Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

You know, part of it for me is that while I can tell the characters apart, none of them come across as deep to me as, say, the different Olivias or Walters on Fringe. But that show didn't start playing those tricks right out of the gate, so it's an unfair comparison until I've finished the first season.

Thanks for the responses and helping me calibrate my expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Slamhound posted:

Yeah, but in Orphan Black, they impersonate each other.

So do the various Oliviae on Fringe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Joramun posted:

Yep there are multiple Olivia, Walters, Astrid, and Lincolns.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Sir Kodiak posted:

You know, part of it for me is that while I can tell the characters apart, none of them come across as deep to me as, say, the different Olivias or Walters on Fringe. But that show didn't start playing those tricks right out of the gate, so it's an unfair comparison until I've finished the first season.

You really have no full concept of any of the characters with only two episodes watched out of ten.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sir Kodiak posted:

It is fairly unfair to compare a completed 5-season show to the first two episodes of the first season of another show in terms of your expectations, yes.

She is being praised because she is doing A Thing and doing it very well. Saying "she's no different than Eddie Murphy doing the Klumps" is one of the stupidest reductions I've ever read.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
To add to that, any of those characters would be strong performances on their own, especially going into the back half of the season. Two episodes in, it's a neat trick; you don't really get the gravity of it until a few episodes later, when you really dig into who these clones are.

I wasn't sold on Maslany being loving amazing until episode 6, "Variations Under Domestication." At that point I was starting to forget that Sarah, Alison, and Cosima were being played by the same person.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

xeria posted:

It is fairly unfair to compare a completed 5-season show to the first two episodes of the first season of another show in terms of your expectations, yes.

At the same time, none of the characters I've seen her play are as nuanced or interesting as Walter was on Fringe in the first episode (as just one example, since that's a show we're already comparing Orphan Black to). But from what DivisionPost is saying, I just need to wait a bit and I'll get that.

xeria posted:

She is being praised because she is doing A Thing and doing it very well. Saying "she's no different than Eddie Murphy doing the Klumps" is one of the stupidest reductions I've ever read.

To be fair, I'm not the one who made that comparison.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

I wasn't sold on Maslany being loving amazing until episode 6, "Variations Under Domestication." At that point I was starting to forget that Sarah, Alison, and Cosima were being played by the same person.

Yeah, listen to this guy. For me I think it was episode 4 or 5, but certainly 6 is a high point and one of the best episodes of the season (and almost certainly the funniest).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

xeria posted:

It's important to remember not to argue on points Irish Joe brings up. In that way lies only misery.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Joramun posted:

Exactly, the two are comparable.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

Yeah, listen to this guy. For me I think it was episode 4 or 5, but certainly 6 is a high point and one of the best episodes of the season (and almost certainly the funniest).

That's the episode where "WHAT THE gently caress, ALISON?" started to become the show's rallying cry.

EDIT:

Regy Rusty posted:

It's important to remember not to argue on points Irish Joe brings up. In that way lies only misery.

Ah, but therein lies the beauty of Irish Joe: Sometimes you can't ignore him, lest you risk an aneurism.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Regy Rusty posted:

True, I should say it's one of the trollingest reductions I've ever seen.

Sir Kodiak posted:

At the same time, none of the characters I've seen her play are as nuanced or interesting as Walter was on Fringe in the first episode (as just one example, since that's a show we're already comparing Orphan Black to). But from what DivisionPost is saying, I just need to wait a bit and I'll get that.

Nearly every person who has said, "I've watched the first 1/2 episodes and I don't see what the big deal is," has come around by anywhere from episodes 4 through 6. If you get through 6 -- probably the one real 'goalpost' episode this show has -- and still aren't interested, there probably won't be anything that comes after that'll convince you.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ubiquitous_ posted:

VVVV She didn't do it for a whole season, let alone the entire concept of a show.

I think what Maslany did on Orphan Black was pretty impressive, but this is a pretty disingenuous argument considering that she a) didn't do it for a full season either (the clones don't show up immediately save for the opening scene) and that b) the "whole season" was only 10 episodes. Torv had a prolonged arc where she was playing Fauxlivia pretending to be Olivia and it was pretty drat incredible how much subtlety she managed to put into both characters.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Aw c'mon guys, isn't it a little late for an Orphan Black backlash? You missed that boat by several months.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Olivia had the benefit of lowered expectations where she "intentionally" played an awkward, emotionally-crippled robot for two seasons so have her do things like actually smile and show emotion and be able to carry on casual conversations with people stood out way more. And even then there was that season 3 arc where she was possessed by William Bell and she talking in a hilariously over-the-top Leonard Nimoy impersonation.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

VDay posted:

I think what Maslany did on Orphan Black was pretty impressive, but this is a pretty disingenuous argument considering that she a) didn't do it for a full season either (the clones don't show up immediately save for the opening scene) and that b) the "whole season" was only 10 episodes. Torv had a prolonged arc where she was playing Fauxlivia pretending to be Olivia and it was pretty drat incredible how much subtlety she managed to put into both characters.

Technically she does do it for a whole season -- even in the first episode, she's Sarah-playing-Beth. She's not playing Alison or Cosima for every single episode, no, but those two (and Helena) aren't the extent of her clone-playing.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The greatest crime Fringe ever committed was not finding a way to get Anna Torv to play a variation of literally every single character at some point.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Hey guys, I need help looking for an episode of a show.

