Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Film cameras at festivals are great. I've walked quite a number of SLRs, and a Mamiya 6 past security in Germany by just saying "Oh it's film", when they say "no professional cameras" and I've not got a press pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

ShotgunWillie posted:

How did you get in touch with him?

I just emailed him. jurgen@certo6.com

In other news, I got the roll of ancient Kodacolor II processed today. As I feared, it wasn't usable. Somehow the arrows on the backing paper left a mark/imprint/exposure on the film. Can't complain too much, the film was (probably) from the 70s.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Kodacolor II was the first commercially available C-41 film and notably unstable. I've never seen a roll develop even remotely useable.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

This probably doesn't affect us in any way but interesting to note that Leica bought over Sinar: http://petapixel.com/2013/11/26/leica-acquires-swiss-large-format-view-camera-manufacturer-sinar/

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I'm shopping around for Kodak Tri-X 400 120 and I'm getting prices including shipping in the range of £45 for ten rolls.

By the looks of things this is going to be the best price I can get, are there any shops out there that are cheaper I may not be aware of?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Greyish Orange posted:

I'm shopping around for Kodak Tri-X 400 120 and I'm getting prices including shipping in the range of £45 for ten rolls.

By the looks of things this is going to be the best price I can get, are there any shops out there that are cheaper I may not be aware of?

That looks about right based on the cheapest guy in Ireland. (€5.18 a roll of 120.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mrenda posted:

That looks about right based on the cheapest guy in Ireland. (€5.18 a roll of 120.)

Where's this, thephotoshop.ie? Gunns?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Greyish Orange posted:

Always check the 7dayshop, they'll always be the cheapest, if not pretty close, in the UK and do free shipping too (from memory):
http://www.7dayshop.com/kodak-profe...2JyYW5kPTIwNg==

2 pro packs for ~£39.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Spedman posted:

Always check the 7dayshop, they'll always be the cheapest, if not pretty close, in the UK and do free shipping too (from memory):
http://www.7dayshop.com/kodak-profe...2JyYW5kPTIwNg==

2 pro packs for ~£39.

Yeah I did end up going with them, it's still £2 postage but it comes out at a grand total of just under £42 however!

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Where's this, thephotoshop.ie? Gunns?

thephotoshop.ie.

The guy running it has always been decent to me. I'm not in Dublin so Gunn's doesn't work for me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cool, I just got some MF from them the other day.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I've been thinking for a while to get a rangefinder MF camera, and I saw this Fujifilm GS690 II with a 90mm lens for $550. It sounds like a good price, is it though?

Also, the photo shows a GW690, not a GSW so I'm wondering if it's legit..

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Santa is strapped posted:

I've been thinking for a while to get a rangefinder MF camera, and I saw this Fujifilm GS690 II with a 90mm lens for $550. It sounds like a good price, is it though?

Have you cross checked with keh and with sold listings on ebay? That's the good way to check these things.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Keh only has the GL690 for $450ish BGN. I'll check ebay, that's a good idea

e: hmm, ebay has it at buy it now for 450-550. I'll check the camera in person and if it's good I'll get it.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 29, 2013

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Santa is strapped posted:

If it has a 90mm lens than it's a GW, the GSW has a 65mm lens. Also, I bought my GW690ii from KEH for like $400 I think and they have the warranty and all that, so $550 seems a little high.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Is there a reason why the Dorkroom seems to be the only place that champions Fuji MF rangefinders? They really are fantastic workhorses, I haven't even thought about touching my Kowa Six since I got my GW690II.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

aliencowboy posted:

Is there a reason why the Dorkroom seems to be the only place that champions Fuji MF rangefinders? They really are fantastic workhorses, I haven't even thought about touching my Kowa Six since I got my GW690II.

It seems like most sites get in a Leica, Hasselblad, Rollei circlejerk and forget other brands exist, especially the bourgeois Japanese ones.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

aliencowboy posted:

It's not. I remember people on RFF loving them when I posted there.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

eggsovereasy posted:

If it has a 90mm lens than it's a GW, the GSW has a 65mm lens. Also, I bought my GW690ii from KEH for like $400 I think and they have the warranty and all that, so $550 seems a little high.

I have to agree with this, $400-450 is about right for a fully functioning GW690, unless it's super mint or has a very low roll count.

The only flickr mail I get is from people asking me about the GW690, I think people are surprised by how well it performs shooting landscapes, and how little chat there is about it around the web.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Spedman posted:

how little chat there is about it around the web.

Fuji does/did an awful job of advertising and customer relations. Their gear is absolutely top-notch but they couldn't sell water to a man in the desert. Fujinon 35mm/LF lenses are the same way, they're right up there with Canon/Nikon/whoever and Rodenstock/Schneider/etc but no one knows about them.

And their supply chain management is abysmal. Most of the time you don't get any advance warning that a film is discontinued, it just goes out of stock and then you read a memo telling you it's gone forever. I don't know if they do a better job communicating with their Asian customers, but they need to work on it with the US for sure.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I had saved up some rolls and sheets of film to do some C-41 development and I started on it today, but still have like 12 sheets to do tomorrow though. This is only the second time I've done C-41 on my own, first time was forever ago and I don't really remember it.

