Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Swink posted:

Win 8 OEM PCs came in!

Oh God please tell me there's a way to apply my Win7 MDT image and somehow get it registered!

Great machine-spirits help you, cause god certainly won't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Great machine-spirits help you, cause god certainly won't

Bad username\post combo. :(

chia
Dec 23, 2005

Helushune posted:

Things pissing me off today: Windows 8's Hyper-V manager being unable to connect to servers running 2008r2. Does anyone have a utility they like for this kind of thing? I just moved my workstation over to 8.1 Enterprise without knowing this limitation and most of our Hyper-V hosts are still running 2008r2. That'll show me for leaping before I look.

Yep, this. Annoying as gently caress.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A laptop security request came in...

MaaS360 apparently takes 4 hours to remote-wipe a laptop. Anyone fond of other remote-wipe applications that are easy to deploy and don't take forever? We at least want to blow away C:\Users first and quickly, the rest of the OS and other stuff can be wiped after.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
A ticket came in:

quote:

when i open up the 7th session in windows, this what appears to be windows xp just drops an open one to make space for the new... why????

What on EARTH does this mean?!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

QPZIL posted:

A ticket came in:

XP combining duplicate instances of IE (~*~THE INTERNET~*~) on the taskbar?

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

QPZIL posted:

A ticket came in:

<A T.S. Eliot sentence>

Well, if we take it at face value, the user seems to be opening multiple terminal sessions to different computers, getting up to 6 of them open, and then when they try to open the 7th, it's dropping a previous session to make space for it? (Is my best guess.)

Sounds like an "As Designed," if that's the case. Also, why the hell would you have that many terminal sessions open? I'm a routinely overbooked Helpdesk worker and the max I've ever had open at a time was 5.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

frogbert posted:

Cant you just image one and clone it to the rest of them?

Hah!
Our imaging server died a month ago. It was almost completely back last week...and today I learned it crashed again and had to be rebuilt.

And imaging the whole lab would've required removing every one manually from sccm and the domain, then re-adding software like type to learn. Our junior admin/bench tech was working on making more and more of that automated when the whole thing was lost in a crash (our admins weren't backing it up properly if at all).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Renegret posted:

XP combining duplicate instances of IE (~*~THE INTERNET~*~) on the taskbar?

We have 0 XP computers now :psyduck:

KweezNArt posted:

Well, if we take it at face value, the user seems to be opening multiple terminal sessions to different computers, getting up to 6 of them open, and then when they try to open the 7th, it's dropping a previous session to make space for it? (Is my best guess.)

Sounds like an "As Designed," if that's the case. Also, why the hell would you have that many terminal sessions open? I'm a routinely overbooked Helpdesk worker and the max I've ever had open at a time was 5.

This person works in Finance, they don't open terminal sessions at all :psyduck:

I'm just looking through open tickets - tomorrow's my last day so I'm not taking any new ones :)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

There's at least one other person here supporting Open Text Content Server right?

Can we start some sort of support group?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

QPZIL posted:

A ticket came in:

...and lo, he opened the 7th terminal, and there was a great wailing of modems, and the bitrate was lost, and the parity was set to 2.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

odiv posted:

There's at least one other person here supporting Open Text Content Server right?

Can we start some sort of support group?

OpenText eDocs DM for me.

Did you know that upgrading from 5.2.1 to 5.3.1 changes the amount of time it takes to open a document profile form (which all of my users do dozens to hundreds of times a day) from 2-3 seconds to 10-20 seconds?

I can't upgrade to fix a bunch of major bugs because if I do the users here will riot and murder me.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

OpenText eDocs DM for me.

Did you know that upgrading from 5.2.1 to 5.3.1 changes the amount of time it takes to open a document profile form (which all of my users do dozens to hundreds of times a day) from 2-3 seconds to 10-20 seconds?

I can't upgrade to fix a bunch of major bugs because if I do the users here will riot and murder me.

"We need .net 4.5 patches installed! It's Urgent and Affecting Production on the OpenText server! NO YOU CAN'T RESTART IT IT'S PRODUCTION! NO not even during the outage window! WHY AREN'T MY PATCHES INSTALLED YET?!?!"

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Antioch posted:

"We need .net 4.5 patches installed! It's Urgent and Affecting Production on the OpenText server! NO YOU CAN'T RESTART IT IT'S PRODUCTION! NO not even during the outage window! WHY AREN'T MY PATCHES INSTALLED YET?!?!"

This, with the added bonus that the reason you need to upgrade to 4.5 is that there's a giant memory leak if you use any other version of .NET, and 4.5 + the newest version of DM won't install on server 2003 so better hope you don't mind upgrading.

