Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Breaking Bad season 5.1 is $11.99 as well. I was going to wait for a "season 5 parts 1 and 2" box set but at that price I don't think I can resist.

Also just discovered by accident that they're finally going to release the Indiana Jones movies individually on December 17. I'm a snob about these movies, I'd sooner buy Terminator 3 than Temple of Doom or Crystal Skull. Here's a link for anyone else wanting to put Raiders on their wish list. http://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-Raiders-Lost-Blu-ray/dp/B00FZIJ18Y/ref=tmm_blu_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1385409393&sr=8-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Breaking Bad season 5.1 is $11.99 as well. I was going to wait for a "season 5 parts 1 and 2" box set but at that price I don't think I can resist.

There won't be a box set of season 5 parts 1 and 2. That would be the complete series box set that comes out tomorrow. If you're not getting that then you might as well grab 5.2 tomorrow or wait for 5.2 to drop in price.

It's a weird case because AMC doubled down on the parts 1 and 2 label, but other than that have been treating it as 2 separate seasons.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

There won't be a box set of season 5 parts 1 and 2. That would be the complete series box set that comes out tomorrow. If you're not getting that then you might as well grab 5.2 tomorrow or wait for 5.2 to drop in price.

It's a weird case because AMC doubled down on the parts 1 and 2 label, but other than that have been treating it as 2 separate seasons.

Actually the sets are labeled as if they were two different seasons, they just never say "Season 6." It's "Season 5" and "The Final Season" on the packaging for them.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
So I just watched Die Hard 2 on Blu Ray on a 50" 1080p 120Hz television. Here is my trip report:

:pcgaming:

I also come to you asking what to watch next. I went nuts and bought about 100 blurays so which do I watch next? The list is as such:

Literally every Bond film (Except Skyfall apparently gently caress)
Band of Brothers
Deadwood
All the Alien movies
All the Terminator movies
All the Die Hard movies (Nope no Die Hard 5, poo poo)
All the Rocky movies
Sweeney Todd
Tim Burton's Batman, Batman 2, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Beetlejuice, Corpse Bride, amd one more I can't remember
Natural Born Killers
Any Given Sunday
Ip Man 1 and 2
Blade Runner 30th Anniversary edition
True Romance
Goodfellas
The Departed
The Aviator
Enter the Dragon
Boardwalk Empire Seasons 1, 2, & 3
The Mel Brooks collection (Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, History of the World: Part 1, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Young Frankenstein, and 4 others)
Fast & Furious 1 through 5
Prometheus

Also are Mad Max and Road Warrior done well because I'm looking at the Bluray box set.

I'm off until Monday and alone for Thanksgiving so it is just movies and football until then.

Lucky Samurai fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 26, 2013

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Psh, 50" is small these days, don't you know?

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Fayez Butts posted:

Psh, 50" is small these days, don't you know?

Bigger than 50" wouldn't fit in my car. I wanted the 60". Also 4K looks so good but drat it is expensive.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

MC2552John posted:

So I just watched Die Hard 2 on Blu Ray on a 50" 1080p 120Hz television. Here is my trip report:

I also come to you asking what to watch next. I went nuts and bought about 100 blurays so which do I watch next? The list is as such:

I'm off until Monday and alone for Thanksgiving so it is just movies and football until then.

Blade Runner should be your next immediate watch. With the restoration they did to it, it looks like it was made yesterday. Terminator 2 is also really good PQ/AQ wise.

If you really want to blow your mind, pick up Taxi Driver or Lawrence Of Arabia. Sony did an amazing job on them. Or an old technicolor film like African Queen/Gone With The Wind/Wizard Of Oz. Actually, alot of old movies have new life breathed into them with proper transfers and all that beautiful grain.

(and I'm sure this doesn't need to be mentioned but you turned off all the post-processing garbage in your TV settings, right?)

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Call Me Charlie posted:

Blade Runner should be your next immediate watch. With the restoration they did to it, it looks like it was made yesterday. Terminator 2 is also really good PQ/AQ wise.

If you really want to blow your mind, pick up Taxi Driver or Lawrence Of Arabia. Sony did an amazing job on them. Or an old technicolor film like African Queen/Gone With The Wind/Wizard Of Oz. Actually, alot of old movies have new life breathed into them with proper transfers and all that beautiful grain.

(and I'm sure this doesn't need to be mentioned but you turned off all the post-processing garbage in your TV settings, right?)

How do I do these things? I didn't know I had to kerfutz with the TV settings. I just did plug n play, the American Way. I have an LG 50LN5700 for reference. It was only $650 brand new.

Also I'm using a Playstation 3 as my Bluray player if it matters.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

MC2552John posted:

I love my 120hz tv as well. I've seen almost all those listed on it except for Deadwood, Any Given Sunday, The Departed and Boardwalk. Some people hate 120hz, but I love it. Though it really depends on the show, stuff like Terminator Salvation or CSI where they are in front of a green screen a lot it looks pretty bad.

That said, some of my favorites I've seen on it are Beetlejuice, Ip Man, and Blade runner.

Also, if you can, get yourself Dredd and Life of Pi for some great movies and eye candy. And to a lesser extent Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Speed Racer, and Avatar for just straight eye candy.

