Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Pfft, just use one of the two online entropy generators that use SSL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
We have to show a company we are contracting for a working demo of their product in two weeks. They are giving us beta boards 2 days before their dog and pony show; completely untested of course. :suicide:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

http://kylerichter.com/our-responsibility-as-developers/

NO TIME TO HIDE USER DATA, WE GOTTA GET OUR QUIZ GAME OUT STAT.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Woodsy Owl posted:

His XOR implementation is hilarious.

edit: He also does a really great job of commenting...

I love how he uses the Lorentz machine as an example of a successful XOR cipher despite the fact that a human being cracked/reverse engineered it in 3 months on his own (during the war).

Here's guessing a computer can easily break your XOR cipher, buddy.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Tesseraction posted:

I love how he uses the Lorentz machine as an example of a successful XOR cipher despite the fact that a human being cracked/reverse engineered it in 3 months on his own (during the war).

Where's the love for this:

code:
int tointeger(int inp)
But yeah, this is starting to feel more like a pro-troll where a TA makes up a terrible backstory for the terrible code he gets stuck grading.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Job Horrors:
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/9887522?trk=job_nov&_mSplash=1

"We host 3 trade-shows a year, sell tons of merchandise, publish games and other webcomics, license art and ad space to AAA publishers", "Not money oriented."

Kallikrates fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 26, 2013

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Tesseraction posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptanalysis_of_the_Lorenz_cipher

One message was sent twice, with the same key, with slightly different text. From these two cipher texts, one person mostly reverse engineered the machines operation, as well as cracking the cipher. :monocle:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Kallikrates posted:

Job Horrors:

"We host 3 trade-shows a year, sell tons of merchandise, publish games and other webcomics, license art and ad space to AAA publishers", "Not money oriented."

One of those dudes (the bigger rear end in a top hat) apparently has an actual yacht.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Kallikrates posted:

Job Horrors:

I looked at this and immediately LOLed. It's a great opportunity if you're in to that kinda thing (I know a guy who loves PA and could do all that in his sleep), but explicitly saying "and don’t mind having a really bad sense of work-life balance", that they're not " terribly money-motivated group" and that you'll be the IT guy...I can't imagine not burning out in less than 6 months.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ManoliIsFat posted:

I looked at this and immediately LOLed. It's a great opportunity if you're in to that kinda thing (I know a guy who loves PA and could do all that in his sleep), but explicitly saying "and don’t mind having a really bad sense of work-life balance", that they're not " terribly money-motivated group" and that you'll be the IT guy...I can't imagine not burning out in less than 6 months.

Here's what I took away from their job ad:
  • They expect you to do 4 jobs
  • ...for long hours
  • ...for low pay
  • ...but they have free Fresca in the vending machines!

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
But see you would be working for the famous internet website Penny Arcade so it's worth it!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ithaqua posted:

• ...for long hours
  • ...for low pay

Man that describes my job but our soda machines don't even have Fresca :smith:

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Yes let's mock the horrible job posting for being up-front about the downsides of working there.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

shrughes posted:

Yes let's mock the horrible job posting for being up-front about the downsides of working there.

As opposed to praising it for being a piece of poo poo?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hard NOP Life posted:

As opposed to praising it for being a piece of poo poo?

I'll take a job posting that is honest about exactly how the job sucks over a job posting that just lies to you completely until you start the job and realize you're hosed.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'll take a job posting that is honest about exactly how the job sucks over a job posting that just lies to you completely until you start the job and realize you're hosed.

We can still laugh at how lovely the job is.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm pretty sure working with PA would have downsides not included in "bad pay/terrible hours"

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

JawnV6 posted:

I'm pretty sure working with PA would have downsides not included in "bad pay/terrible hours"

for example, "having to work with/for a couple of complete shitheels"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Dessert Rose posted:

for example, "having to work with/for a couple of complete shitheels"

Exactly. The post didn't begin to take an "honest" look at how it would suck.

