Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I am OK posted:

Lol and who should they ask exactly? Taro Tanaka, nippon's Everyman?
Literally anyone? The closest some apparently went was asking other Asian-American friends, which, uh, I guess counts. Like, I'm not saying that it ain't racist, just that it was kinda embarrassing to see people talking about how "HER APPROPRIATION OF JAPANESE GEISHA CULTURE IS AWFUL" and whatnot.

Jossos posted:

Why would you even try and engage in a debate with SJWs, jesus. They took the word cultural appropriation and ran so far off the map with it that they looped around, and ended up to the right of Stormfront. NO MIXING OF CULTURES OR RACES EVER :godwin: (imagine instead of Hitler it's :goonsay: spamming Godwin)
Ehh, these are the people I have to deal with in my other struggles, both in leftist and feminist circles. I'm lucky that this discourse hasn't been picked up here to any major degree but we definitely had some people try to do so, before being soundly shut down.
Mostly it just cracks me the hell up, the idea that to Japanese feminists, what matters most to them isn't the loving awful workplace prejudices, backwards societal view or whatever, but that Katy Perry is stealing their culture.

Just, so out of touch.

Bloodnose posted:

Her outfit looks way more like a qipao than a kimono to me.
I made a bunch of points on that, because a bunch of people were commenting about the clothes but was soundly ignored. Not really people that let their complete ignorance of a culture stop them from trying to "defend" it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

Her outfit looks way more like a qipao than a kimono to me.

It is. It's the normal think where westerners can't distinguish between asian cultures and mix poo poo up. It's dumb but not really racist, nobody is portrayed in a negative light, etc.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Is feeling butthurt fun??? It must be fun because it's popular right?

P sure no one in Japan gives a poo poo, a resounding (*≧∀≦*) Kawaii and Sugoi!!!! Is more likely.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Literally anyone? The closest some apparently went was asking other Asian-American friends, which, uh, I guess counts. Like, I'm not saying that it ain't racist, just that it was kinda embarrassing to see people talking about how "HER APPROPRIATION OF JAPANESE GEISHA CULTURE IS AWFUL" and whatnot.
Ehh, these are the people I have to deal with in my other struggles, both in leftist and feminist circles. I'm lucky that this discourse hasn't been picked up here to any major degree but we definitely had some people try to do so, before being soundly shut down.
Mostly it just cracks me the hell up, the idea that to Japanese feminists, what matters most to them isn't the loving awful workplace prejudices, backwards societal view or whatever, but that Katy Perry is stealing their culture.

Just, so out of touch.
I made a bunch of points on that, because a bunch of people were commenting about the clothes but was soundly ignored. Not really people that let their complete ignorance of a culture stop them from trying to "defend" it.

I too consider wringing my hands in the DnD picture thread a struggle that simply must be dealt with.

Also the discourse wasn't picked up here until you posted it! So well done for doing that I guess.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

peanut posted:

P sure no one in Japan gives a poo poo, a resounding (*≧∀≦*) Kawaii and Sugoi!!!! Is more likely.

I think maybe it's more weebs crying about it. So is it racist if I wear a jinbei to a festival because then I'm hella racist... I know all of you are too.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Madd0g11 posted:

I think maybe it's more weebs crying about it. So is it racist if I wear a jinbei to a festival because then I'm hella racist... I know all of you are too.

You know what really pisses me off? Japanese people who wear lederhosen. How. loving. Dare. They. Appropriating my beautiful white person cultural poo poo and all.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I think I wore a Hanbok to a local one once. Got some interesting looks. Then I got yelled at because I'd ignored the next festival and went out on my balcony in a dressing gown for a little fresh air.

People on the street said I was mocking their culture. drat well felt like doing it afterwards.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Some cultures just gotta be mocked now and then

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I wish more asians would appropriate European culture and dress up as landsknechts

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I went to Stuttgart and bought Lederhosen for Oktoberfest. Is that cool? Next time I want an authentic cowboy hat and boots

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Regular clothes are still called 洋服 "western clothes" so :frogsiren:TOO LATE :frogsiren:

Sign my email petition to change 洋服 to just 服 and also to remove Meiji and Taisho options from paperwork for jobs and driving license poo poo.

riderkick
May 7, 2007

Hard to say. Being a Japanese-American male had to deal with different stereotypes.

It's probably safe to say Asians in general would be confused why she's saying she's doing a Japanese theme but in a Chinese dress, but we've gotten kind of used to Hollywood (movies especially!) playing mix-and-match with pieces of culture.

peanut is correct in that most Japanese people in Japan would probably think it's pretty, note that the dress is more Chinese than Japanese and probably move on. Mostly because in Japan you don't have to deal with racist stereotypes as much since the Japanese are the dominant race here.

If she had dressed up in a kimono while performing a concert in Japan, it probably would've been OK.

However, I can understand why Asian-Americans, especially women, would be offended by this. First it tells us that white people can't tell us apart. Also it plays up the Asian-woman fetish big time.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dude did you seriously buy lederhosen? You are set on Halloween for life.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

He can go as the Grinch!

