Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Davincie posted:

I might be wrong, but didn't those guys fight for practically free, instead of being hired to fight? Can't really call them mercenaries then.

I think they may have been entitled to a stipend or commission of some sort as they were, for almost all intents and purposes, flying as French belligerents. Some of the pilots actually had ties to France in the first place, either as expats or through family. It didn't mean they were conscripted or pressed, just that they may have held allegiance to France in some way and might have just as quickly fought in the trenches.

They were still volunteers, though. I don't think they were as clearly mercenaries as would be actual 'soldiers of fortune' a la Hessian mercenaries in the 18th century or Carthage's hired armies in the Punic wars, but they were about as close to the typical mercs engaging in war as day labor as you could get without actually haggling over pay. It wasn't like the US was in the war as a state actor yet, and they weren't an irregular, self-contained, organized unit, but at the same time their status was somewhat separate from French forces proper as they were kept as a contiguous element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Outside Dawg posted:

Yes, I believe the current "politically correct" term is Private Military Contractor, the US government (unless something has changed recently that I am unaware of), justifies this by their status as a participatory nation and not a signatory one.

Yet, in your rush to chastise, you skimmed my post and saw what you wanted to see instead of what was written, I stated a dictionary definition including the words "one that serves merely for wages", which you related as "paid to fight", which is not the same thing. One could choose to point out that your own reply is superficial in that regard, as well as bad posting.

As to the Geneva Accords/Protocols, I believe I addressed that, which apparently you either did not read, did not comprehend or chose to ignore. So I'll just put it back out there for you, "despite the efforts of the employing powers to play with the niceties of diplomacy and treaty to obscure the truth of their practices." , which refers to the protocols.

Yeah, no. Foreign members of a national military are not mercenaries. You are just wrong on this. There's no 'obscuring the truth of their practices' here, literally all professional soldiers work for their wages, there's no requirement in the Geneva convention that you pass a Nationalist fevor test to be a true soldier.

In any case that's just one stage of a multi-stage test you need to go through to know if you are looking at a mercenary.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 25, 2013

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Outside Dawg, would it be correct to say that you place special emphasis on the word merely? As in, any professional soldier is paid to fight, but a mercenary fights only for coin, no greater purpose?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Entire Universe posted:

I don't think they were as clearly mercenaries as would be actual 'soldiers of fortune' a la Hessian mercenaries in the 18th century...
I don't like the term mercenaries for the quasi-slaves of the German small states in the 18th c, since they didn't act as economic agents but were forced into service and sold by their heads of state (by the head, just like livestock) to foreign heads of state. Don't know what else to call them, though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's also a moot point for the Ghurkas 'cause India and Nepal were British during the world wars, regardless of how you define mercenary.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Geneva protocols on mercenaries is not just some idle nicety to obscure the truth. It is literally international law. It's what determines your legal treatment if you get captured. There is no way, as you seem to argue, to make yourself somehow not a mercenary by claiming you are motivated by patriotism or something. (By your definition, also, Ghurkhas are not mercenaries because they can be motivated by the citizenship benefits, or the goal of gaining reputation.)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 25, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Alchenar posted:

that's just one stage of a multi-stage test you need to go through to know if you are looking at a mercenary.

I
Among twenty snowy mountains,
The only moving thing
Was the eye of the mercenary.

II
I was of three minds,
Like a field
In which there are three mercenaries.

III
The mercenary whirled in the autumn winds.
He was a small part of the pantomime.

IV
A man and a woman
Are one.
A man and a woman and a mercenary
Are one.

V
I do not know which to prefer,
The beauty of inflections
Or the beauty of innuendoes,
The mercenary singing
Or just after.

VI
Icicles filled the long window
With barbaric glass.
The shadow of the mercenary
Crossed it, to and fro.
The mood
Traced in the shadow
An indecipherable cause.

VII
O thin men of Humanism,
Why do you imagine golden legions?
Do you not see how the mercenary
Walks around
The citizens about you?

VIII
I know noble accents
And lucid, inescapable rhythms;
But I know, too,
That the mercenary is involved
In what I know.

IX
When the mercenaries marched out of sight,
They marked the edge
Of one of many circles.

X
At the sight of mercenaries
Marching in a green light,
Even the bawds of euphony
Would cry out sharply.