And the Planet Earth BBC series.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

MC2552John posted:

How do I do these things? I didn't know I had to kerfutz with the TV settings. I just did plug n play, the American Way. I have an LG 50LN5700 for reference. It was only $650 brand new.

Also I'm using a Playstation 3 as my Bluray player if it matters.

I looked up your TV.

Smart house -> Settings -> Picture -> Picture Mode -> Picture Option -> Noise Reduction

And (I'm not 100% about this one) you may want to turn off edge enhancer.

Smart house -> Settings -> Picture -> Picture Mode -> Advanced control/Expert Control

- edit Also keep an eye out for TruMotion. I couldn't find it in the instruction manual but they were talking about it over in the AVS thread.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 26, 2013

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MC2552John posted:

Band of Brothers
Deadwood
All the Alien movies
All the Rocky movies
Sweeney Todd
Tim Burton's Batman, Batman 2, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Beetlejuice, Corpse Bride, amd one more I can't remember
Natural Born Killers
Any Given Sunday
Ip Man 1 and 2
True Romance
Goodfellas
The Departed
The Aviator
Enter the Dragon
The Mel Brooks collection (Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, History of the World: Part 1, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Young Frankenstein, and 4 others)
Prometheus

Also are Mad Max and Road Warrior done well because I'm looking at the Bluray box set.

watch all the Fast movies in a row

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

MC2552John posted:

Band of Brothers
Deadwood
All the Alien movies
All the Rocky movies
Sweeney Todd
Natural Born Killers
Any Given Sunday
Ip Man 1 and 2
True Romance
Goodfellas
The Departed
The Aviator
Enter the Dragon
Prometheus

Aliens:colbert:

Seriously the new transfer looks loving incredible.

EDIT: Also Blade Runner is great.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 26, 2013

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

ApexAftermath posted:

Aliens:colbert:

Seriously the new transfer looks loving incredible.

EDIT: Also Blade Runner is great.

No, first watch Alien, THEN Aliens and then Prometheus.

Seriously though the transfers on Alien and Aliens are loving incredible.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

GonSmithe posted:

No, first watch Alien, THEN Aliens and then invite friends over, get near blackout drunk, and watch Prometheus, because that's the only way it's tolerable.

There we go.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Prometheus is a great movie shut up.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Buy Speed Racer and Redline and literally have your eyes pop from their sockets.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Godammit! Didn't you get the CineD memo? Prometheus is now a post-postmodern masterpiece.
Also, phallic jesus imagery, karl marx buddhist fifield, homoerotic self-loathing fassbender-robot black cum goo SEMEN. Nietzsche.

Run along now little gune and preach the message to the naïve cinemà plebes.

p.s.: the correct answer is to buy The Holy Mountain on Blu-ray :goonsay:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MC2552John posted:

I also come to you asking what to watch next. I went nuts and bought about 100 blurays so which do I watch next?

None of the above. You get the Disney calibration disc and you run that instead.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

GonSmithe posted:

Prometheus is a great movie shut up.

Prometheus is a gorgeous film, beautifully shot, the atmosphere is terrifying, and you'll leave the film thinking, huh, that was good I think. Then watch this video and laugh your rear end off.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

I, Butthole posted:

Buy Speed Racer and Redline and literally have your eyes pop from their sockets.

This sounds deeply unpleasant.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Legit: Alien is the best looking bluray I own - from both a "this looks like it was made yesterday" and a "this movie loving owns".

Also go out and get 2001 for the same feeling - when the people actual give a gently caress about restoring these they are amazing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

2001 isn't even that state of the art now. 2K transfer from 35mm reduction. Great for 2006, but it would look even better today with a 8K scan and 4K master. Although, it helps the Warner only applied light filtering rather than noise reduction.

Compare to Spartacus, which is 2K from 65mm, but has a boatload of bad processing added.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

2001 isn't even that state of the art now. 2K transfer from 35mm reduction. Great for 2006, but it would look even better today with a 8K scan and 4K master. Although, it helps the Warner only applied light filtering rather than noise reduction.

Compare to Spartacus, which is 2K from 65mm, but has a boatload of bad processing added.

Wasn't the Spartacus transfer done like 10+ years ago?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Wasn't the Spartacus transfer done like 10+ years ago?

Either 1999 or 2000. 2001: A Space Odyssey was probably done in 2005.

It's not as much resolution or film, but equipment gets better. Snow White was scanned in 4K for its 1993 restoration and again for the 2009 version. I think the major difference was that the technology didn't exist to scan the negatives with each color record, so they can capture pretty much everything now.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 26, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Great Gatsby - $7.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHHWY9I...E7A0TWFE6HXFJF2
The Last Stand - $8 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BN3DPQ4...3EKAPKNZ6TB0ZF6
From Up On Poppy Hill - $11.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CSYRHG6...RZH9CYHSZT0RS5C
Archer Season 3 - $11.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007CO5N72...FEN0WVY17APPEPG
House Of Cards Season 1 - $12.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BC5FN2C...8FYQEB6YNMJZVEB

Egbert Souse posted:

Either 1999 or 2000. 2001: A Space Odyssey was probably done in 2005.