Also, it kinda makes sense for a Qipao over a Kimono. I can only imagine how hard it would be to do a pop concert in one of those.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's hand crafted with threads of aryanism and Bavarian engineering. And IT'S A NATIONAL DRESS NOT A HALLOWEEN COSTUME YOU BIGOT. Unless I'm a German zombie. But that's just redundant

riderkick
May 7, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Also, it kinda makes sense for a Qipao over a Kimono. I can only imagine how hard it would be to do a pop concert in one of those.

It can be done. This video of a dance routine for Tsunami relief.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

caberham posted:

It's hand crafted with threads of aryanism and Bavarian engineering.

It menaces with spikes of Wurst?

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
I felt like this article (especially the follow up article) did a pretty good job of explaining why people are upset about Katy Perry's performance.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I love how everyone keeps calling it a Geisha costume, when it's just a kimono and doesn't really have any indication of it being a Geisha thing. Except for maybe that half assed dance she does before she starts singing?

When it's seijinshiki time next year I'm going to go around telling everyone how nice their Geisha costumes are.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
Here, since the Katy Perry poo poo is a non issue how about we talk about something really terrible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/fashion/a-silent-partner-to-share-the-path-of-love.html

riderkick
May 7, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

I love how everyone keeps calling it a Geisha costume, when it's just a kimono and doesn't really have any indication of it being a Geisha thing. Except for maybe that half assed dance she does before she starts singing?

Whether or not it's racist aside, the stylist claims it's geisha-inspire in the E! interview. And the accompanying photo shows white face paint. Also the background dancers are certainly dressed like the traditional geisha getup.
article

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

riderkick posted:

Whether or not it's racist aside, the stylist claims it's geisha-inspire in the E! interview. And the accompanying photo shows white face paint. Also the background dancers are certainly dressed like the traditional geisha getup.
article

Ah, you're right, looking at the video it didn't look like there was white facepaint

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
I got another character named "Ching Chong" who loves to play ping pong. I just made that up right now, 'cause that's how I flow. Now, I'm up for anything.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I am OK posted:

I too consider wringing my hands in the DnD picture thread a struggle that simply must be dealt with.

Also the discourse wasn't picked up here until you posted it! So well done for doing that I guess.
The only struggle I have in the D&D thread is thinking of new ways to be an inept troll. I have to deal with this kinda poo poo in real life, because for some reason the kids these days are picking up idiot habits from tumblr and apparently no-one can be bothered to tell them their ideas are poo poo before I have to listen to them.

caberham posted:

I went to Stuttgart and bought Lederhosen for Oktoberfest. Is that cool? Next time I want an authentic cowboy hat and boots
Stuttgart is in Baden-Wurtenburg while the Lederhosen are Bavarian, so you hosed up basically. It's like buying cowboy gear in New England.

(:v:)

But yea, just sharing people being dumb, now that the tumblr thread is closed I have nowhere but the Idiots on Facebook thread to share this kinda poo poo, so I thought why not do it here.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 26, 2013

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
It looks like a lot of blogs are calling it offensive because blackface is offensive, period. But blackface is offensive because of how it was used in minstrel shows; it used and reinforced the cultural stereotype that blacks were dim-witted and childish. So the real thing here is if her performance is using the "geisha-girl" stereotype as well as the clothes, which makes it distinctly different from just a white person wearing cultural clothes. When a white person wears a yukata at a festival, there's no stereotype behind it. Even when someone wears a costume at Halloween (unless it's of something racist in of itself, like Mr. Yunioshi from Breakfast at Tiffany's, or the person goes out of their way to act in a way that reflects a stereotype) it's not racist.

To elaborate, the "geisha-girl" stereotype casts Asian women as weak and extremely submissive to men. She often has to be rescued by a white hero. In older depictions, (mainly because of anti-miscegenation laws) she was pretty much destined to kick the bucket in the arms of the hero before he can poke her.

Combined with the song "Unconditionally", I have to say that it probably is a racist usage, because it utilizes the stereotype of the geisha-girl to reinforce the song's message of submission.

So yes, it's racist, BUT it's a performance at an awards show, for gods sake. It's not terribly important in the scheme of things.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'm just surprised people still attend Katy Perry's shindigs.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
One thing which I've found really interesting is how people objected to the weird mixture of Chinese and Japanese elements, which is of course very common when you have westerners unfamiliar with asian cultures trying to interpret or reproduce them. But then a lot of the writers commenting on it were Chinese-American, or even Indian-American, themselves, and talking about how this was an assault on their culture, which is to say 'asian' culture. You have people at the same time saying that not distinguishing between the various asian cultures is racist, and then portraying themselves as part of an overarching asian culture.

Really, the issue isn't about 'asian' culture and traditions, it's about Asian-American culture, which I see as somewhat related but very distinctly different things.

