Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Random helpful note to anyone struggling to get survivors: spread your outposts around where you like to loot so that you can loot weapons and meds and stuff and sell them to your outposts for influence, and keep having Lily reach out for new survivors. I'm rocking population 16 right now, and that's after a few minor cullings/accidents. More population also means more runners so you can pop off "Call for Scavenger" every cooldown if you need to stockpile resources.

Atmus posted:

Also, if your rucksack gets dropped anywhere near your base, some other guy will go get it and bring it back for you.

I've personally never seen this happen and have left rucksacks near my bases before, but I don't doubt it. Either way, it's stupid that for some reason the AI can't handle holding a rucksack when I want it to.

That said, this is easily the best $20 I've spent on gaming in a very long time. The game's still stupidly fun.

Something neat I've noticed which I'll screenshot when I get home: I took over Snyder Trucking Warehouse as my base and dropped all 8 outposts around it to cover all approaches (4 materials 2 food 2 ammo in case anyone's curious). I did it in such a way that most of the downtown area around me is covered by an outpost. As such, except for Wilkersons' missions and missions for the Law, every one of my "ally in trouble!" or hunt-a-zed missions have spawned at the Grange (which is awesome because it's basically next to STW) or in the homes in the southwest corner of Marshall (whcih are also basically next to STW) or in the area next to The Law (which is still really close). Maybe it's just because I've gotten the hang of the game since my base was in the Church and the Savini place, but I don't remember having my random missions so easily accessible. I remember having to do a lot of pain-in-the-rear end driving before, whereas now I can basically do a lap through my random missions to keep the peace and then move on to doing whatever I'd like.

Waiting to see what Sgt. Tan does next now that I've finished the mission where he finds out the military ran away from the fairgrounds. Also does anyone who's used STW and moved to the Fairgrounds feel like there's really a need to do so? STW is so well-located that the only reason I'm considering the Fairgrounds for my next playthrough is that they're closer to the church and the wilkersons, not too far from Marshall, and there's basically nothing of note in the south-east that I've seen so far, anyway. I need to go raiding through the southeast to see what I've missed, if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Rucksack collection isn't guaranteed, but it happens. Usually when you don't want it to because you were trying to save up past the storage limits.

I think the only reason not to go to Snyder is because you've gone to Snyder on all your other playthroughs since it is pretty much better than all of the other ones. I'm shocked that they didn't have 'use all available home sites' as an achievement, because some of them are total garbage that no one would ever use otherwise.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Atmus posted:

I think the only reason not to go to Snyder is because you've gone to Snyder on all your other playthroughs since it is pretty much better than all of the other ones. I'm shocked that they didn't have 'use all available home sites' as an achievement, because some of them are total garbage that no one would ever use otherwise.

*cough* The Alamo *cough cough*

How the hell do you force trust with an enclave? Are you really just at the whim of the game generating "Uh oh, Joe-Bob from the 'Tarded Enclave is in trouble again! Go help him!" missions? I forgot that I had an enclave of desperate survivors die while I wasn't playing them, and I was bummed because if they joined me they clearly would have saved their pixelated lives.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's a good question, i'd like to know that too. I keep having random civvies die, i'm one survivor away from getting into snyder (i'm not going for a quirky run) and I can't get anyone to join me.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

dogstile posted:

That's a good question, i'd like to know that too. I keep having random civvies die, i'm one survivor away from getting into snyder (i'm not going for a quirky run) and I can't get anyone to join me.

As far as that goes, just keep having Lily radio to invite survivors. It generates 0 or 2 survivors; I had it fail once ("Unable to locate any new survivors") and generate 2 survivors 4 times. You just go and rescue them, they ask to join you immediately, and you drive them back to base. They instantly join you.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Will I enjoy this game if I like hard as balls survival stuff but don't like zombies all that much? I've been interested in the game since I saw it on Steam Shots, but I don't want to drop :20bux: for another World War Z or whatever it was called.

I want to be huddled in a small room eating my last can of beans and trying to decide how best to use my last 5 shots.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It's not really that kind of survival game, it glosses over the nitty gritty survival stuff.

I would wait for the Breakdown DLC to hit in a few days and then ask again. The game gets dramatically easier as you learn it. The DLC is adding a sandbox mode where the difficulty can be increased over time, to the point that on the hardest mode the developers measured their survival time in minutes.

And we should be getting modding tools soon so hooray.

e: that being said, the game is no WWZ. Though I think you're referring to The War Z, which became Infestation: Survivor Stories and was regarded a gigantic turd.

Although the movie WWZ wasn't great either but the book rocks so. :v:

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 27, 2013

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Suppose I'll wait until the DLC is out then. Time to track down some STALKER mods or something until Thursday. :v:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I would also go and play the demo of Project Zomboid if you haven't already. It's again zombies but it's the quintessential huddled in the corner eating beans game, with a mode to tweak the zombies to be as smart/dumb/fast/slow/tough as you want.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Tommofork posted:

e: that being said, the game is no WWZ. Though I think you're referring to The War Z, which became Infestation: Survivor Stories and was regarded a gigantic turd.