XI
He rode over the Palatinate
In a glass coach.
Once, a fear pierced him,
In that he mistook
The shadow of his equipage
For mercenaries.

XII
The river is moving.
The mercenaries must be heading out.

XIII
It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow.
The mercenary sat
Beneath the cedar-limbs.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 25, 2013

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Caustic Soda posted:

Outside Dawg, would it be correct to say that you place special emphasis on the word merely? As in, any professional soldier is paid to fight, but a mercenary fights only for coin, no greater purpose?

Yes, granted as a citizen, you are paid to serve in your own military, however the motivations to serve, in most cases, goes far beyond just fighting for coin. I could have made far more as a mercenary, than I ever did serving in my country's military.

AdmiralSmeggins
Nov 1, 2013

Fangz posted:

The Geneva protocols on mercenaries is not just some idle nicety to obscure the truth. It is literally international law. It's what determines your legal treatment if you get captured. There is no way, as you seem to argue, to make yourself somehow not a mercenary by claiming you are motivated by patriotism or something. (By your definition, also, Ghurkhas are not mercenaries because they can be motivated by the citizenship benefits, or the goal of gaining reputation.)

Meh not everything is cut and dry, Loyalist Paramilitaries were supported by the British army financially and the most common motive was monetary gain. As for the correct classification and treatment of combatants, I think we all know it's a situation of the strong deciding what constitutes acceptable classification and behaviour.

AdmiralSmeggins fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 25, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Please repost in the GiP contractor megathread, tia.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

EDIT: Thought better of the derail. Sorry about that.

Azathoth fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 25, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Goodbye thread, we hardly knew ye.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

What does this thread have in common with Madgeburg? Both got ran into the ground by mercenaries!

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Outside Dawg posted:

Yes, granted as a citizen, you are paid to serve in your own military, however the motivations to serve, in most cases, goes far beyond just fighting for coin. I could have made far more as a mercenary, than I ever did serving in my country's military.

Ah, I thought as much. I would argue that defining a mercenary based on motivation is problematic though, as that is a fickle and often multidimensional thing. Azathoth has made the point of coin as a major/only motivator to join a national army.

I am under the impression that service as a mercenary may also include non-monetary concerns, albeit not necessary the main one. For example, IIRC the majority of Wild Geese mercenaries made a point of serving in catholic forces, often against protestant forces. HEGEL'd probably know better than I, though. There's some overlap with her (?) time period.

Edit: Has the MilHist thread been taken over by mercenary talk before? I only knew of WW2 talk, especially tank destroyers or that bear.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 25, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Caustic Soda posted:

For example, IIRC the majority of Wild Geese mercenaries made a point of serving in catholic forces, often against protestant forces. HEGEL'd probably know better than I, though. There's some overlap with her (?) time period.
Her, and most of them fought for France or Austria, where there's still a bunch of Irish-Austrians (there were Irish-French nobles too, until the Revolution). I know very little about Irish history, though, so I don't know what their reaction was if their opponents were Catholic, as so many of France's opponents were.

The Scots were the same thing but for Protestant powers like Gustavus Adolphus.

On the other hand, Germans switch sides a lot and I am not personally familiar with anyone having a crisis of conscience if their latest employer happens to practice a different religion. Even Monro, one of the aforementioned Scots and a staunch Calvinist, could make jokes about religious differences and chill out every time he went to a dinner party with Catholics.

Edit:

Agean90 posted:

What does this thread have in common with Madgeburg? Both got ran into the ground by mercenaries!
Wow, people are discussing things I'm not interested in? Best roll up and tell them to stop, rather than posting something that does grab me!

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 25, 2013

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Hm. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the Early Modern Era had both hateful religious bigots and more cosmopolitan people. People are people, after all, no matter the era.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Caustic Soda posted:

Hm. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the Early Modern Era had both hateful religious bigots and more cosmopolitan people. People are people, after all, no matter the era.
It's a cliche of 30YW scholarship that by the end of it very few people gave a poo poo about the public reaction to religious differences, regarding them as "private matters" or "matters of conscience" instead of one of the things that it is a head of state's responsibility to legislate. On the one hand, scholarship has moved on since Wedgewood said that in the 1930s, but on the other hand there it turns out there are a lot of people who are pretty chill about the whole thing. The Elector of Saxony was loyal to the Emperor up until the middle of the 1620s because he regarded the Imperial authority as the legitimate authority in the Empire and saw the rebellion as illegal, even though he was Protestant and the Emperor was Catholic. He would have stayed loyal too, if Ferdinand II (who was a fanatic) hadn't alienated him with his anti-Protestantism.

