Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Raygereio posted:

New Vegas Anti Crash. If New Vegas crashes on you every now and then, give this NVSE plugin a try.

This is fantastic, periodic crashes (especially fast travel) are what made a friend stop playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Has anyone here played Run the Lucky 38? I'm always wary of mods of this scope, but I hate seeing the Lucky 38 just sit there.

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!

Veezy posted:

Another more general question, although it might be OP worthty: is there a way to combine esps? I know NV has a bit of a temper past 150 active esps. Is there a way to squish some related, like weapon additions, together using NVedit or a different program?

FNV Plugin Utility will combine esps;

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/39655/

I used it the other day to combine a load of weapon mods and from what I can tell so far it has done the job well. Apparently it can fail if the mods to be combined have different masters, you'd need to do some prep work in FNVedit beforehand if that were the case.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm noticing that XWE Cars! has become really unstable with it's recent patches. Does it have issue with A World of Pain or any other mods that make major changes to the world map? Because it seems like all i can do is get errors and be completely unable to use vehicles. It can't restart the game to enable it's changes and brings up error codes, getting in a vehicle locks the game in place with you just standing there, and in general it seems to make the game alot more unstable. I'm honestly stumped at this point! I'd go to the nexus page and ask there, but reading tons of pages of comments make it clear that the creator just vanished and nobody has any idea how to fix this stuff.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 21, 2013

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Chronojam posted:

This is fantastic, periodic crashes (especially fast travel) are what made a friend stop playing.

Jesus, that thing is legit? like it actually works and isn't the usual 'I did teh apetch it maek gam 4 betrar' crap the guys on the Nexus vomit up?

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

King Doom posted:

Jesus, that thing is legit? like it actually works and isn't the usual 'I did teh apetch it maek gam 4 betrar' crap the guys on the Nexus vomit up?

I have yet to fully stress it but it does seem to help. The creator is fairly open about what the plugin is actually doing and what they are doing would help fix the crashing drastically. Crashes still happen but it is still being worked on fairly rapidly.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

King Doom posted:

Yeah, it appears to be legit. I've had no crashes since using it. Granted, my instal of New Vegas was already farily stable, but I still had the occasional CTD.
Also unlike your average snakeoil mod, this plugin's creator is upfront about what it does and is still working on it.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Raygereio posted:

Yeah, it appears to be legit. I've had no crashes since using it. Granted, my instal of New Vegas was already farily stable, but I still had the occasional CTD.
Also unlike your average snakeoil mod, this plugin's creator is upfront about what it does and is still working on it.

And he has a bug tracker for people to report issues, rather than "I'm doing this all by myself, it will be perfect, and when I am done I will brook no argument that it has flaws or doesn't work at all". After seeing mod authors for other games literally stop responding to "your fix doesn't work for me, and in fact has gone from 'actually doing something' to 'my game won't load if it's enabled'" once they've decided they're "done, I'm glad to see someone actually going through something resembling an actual design, testing, and refinement process.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I started using the NVAC mod, and sure enough, even with my modded to hell TTW playthrough, I am getting VERY few crashes now, when I used to crash very frequently. It's absolutely brilliant. I highly recommend it for anyone who has a less than stable install.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Raygereio posted:

New Vegas Anti Crash. If New Vegas crashes on you every now and then, give this NVSE plugin a try.

I checked it out, and while I have NVSE installed I definitely don't have the folders I'm supposed to put this file in.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

YggiDee posted:

I checked it out, and while I have NVSE installed I definitely don't have the folders I'm supposed to put this file in.

Just go ahead and make data/NVSE/plugins, put the file there, and you should be golden.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

King Doom posted:

My horrible mess of a game doesn't really do so anymore, and I seriously could not play 10 minutes without it crashin' before.