(lol we still have server 2003 in our environment)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Server 2003 isn't EOL until July 2015, so it's not a huge deal to leave it for a while.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Server 2003 isn't EOL until July 2015, so it's not a huge deal to leave it for a while.

It is a big deal because I currently have to restart services every day to stop a memory leak from blowing up my production DM servers!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Why do you have to do that manually? Scheduled task won't cut it?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Why do you have to do that manually? Scheduled task won't cut it?

No, a scheduled task is fine, it would just be nice if my applications didn't have memory leaks in them?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Pfft, ask for the world why don't you.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
Glad I can say that a sharepoint-based helpdesk ticketing system wasn't my idea. CLUNK CLINK CLANG.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

No, a scheduled task is fine, it would just be nice if my applications didn't have memory leaks in them?

Look man, software development is like food service. Either we take extra time to make everything look nice and assure that it's got a nice balance of nutrients and will taste good, or we throw cheap greasy meat and cheese at vaguely the center of a bun and hand it to you without you even having to apply your brakes. The latter might make a mess but it's your fault for honking.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

QPZIL posted:

We have 0 XP computers now :psyduck:

Same thing with Win7. They have too many apps open for the task bar to display all at once, so is scrolls. It should have up/down arrows to move between apps. I kept running into that problem, so I just set it to make the icons small. Here's some screenshots:

Before:

After I've opened more apps than can be displayed on the taskbar at once:

After hitting the up/down arrows:

My guess is that it automatically scrolls to the empty-ish taskbar and that person is freaking out that their apps have closed/crashed. They just need to hit the up/down arrows to go to see the rest of their open apps.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 26, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That is too much poo poo in the notification area on right.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Yeah sorry consultant guy the SA password is not the problem if I'm able to use these very same credentials to run queries against the database fix your program thanks in advance!

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

go3 posted:

Yeah sorry consultant guy the SA password is not the problem if I'm able to use these very same credentials to run queries against the database fix your program thanks in advance!

Is your password " '' OR 1=1 --"? :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well I didn't expect to be bringing up a VPN tunnel on a Tuesday night to let some staff in Iraq watch BBC iPlayer...

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Haha, iSeries Navigator. We're running 6.2 or something like it and because we assign display names by PC instead of by user account, I had to install it outside of Program Files on Win7 since it was trying to read/write to the .ws file inside of Program Files. Then I had to put in a symbolic link to fool it into thinking it was still in Program Files because our SSO app was looking for it there :suicide:

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Pyroclastic posted:

.NET patches that take 25 minutes apiece to install for some godforsaken reason

Honestly, if nothing that uses the .net framework is broken and needs the update to work, don't install these. They take loving forever and have a habit of breaking stuff that uses the .net framework and ISN'T already broken. Mostly ancient stuff or small dev house stuff but still, I'd just say uncheck these in similar situations in the future.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a ticket came in:

"The mailbox's for Users: A, B and C must be exterminated by end of day today"

:dalek:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

or perhaps they're ridden with vermin

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mailbox's

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

hihifellow posted:

Haha, iSeries Navigator. We're running 6.2 or something like it and because we assign display names by PC instead of by user account, I had to install it outside of Program Files on Win7 since it was trying to read/write to the .ws file inside of Program Files. Then I had to put in a symbolic link to fool it into thinking it was still in Program Files because our SSO app was looking for it there :suicide:

Would you mind if I ask you some questions on that program? We normally use Extra Personal Client for AS400 access, but corporate office wants us to migrate to this IBM terminal emulator instead. Problem is, all of our users are so used to just hitting the red X to close the program. That's no big deal in EPC, but for some reason, with this program it will close the program but their session continues running on the AS400. Then when they try to re-launch, it throws up an error that their session is already in use. Unfortunately, they didn't bother to give us any kind of training on this so it's been a massive pain in the rear end.

Also, we too use an SSO program that will be expecting to find those .ws files under program files so I'll definitely be interested in that.

Fishmanpet posted:

That is too much poo poo in the notification area on right.
Eh, it doesn't bother me enough to bother disabling any of them. I do, however, wonder why in the hell both Parallels and Outlook seem to think that they need an icon in the notification area. They're both on the taskbar for fucks sake. With Outlook, I can understand the 'new messages' icon that is there, but the main program icon is unnecessary.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 27, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We use the IBM terminal emulator program but we also set our AS400 to allow unlimited sessions. We have users who have two or three open on various screens, no big deal.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

An oncall page came in! :frogsiren:

My first oncall rotation ever and I got paged half an hour after getting home on the first day. Fortunately it wasn't anything major - a service had crashed, dumped core, automatically restarted, ran out of disk space because of the huge core file, gotten deallocated by the scheduler and re-started from scratch, and the monitoring system had happened to check on it just as this was happening. We're still root-causing it, but nothing customer-facing happened and it didn't take terribly long to look through the logs, figure out what happened, and go back to dinner, but that was seriously scary for a moment.

