Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
It's like having your cake and having sex with it too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Gaseous Snake posted:

It's like having your cake and having sex with it too!

Except that the cake is covered with Moogle plushes all over it.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Gaseous Snake posted:

There's a demo out for Gaga Returns: Final Fantasy XIII on the Japanese PSN if anyone's interested.

I hope you have to "save" the moogles to unlock it :black101:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Veks posted:

I hope you have to "save" the moogles to unlock it :black101:

"Claire de Vil, Clarie de Vil-" :v:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a plot reason why Lightning wears all these stupid costumes? Does the game at least reveal that she has a combination of no shame and a great sense of self-loathing that allows her to wear a bunch of Moogles glued onto her body?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Only this thread could look at a picture of a malnourished lady covered in moogles and immediately start harping on the devs for being sex perverts.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The article I got the mooglesuit from also has two more costume pictures.

and

These two look kinda neat at least.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/26/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-demo-wacky-moogle-costume-now/

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tempo 119 posted:

Only this thread could look at a picture of a malnourished lady covered in moogles and immediately start harping on the devs for being sex perverts.

True, mostly because only this thread has been sad enough to pay attention to what the devs have been saying.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

True, mostly because only this thread has been sad enough to pay attention to what the devs have been saying.

I think it's more what Toriyama has been saying than the actual devs.

Gaseous Snake posted:

and

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/26/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-demo-wacky-moogle-costume-now/

Second one looks alright, I dunno what's going on with the first one but it's not like terrible or anything.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I think it's more what Toriyama has been saying than the actual devs.

Second one looks alright, I dunno what's going on with the first one but it's not like terrible or anything.

It's like she's the Norse Terminator or something

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Is that first costume supposed to be some sort of goof rear end Tecno Odin?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Honestly, the moogle-suit is so ridiculously stupid that I can't help but like it a little, in the same kind of way that I'd "like" a suit covered in tonberries.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So I just tried out the demo and it feels like the FF Hack 'N Slash game I've been waiting for, just so much good feels in the combat and how slick everything flows together. I'll put up a video with my very middling commentary in a while.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 26, 2013

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I just hate that she's still super-serious scowly Lightning in all these silly suits. It doesn't mesh at all, and is really quite bad.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's not the suit can't work, it's just that it requires a level of self-awareness I don't think anyone who worked on this actually possessed.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So I just tried out the demo and it feels like the FF Hack 'N Slash game I've been waiting for, just so much good feels in the combat and how slick everything flows together. I'll put up a video with my very middling commentary in a while.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays - I haven't actually seen any of the combat outside of some of the early trailers.

Wendell posted:

I just hate that she's still super-serious scowly Lightning in all these silly suits. It doesn't mesh at all, and is really quite bad.

That's the best bit; that's what makes it hilarious to me.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Going from impressions, the battle system and the soundtrack are by far the highlights of the game. Though I heard from the guy who did the Piggyback strategy guide for XIII-2 and he said he likes this one the most out of the trilogy, as far as actual game content goes.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've been listening to the soundtrack and it's good. I just miss Caius's theme too much from XIII-2. It's me, I'm the reason they don't stop having latin in songs.

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

Gaseous Snake posted:

and

I can't stop looking at that drat neck, especially the second one, it's like the same height as her head.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Thanks Square-Enix for releasing most of the decent costumes as DLC.

It's a conspiracy, I tell you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Eggie posted:

Thanks Square-Enix for releasing most of the decent costumes as DLC.

It's a conspiracy, I tell you.

They know.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think the worst one is the Aeris costume being only available if you bought the guide. That's just nasty.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just remember that while you may have to pay for some of the better costumes, you can get the mustache for free. And really, isn't that the only thing that truly matters?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

chumbler posted:

Just remember that while you may have to pay for some of the better costumes, you can get the mustache for free. And really, isn't that the only thing that truly matters?

Wait, can you use the mustache along with the buttler outfit? If so, I take everything back, SE.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can you use the mustache with shades? No one ever answered that question despite it being the most important one.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
From what I've seen, I actually like the dress up system quite a bit mechanically. Each outfit has ATB traits (seems to be in battle starting ATB and bonuses to max ATB) and some skills attached to it, with some offering specialization in magic or other thing. The 13 and 13-2 outfits are plain slates, for example. Nothing locked or special, but probably nice for customization.

Then the equipment, the sword and shield, also have stats and can have skills locked on them. Aerith's flower bouquet shield for example has some upgraded Mediguard attached. Cloud's outfit provides a heavy attack that upgrades itself during the Stagger equivalent in this game. Seems really useful in the early game. (I'm guessing DLC outfits get some close to endgame skills Sso you can use them for most of the game?

Mixing equipment and outfits is also possible, so you can have Cloud with the Flower Bouquet and the Moogle Staff. Then you can set and upgrade the attacks you put on each outfit.

Summary: I'll be spending lots of time in menus in this game.

Fake edit: Looking for a picture of the equipment screen, but I'm pretty sure its one fashion accessory per outfit - so glasses or moustache. Although you can switch between them in battle.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps there's a mustache/glasses combo item.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think hats and mustaches/glasses are separate slots, so we may not be completely out of luck.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Gaseous Snake posted:

I've been listening to the soundtrack and it's good. I just miss Caius's theme too much from XIII-2. It's me, I'm the reason they don't stop having latin in songs.

"Ouroboros Fiesta" is fantastic.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Having trouble linking to a picture from my phone, but it looks like there's two slots for accessories attributed to stats, abilities, ect. and one for just visual items. No idea if all three are visible.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Gaseous Snake posted:

I think the worst one is the Aeris costume being only available if you bought the guide. That's just nasty.

Aw, I didn't know this. :(

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

I think hats and mustaches/glasses are separate slots, so we may not be completely out of luck.

Yesssss.

Also my video is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAoEk6hHTqQ

Also, I realized I was completely wrong about the guard. No matter when you use it it just reduces damage. The negation of damage only happened during the boss when I was in the Chaps Lightning mode.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 26, 2013

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Winks posted:

Aw, I didn't know this. :(

There's a chance we in the not-Japan will be able to get it without the guide but I'm not crossing my fingers.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Gaseous Snake posted:

There's a chance we in the not-Japan will be able to get it without the guide but I'm not crossing my fingers.

All that means is it'll be DLC or a location specific pre-order instead.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I can definitely see this battle system being really fun for more advanced fights. Also the mage outfit is supercool.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That's pretty loving cool.
It's a nice extension of X-2's dresssphere concept AND the recharging moves from Birth By Sleep.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What would be the best FF game for me to play on-the-go? I travel a ton and need one that I can pick up and play for a bit then put down. I'm thinking one of the GBA ones but open to all suggestions.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xandoom posted:

What would be the best FF game for me to play on-the-go? I travel a ton and need one that I can pick up and play for a bit then put down. I'm thinking one of the GBA ones but open to all suggestions.

What are you using to play them?

FFX is the absolute worst for portable playing but the re release should fix that issue.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Xandoom posted:

FFI GBA is pretty good for that. I'm currently playing through FF:Dimensions on the train to work, and that's not bad for it either. Pretty much all the GBA games are perfect as ones that you play for a while, then can put down again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Barudak posted:

What are you using to play them?

FFX is the absolute worst for portable playing but the re release should fix that issue.

I am using a GBA emulator. I might just grab the first one and then play through them consecutively on the GBA. Hmm...or maybe I will go with the classic VI. Decisions, decisions.