Instead it just freezes because lack of memory like an hour in woooo

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Okay, so I never played New Vegas and on a whim I decided I might as well give it a shot. So while the ultimate edition is downloading off of steam, what mods would people say are essential/ideal for someone who's going into it blind? I played Fallout 3 and all the DLC so I'm familiar with the setting and gameplay, I just need some bug fixes or quality of life mods. I also wouldn't mind some lighting/texture mods. I've got a pretty beefy machine (16GB RAM and a GTX 780M) so I should be able to take on most anything without problem.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Requested_Username posted:

Okay, so I never played New Vegas and on a whim I decided I might as well give it a shot. So while the ultimate edition is downloading off of steam, what mods would people say are essential/ideal for someone who's going into it blind? I played Fallout 3 and all the DLC so I'm familiar with the setting and gameplay, I just need some bug fixes or quality of life mods. I also wouldn't mind some lighting/texture mods. I've got a pretty beefy machine (16GB RAM and a GTX 780M) so I should be able to take on most anything without problem.

The canned answer (this is a pretty common question) is to initially avoid using any significant gameplay altering mods for two reasons: 1, you probably want to mess around with vanilla NV so that you can appreciate it and see what you actually want to change when you start going berserk with the modding and 2, vanilla NV is actually really decent and doesn't require significant overhauls to be playable.

With that in mind, I would recommend taking advantage of your monitor's resolution by installing a font/UI mod like oHUD and MTUI or DarnifiedUI (in the OP under "HUD and UI"). This will make navigating your Pipboy and reading dialogue much more enjoyable than the large font, low resolution that exists by default. Also, since you have the RAM and GPU for it, install either the "medium" or "large" flavor of NMC's Texture pack, which will overhaul a majority of the game's textures (in the OP under "textures"). In order to keep your game from crashing regularly because it is running out of RAM, you'll need to use the FNV4GB.exe, a large address enabler that allows the game to use more RAM (top of the OP).

I could recommend one of the weather or lighting overhaul mods, or even an ENB shader, but they're largely a matter of taste and you'll probably just want to play around with them until you find something you like. Everybody's different. The most common ones are in the OP in their respective categories, though.

EDIT: Also, although the game has some issues that have never been addressed by patches, I'm inclined to say that the community bugfixes aren't really necessary. A lot of people use them, but a lot of people don't. Either way, it's not on the scale of previous Bethesda games where poo poo was legitimately broken and needed fixing, and community bugfixes were an obligatory fixture of any installation.

EDIT 2: Oh, and install CASM (top of the OP) too. It might help a lot with keeping your saves from spontaneously taking a poo poo on you. And like Roobanguy said, NVSE as well.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 23, 2013

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

^^^ Basically what he said. :v:

Requested_Username posted:

The game really doesn't need any mods to be playable and fun, I'd suggest playing vanilla first unless you want something.

First thing you want to do is get NVSE if you ARE planning on getting any mods, along side FOMM, for organizing your mods and installing mods with FOMODS, FNVEdit, to make merged patches and clean files if there's some complications, and BOSS which will auto sort your mods from a masterlist, which can save a lot of time. Project Nevada (abbreviated to PN) is a pretty cool overhaul, and can be customized in game to your preferences. JSawyer changes the games balance around to be more in line with what the lead developer (who posts here under the user name ropekid) thought it should be, while being mostly vanilla. There's also CCO, which adds a bunch of nifty things, but is a bit more complicated to install than PN, though it does come with compatibility patches for both PN and JSawyer if you want a little of everything.

For texture pack, I use NMC and it makes the game look pretty, but if you are going to use it you need to get the FNV4gb exe or you will be crashing all over the place. You'll also want to get an ENB if you want your game to look real pretty. You can customize the effects in game, or you can just search around on the nexus or on the ENB forums for a preset you like.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 23, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I hesitate to ask this, but are there any good body replacer mods out there? I'm not looking for some :nexus:-level stuff here but I'm afraid that if I go looking that's all I'll find.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

After two playthroughs (one small guns/energy, one shotguns) I'm trying a melee character for the first time.