Yeah. It was poo poo. I was one of the unlucky few who was wanting a game like DayZ only an actual game, and not a stupid milsperg turned FPS, and jumped at the chance. I got my 20$ worth, but I would not at all ever reccomend it to anyone.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

tl; dr: Super fun game, but more of a macro-survival arcadey-simulation than a detailed survival simulation. Example: You eat a Twinkie for a stamina boost, and stamina fuels your combat. If you drain your stamina and eat a twinkie, you fight harder. You also recover from 127 bite wounds by eating a small bottle of aspirin. You eat twinkies and aspirin so that you can clear more of the city for your base's population to loot, like the upstanding drug-addled citizens they are.

State of Decay is like Dead Rising with more relaxed time limits and more base-related stuff you can do. Like someone said, this game gets dramatically easier the more you learn about it. Once you understand the combat, you can take a 1-star survivor with no skills and pretty much slaughter a city block's worth of zombies.

Melee is godly in this game. Guns are kind of a novelty. Like, you NEED melee, but you don't need guns, and melee is stupidly good.

On the note of melee, what's a better unique power for prolonged fighting? The gain-a-little-stamina-per-kill or the less-stamina-per-attack option? I tried the first, and it restores just about the amount of stamina you need to execute a zombie, so a drop-kick followed by an execute really only costs the drop-kick, but I'm going to test the less-cost-per-attack option since against hordes that include freaks, using things that don't kill more often (like the power attack for Blunt weapons that makes you spin in an AOE) is more useful, so less-cost-per-attack would be better.

Hell, the combat gets so formulaic that there is virtually zero reason to not shift-search constantly. Plus if your active character has Wits, shift-searching raises wits which gets you closer to the less-chance-to-make-noise-while-shift-searching passive ability, so focusing purely on combat while amassing speciality survivors for your base seems like the way to go.

Question: how valuable is the munitions lab in addition to the machine shop? The munitions lab is not worth passing on in order to get an extra bunkhouse, right? Is there any way to get more than 8 beds per bunkhouse?

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 27, 2013

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
The munitions lab is pretty much as much of a novelty as all the rest of the non-melee weapons in the game, excepting maybe the M-60, which is great when you just don't feel like dealing with juggernauts correctly.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Man I wish you could turn the sim mode off. If I leave the game for two days all the loving enclaves die or move.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

dogstile posted:

Man I wish you could turn the sim mode off. If I leave the game for two days all the loving enclaves die or move.

In a way, this means nothing. As far as I know, the enclaves only serve to generate missions until they become Friendly at which point you can invite them to join you. This can take a longass time. Technically, Enclaves also serve to confuse you: when I hear 'Save the Survivor!' or whatever, I assume it's one of my own people (since they don't always say 'Ally in Trouble!') I tend to rush over, and when I find out it's some rear end in a top hat from some enclave who gets into trouble every loving day, who still won't join me, I start to just let them get eaten because hey, if they wanted to live, they should've joined me. This sucks because it seems to generate a lot more runaways and lower morale, so I generally have to save them.

Or you can say "gently caress that noise" and have Lily radio for survivors every 10 minutes for 100 influence, which requires one 'mission' where you bail out two chucklefucks who immediately join you. Worst case you're out of 100 influence if the radio attempt fails, best case you have 2 more survivors every 10 minutes since you can tell Lily to radio from anywhere. My next playthrough is going to focus on getting as many survivors via this method as possible.

Other question: does Karen The Drunk serve any purpose besides being a reliable (lovely) survivor? She was the first of my survivor cullings and aside from causing two runaways seemed to not do poo poo.

I've since realized you generally don't want to needlessly kill off people who aren't infected since it only causes morale problems and there's still a bug where anyone who runs away permanently says "HISTORY: RAN AWAY" instead of their current mood. Speaking of which, moods also seem to do nothing, unless there's truth to switching to bad-mood survivors to control manually till they're tired so that they don't generate a morale mission. I tried that and it seems to work, but it must not work for long since eventually Marcus of all loving people generated a "bloo bloo bloo being a character in a zombie video game makes me sad" mission. Marcus, my 7-star-in-all-skills Leader. Who I just used to do a ton of work with. Yep.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 27, 2013

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Has anyone got past 20 survivors after the last patch? I mean more than 20 living, joined up survivors.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
For anyone interested in State of Decay but haven't purchased it yet, it's currently on sale on Steam for like $13.39. Get it now on the cheap and play the expansion coming out in two days.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/241540/

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Is the only way to get rid of a survivor to take control and go hug a horde? I've got a 0-positive trait 2-negative trait survivor I want to rid me of but there's no option to tell her to gently caress off.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

That or take them with you and let them play with a horde while you crouch in a bush giggling.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
So Breakdown is up on the Xbox now, in the UK at least.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Unnnnngh so excited...

edit: (EST here)

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Really enjoying the DLC so far. It's balls-hard, even from the get go. Lots more variety of special zombies. Can't wait to load up the RV and see how tough this game can get!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Trustworthy posted:

Unnnnngh so excited...

edit: (EST here)

BTW this was a countdown to nothing, apparently. :smith:

Yay, took a while, but it's available now. :dance:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 29, 2013

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

It's up on Steam, just downloaded it now!