Despite some of the dumb things he says, for example about the modernization of geisha aesthetic being offensive, which is kind of ridiculous considering the Japanese do that poo poo all the time, I rather like Frank Yang's article because he at least takes the time to go into the Madam Butterfly bullshit and talk about the fetisization of Asian women, which is what most people are getting at when they talk about this being racist, but most people aren't taking the effort to express well.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Who cares can we get back to complaining about how cold it is tia

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Chikansen :toot:

riderkick
May 7, 2007

That's a pretty solid article. It nailed how I kind of felt initially when I couldn't really phrase how I felt about it. The AMA show visually reminded me of the Mikado (I am aware that it's criticizing British government through a fictional Japanese setting).

And I think the big sting here is that in this particular instance Perry's outfit definitely looks more Chinese than Japanese while the PV you linked still looks Japanese. At least in my own opinion, but I think that's where a piece of the offense comes from. Asian culture is mish-mashed quite a bit in the West and it can get pretty tiresome.

non-Perry edit: It is driving me nuts that it's cold enough to need a coat outside but I get roasted on my commuter train. The heated seats are killing me.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

riderkick posted:

non-Perry edit: It is driving me nuts that it's cold enough to need a coat outside but I get roasted on my commuter train. The heated seats are killing me.

Balls, I'm flying out tomorrow and still debating on whether or not I need a heavy coat. Its still 10 degrees warmer in Tokyo then here in Seattle. May just bring a medium jacket and hedge my bets on it staying in the 50-60s.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Revolver Bunker posted:

Balls, I'm flying out tomorrow and still debating on whether or not I need a heavy coat. Its still 10 degrees warmer in Tokyo then here in Seattle. May just bring a medium jacket and hedge my bets on it staying in the 50-60s.

It depends on what you're used to. I will be in t-shirts until January except for maybe being outside for long periods of time in the dead of night. Unless you consider yourself extremely bad with the cold you definitely don't need a heavy coat.

Edit: Keep in mind you'll probably be riding a lot of somewhat crowded, heated trains. A too-heavy coat will have you baking.

\/\/\/ I know I'm on the cold-resistant side of the spectrum, but for pretty much anyone an actual heavy winter coat will be unnecessary and too hot

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 27, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Mainers are crazy.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

zmcnulty posted:

Basically your ticket includes local JR fare within the city of Osaka (or at least "city of Osaka" as defined by JR). If you're concerned about specifics here's a map but all in Japanese:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/kippu/11041.html

Osaka station, and obviously Shin-Osaka, are both on there.

Likewise your return ticket to Tokyo (if you're coming back) allows you to go to a lot of places within Tokyo served by JR. For example you can get off the Shin at Shinagawa and head over to Shinjuku. That's a lot of shins.

Is there some guide to reading tickets? How do you tell that it includes local JR fair and is also granting Shinkansen travel (besides being able to read Japanese)?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

French Canadian posted:

Is there some guide to reading tickets? How do you tell that it includes local JR fair and is also granting Shinkansen travel (besides being able to read Japanese)?

It's a Shinkansen ticket. That's what they look like basically, so you could tell even if you couldn't read Japanese, I guess. Also it says Nozomi in English, which is the name of the Shinkansen train (route?). I don't think it says anywhere that they also grant you local JR travel on it though... I think that's just a bonus because you dropped $100+ on a train ticket.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

French Canadian posted:

You can use hyperdia to check how much tickets will cost. This should give you a good indication of whether or not you've bought the right ticket.

If, for example, you bought a ticket from A -> B but end up exiting the system at C - which requires extra fare - then the gates will close when you try to exit the station. Just give your ticket to the attendant and they'll tell you how much you owe. It's a pretty regular occurrence.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Trip report. Been in Tokyo for about two days now. Only brought a medium coat and wind breaker and been fine. Getting use to the walking and how hot stores get inside. My biggest hurdles have been haphazardly trying to order food in broken Japanese, pointing and hand shapes. So far it's been working alright. It's a lot of fun.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I have a question in the cell phone thread if anyone wants to sperg out.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Ah, speaking of cellphones. To follow up on a post I made earlier about T-mobile and roaming. I called and confirmed yesterday that I have essentially free international data roaming. This is automatically included in my simple choice plan with them. Even if I activate the data roaming button I won't be charged extra. I still get messages warning me about extra charges from time to time but the customer service rep checked my account and I am not being billed extra. Which is great because Google Maps is a life saver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Are there any sites where you can download Japanese fansubs of American shows? Was thinking of introducing a friend to Breaking Bad and/or Game of Thrones... her English is actually pretty good, but I think she'd probably enjoy them more if she could just chill and focus on the plot/characters.

Last night my friend and I introduced her to Seinfeld (there's a mutual friend of ours who is basically an Australian George Costanza/Kramer hybrid) via "The Butter Shave" and "The Soup Nazi" which was a success, although there were a number of "pause and explain a joke/cultural reference" moments. Also didn't realize how fast the New York-y dialog in Seinfeld was, otherwise would probably like to use a few scenes for class.

• Locked thread