Are there any mods that I should check out to enhance melee combat? I've already got Project Nevada, CCO, WMX, Signature Weapons, and Signature Armor.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Patrolling in the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear summer.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

legendsuper posted:

That mod would be great if they got rid of that line and replaced it with some of the guard dialogue from Skyrim.

"Hard to believe I ever complained about Riften being cold," and "There's a bitter wind coming off of the Sea of Ghosts".

Just one minute, a female soldier saying whatever, and then the next minute, she's talking like ye olde towne guarde.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
What's the fix for that GECK glitch where it crashes when loading a .nif file? I'm tinkering around with some mod's armors, but one of the files can't be opened on the GECK. I googled for a fix but the ones I saw didn't work. The meshes and textures and all are either from the vanilla game or from mods I've downloaded.

This is the block list. What should I do?

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
Probably a dumb question, but do texture packs affect game performance? I play on a laptop that is no ~hardcore gaming rig~ but which I picked with some older games (Like FO:NV :v:) in mind. Basically I don't know how games work and I don't know how much texture detail would contribute to possible framerate issues. Both FO3 and FO:NV run smoothly for me, and since I'm starting a new run with TTW I'm kind of interested in giving a texture replacement a try - but if it's likely to cause problems I'll just skip it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Texture packs are mostly if not entirely dependent on VRAM. And depending on your resolution it might not be worth going above 1024-sized ones on a laptop, but NMC and Ojo are nonetheless prettier than the originals. You should run the Texture Optimizer after installing at any rate.

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009
I've encountered a weird bug in the Broken Steel portion of TTW. I just beat Fallout 3's main quest by injecting the modified FEV-virus into the purifier. After waking up in the Citadel, the game is acting like I'm drinking the FEV-laced water and pops up with a warning message. After a few minutes my player randomly dies. I've not drank any of the Aqua Pura nor am I carrying any. I don't think it's being caused by any of my other mods, but just in case, here's the load-order.

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
TaleOfTwoWastelands.esm
TTWInteriors_Core.esm
TTWInteriorsProject.esm
AWorldOfPain(Preview).esm
IWS-Core.esm
NevadaSkies.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
SomeguySeries.esm
Tales from the Burning Sands.esm
ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esm
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
TTW_StashPackOptions.esp
TTW_Bobbleheads.esp
TTW_MoreCookingItems.esp
TTW_XPReduction.esp
TTW_Transportalponder.esp
TTW_Difficult_Journey.esp
ttw_bullet_sponge_fix.esp
ttwjsawyer.esp
DarNifiedUINV.esp
CASM.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
NewVegasBountiesII.esp
Russell.esp
TheInheritance.esp
NevadaSkies - Ultimate DLC Edition.esp
TTW - Fellout.esp
IWS-Core-Patrols.esp
IWS-DM.esp
IWS-HH.esp
IWS-OWB.esp
IWS-LR.esp
AWOPDeadMoney.esp
AWOPDeadMoneyVendorPatch.esp
Companion Sandbox Mode3.esp
DLC WITM - Complete.esp
AWOPLowLootGeneral.esp
AWOPLowLootMWeapons.esp
AWOPLowLootMWeaponsArmor.esp
NVWillow.esp
HalfwayHouse.esp
WeaponModsExpanded.esp
WMX-DeadMoney.esp
WMX-HonestHearts.esp
WMX-OldWorldBlues.esp
WMX-LonesomeRoad.esp
WMX-GunRunnersArsenal.esp
wmx-ttw-unified.esp
URWLNV Darker Night.esp
URWLNV Brighter Lights.esp

tonberrykng fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 25, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, I installed a mod to remove the pip boy from my character's arm while keeping it as the Tab menu, which was pretty cool, but just recently I uninstalled it and...

Now there's no loving pip boy on my arm at all.

