Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
Hey Smeggins I've got a question you might be able to answer: How successful was the US response to the Philippine insurrection? What could they have done better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

As for my particular issue, the best one I can think of is his insistence that spears (edit: single-handed spears that is) were used exclusively underhand unless you were throwing them, based on his experiences as a reenactor. Someone in the comments section pointed out that plenty of red figure pottery (the stereotypical Greek vase) has overhand spear use. He made a reply video where he insisted the only possible reason such a use was included is because these artists were trying to sell pots, and overhand spear use looked more dramatic. He then cherry-picked some examples of what he considers to be 'more realistic' depictions where, of course, the spears are underhand. It was really blatant confirmation bias.

This is ignoring of course the resources of the Bayeux Tapestry (where basically ALL the English foot are using their spears overhand) and the Morgan Bible (where the one example of single-handed spear-use by infantry is overhand)

Don't underestimate people's willingness to bend reality for visual effect. Historically and today, I would very much hesitate to use art as a refutation without any other evidence (and I am an art student), especially when you're talking about stuff veering on abstract like red figure pottery.

Not that I disagree with what you're saying. Lindybeige seems to have a couple of central ideas (e.g. people are cowards) and cherry picks to hell in support of them in all his videos. He makes good points every now and then so I wouldn't completely discount him, but people's willingness to accept what he says as sacrosanct is loving annoying and seems to be a rising trend lately. Although that seems to be a rising trend with lots of easy access history sources (including these SA threads, to be honest).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
If anyone is using my posts on the Something Awful forums as a resource instead of (where they disagree) books by people with decades of experience, they probably should not do that!

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 26, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Lindybeige is chronically wrong, and he puts himself forward as an authority. Whether or not it's just his opinion he expects people to treat it as credible historical fact. As such he deserves to get ripped.

Over in the medieval history thread Hegel did an excellent job of demolishing his thoughts on pikes. He really embodies the bad aspects of reenactors, specifically the notion that what they do is perfect historical reconstruction. Therefore if something works for them it must have been how they did it in the past. Primary sources? Who needs em?! I've been there, maaaaan.

The schola gladiatoria guy seems fine though. Railtus, the medieval history OP, would have a stronger opinion since medieval & renaissance martial arts are his focus.
That's kind of the thing he's aiming for I think. He seems to be deliberately evoking the D&D "weapons expert" stereotype and trying to encourage people to pick apart his ideas, but I admit I'm possibly being charitable where I shouldn't. The pike video you mention is one of those points that I find difficult to believe he is raising seriously as opposed to Socratic method via youtube. Either way, he gets people thinking about the subject he raises and it's fun watching him getting annoyed about stuff in that british accent.

TL;DR: really I should stay out of this thread after bedtime when I'm inclined to think "good enough" and just leave a point.

That is just so :3:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I do quite like Lindybeige but I've always taken him with a pinch of salt. When it comes to reenactment stuff he's an enthusiastic amateur like myself and many of us here. The whole No Overhand stab! thing is really silly. Not only are people fighting for their lives quite pragmatic about what way they'd like to stab someone, but those Greek spears were counter weighted with a bronze butt spike making them even easier to use overhand. The pikes video as mentioned already is absurd as well. He also seems like a staunch Imperialist.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

The pike video you mention is one of those points that I find difficult to believe he is raising seriously as opposed to Socratic method via youtube.
No, there are people who believe this. Rodrigo Diaz, post The Bad Photograph.

Arquinsiel posted:

That is just so :3:
What are you talking about, he is a mighty warrior.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Koramei posted:

Don't underestimate people's willingness to bend reality for visual effect. Historically and today, I would very much hesitate to use art as a refutation without any other evidence (and I am an art student), especially when you're talking about stuff veering on abstract like red figure pottery.

A lot of the time I'd agree but for this kind of detail pictures are more-or-less what we have to go by. We know from Xenophon, for example, that cavalry used their spears over- and underhand, but that isn't up for debate (or it shouldn't be). Also it's the kind of thing that is fairly easy to see in pictorial evidence, and dealing with categorical denials like this are fairly easy to break down.

For another (pictorial) example of spear use with a more-than-incidental interest in realism in fighting, consider this image from a 15th c. fighting manual:

I wish I had it in a larger size but I'm using the internet.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

a travelling HEGEL posted:

If anyone is using my posts on the Something Awful forums as a resource instead of (where they disagree) books by people with decades of experience, they probably should not do that!

Books are always the best source yes. I love History books.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

The best books to read are Politically Incorrect Guides.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, not just any books. You have to make sure the sources are good, the reasoning is good, and the reviewers liked them. Lots of books look fine but it turns out they're actually crap.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well, not just any books. You have to make sure the sources are good, the reasoning is good, and the reviewers liked them. Lots of books look fine but it turns out they're actually crap.

Well yeah, obviously. Books suggested in this thread are always winners too.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

The best books to read are Politically Incorrect Guides.

I like to nerd out over old school strategy game manuals myself.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
^^^ I haven't been keeping a keen eye on everything in this thread, but I have seen some lovely books recommended by goons before, so it's good to always be discerning. I think they've usually been called out on it though.