For that matter, the royal family of Saxony have been Catholic ever since August the Strong had to convert in order to become King of Poland, but as heads of Saxony they were still heads of the Corpus Evangelicorum, and...as far as I know, everyone seemed OK with this. (He built a covered bridge between the royal residence and the main Catholic church in Dresden so the Protestant courtiers wouldn't see the Catholic ones going to church and make fun of them, but that was about it.)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 25, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
To bring it back to thin sword chat again I just saw this video and it is pertinent (to a week ago):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efZLw-tlIOs

he also disagrees with me on the hand thing :v:

And I haven't watched most of the videos yet (he has like a bazillion of them jeez) but this channel looks fairly good and way better than most weapon focused youtubes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Azran posted:

:neckbeard: Thanks a lot. Gotta say your posts got me into reading more about planes, and I'm just in love with the topic.

At what altitude did pilots engage at during WW1? Open canopies must have limited them in some measure?

I can't actually answer the question, but as a practical matter you don't want to be above 10k feet without supplemental oxygen. I suspect most fighter engagements were below that threshold, but this is an assumption.

Edit: Curious what the thread thinks about the hundreds (possibly thousands) of foreign citizens serving as enlisted members of the US military. They're not mercenaries

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 25, 2013

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Koramei posted:

To bring it back to thin sword chat again I just saw this video and it is pertinent (to a week ago):

And I haven't watched most of the videos yet (he has like a bazillion of them jeez) but this channel looks fairly good and way better than most weapon focused youtubes.

I like this guy, he teaches longsword primarily but dabbles in whatever swords catch his fancy.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
On the mercenary thing, so far it looks like a distinct command structure is the best single point definition. Mercenaries have their own leadership and internal hierarchy distinct from national ones.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Godholio posted:

Edit: Curious what the thread thinks about the hundreds (possibly thousands) of foreign citizens serving as enlisted members of the US military. They're not mercenaries
I know. And anything I say to this conversation will probably be an outlier anyway, since I believe that nationalism is mental poison while exchanging services for cash is a sensible idea.

Being a mercenary isn't inherently immoral, it's the use they're often put to in the 20th and 21st centuries, as Alchenar mentioned, that is.

Edit:

Koesj posted:

Please repost in the GiP contractor megathread, tia.
I'm especially proud of VII :keke:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 25, 2013

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

veekie posted:

On the mercenary thing, so far it looks like a distinct command structure is the best single point definition. Mercenaries have their own leadership and internal hierarchy distinct from national ones.

What is the consensus on the international brigades in Spain, then? The Condor Legion or the various pro-Republican forces were organized seperately from the locals, I think. Does the Geneva Convention treat ”adventurers” or foreign volunteers as lawful combatants?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

sullat posted:

What is the consensus on the international brigades in Spain, then? The Condor Legion or the various pro-Republican forces were organized seperately from the locals, I think. Does the Geneva Convention treat ”adventurers” or foreign volunteers as lawful combatants?

Hahahaha the Geneva convention being followed in Spain, that's a good one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Terror_(Spain)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Terror_(Spain)

If you were captured by the other side in the Spanish civil war the odds were fairly good you'd be dead in a matter of hours.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sullat posted:

They were, but then the bulk of the Republican army was being built from scratch while under war-fighting conditions, which confuses things somewhat.

To quote the wiki:

quote:

Later in the war, military discipline tightened and learning Spanish became mandatory. By decree of 23 September 1937, the International Brigades formally became units of the Spanish Foreign Legion.[13] This made them subject to the Spanish Code of Military Justice. However the Spanish Foreign Legion itself sided with the Nationalists throughout the coup and the civil war.[13] The same decree also specified that non-Spanish officers in the Brigades should not exceed Spanish ones by more than 50 per cent[14]

That indicates that (if anyone had cared at the time, which they didn't) they were incorporated into the army.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
I'm not sure if this counts, since they were organised into the German Army, under the command of a German general, but IIRC Lettow-Vorbeck hired a lot of Askaris who were not part of/native to the German colonies (and, I'm told, poached soldiers from entente forces) with such insidious tactics as offering higher pay.

