Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I ordered a 16gb Nexus 5 on November 12th. The card it was ordered on was lost and cancelled. I ordered another one on the 18th when I got my new card because it wouldn't let me change anything on Google Play. I phoned in to make sure the Nov 12th order was cancelled and they told me that both had been cancelled. I raised a fuss and they said to order a new one and they'd give me a credit for the trouble. So I ordered the 32gb.

Now I have emails saying ALL THREE have shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
welp time to order a new phone, as i just broke my current one in the most unusual way possible.

It apparently dropped (moto razr) screen side down from 3 feet onto something hard, which cracked the digitizer but left the screen intact. I can see a few cracks UNDER the screen, but it feels smooth to the touch from the outside.

Maxx is 99$ at amazon vs $50 for the x. I love my wife's G2 battery life (listed @ 1092 min) vs the maxx DOUBLE, and only 760 some for the x.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

LastInLine posted:

That's why there's no way to force LTE only. It has to idle on 3G/HSPA to receive calls.
I suppose this is something a baseband update can enable?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Eh, if you use Google Voice for texts you could still get those. v:shobon:v

Cross-posting from the Pre-paid thread so it gets more notice:

I decided to get AT&T GoPhone, because StraightTalk completely stopped working for me entirely yesterday. Maybe they got pissy because I canceled my recurring charge or something, and knew I was bailing so hosed me over preemptively. So I needed something right away so I could, you know...have a usable phone.

Only...it's slow as death. Slower than my ST connection was (well...when it decided to connect properly and not be a whiny bitch,) despite using the SAEM towers and service (I had ST on AT&T network.)

Anyone else have a speed problem with GoPhone? I'm getting less than 2 Mbps download, and like 0.3 Mbps upload. I've tried it in three places:

1) When I first activated the service in the downtown area, which should be the fastest and, in theory, if there's LTE I wold expect it there. The AT&T guy said they activated a couple LTE towers in town recently. Nope.
2) My home, which is maybe a half mile from the downtown area.
3) Work, which is a few miles from the big downtown hub, but still in a well populated "commercial" area that I got 5-8 Mbps on ST.

Oh, and sometimes it just loses all service intermittently. Just now, I looked at my phone and it had no bars with a little "x" near them for a minute or so.

Before I go back to the AT&T store (for all the good that'll do, since they will probably just pull the "well, the advertised speed is the maximum, no guarantee!" bullshit) I was just wondering if maybe there's some better APN setting I could use. I was skeptical of the one the guy in the store gave me, since it only had, like, three things for me to input...a lot of blanks in the APN settings fields.

You could try getting a new ST SIM and starting a new account altogether. Or get AIO

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I would recommend getting a major carrier rather than being treated as second-class on some prepaid garbage service.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Upgraded my converted GPE HTC One to 4.4 today. One thing that I don't think anyone mentioned was that Toast notifications have a new look. Still not a great UI choice, but it's better. Most apps are working fine with ART (Falcon Pro's settings take about ~5 seconds to load, and tweets are bolded if you don't have "Use device font" selected). Multitasking is the fastest it's ever been, and there's next to no scroll lag in apps that use webview. And with the new GPE launcher thing installed I even get a transparent notification bar!

Very happy with the update.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I have been using my new nexus 5 on wifi only while I wait for my free T-mobile sim to arrive. So far the phone is awesome, using the ART vm its so snappy I dont know what to do. I only hope the cell service is equal to the phone's great performance.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SB35 posted:

You could try getting a new ST SIM and starting a new account altogether. Or get AIO

Well I've already paid $60 for a month's worth of service, so unless it becomes entirely unusable, I'm going to at least keep it for this month.

But if it doesn't get better, I'll probably get AIO...it doesn't make sense that an MVNO would get better speeds then the pre-paid account from the company that actually owns and manages the cell network, but that was the case on ST so it wouldn't surprise me if AIO was the same way.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

I would recommend getting a major carrier rather than being treated as second-class on some prepaid garbage service.

Especially because it will only get worse when AT&T completes their planned acquisition of Cricket's parent company and merges Aio (with its customers) into Cricket like they intend to do. If you don't already feel like you're getting treated like a dealer with a burner phone, you definitely will later.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
well Amazon wont get a phone to me until after thanksgiving, and vzw still wants $texas for phones.. so i guess i have to wait on a new phone anyway.

This was the worst time to break it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Motorola has jumped street date on their own phone.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/26/motorola-now-selling-unlocked-moto-g-in-the-us/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedly

Moto G unlocked is now available for purchase in the US.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
I just RMAed my Nexus 5 because of a camera problem. The camera was showing a dark spot in all images, but the lens was clean and free of anything that might cause that. Anyone else have this issue?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Hey guys

I have a Moto X and my Apple earpods kinda work but the volume control doesnt. How can I fix that?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Hey guys

I have a Moto X and my Apple earpods kinda work but the volume control doesnt. How can I fix that?

What do you mean by "kinda work"?

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Kafka Esq. posted:

I ordered a 16gb Nexus 5 on November 12th. The card it was ordered on was lost and cancelled. I ordered another one on the 18th when I got my new card because it wouldn't let me change anything on Google Play. I phoned in to make sure the Nov 12th order was cancelled and they told me that both had been cancelled. I raised a fuss and they said to order a new one and they'd give me a credit for the trouble. So I ordered the 32gb.