How on earth do you find those pictures so quickly, Rodrigo Diaz? I'm hopeless at delving for examples. But yeah, I didn't say that to disagree with you on the underarm/overarm thing (not that I know enough about it to disagree), I just wanted to talk about the art- and it is something I want people to keep in mind, especially when it's essentially ancient pop art.

Rabhadh posted:

I do quite like Lindybeige but I've always taken him with a pinch of salt. When it comes to reenactment stuff he's an enthusiastic amateur like myself and many of us here. The whole No Overhand stab! thing is really silly. Not only are people fighting for their lives quite pragmatic about what way they'd like to stab someone, but those Greek spears were counter weighted with a bronze butt spike making them even easier to use overhand. The pikes video as mentioned already is absurd as well. He also seems like a staunch Imperialist.

I used to like him okay but then I tried watching some of his non-history videos. He just has incredibly lovely opinions on everything.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 26, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Bah. GURPS 3e sourcebooks are cleary the best historical texts you can get.

So what's the deal with Japanese castles? They look relatively indefensible to my Western eyes (relatively low stone escarpments under what appear to be wooden ceilings and paper walls). But presumably they worked else the daimyo wouldn't have kept building the drat things.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Not an expert but I think they were designed to basically overstretch and tire out an attacking force instead of protecting the defenders?

I expect it also depends on the castle type and era said castle was built too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I may have read this in a really sketchy source, but most of the time the feudal Japanese armies would just sally out and meet the enemy on the field. The castles were there more to just impress the peasants and be administrative centres/ palaces.

But then my only other knowledge of feudal Japanese castles comes from Ran and Throne of Blood which both involved them being besieged so

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Here's another picture of over-hand spear use:

Something to keep in mind about over-hand spear use compared to coutching is that it allows you to attack enemies around and behind you, instead of just in front (admittedly less effectively). This is important when you aren't using stirrups (as in the Irish cavalry pictured) or they haven't been invented yet.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So what's the deal with Japanese castles? They look relatively indefensible to my Western eyes (relatively low stone escarpments under what appear to be wooden ceilings and paper walls). But presumably they worked else the daimyo wouldn't have kept building the drat things.

Japan is a lot more seismically active than Europe and their castles reflect this.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Bah. GURPS 3e sourcebooks are cleary the best historical texts you can get.

I think you may just be looking at the preserved keep, and not the complex as a whole. Japanese castle construction was about clearing a big-rear end stretch of hillside, and then piling on fortifications until you got a castle within a castle, perhaps within another castle. Most of them haven't survived in their entirety to the modern day, and quite a few were decorative ones built between the Sengoku Jidai and the Meiji restoration.

Here's how Himeji castle was meant to look like.

The concept is kind of like a star fort, where you're just trying to make as many favourable angles for the defenders as possible. The irregular construction of defenses was meant for confusion. Also, those stone walls are steep as hell and real tall. You can't just leisurely climb them, like in Shogun 2.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 26, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
That looks like a nightmare to take.

What are you talking about, he is a mighty warrior.
I hope he's not reading this :ohdear:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

^^^^
That looks like a nightmare to take.
I hope he's not reading this :ohdear:

His weakness is being attacked at any upwards angle by a spear or pike. He'll never suspect it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

His weakness is being attacked at any upwards angle by a spear or pike. He'll never suspect it.
I thought his weakness was the Russian alphabet and going to bed on time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I thought his weakness was the Russian alphabet and going to bed on time.

Technically don't most of us not sleep that well and only a handful of us know the latter too?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just to be clear, we're worrying about Onfim, noted sage, scholar, chronicler of noted events and warrior without peer, reading the thread, not Lindybeige, Englishman who has opinions on the internet.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Just to be clear, we're worrying about Onfim, noted sage, scholar, chronicler of noted events and warrior without peer, reading the thread, not Lindybeige, Englishman who has opinions on the internet.

My bad. We're getting a bit off track now too in general. So yeah, Japanese Castle Complexes look pretty awesome.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

Of course. After all, one of these people has simplistic opinions based on a limited view of the world and a terrible education. His primitive "us-vs-them" mentality has no doubt been shaped by the barbaric practices of his homeland. The other one is a seven year old from medieval Russia.

Edit: And this actually is on topic--I really like regions with silty mud. All that birch bark writing from Novgorod has been preserved, or the Hunley. One of the people found in the Hunley had a comb in his pocket with a few strands of hair still in it.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 26, 2013

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You all are forgetting that he's actually a wild beast, thank you very much <:mad:>

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Citing the Somethingawful forums in homework might not be a good idea.1

1. a travelling HEGEL, comment in "Ask Us About Military History: Here Be Dragoons," comment posted on November 26, 2013, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3585027&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post422399480 (accessed November 26, 2013).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 26, 2013

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Is Onfim the youngest known early historical author, as in the youngest person to have produced attributable (signed or otherwise) historical written documents?