There would, of course, be no other motivation for joining the dastardly Hun as no right-thinking African fellow had cause to complain about the enlightened rule of Britain, France, or Belgium in the late 1800-early 1900s, but those chaps are easily distracted by the sorts of shiny baubles offered by the Bosch.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Godholio posted:

I can't actually answer the question, but as a practical matter you don't want to be above 10k feet without supplemental oxygen. I suspect most fighter engagements were below that threshold, but this is an assumption.

And WWI did feature some supplemental oxygen systems. In 1917(?) the German deployed oxygen apparatus for some reconnaissance and fighter aircraft as well as for Zeppelin crews. The British had a similar system deployed about the same time. They weren't widely used, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hahahaha the Geneva convention being followed in Spain, that's a good one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Terror_(Spain)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Terror_(Spain)

If you were captured by the other side in the Spanish civil war the odds were fairly good you'd be dead in a matter of hours.

Well, sure, on a practical level the convention is mostly a suggestion, and the feared atrocities of the Republic were matched with very concrete retaliation by the nationalists, but I am curious about the legal status of volunteers and advisors not associated with a foreign government. Since the international brigades were folded inro the regular army, that does seem to resolve the issue in their case.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know in which tread to post anymore :(

How was mental trauma dealt with before the 20th century? I assume it's somewhere between "gently caress that grunt" and "a farmer doesn't need a psychiatrist" but there must be at least some novels about how people dealt with their traumas afterwards. I assume that months of marching desperate for food coupled with the occasional stabbing and shooting must upset your brain on a somewhat equal term as modern day warfare.

a travelling HEGEL posted:

I know. And anything I say to this conversation will probably be an outlier anyway, since I believe that nationalism is mental poison while exchanging services for cash is a sensible idea.

Make sure, however, that you'll actually be paid for your services before joining on a foreign adventure

http://www.interpretermag.com/the-last-battle-of-the-slavonic-corps/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

sullat posted:

The Geneva conventions as applicable to prisoners of war deals significantly with only declared wars between states, not civil wars.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mans posted:

How was mental trauma dealt with before the 20th century? I assume it's somewhere between "gently caress that grunt" and "a farmer doesn't need a psychiatrist" but there must be at least some novels about how people dealt with their traumas afterwards. I assume that months of marching desperate for food coupled with the occasional stabbing and shooting must upset your brain on a somewhat equal term as modern day warfare.

Make sure, however, that you'll actually be paid for your services before joining on a foreign adventure

http://www.interpretermag.com/the-last-battle-of-the-slavonic-corps/

The same way that sadly too many people deal with it today. Lots of alcohol.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Mans posted:

A lot of what we think as trauma symptoms are simply adaptation to combat though. Paranoia and hyperalertness are useful traits when you really have a decent chance of being stabbed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Koramei posted:

Him and Lindybeige make a lot of good points about weapon use. Lindybeige seems to have a drat solid pedigree in ancient-to-midieval weapons based on how he talks, but he seems to always be very careful to state that he is only putting forward an idea or opinion of his own and not fact.

That video though, the misconception... it seems to me that any rapier I've ever handled has been heavy enough, but compared to the blocky "conan sword" stuff that most people get to try out around these parts the fact that it "only" weighs 2-3 lbs means that it's maybe half or even only a third of the weight of those crowbars. The terrible balance of the kind of thing that gets bought out of wolf and dragon t-shirt shops doesn't help the perception either.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Fangz posted:

The Geneva conventions as applicable to prisoners of war deals significantly with only declared wars between states, not civil wars.