Now I have emails saying ALL THREE have shipped.

I will take one of your free phones off of your hands :P

Hope it all works out this kind of thing can turn into a real pain in the jockal-area.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

nimper posted:

What do you mean by "kinda work"?

I'd like the volume buttons to work if possible.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Probably not likely. Apple uses a different headphone jack layout than everyone else, so you're sending a signal to the phone but it's received on the wrong pin of the jack on your new phone.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
So I got my N5 in last night. Holy hell it's so nice having a phone that can switch apps without reloading them entirely (looking at you, iphone 4s).

My power button seems to rattle if I shake the phone like a screaming baby, but I don't know if I should really concern myself with it. Phone's in a decent/cheap TPU case (this one, if you're curious) already, so :shrug:?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tedronai66 posted:

My power button seems to rattle if I shake the phone like a screaming baby, but I don't know if I should really concern myself with it.
Is it definitely the power button? The N4 and N5 both give off a small rattle if shaken which is the image stabiliser on the camera and not something that you should be concerned about.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Tunga posted:

Is it definitely the power button? The N4 and N5 both give off a small rattle if shaken which is the image stabiliser on the camera and not something that you should be concerned about.

Maybe it's that. I honestly didn't investigate. And I do have to shake it more than just walking would do to even hear it.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
There's a few videos out there about the power button rattle, it's a really minor first world problem.

I ordered a Spigen case and really don't like it. Ordered the Neo Hybrid and the phone just feels huge now. I planned to return it so I ordered the Slim case instead and the power button was constantly being triggered, plus it turned out to be the same size as the Neo Hybrid.

I'm probably going to return the Slim Case, but if anyone wants to buy it off me at discount (It's the white one) send me a PM.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Tedronai66 posted:

Maybe it's that. I honestly didn't investigate. And I do have to shake it more than just walking would do to even hear it.

I seem to remember reading in a review that some of the buttons are a little loose back and forth. I doubt it's something to be concerned about.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The buttons from my Samsung headset don't work either. I'm investigating a good pair that will work.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I suppose this is something a baseband update can enable?
VoLTE will almost certainly require a new phone. There are three standards for it but I don't know how much of that depends on the handset for compatibility.

I'm any case I'm reasonably sure there's only one network in Korea with it at the moment and Verizon should have it by the end of 2014 but that's it for anything approaching the near term.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Motorola has jumped street date on their own phone.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/26/motorola-now-selling-unlocked-moto-g-in-the-us/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedly

Moto G unlocked is now available for purchase in the US.

whoop will be my first Android phone

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am looking for both a travel battery pack for plane trips and a USB wall wart that has a UK plug, preferably with 2 usb outputs. They will be charging a n7 2013 and a n4. What should I get?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

lags posted:

I will take one of your free phones off of your hands :P

Hope it all works out this kind of thing can turn into a real pain in the jockal-area.
They have completely lied to me at least four times. They do not give a gently caress at all.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I don't know if this happens for anyone else, but when using data out of town my apps registered a lot more background activity, so I decided to restrict background content. I was getting something like 20 MB used after just accessing a few sites on one day.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

kri kri posted:

I am looking for both a travel battery pack for plane trips and a USB wall wart that has a UK plug, preferably with 2 usb outputs. They will be charging a n7 2013 and a n4. What should I get?

I bought the Satechi 10000 mAh powerbank and it's excellent. Solid build and not too big/heavy. I actually keep it in my purse and carry it around with me every day. Unfortunately it seems to be out of stock on Amazon, but here's a smaller version of it (5200 mAh).

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 26, 2013

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Can someone recommend a cheapish bluetooth receiver to plug an fm transmitter into? There's a ton of cheap ones direct from china on amazon but I'd rather get one that I know won't catch on fire or something.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Looks like the wood-backed Moto X should be popping up in the next couple weeks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Engadget review of the Moto G.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/26/moto-g-review/

It utterly destroys the "budget" category of phones.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Human Cow posted:

Looks like the wood-backed Moto X should be popping up in the next couple weeks.

Those backs will be available on eBay right?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

FogHelmut posted:

Those backs will be available on eBay right?

But I want a turtle shell, made out of real turtles.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

But I want a turtle shell, made out of real turtles.

There are guys who will make that for you as long as you provide the turtle shell.

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
Got my 32gig LG Nexus just now I have no idea what to do is there somewhere in this thread that is like day 1 stuff for new android/smart phone people?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would just go on Youtube and find what's new in 4.4 Kitkat. Most of the things I do was self explanatory. Youtube, Maps, Netflix, Chrome, and everything else works the same as on the iPhone. If you already have a Gmail account it's pretty easy to set up.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just use it. If it was designed good enough you don't need prior knowledge of how it works.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Anand and Brian of AnandTech wrote an article about some of our favorite things to argue about. I think it would be nice if the OP linked to it.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7543/a-post-about-removable-storage-removable-batteries-and-smartphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

LastInLine posted:

VoLTE will almost certainly require a new phone. There are three standards for it but I don't know how much of that depends on the handset for compatibility.
Eh, weird. Radios are software-defined these days. I guess manufacturers won't bother updating it, just to sell more phones. To people that care about VoLTE, anyway.

I guess the idea behind wanting it is to reduce power usage, if the radio doesn't need to maintain a 3G connection.

• Locked thread