And I was giving them the benefit of the doubt earlier, but here's an article that goes into far more depth on just how lovely this is.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Reminder that the heads of Penny Arcade blamed rape survivors for inconveniencing the website/fandom. But that's a different discussion...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

fritz posted:

One of those dudes (the bigger rear end in a top hat) apparently has an actual yacht.

Do you have a source for this? Google finds nothing.

Ithaqua posted:

• ...for long hours
  • ...for low pay

The funniest part of this is that of course they will easily fill the position.

People will line up to be exploited by their heroes.

God bless.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Just read this and tell me you would want to work for that company:
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/09/penny-arcade-expo-dickwolves/

Edit: Also relevant: https://twitter.com/emmastory/status/405347326685769729

Probably why they are paying so low.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Strong Sauce posted:

Just read this and tell me you would want to work for that company:
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/09/penny-arcade-expo-dickwolves/

Edit: Also relevant: https://twitter.com/emmastory/status/405347326685769729

Probably why they are paying so low.

I'm praying that this thread doesn't go off on a dickwolf tangent. Please, no. Please.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Ithaqua posted:

I'm praying that this thread doesn't get raped to death by dickwolves

What would you prefer, that the thread returns to the normal carousel of PHP, VB6 and incompetent crypto implementations that it's been kicking around for five and a half years?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Surprisingly not a corollary to making GBS threads dick nipples.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

What would you prefer, that the thread returns to the normal carousel of PHP, VB6 and incompetent crypto implementations that it's been kicking around for five and a half years?

Extremely.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Very much, yes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Over a week long derail about well known entertainers who also happen to be shitheels, yes.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
code:
#print MENU 
print "MENU"
#print a space using " "
print "                    "
in their defence it is an intro to programming class

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

To be fair, if the job turns out to be complete poo poo, you know what questions to ask in your next interview to avoid such bullshit.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Why are people upset about this job posting? They are asking for the moon. So what?

That job is probably worth interviewing for for people who have some/most of the skills and are interested in the work. If some of the stipulations seem unfair a candidate should negotiate to either get paid more, agree to take on less responsibility, or both. Interviews work both ways and if they don't want a candidate because they can't afford them then it's their loss. If a candidate is exceptional, which is what they are looking for, they should be prepared to negotiate because that candidate will likely expect to come in and set their own terms.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Dren posted:

Why are people upset about this job posting? They are asking for the moon. So what?

That job is probably worth interviewing for for people who have some/most of the skills and are interested in the work. If some of the stipulations seem unfair a candidate should negotiate to either get paid more, agree to take on less responsibility, or both. Interviews work both ways and if they don't want a candidate because they can't afford them then it's their loss. If a candidate is exceptional, which is what they are looking for, they should be prepared to negotiate because that candidate will likely expect to come in and set their own terms.

It's not your run of the mill business clueless about what it takes to pay a creative professional. They've released multiple video games, presumably with a paid coder or two on the team. It's a multimillion dollar business that puts on multiple loving trade shows a year, they're really not hurting for cash.

They're not going to 'bet' on some promising kid like you're hypothesizing. They're going to take a vetted professional who happens to be a starry eyed fan and exploit them for a few years. It's sickening because they'll find someone eager to do it.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

To be fair, if the job turns out to be complete poo poo, you know what questions to ask in your next interview to avoid such bullshit.
"Are you actually running a multimillion dollar business but pretending to be on a shoestring budget? Are you trying to pay me 20% under market for a quarter of my responsibilities because you're popular and I'm a fan?"

Don't seem to generalize too well. I dunno, I haven't searched a lot of jobs. Maybe these questions apply more broadly than I'd expect.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
I just think it's a bit flagrant to post an absurd job with poo poo benefits and probably poo poo pay, knowing that because you're a pretty large organization that can afford to give people the appropriate compensation. They also know that because of the community, they'll get a bunch of suckers who apply and will work out their rear end just because this is PA, and not complain about it.