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll
Other than The Art of War and On War by Clausewitz, are there any must read, for lack of a better term, comprehensive martial philosophy or strategy books? Because I don't have enough 1000 page history books on loan from my library as it is. :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm not a fan of The Art of War, personally. It's about half mysticism and bullshit. Clausewitz is not light reading, just a warning. If that's the kind of thing you're after, Jomini is worth a look. Alfred Thayer Mahan is one of the few comprehensive naval writers I'm aware of. Vegetius was a good read, albeit short.

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll

Godholio posted:

I'm not a fan of The Art of War, personally. It's about half mysticism and bullshit. Clausewitz is not light reading, just a warning. If that's the kind of thing you're after, Jomini is worth a look. Alfred Thayer Mahan is one of the few comprehensive naval writers I'm aware of. Vegetius was a good read, albeit short.
Yeah, the Art of War was full of nice phrases and general rules of thumb, but I don't think it taught me that much about applied military thinking. On War was definitely not light reading but it was absolutely fascinating and very detailed. I think I'll check out Mahan; I don't know much about the thought behind naval strategy and tactics.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Godholio posted:

Bwuh? I don't recall any mysticism from my version; the only part that might not be useful in the modern day is the part about the use of fire arrows but even that could be refluffed to incendiaries in general.

quote:

Yeah, the Art of War was full of nice phrases and general rules of thumb, but I don't think it taught me that much about applied military thinking.

It kind of sounds like people have weird expectations as to what the AOW is actually supposed to teach; the general rules of thumb serve as a foundation in which to base applied military thought on top of.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 26, 2013

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Regarding military classics in the same theme of Godholio's example - what's the concensus on Musashi's Five Rings / The Dokkodo? Are any of the Japanese treatises produced during the Sengoku Jidai and later periods considered "must read" material for scholars of the region?

Don't mean to hijack the conversation, but in my undergrad studies, I was helping a professor do some research into warfare conducted by the ancient civilizations in India (forgot the names, just remember that they were along a southern river plateau). One of the things I noticed that a lot of non-European civilations did was fight their naval battles as though they were land conflicts. I'm not talking Greece/Rome's "Board em and get stabbing", I mean "hey lets build floating castle/tower and have at it." The examples I picked up on were in India, China, Korea, and Japan.

So my question is this: why would cultures that otherwise showed great capability and innovation in maritime design and function (China, India, etc.) chose to forgo all of those advantages and engage in relatively static combat? Was it more of a topographical constraint or something more to do with the strategic know-how of the individual generals of the time?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Raenir Salazar posted:

Bwuh? I don't recall any mysticism from my version; the only part that might not be useful in the modern day is the part about the use of fire arrows but even that could be refluffed to incendiaries in general.

It kind of sounds like people have weird expectations as to what the AOW is actually supposed to teach; the general rules of thumb serve as a foundation in which to base applied military thought on top of.

Mysticism probably isn't the right word, but the gist of it is "here are a series of catchy sound bites rules, and whichever general memorizes them best will win! Unless he doesn't, in which case he obviously misread the Tao and thus was doomed from the start.

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll

Raenir Salazar posted:

I understand the importance of the book as a foundation and I found it interesting in that sense; I'm just saying that at this point, in this society, it didn't tell me anything I haven't already heard (because everyone and their uncle quotes the Art of War).

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Along with A.T. Mahan, Corbett writes a book about naval strategy as well - He writes this around the turn of the century in England, and can sorta be seen as a maritime version of Clausewitz's On War

http://www.amazon.com/Some-Principles-Of-Maritime-Strategy/dp/1843426226

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is Mahan worth the read simply because of the history behind it, or (also) because he was correct? I guess his writings bore out as far as Tsushima and WWI, but I keep getting it in my head that the Japanese were a little misguided for having bought into him so hard (although I suppose that's hardly Mahan or his writings' fault)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

Other than The Art of War and On War by Clausewitz, are there any must read, for lack of a better term, comprehensive martial philosophy or strategy books? Because I don't have enough 1000 page history books on loan from my library as it is. :v:

Just be sure you are familiar with the Hegel-style dialectical approach before you read Clausewitz. You always run into people misquoting Clausewitz who just don't seem to get the way he writes and thinks in that book.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Speaking of which, has anyone in this thread read this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Balkans-Nationalism-Powers-1804-1999/dp/0140233776

Is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is Mahan worth the read simply because of the history behind it, or (also) because he was correct? I guess his writings bore out as far as Tsushima and WWI, but I keep getting it in my head that the Japanese were a little misguided for having bought into him so hard (although I suppose that's hardly Mahan or his writings' fault)

Mahan is importance cause the naval buildup leading up to WW1 was largely cause every country followed his doctrine.

Its funny that Japan placed so much emphasis on the Mahanian style'd decisive battle, when they probably could have done a lot better if they read Corbett instead.

From wiki-

Corbett's value for today's military professional lies in four of his concepts:
1) Controlling lines of communications, focus on the enemy, and manoeuvre for tactical advantage;
2) The aspects of political, economic and financial dimensions of waging war as well as with the technological and material aspects of war;
3) The primacy of politics in war and in devising an appropriate strategy to protect the national interests and
4) The emphasis on efficiency in battle while preserving costly assets.

Japan definitely hosed up on #2, and to a lesser extent, 3 and 4.

• Locked thread