It does *now*. Article 3 specifically talks about "conflicts not of an international character," but that bit didn't exist until the post-war.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mans posted:

The word "nostalgia," which is Greek for "homecoming + pain," was invented in 1688 by Johannes Hofer to describe how Swiss mercenaries felt sometimes.

quote:

Hofer introduced nostalgia or mal du pays, "homesickness," for the condition also known as mal du Suisse, "Swiss illness," or Schweizerheimweh, "Swiss homesickness," because of its frequent occurrence in Swiss mercenaries who in the plains of lowlands of France or Italy were pining for their native mountain landscapes. Symptoms were also thought to include fainting, high fever, indigestion, stomach pain, and death
The treatment is to discharge the patient and send him back to his weird-rear end homeland, where he can speak freakish German with the people he left behind.

Edit: These people are crude, accustomed to violence in their lives and justice system, and inured to their own suffering and the suffering of others. But they're not monsters. If you see someone in trouble, your instinct is to help--they simply do not know how.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 26, 2013

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Arquinsiel posted:

Him and Lindybeige make a lot of good points about weapon use. Lindybeige seems to have a drat solid pedigree in ancient-to-midieval weapons based on how he talks, but he seems to always be very careful to state that he is only putting forward an idea or opinion of his own and not fact.

Lindybeige is chronically wrong, and he puts himself forward as an authority. Whether or not it's just his opinion he expects people to treat it as credible historical fact. As such he deserves to get ripped.

Over in the medieval history thread Hegel did an excellent job of demolishing his thoughts on pikes. He really embodies the bad aspects of reenactors, specifically the notion that what they do is perfect historical reconstruction. Therefore if something works for them it must have been how they did it in the past. Primary sources? Who needs em?! I've been there, maaaaan.

The schola gladiatoria guy seems fine though. Railtus, the medieval history OP, would have a stronger opinion since medieval & renaissance martial arts are his focus.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Lindybeige is chronically wrong, and he puts himself forward as an authority. Whether or not it's just his opinion he expects people to treat it as credible historical fact. As such he deserves to get ripped.

Over in the medieval history thread Hegel did an excellent job of demolishing his thoughts on pikes. He really embodies the bad aspects of reenactors, specifically the notion that what they do is perfect historical reconstruction. Therefore if something works for them it must have been how they did it in the past. Primary sources? Who needs em?! I've been there, maaaaan.

The schola gladiatoria guy seems fine though. Railtus, the medieval history OP, would have a stronger opinion since medieval & renaissance martial arts are his focus.

Would you be able to elaborate? I've seen quite a few of that guy's videos and he came through as an utterly insufferable know-it-all (which was cemented when he made some videos about "People care about global warming? More like sheeple! :smug:")

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only video i saw of him was the one about hoplites and how silly it is to think they fought with pushing matches, since that's a wonderful way of killing your frontline and making spears useless.
He seemed pretty sensible.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

steinrokkan posted:

Would you be able to elaborate? I've seen quite a few of that guy's videos and he came through as an utterly insufferable know-it-all (which was cemented when he made some videos about "People care about global warming? More like sheeple! :smug:")

Sure. Here's Hegel's post where she's responding to the linked video (even though she doesn't include it in the quotes for some reason) http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529788&userid=191005#post413782784

As for my particular issue, the best one I can think of is his insistence that spears (edit: single-handed spears that is) were used exclusively underhand unless you were throwing them, based on his experiences as a reenactor. Someone in the comments section pointed out that plenty of red figure pottery (the stereotypical Greek vase) has overhand spear use. He made a reply video where he insisted the only possible reason such a use was included is because these artists were trying to sell pots, and overhand spear use looked more dramatic. He then cherry-picked some examples of what he considers to be 'more realistic' depictions where, of course, the spears are underhand. It was really blatant confirmation bias.

This is ignoring of course the resources of the Bayeux Tapestry (where basically ALL the English foot are using their spears overhand) and the Morgan Bible (where the one example of single-handed spear-use by infantry is overhand)

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Sure. Here's Hegel's post where she's responding to the linked video (even though she doesn't include it in the quotes for some reason) http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529788&userid=191005#post413782784
Please ignore the part where I talk about myself, it was such a bad thing to say and I'm embarrassed now. :cripes:

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

This is ignoring of course the resources of the Bayeux Tapestry (where basically ALL the English foot are using their spears overhand) and the Morgan Bible (where the one example of single-handed spear-use by infantry is overhand)
And, of course, the drawings of the important eyewitness and chronicler Onfim of Novgorod :kimchi:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 26, 2013

• Locked thread