Not to mention that, while being lied to is lovely, being told up front that your job is going to be poo poo can be worse because you have no recourse. It's like 'hey, you knew what you signed up for.'

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
code:
for (var l = 0; l <= steps; l++) {
            if (l != 0) {
                if (window.startingAge != 15 && window.startingAge < 15 && (l == 1 || l == 2 || l == 3 || l == 4) && notHit15) {
                    if (window.startingAge != 12 && window.startingAge <= 12 && (l == 1 || l == 2 || l == 3) && notHit12) {
                        if (window.startingAge != 10 && window.startingAge <= 10 && (l == 1 || l == 2) && notHit10) {
                            if (window.startingAge != 8 && window.startingAge <= 8 && l == 1 && notHit8) {
                                sliderNum = 8;
                                notHit8 = false;
                            } else {
                                sliderNum = 10;
                                notHit10 = false;
                            }
                        } else {
                            sliderNum = 12;
                            notHit12 = false;
                        }
                    } else {
                        sliderNum = 15;
                        notHit15 = false;
                    }

}
                else if (sliderNum % 10 != 0) {
                    sliderNum = Math.round(Math.ceil(sliderNum / 10) * 10);
                } else {
                    sliderNum += 10;
                }
            }
            var ageOffset = offsetCalculator(steps, l, window.left, window.right);
            completeAction(sliderNum, 2, sliderNum, ageOffset);
        }
:suicide:

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Maybe they'll actually pay a reasonable amount but they want to whittle down the amount of applicants they have to choose from.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Post from the guy leaving the PA position: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/185114/about-the-penny-arcade-job-posting

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

quote:

If you want to work 80 or more hours at something you truly enjoy, in fact you don’t want to stop working ever because you love it so much, shouldn’t that be okay too? Shouldn’t we be so lucky as to have a job that we are so invested in?

I'm going to go ask my boss to double my salary for no extra work because, really, we should all be so lucky as to have an employee that we're so invested in.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
God reading the comments there just makes me mad. A ton of ad hominem and the usual 'working more than 40 hours = dedication' poo poo. Look, if you want to do your company the favor of working more hours than you really have to, that's fine. But your company should then do you the favor of paying you how much that is worth to them.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like here in the US, people have the weird notion that working absurd hours is a sign of dedication, but that getting paid for those hours is somehow a sign of greed.

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

quote:

So four hats, right? Why not four tech staff? The reality is that one highly motivated, highly skilled person can handle all of this.
, and they'll do it for less than they're worth because *makes arcane hand gestures, looks away*!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

It's not your run of the mill business clueless about what it takes to pay a creative professional. They've released multiple video games, presumably with a paid coder or two on the team. It's a multimillion dollar business that puts on multiple loving trade shows a year, they're really not hurting for cash.

They're not going to 'bet' on some promising kid like you're hypothesizing. They're going to take a vetted professional who happens to be a starry eyed fan and exploit them for a few years. It's sickening because they'll find someone eager to do it.

"Are you actually running a multimillion dollar business but pretending to be on a shoestring budget? Are you trying to pay me 20% under market for a quarter of my responsibilities because you're popular and I'm a fan?"

I'm not hypothesizing that they'll take a gamble on some kid. I'm hypothesizing that they will end up taking a vetted professional who will negotiate for a deal he or she believes is reasonable. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this scenario.

Also, nowhere do they say 20% under market. In fact, they say salary is negotiable. There is full medical, dental and vision. There is 401k at 2% of annual salary which isn't far off from a lot of matching benefits (and doesn't require the employee to contribute). There are periodic bonuses (sounds like typical x-mas bonuses) as well as vacation/holiday. They will pay to relocate you if need be. All of this sounds fairly standard.

Furthermore, if they can get a candidate at below market due to their enormous fanbase, good for them. That's smart business. They don't owe anyone anything just because they make a profit. The reason they are profitable is that they make smart business decisions. I bet this position ends up being in the neighborhood of $120k and I would have no problem walking in the door and asking for $150k to start if I were applying.