There's an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where it's super typical arguing about nothing, but then they suddenly all realize that Ray is in love with his mom and then Debora takes Ray upstairs and everyone is left in the living room and they agree never to speak of it again and then the episode ends. I can't find a synopsis of it anywhere (or accurate synopses of any episodes for that matter) and because I saw it on tv as a teen never knew the name of the episode to look it up, plus it's been a decade or so.

Thanks to anyone that can help

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So the thread spiral goes: Lena Dunham -> Tatiana Maslany -> Fringe -> Parks and Rec -> Irish Joe says something -> General rebuttals -> Person of Interest -> 2 Broke Girls -> Irish Joe -> Lena Dunham?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

precision posted:

So the thread spiral goes: Lena Dunham -> Tatiana Maslany -> Fringe -> Parks and Rec -> Irish Joe says something -> General rebuttals -> Person of Interest -> 2 Broke Girls -> Irish Joe -> Lena Dunham?

-> Everybody Loves Oedipus Raymond

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Olivia had the benefit of lowered expectations where she "intentionally" played an awkward, emotionally-crippled robot for two seasons so have her do things like actually smile and show emotion and be able to carry on casual conversations with people stood out way more. And even then there was that season 3 arc where she was possessed by William Bell and she talking in a hilariously over-the-top Leonard Nimoy impersonation.

I think her impersonation was no more over-the-top than the arc itself was. Like, it got the right amount of, "gently caress it, this plot point is insane. Might as well just go for it, full bore." In contrast to this, the Olivia/Fauxlivia stuff as written was less silly and hit more emotional dials, so Torv's acting was appropriately also toned down.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Paper Lion posted:

There's an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where it's super typical arguing about nothing, but then they suddenly all realize that Ray is in love with his mom and then Debora takes Ray upstairs and everyone is left in the living room and they agree never to speak of it again and then the episode ends. I can't find a synopsis of it anywhere (or accurate synopses of any episodes for that matter) and because I saw it on tv as a teen never knew the name of the episode to look it up, plus it's been a decade or so.

I'm only seeing reasons not to look this up here.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Here is my daily "oh god I loving love X-Files" post:

I absolutely love the music. Are there any shows around that still have a score and not just a soundtrack with some popular-ish songs?

Also I just managed to identify Bradley Whitford just from his voice in about two seconds :woop:.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Popelmon posted:

Here is my daily "oh god I loving love X-Files" post:

I absolutely love the music. Are there any shows around that still have a score and not just a soundtrack with some popular-ish songs?

Also I just managed to identify Bradley Whitford just from his voice in about two seconds :woop:.

They sometimes use real music. The episode Beyond the sea uses that song perfectly. There is also the episode Home.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Paper Lion posted:

Season 7 episode 2, "Counseling".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxyPMNTYyHE

Skip to around 18:40 for the part you're talking about.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

Everybody Loves Raymond had a few bizarre psychologically bare moments like that, including another where Robert outright admits he's in love with Debra. It's an odd show. Also underrated, in my opinion.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't really have anywhere else to say this. I'm catching up with Pretty Little Liars and I'm a few episodes into Season 3 now and the show has got so balls to the wall insane I love it love it love it.

Also, I want to applaud Irish Joe for comparing TatMas to a bad Eddie Murphy movie and getting away with it :golfclap:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
So if you're like me and you often wonder "What the hell is Fez up to these days?", Wilmer Valderrama has joined the cast of the From Dusk Till Dawn TV series that Robert Rodriguez is developing.

http://dailydead.com/wilmer-valderrama-joins-cast-dusk-till-dawn-series/

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

hcreight posted:

So if you're like me and you often wonder "What the hell is Fez up to these days?"

I just assumed he cries himself to sleep every night thinking about the time he hosed Mila Kunis. Glad to see he's still getting work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hcreight posted:

So if you're like me and you often wonder "What the hell is Fez up to these days?", Wilmer Valderrama has joined the cast of the From Dusk Till Dawn TV series that Robert Rodriguez is developing.

He was pretty good on last season of Raising Hope.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

He was on Suburgatory a couple times too. It's always weird seeing him play characters that aren't like Fez though.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

bobkatt013 posted:

They sometimes use real music. The episode Beyond the sea uses that song perfectly. There is also the episode Home.

Can't believe you forgot to mention The Post-Modern Prometheus.

(The X-Files score is absolutely fantastic, though)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

enuma elish posted:

Can't believe you forgot to mention The Post-Modern Prometheus.

(The X-Files score is absolutely fantastic, though)

It is too drat spooky, I have trouble sleeping at night just thinking about it in my head.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

hcreight posted:

He was on Suburgatory a couple times too. It's always weird seeing him play characters that aren't like Fez though.

Did Suburgatory get cancelled or is it coming back mid-season? That was one of those examples of a seemingly boring premise that was actually a really good show.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Tupping Liberty posted:

Did Suburgatory get cancelled or is it coming back mid-season? That was one of those examples of a seemingly boring premise that was actually a really good show.

It's coming back in January and taking over the cancelled Back in the Game's timeslot.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

hcreight posted:

I thought he was pretty busy recording episodes of Handy Manny.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

hcreight posted:

It's coming back in January and taking over the cancelled Back in the Game's timeslot.

Wow, so that got canned already, huh. Can't say I'm terribly surprised.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoyed what I saw of Back in the Game. I can't say I'm heartbroken or anything but it was one of the few shows I was keeping up with (at least within a week or two).

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
is anybody giving Ground Floor a chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

He was really good in Party Monster too but he was basically playing "Fez, the junkie DJ".

• Locked thread