The poor bastard who took the next oncall was not so lucky, because a developer had a question. Now, if you have a question about the services my team maintains, here, in approximate order of urgency, is what you should do:

• Check the documentation
  • Send mail to the mailing list
  • Send mail to the specific person responsible for the feature or service you're asking about
  • Ask in the internal chatroom

Here's what you should do only if your question is "important service X is on fire and the users are halfway through the door with the axe, what's my best escape route?":

• Page the oncall

Here's what this guy actually did:

• Figure out who's currently oncall, somehow find out their phone number, then call them repeatedly over the course of an hour, using Google Voice from your laptop with the microphone turned off so that they can't actually hear anything you say

I poo poo you not, this guy kept calling, and from a different timezone too so it was completely out of working hours. :psyduck: I feel sorry for the oncall, but I am so glad I dodged that bullet.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

TWBalls posted:

Would you mind if I ask you some questions on that program? We normally use Extra Personal Client for AS400 access, but corporate office wants us to migrate to this IBM terminal emulator instead. Problem is, all of our users are so used to just hitting the red X to close the program. That's no big deal in EPC, but for some reason, with this program it will close the program but their session continues running on the AS400. Then when they try to re-launch, it throws up an error that their session is already in use. Unfortunately, they didn't bother to give us any kind of training on this so it's been a massive pain in the rear end.

Also, we too use an SSO program that will be expecting to find those .ws files under program files so I'll definitely be interested in that.

Certainly; I'm rarely ever in it but we have two AS400 analysts that I can forward questions to if I can't answer. I think iSeries can vary off sessions if they red X, at least ours does. I'll ask one of the analysts about it. Sessions still get locked occasionally but varying them off wasn't hard; easy enough we pawned it off on our level 1 helpdesk. "wrkcfgsts *dev" lists display sessions, which you can then vary on/off as needed.

For the .ws files I just installed it outside of program files, then put a symbolic link in Program Files with the same name pointing at the install directory. Had a bit of an issue where the one analyst didn't quite grasp what a symlink was ("it's like a shortcut except only the OS really knows it's a shortcut") and tried putting the .ws files back in Program Files and broke it when launching from SSO.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Needy User posted:

Heya,

My home computer has packed it in and I'm wondering if there is a spare MacMini I could take home to use?

Let me know your thoughts.

I'm going to go with 'no' on that one.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
eDOCS DM 5.3.0 here. It was hilarious when some random Windows update (my guess) suddenly caused DM to save all Powerpoint files as Excel files.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
To this day I am utterly thankful that I got out of an eDocs environment. That poo poo was heinous.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TWBalls posted:

Same thing with Win7. They have too many apps open for the task bar to display all at once, so is scrolls. It should have up/down arrows to move between apps. I kept running into that problem, so I just set it to make the icons small. Here's some screenshots:

Before:

After I've opened more apps than can be displayed on the taskbar at once:

After hitting the up/down arrows:

My guess is that it automatically scrolls to the empty-ish taskbar and that person is freaking out that their apps have closed/crashed. They just need to hit the up/down arrows to go to see the rest of their open apps.

drat, there's no need for all those systray icons to be visible.

I've used my taskbar vertically for a very long time. With small icons and a bit of width to it, I can see the text for each running programme, and fit a lot on.

(No, I'm not doing very much at the moment). I put it on the right of the left screen, so my larger screen is always 100% free (at home, this is has the bonus of letting me see any notifications while running a full screen game).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
An email came in (technically on monday):

quote:

:supaburn:We need to scale our shopping site for Friday or our clients will abandon us:supaburn:
So we tell them we'll jump through hoops for them to get it done, at least they didn't wait till Wednesday like last year. But we'll do a feature/code freeze so we can set up auto scaling and just do a horizontal scale as much as possible (we already made a giant read replica for their DB replacing their normal size RR).

And then yesterday:

quote:

:supaburn:We need to change our shopping site for Friday or this one client will not publish with us.:supaburn:

:eng99:

Also, they sent that second email to the programming team, not the integration/deployment team. They even bypassed the PM and went directly to the programming team manager and told him it had been approved by the PM.

• Locked thread