Anyway I think I got decent results

On the next one, there is something weird going on in the sky and I'm not sure what would have caused this. I'm using a mod54 reel and just using the twirl stick thing that came with my Paterson tank, maybe I'm twirly too fast?

edit:

ugh, I have a lightleak in one of my film holders. This is the second time I've seen this happen, first time I thought I just botched something in my development or something because it looks really weird on the negative, but here it is again:

The good news is I have it narrowed down to two different holders, guess I need to number them and take notes on which subject was taken with which film holder.

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 30, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

eggsovereasy posted:

On the next one, there is something weird going on in the sky and I'm not sure what would have caused this. I'm using a mod54 reel and just using the twirl stick thing that came with my Paterson tank, maybe I'm twirly too fast?

Yep. Looks exactly like what I get if I'm too vigorous with my agitation with the MOD54.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

My new portable darkroom got delivered this week, its a :420: growth tent :420: really, but it worked a treat yesterday after some wrangling to get it up:

And here are some of the tintypes involving flowers and neighbours:

Bells by mr_student, on Flickr

Jess by mr_student, on Flickr

Bells by mr_student, on Flickr

All shot with a 4x5 on blackened aluminium, with a 8" f/2.9 lens.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Spedman posted:

My new portable darkroom got delivered this week, its a :420: growth tent :420: really, but it worked a treat yesterday after some wrangling to get it up:

That's a pretty good idea.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Yep. Looks exactly like what I get if I'm too vigorous with my agitation with the MOD54.

I tried to be a little more gentle with it today and didn't see the same effect. The JOBO 4x5 reel seems to be a better design than the mod54, but some of that JOBO stuff is expensive.

Finished processing my backlog of film today

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 1, 2013

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Well I have my Camera now and five rolls of 120 film, lets see what it can do in Berlin next week.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Still struggling with this camera

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

The Clit Avoider posted:

Film cameras at festivals are great. I've walked quite a number of SLRs, and a Mamiya 6 past security in Germany by just saying "Oh it's film", when they say "no professional cameras" and I've not got a press pass.

From the photo pit at Harpa, at Iceland Airwaves 2013. This dude is trying to take a picture of Omar Souleyman performing on stage.\

Click for big.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Greyish Orange posted:

Well I have my Camera now and five rolls of 120 film, lets see what it can do in Berlin next week.

I always test new film cameras before I take them traveling... you never know if there's gonna be an issue you didn't spot (light leak, film advance, etc), and nothing sucks like developing a trips worth of photos and having them all come out hosed up.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

From the photo pit at Harpa, at Iceland Airwaves 2013. This dude is trying to take a picture of Omar Souleyman performing on stage.\

Click for big.

I really want to see what he came up with.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Got back a couple rolls of Velvia 100 that I shot a few months back and kept forgetting to send off. Two or three of frames completely blank, a couple way overexposed and a few slightly underexposed giving some slightly weird skin tones. The majority came out well though and the slides look so nice. Metering is hard.

Also discovered from some holiday snaps that the Zeiss Jena 50/4 Flektogon flares pretty severely if you point it anywhere near the sun, fortunately that is rarely a problem here in Scotland. Also has strong vignette and distortion but that's a bit easier to fix.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

TMAX 400

Porcelain Tiles, Outram, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Arrows, Outram, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Discarded Steps, Outram, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Pipes, Outram, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

TMX/Y is a film I want to try. I see a lot that are just muddy grey, but when you get a good tonal range like these it looks beautiful. What do you use to process it? I pretty much only keep Rodinal around because I'm lazy and it's easy mix, is it any good in that?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

eggsovereasy posted:

TMX/Y is a film I want to try. I see a lot that are just muddy grey, but when you get a good tonal range like these it looks beautiful. What do you use to process it? I pretty much only keep Rodinal around because I'm lazy and it's easy mix, is it any good in that?

I've never tried Rodinal before so I can't comment on it. I just use HC-110 and dilution B. It's possible that lots of people just put it up online straight from the scan, that might explain the muddy grays, though I think it's the same for any b&w film scan out there.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just stuck a roll of TMAX 400 into my bronica, can't wait to try it.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Sorry about the dust

portra160_2 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

portra160_3 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

portra160_4 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

portra160_5 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

portra160_6 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

portra160_7 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

portra160_8 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

reala007 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

reala008 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 4, 2013

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
4th and 6th are really fantastic

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Colour in those waves is gorgeous.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sludge Tank posted:

Sorry about the dust

portra160_8 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

This is great.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Got my first roll of Portra back. Second time shooting medium format. First time shooting the TLR and getting workable negatives back.

Broad Street, empty. Thanksgiving Day by benruset, on Flickr

Bond Street by benruset, on Flickr

These were scanned on an Epson v600, imported into Aperture, sharpened, and exported to JPG. Everything else is as shot. I feel like both might be a little overexposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

They're not overexposed, you need to work with your curves.

• Locked thread