Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

In Thor : The Dark World the crazy teleporty stuff ends up with Thor being dropped into Charing Cross tube station. He asks for directions back to Greenwich where the fight is, gets told to take the train for three stops. It's funny because he's in his armour on the tube, hilarious!

The station he's in is painted a plain green. The real Charing Cross looks like this:

Sure, filming in a real tube station is kinda difficult. But why pick the most distinctive station in the whole country? And why pick one that's half the city away from Greenwich, not three stops? It's 8 stops with a ten minute walk at Waterloo to get on the right line.

Yeah but that was the part of the movie where random wormholes were dumping people out onto different planets and then dragging them back to Earth, and that train has passed Greenwich six times since the fight started and the passenger who tells him has been waiting for their stop FOREVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Just saw Dallas Buyers Club and it's not really a plot spoiler but, the main character goes home to his trailer and finds it locked with a notice to vacate order on the door. He takes his shotgun and blows a perfectly cylindrical hole out of the door to open it. Kind of a spergy thing but seeing that smooth-edged hole took me right out of the movie for a few minutes.

Der Luftwaffle has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Nov 23, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

In Thor : The Dark World the crazy teleporty stuff ends up with Thor being dropped into Charing Cross tube station. He asks for directions back to Greenwich where the fight is, gets told to take the train for three stops. It's funny because he's in his armour on the tube, hilarious!

The station he's in is painted a plain green. The real Charing Cross looks like this:

Sure, filming in a real tube station is kinda difficult. But why pick the most distinctive station in the whole country? And why pick one that's half the city away from Greenwich, not three stops? It's 8 stops with a ten minute walk at Waterloo to get on the right line.

Because people might actually have heard of Charing Cross, but 99% of them will never have been there.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
In Tremors, why didn't the Graboids just knock down that telephone pole that the drunk guy climbed up. I know he died anyway but it's a pole and it's still standing.. in about an hour they'll be tearing down entire stores. Poles go pretty far underground, they could have rammed it and knocked the delicious Edgar down and et 'im.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Supreme Allah posted:

In Tremors, why didn't the Graboids just knock down that telephone pole that the drunk guy climbed up. I know he died anyway but it's a pole and it's still standing.. in about an hour they'll be tearing down entire stores. Poles go pretty far underground, they could have rammed it and knocked the delicious Edgar down and et 'im.

They probably didn't know he was up there.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They probably didn't know he was up there.

Possibly. But he stayed up there and died of thirst, so he was afraid/knew they were waiting, and they would only wait if they knew where he was. Plus, the telephone pole is a perfect tuning fork into the ground so any movement would be amplified.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

Possibly. But he stayed up there and died of thirst, so he was afraid/knew they were waiting, and they would only wait if they knew where he was. Plus, the telephone pole is a perfect tuning fork into the ground so any movement would be amplified.

It wasn't just a telephone pole, it was one of those really huge high-voltage power line towers.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Supreme Allah posted:

Or drunk guy just isn't that bright and is so scared that he stays up there and dies without ever knowing if they've left or not.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

LeJackal posted:

It wasn't just a telephone pole, it was one of those really huge high-voltage power line towers.

Yeah, this. It wasn't some dinky little pole.

One thing I never got in that flick is how the Graboids managed to leave Fred's head just laying under a hat nice and neat. Every other time they emerge, they explode out of the ground and displace a lot of earth.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Yeah, this. It wasn't some dinky little pole.

One thing I never got in that flick is how the Graboids managed to leave Fred's head just laying under a hat nice and neat. Every other time they emerge, they explode out of the ground and displace a lot of earth.

I like to think they left his head like that as bait for a coyote.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I thought they used their 'snake' tongues to pull him under and bit off his body.

C'mon, this is like asking how assblasters are able to produce enough rear end gas to fly. Or why a giant worm thing has so many lifecycle stages in the first place. Or how a creature tens of millions of years old was never discovered before some loveable rednecks in some podunk town started getting eaten by them and then started appearing as far away as Mexico.

Tremors is the best comedy monster series, but you can't look too closely at it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

LeJackal posted:

Crap you're right, I don't know why I had an image of a telephone pole in my head. That towers actually a really smart hiding place (if he had water)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bFi99Kojrc

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

Or how a creature tens of millions of years old was never discovered before some loveable rednecks in some podunk town started getting eaten by them and then started appearing as far away as Mexico.