:cripes:

What the hell did I do wrong? Why would this possibly happen?!

edit: Got it. Removing the mod got rid of my physical pipboy item so I had to re-add it to my inventory via the console. :cripes::cripes:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 26, 2013

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Any mods that clean up houses? I'd like to see a mod that shows the tenants actually cleaning up after 200 years. Plus I imagine it would increase performance.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Arcsquad12 posted:

Any mods that clean up houses? I'd like to see a mod that shows the tenants actually cleaning up after 200 years. Plus I imagine it would increase performance.
Up until you pick up a bottle cap on top of a bookshelf and Gamebryo physics makes every book so shelved fall to the ground.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Clean-Deluxe FNV does this, basically. In execution, it's half aesthetic, half performance mod. It removes a lot of trash meshes and clutter to help PCs that are really struggling, and it also gives the impression that people are actually living in clean(er) homes and towns. Check out the images on the Nexus page and see if that's sort of what you are looking for.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

legendsuper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlvYFMEAZx8

I couldn't resist!!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just killed Caesar and all his closest friends with Veronica, Cass, Boone, and Arcade, all 5 of us armed with chainsaws :black101:. It's a real mess in there now. With IWS/Warzones we were killing legion all the way from Novac almost, and Boone didn't stop to warn me about his legion-killing habit until combat dropped as we were ready to get on the boat. Tagged Lord Death just after Caesar fell, almost entirely from that run :haw:.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 26, 2013

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

What mod is that you're using to change the NCR armor?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

What mod is that you're using to change the NCR armor?

Dragbody's NCR Trooper Overhaul beta.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/52721//

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
It's been a while since I've played this and Skyrim was more recent, so I may have them confused, but wasn't there a better alternative to FOMM that had the goon stamp of approval? I don't want to start the long process of getting my preferred mods in shape only to find I've used an inferior manager.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Rather Dashing posted:

It's been a while since I've played this and Skyrim was more recent, so I may have them confused, but wasn't there a better alternative to FOMM that had the goon stamp of approval? I don't want to start the long process of getting my preferred mods in shape only to find I've used an inferior manager.

Mod Organizer is what you are thinking of. It does take a bit more work to get some mods installed but it is vastly better than FOMM.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I could probably put Mod Organizer in the OP, huh? A lot of people seem to ask for it/use it.

EDIT: Also, this thread is coming up on being three years old this December. The OP is actually almost at burst capacity (~46,000 characters out of 50,000 allowed) but I'd be interested for up-to-date recommendations on the mods people are currently playing and enjoying that may belong in the OP. For example, I know the author of the New Vegas Bounties series has expanded into a somewhat ambitious network of quests that people seem to like, and there have been a number of one- and two-off recommendations for little mods here and there that people have mentioned in the past. If there are any mods that seem to be popular enough, I can throw them in the OP.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 27, 2013

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I use a mod called "Stampede" which I like a whole lot. Stampede is a unique, named weapon that's essentially a sawed-off and upgraded trail carbine. The weapon itself is based on the Mare's Leg carried by Steve McQueen in "Wanted: Dead or Alive". I love the hell out of it, and usually use it in place of a pistol until I get to where I can buy a That Gun or 14mm pistol/L'il Devil.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Cream of Plenty can you add this to the mod essentials list?

A Tree

Top-tier modmaking right here. Forget that Falskaar dude.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I use a mod called "Stampede" which I like a whole lot. Stampede is a unique, named weapon that's essentially a sawed-off and upgraded trail carbine. The weapon itself is based on the Mare's Leg carried by Steve McQueen in "Wanted: Dead or Alive". I love the hell out of it, and usually use it in place of a pistol until I get to where I can buy a That Gun or 14mm pistol/L'il Devil.

See also:

Mare's Leg

Saddle ring, best ring.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Psion posted:

Cream of Plenty can you add this to the mod essentials list?

A Tree

Top-tier modmaking right here. Forget that Falskaar dude.

This one has a lot more features.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/54228/

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Capn Beeb posted:

See also:

Mare's Leg

Saddle ring, best ring.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh poo poo, you are correct. That's awesome, and is now in my mod list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

See it's that kind of mod bloat that led to Gategate. I say mods should stick to their key, core function and not get so wide-ranging they lose the spirit of their essentials.