despite how we all behave, it isn't worth sacrificing your long term health and ability to work in order to cover shifts in the short term.

• Locked thread