Tremors is the best comedy monster series, but you can't look too closely at it.

The best thing about Tremors is when they say "These things have existed since the precambrian era!", even the least-educated person pointed out how impossible that was. The response was "Yeah, but here they are, so :iiam:"

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

I thought they used their 'snake' tongues to pull him under and bit off his body.

C'mon, this is like asking how assblasters are able to produce enough rear end gas to fly. Or why a giant worm thing has so many lifecycle stages in the first place. Or how a creature tens of millions of years old was never discovered before some loveable rednecks in some podunk town started getting eaten by them and then started appearing as far away as Mexico.

werent they trapped in a valley or something and only set free once they started blasting away poo poo so they could build a new highway or overpass?

I also reccomend everyone watch the Tremors tv show, it was gloriously absurd.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching The King's Speech and while its a good movie I am kind of bothered by the fact that Guy Pearce is 7 years younger than Colin Firth, who plays the younger brother.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

muscles like this? posted:

Watching The King's Speech and while its a good movie I am kind of bothered by the fact that Guy Pearce is 7 years younger than Colin Firth, who plays the younger brother.

Sean Connery played Harrison Ford's dad in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and is only 12 years older than him.

I mean...technically he still could have been his dad if he hit puberty nice and early, but that's clearly not the case in the movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sean Connery played Harrison Ford's dad in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and is only 12 years older than him.

I mean...technically he still could have been his dad if he hit puberty nice and early, but that's clearly not the case in the movie.

Sean Connery aged way better than Harrison Ford.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm starting to hate Harrison Ford. He doesn't try anymore. He has tons of money so I don't understand why he keeps putting in poo poo performances. Ender's Game isn't amazing or anything but he made it worse.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm starting to hate Harrison Ford. He doesn't try anymore. He has tons of money so I don't understand why he keeps putting in poo poo performances. Ender's Game isn't amazing or anything but he made it worse.

If you want a dude who used to be a good actor, but has stopped caring and sold out I would direct you to Tom Hanks. He used to be so good and now he so bad and keeps making insufferable movies.

Just stop Tom Hanks, please.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Last time I saw him was in Cloud Atlas and he was great.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a result of not really wanting to act any more, but studios still bank on you and offer a huge paycheck for your involvement. It's easy, effortless money. He stopped caring a long time ago, they just pay him to show up. I'd do the same drat thing.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Slim Killington posted:

It's a result of not really wanting to act any more, but studios still bank on you and offer a huge paycheck for your involvement. It's easy, effortless money. He stopped caring a long time ago, they just pay him to show up. I'd do the same drat thing.

Nail on the head: Harrison Ford Begs Agents To Just Let Him Die Now.

It's a shame, though. Ender's Game had a lot of problems, but it wasn't helped by the fact that Harrison Ford looked miserable the entire time. Especially next to Ben Kingsley, who actually looked like he was enjoying himself.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Last time I saw him was in Cloud Atlas and he was great.

Also Captains Phillips was pretty on point. But I have been a die hard Tom Hanks fan forever and will be till I die. He can DO NO WRONG!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

Nail on the head: Harrison Ford Begs Agents To Just Let Him Die Now.

It's a shame, though. Ender's Game had a lot of problems, but it wasn't helped by the fact that Harrison Ford looked miserable the entire time. Especially next to Ben Kingsley, who actually looked like he was enjoying himself.

Kingsley is another actor who'll do any part, but I get the impression the dude just loves the hell out of acting. I read an interview with him about that awful Thunderbirds film, and he basically took the part to unwind with some scenery chewing after a really dark, stressful film.

Although given how pretentious he is at times, maybe he genuinely thinks Bloodrayne is a deep and meaningful movie.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mu Zeta posted:

While I haven't finished it yet (LAZINESS!!) this brings up Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls for me. I'm not really bothered by the ridiculous plot elements of the film, after all, this the third sequel to a film featuring a magic box from heaven that lets out ghosts to melt the faces off bad guys (Uh, spoilers I guess) so seriousness isn't exactly its strong suit. No, it's an inverse reaction to how GOOD Ford is. The second he is shown on screen, you know it's Indy, and you don't for a second thing "oh I'm just watching another Harrison Ford action movie" like you would with so many other things. You can tell he's having fun and genuinely enjoys the character. And so he doesn't phone it in. And he outdoes his last decade of performances just when he's STANDING STILL, let alone when he's actually trying to do something on screen. And it infuriates me because he's obviously such a good actor when he wants to be, and at the same time he obviously just doesn't care a drat bit about his job 98% of the time. I sure hope he loves Han Solo.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Choco1980 posted:

While I haven't finished it yet (LAZINESS!!) this brings up Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls for me. I'm not really bothered by the ridiculous plot elements of the film, after all, this the third sequel to a film featuring a magic box from heaven that lets out ghosts to melt the faces off bad guys (Uh, spoilers I guess) so seriousness isn't exactly its strong suit. No, it's an inverse reaction to how GOOD Ford is. The second he is shown on screen, you know it's Indy, and you don't for a second thing "oh I'm just watching another Harrison Ford action movie" like you would with so many other things. You can tell he's having fun and genuinely enjoys the character. And so he doesn't phone it in. And he outdoes his last decade of performances just when he's STANDING STILL, let alone when he's actually trying to do something on screen. And it infuriates me because he's obviously such a good actor when he wants to be, and at the same time he obviously just doesn't care a drat bit about his job 98% of the time. I sure hope he loves Han Solo.

I don't think he does like Han Solo, the had him frozen in carbonite because they weren't sure if he was coming back for Return of the Jedi. Then again he did come back, so who knows. It is frustrating to see people like Harrison Ford and Bruce Willis just sleepwalk through roles though.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Kingsley is another actor who'll do any part, but I get the impression the dude just loves the hell out of acting.
I love these kinds of actors because even when you end up watching a lovely movie, if you see someone like Ben Kingsley, you'll at least feel relieved. Michael Clarke Duncan was another actor who was in a lot of crappy movies but did a really good job in all of them.

Something I really don't get about one of the Twilight movies, how come Leah is treated like a bitch for being bitter about her long term boyfriend (who is supposed to be a really nice guy) suddenly dumping her for her cousin whom he just met? Said boyfriend also ends up badly scarring the cousin's face when she tells him to go back to Leah, so the cousin just gives up and decides to be with him anyway. I mean, any sane person would be pissed.

This is pretty common and similar to what I said about Orange Is The New Black, but I'll say it anyway. Gigli is a terrible movie but why does everyone (including Ricki herself) refer to Ricki as a "lesbian" if she happily sleeps with Ben Affleck and some other dudes. Does Ben Affleck have magic powers that makes lesbians fall for him or were the people who were involved in the movie just really stupid?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Celery Face posted:

This is pretty common and similar to what I said about Orange Is The New Black, but I'll say it anyway. Gigli is a terrible movie but why does everyone (including Ricki herself) refer to Ricki as a "lesbian" if she happily sleeps with Ben Affleck and some other dudes. Does Ben Affleck have magic powers that makes lesbians fall for him or were the people who were involved in the movie just really stupid?

I don't think a lot of writers have ever met a gay or lesbian person. In Torchwood a straight character starts banging a dude and mentions that "I'm still straight, it's just him."

I imagine it pisses LGBT people off about as much as whitewash casting does me.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Celery Face posted:

Sort of like the film Chasing Amy: I think the film is eventually pretty clear that Amy IS likely bisexual, but I don't think the term is ever used once and no one really even seems to suggest it. Part of which makes me think the film is as much about saying how Smith sees bisexuality in the gay/lesbian/straight communities as it is the 'straight guy/lesbian love story' plot.

Part of me thinks bisexuality is maybe more difficult to explain than just full-out gay, lesbian or straight. Just saying, "I'm Gay/Lesbian" because then they don't have to explain:

"I'm a female-preferencing bisexual, which means I'm basically in a lesbian in your eyes, but I've had straight relationships in the past. While I am capable of being sexually and romantically attracted to men, my preference towards women is not a 'phase' or an 'experimentation', nor that I'm really 'straight' because I've had heterosexual relationships."

edit: But I'm not a gay, lesbian or bisexual person (to my knowledge) so I don't really know how valid my observations are.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Razorwired posted:

I don't think a lot of writers have ever met a gay or lesbian person. In Torchwood a straight character starts banging a dude and mentions that "I'm still straight, it's just him."

I imagine it pisses LGBT people off about as much as whitewash casting does me.

Actually no. I'm queer and that kind of stuff is all cool, and I've never really seen anyone mind about it too much as long as people understand that that's not representative of everyone. Sexuality and identity is really, really variable and there are plenty of people who identify as straight or gay who end up in relationships that would imply the opposite, or have sex with people of the gender that they aren't (usually) attracted to. That poo poo is complicated. There's also the fact that even people who will identify as queer in the future might not want to if they've always thought they were straight before and they're only just starting to realise they might not be.