It's not as much resolution or film, but equipment gets better. Snow White was scanned in 4K for its 1993 restoration and again for the 2009 version. I think the major difference was that the technology didn't exist to scan the negatives with each color record, so they can capture pretty much everything now.

I'm just hoping that the rumor of Criterion getting that and Do The Right Thing from Universal is true.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 26, 2013

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Jedit posted:

None of the above. You get the Disney calibration disc and you run that instead.

In addition, some of the Pixar Blu-Rays have a calibration routine in the special features. I know Ratattouille has one and I think Wall-E does too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I rented Digital Video Essentials from Netflix. Excellent disc. I didn't need the blue filter since my monitor has a blue-only mode for calibration. Surprisingly, color and saturation were very slightly off as default. Only contrast and brightness required considerable adjustment.

Always turn off the drat noise reduction and sharpening. Some TVs have negative and positive settings for sharpness instead of just 0-50. Turn that poo poo off... your monitor or projector exists to display what's on the disc.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

Where do I get it and why do I want it?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

MC2552John posted:

Where do I get it and why do I want it?

http://www.amazon.com/Wow-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B00462PTDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385501291&sr=8-1&keywords=disney+WOW+blu-ray

It's a blu-ray designed to help you calibrate your HDTV, and it does a really fantastic job. I've used it on about 5 TVs and they all are so much better once calibrated correctly.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Picking up my Criterion Zatoichi set this afternoon at B&N. Was fully willing to pay msrp, getting it half off in-store? Not enough "gently caress YEAH"'s exist.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

GonSmithe posted:

No, first watch Alien, THEN Aliens and then Prometheus.

Seriously though the transfers on Alien and Aliens are loving incredible.

This is good posting right here.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

GonSmithe posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Wow-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B00462PTDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385501291&sr=8-1&keywords=disney+WOW+blu-ray

It's a blu-ray designed to help you calibrate your HDTV, and it does a really fantastic job. I've used it on about 5 TVs and they all are so much better once calibrated correctly.
poo poo, I'm gonna have to buy this and then annoy all my friends for their betterment.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
If any of you guys own Criterion BDs, then you can calibrate your TV with the SMPTE color bars that are usually the very last chapter on the disc if you have a TV that does blue-only mode or if you have a piece of CTB gel.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm just hoping that the rumor of Criterion getting that and Do The Right Thing from Universal is true.

Whhhaaaaaaaaaaaat? Where did you hear this?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Whhhaaaaaaaaaaaat? Where did you hear this?

Nothing official but I remember hearing rumblings about those two when Universal was licensing a bunch of titles to Criterion. Probably a year ago

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Call Me Charlie posted:

Nothing official but I remember hearing rumblings about those two when Universal was licensing a bunch of titles to Criterion. Probably a year ago

It's possible too since it looks like the Criterion Do the Right Thing DVD is still in press. So it's not that crazy to think they have a shot of doing a Blu-ray issue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do B&N tend to go OOS on their Criterion sale ? I've had notifications one of my titles has shipped (In The Mood For Love), but the other two (Videodrome, Brazil) are both held back. Hoping they won't have an issue restocking.

I didn't realise they were good with international shipping, $10 for the 3 titles for postage costs is pretty good. Some places charge $30 just for the audacity of a dirty foreign ordering from them. There's virtually nowhere in this country you can get Criterions easily (I think the place I went to in London charges about $50 a title) so having a source that does the 50% off sale is going to be damaging to my bank account I think...

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do B&N tend to go OOS on their Criterion sale ? I've had notifications one of my titles has shipped (In The Mood For Love), but the other two (Videodrome, Brazil) are both held back. Hoping they won't have an issue restocking.

I didn't realise they were good with international shipping, $10 for the 3 titles for postage costs is pretty good. Some places charge $30 just for the audacity of a dirty foreign ordering from them. There's virtually nowhere in this country you can get Criterions easily (I think the place I went to in London charges about $50 a title) so having a source that does the 50% off sale is going to be damaging to my bank account I think...

When I ordered The Devil's Backbone a week before its release date, it actually took an extra month for it to arrive - but it did get there.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yes. I ordered Lord of the Flies from them in the last sale and it took an extra month and a half to be sent, with no emails from them. When I talked to their support about it all they had to say was "Oh, yeah, sorry, that's delayed. You'll get an email when we send it out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Say Anything - $5 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029XFN9Y...EFYKWYJ8VMZKNZ8
Westworld - $5 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AATFJK2...147Z84SKC0KN5M2
Phantoms/Darkness/Venom - $6.21 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007AFC236...5R2FHC395A3M6YS
Ben Hur/The Ten Commandments - $11.98 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AMSLDW4...TBCRHS3QZAJMSE5
Halloween: 35th Anniversary (Remastered) - $11.98 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOB3N56...ZDGD8KZ2ZN8FEDN

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's possible too since it looks like the Criterion Do the Right Thing DVD is still in press. So it's not that crazy to think they have a shot of doing a Blu-ray issue.

I hope they do just so we have a HD version with the proper color timing.

• Locked thread