And you're using Torchwood as an example, really? A show invented by a gay dude and with a gay dude in the lead and with other main characters of varying sexualities? That's like the only thing the show has going for it.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

Sort of like the film Chasing Amy: I think the film is eventually pretty clear that Amy IS likely bisexual, but I don't think the term is ever used once and no one really even seems to suggest it. Part of which makes me think the film is as much about saying how Smith sees bisexuality in the gay/lesbian/straight communities as it is the 'straight guy/lesbian love story' plot.

Part of me thinks bisexuality is maybe more difficult to explain than just full-out gay, lesbian or straight. Just saying, "I'm Gay/Lesbian" because then they don't have to explain:

"I'm a female-preferencing bisexual, which means I'm basically in a lesbian in your eyes, but I've had straight relationships in the past. While I am capable of being sexually and romantically attracted to men, my preference towards women is not a 'phase' or an 'experimentation', nor that I'm really 'straight' because I've had heterosexual relationships."

edit: But I'm not a gay, lesbian or bisexual person (to my knowledge) so I don't really know how valid my observations are.
It does make sense because Kevin Smith is kind of a moron, but I don't get what's so hard about explaining "I'm bisexual but I like women more." It's weird enough that they didn't even use the term itself. But then again, that movie was made in 1997 and I was a year old at that time, so I might be wrong.

I just remembered, this guy does a pretty good analysis both Chasing Amy and Gigli.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=258S8HVbDoQ

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Nov 26, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Organza Quiz posted:

Actually no. I'm queer and that kind of stuff is all cool, and I've never really seen anyone mind about it too much as long as people understand that that's not representative of everyone. Sexuality and identity is really, really variable and there are plenty of people who identify as straight or gay who end up in relationships that would imply the opposite, or have sex with people of the gender that they aren't (usually) attracted to. That poo poo is complicated. There's also the fact that even people who will identify as queer in the future might not want to if they've always thought they were straight before and they're only just starting to realise they might not be.

And you're using Torchwood as an example, really? A show invented by a gay dude and with a gay dude in the lead and with other main characters of varying sexualities? That's like the only thing the show has going for it.

Not to turn this into a SJW conversation, because I absolutely abhor that poo poo; but for the record, I'm bi and it does offend me quite a bit. But I just deal with it, because I know that regardless of if they're straight or gay, the vast majority of folks out there assume bis are either just confused and will decide which they want to be more some day, or else are "just greedy", and hollywood's hardly going to be the place that opinion changes first.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Not to turn this into a SJW conversation, because I absolutely abhor that poo poo; but for the record, I'm bi and it does offend me quite a bit. But I just deal with it, because I know that regardless of if they're straight or gay, the vast majority of folks out there assume bis are either just confused and will decide which they want to be more some day, or else are "just greedy", and hollywood's hardly going to be the place that opinion changes first.

That poo poo is bad, but I didn't think that's what we were talking about in this case. I'm talking about people choosing to identify or label themselves as either straight or gay/lesbian when their actual attractions are more wide than that. That's a completely separate thing to awful stereotypes about people who identify as bi.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well it kind of is the same thing, because the complaint was how so many times in movies and on tv if they didn't have that stigma and were able to just say "They're bi." there'd be no confusion or anything. Now granted, in the Chasing Amy situation, it's pretty obvious that she's confused about deciding "hey, I still like some guys, this one in particular" and I'd leave it at that if it weren't for the fact that so much of the problem stems from her long history of switching teams heavily. Like JediTalentAgent said, in that particular case, it's pretty obvious that yes, you're bi. I haven't seen Gigli, so I can't speak for where it stands on the issue, though the commercials and other materials led me to believe at the time of its release that Jennifer Lopez's character was a lesbian who ends up falling into a romance with Ben Affleck's character, which could go all sorts of ways.

Torchwood is actually very interesting to bring into the conversation because I recall how during the first season they made a pretty strong effort to point out that every member of the team has sex with both genders by the end of the season. (My favorite illustration of this was early on with Owen using the date-rape aphrodisiac spray on a girl in a bar to have her go home with him. Her boyfriend doesn't like this and starts to cause trouble, so Owen sprays him too, and the three of them leave happily together). It's probably the only place in the media I can think of that openly supports bisexuality equally between both genders. It's usually the common perspective that boys liking boys is gross, and girls liking girls is hot. See also: The totally-not-scripted minstrel-show "Shot at Love" from a few years back.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Organza Quiz posted:

Literally the only thing. It was an absolutely terrible show.

Organza Quiz posted:

That poo poo is bad, but I didn't think that's what we were talking about in this case. I'm talking about people choosing to identify or label themselves as either straight or gay/lesbian when their actual attractions are more wide than that. That's a completely separate thing to awful stereotypes about people who identify as bi.

It's the same issue though. The reason people say they're either straight or gay when they may actually have some level of attraction to both sexes is because a ton of people don't believe in bisexuality. If you're a woman then "it's just a phase, you'll get over it and go back to being straight." If you're a man then "you're really gay, you just don't want to admit it."

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tiggum posted:

It's the same issue though. The reason people say they're either straight or gay when they may actually have some level of attraction to both sexes is because a ton of people don't believe in bisexuality. If you're a woman then "it's just a phase, you'll get over it and go back to being straight." If you're a man then "you're really gay, you just don't want to admit it."

I disagree but perhaps we'd be better off finding a better thread to argue in.

In the meantime, content! I hate it in movies/TV where characters who don't speak English are alone with each other and say like two or three token lines in their language before switching to having the rest of the conversation in English. I think it mostly seems to happen with sci fi/fantasy things and made up languages but as far as I'm concerned they should either "translate" the whole scene into English or have it all in whatever language with subtitles. Otherwise it just feels like the characters are just speaking English to each other for the sake of the audience when it'd be more natural for them not to be. This doesn't count bilingual characters switching languages as they chat because that really is something that people do.

EDIT: I just realised that could be taken as a really awful metaphor in light of previous discussion. Please don't take it as a really bad metaphor in light of previous discussion.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Organza Quiz posted:

In the meantime, content! I hate it in movies/TV where characters who don't speak English are alone with each other and say like two or three token lines in their language before switching to having the rest of the conversation in English. I think it mostly seems to happen with sci fi/fantasy things and made up languages but as far as I'm concerned they should either "translate" the whole scene into English or have it all in whatever language with subtitles. Otherwise it just feels like the characters are just speaking English to each other for the sake of the audience when it'd be more natural for them not to be.

Although I thought Heroes was mostly pretty crap, I really liked the way characters in it spoke their native languages when they were just speaking to people from their own country. I wish more shows would do that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

E: forget it.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 14:28 on Nov 26, 2013

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Organza Quiz posted:

In the meantime, content! I hate it in movies/TV where characters who don't speak English are alone with each other and say like two or three token lines in their language before switching to having the rest of the conversation in English. I think it mostly seems to happen with sci fi/fantasy things and made up languages but as far as I'm concerned they should either "translate" the whole scene into English or have it all in whatever language with subtitles. Otherwise it just feels like the characters are just speaking English to each other for the sake of the audience when it'd be more natural for them not to be. This doesn't count bilingual characters switching languages as they chat because that really is something that people do.

One of the only movies I've seen do this well is Hunt for Red October. They have a Soviet character speaking a Bible passage in Russian and it switches to English on a word that's the same in both languages (Armageddon). You don't hear any more Russian until the Americans board the sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Although I thought Heroes was mostly pretty crap, I really liked the way characters in it spoke their native languages when they were just speaking to people from their own country. I wish more shows would do that.

I'm watching Dexter for the first time, and it's set in Miami. In tons of episodes, you see Spanish-speaking characters speaking Spanish to each other, and the audience rarely gets an English translation. Most of the time, it's greetings, insults, or other throwaway dialouge, but sometimes, entire conversations happen in rapid, fluent Spanish, and you either know what they're saying or have to guess from the context.

Also, tangentially related, I love the moment when you realize you might not be able to trust a translating character's interpretation. At first, you think, "Okay, instead of putting subtitles on the screen, they've got this guy who will explain what was said, that's cool," and then it goes wrong--Timer did this well, when Mike screws up translating an important conversation and panics a little trying to remember how to say what he's trying to say because he's nearly insulted someone by accident. Up to this point, you've just assumed he speaks perfect Spanish.

Irritating: When a soldier/hunter/hero/space marine loving works the action on a shotgun before firing it. All that's going to do is eject an unused shell, goddamnit! :bang:

• Locked thread