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Godmachine posted:

For anyone interested in State of Decay but haven't purchased it yet, it's currently on sale on Steam for like $13.39. Get it now on the cheap and play the expansion coming out in two days.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/241540/

Everybody knows that you wait for it to be a daily or a flash sale. It's currently $9.99. If you are going to get it, Get it now.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

I'm a bit late to the party with State of Decay. But I started playing yesterday and it seems surprisingly good fun. I'll put up a let's play sort of thing for as long as I play it. Warning; I'm pretty awful at these, but it might give a floater a better idea of the gist if they're thinking about picking it up in the Steam sale.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
One of the survivors I just found in the Breakdown DLC has an interesting bug going on with him. He doesn't have a flashlight. Instead, a beam of light is emitted from his crotch.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Fibby Boy posted:

One of the survivors I just found in the Breakdown DLC has an interesting bug going on with him. He doesn't have a flashlight. Instead, a beam of light is emitted from his crotch.

Special Trait: Glowing dick.

Skills:

Can be used as a flashlight.

When headlights on cars no longer work, he can sit on the hood and guide our way home.

If you encounter Zombie Santa trapped in fog, can use this skill to guide the reindeer back to the north pole.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Fibby Boy posted:

It's an easter egg; if you find his girlfriend (who has a special magnifying glass vagina), you can run around together lighting zombies on fire like ants.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I love Breakdown already. My first survivor is an cosplayer with no good skills, and my first camp is made up of 2 alcoholic chefs and a trivia expert. And they all smoke.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So the verdict on breakdown is good so far? I'd actually enjoy a mode a lot where you could permanently claim an area from the zombies. Sort of start with only one of the bases and keep going until you staff and conquer all of them.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

So the verdict on breakdown is good so far? I'd actually enjoy a mode a lot where you could permanently claim an area from the zombies. Sort of start with only one of the bases and keep going until you staff and conquer all of them.

Yeah I've been slowly taking one town from the zombies best I can with a cowardly, asthma attack having, zombie fan fiction writer. So far I've been having way more fun with the DLC then I ever had with the base story campaign.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I've already lost one survivor to a Fatty. Having not played this in a long while I spazed out and did the following in an attempt to kill it:

-Used up all of my police revolver ammo. Missed every shot.
-Used up all three of my molotov's. Hit the fatty twice while setting my buddy on fire with the third one.
-Smacked it in the rear end a couple of times with my lead pipe. Bad idea.
-Honked my horn at it.
-Ran into it with a car, knocked it over, and blew out all my tires in the process. Car was too slow/light to finish it off.
-Repeat above except with a truck.
-Hit it with the truck door. Fatty didn't like this and ripped the door off the truck.
-Drop kicked it. Bad idea.

After all of that my buddy ended up getting eaten. I said gently caress it and ran away.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Is there a mod to get rid of special zombies? Those are the worst thing in any zombie game and why I hate most of them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fibby Boy posted:

I've already lost one survivor to a Fatty. Having not played this in a long while I spazed out and did the following in an attempt to kill it:

-Used up all of my police revolver ammo. Missed every shot.
-Used up all three of my molotov's. Hit the fatty twice while setting my buddy on fire with the third one.
-Smacked it in the rear end a couple of times with my lead pipe. Bad idea.
-Honked my horn at it.
-Ran into it with a car, knocked it over, and blew out all my tires in the process. Car was too slow/light to finish it off.
-Repeat above except with a truck.
-Hit it with the truck door. Fatty didn't like this and ripped the door off the truck.
-Drop kicked it. Bad idea.

After all of that my buddy ended up getting eaten. I said gently caress it and ran away.

I usually lob a molotov and while its burning and crouched use a riot shotgun on it. When I don't have a survivor like that I usually just avoid them, they take up to much ammo.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Things of note:

-Survivors will not attack things that are right outside the safehouse gate it seems. I just lost another character because while I was being buttfucked by two hordes of zombies I had three survivors watching me, from inside the safe zone, who were 5 feet away.

-Safehouse gates don't close automatically anymore.

-Fatties can climb walls now.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Fibby Boy posted:

Yessssss :unsmigghh:

Really looking forward to playing Breakdown once the family's done visiting for Thanksgiving.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Fibby Boy posted:

Please tell me they still can't get through doors.

I started as a sleazy alcoholic with asthma and fell off the survey point in the first mission. Rick Grimes I ain't.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

Please tell me they still can't get through doors.

I started as a sleazy alcoholic with asthma and fell off the survey point in the first mission. Rick Grimes I ain't.

I have no idea. All I know is seeing a fatty climb over a safe house wall is terrifying.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Just picked this and the DLC up in the Steam sale, looks pretty awesome. Would it be best to play the vanilla game first, or jump into the DLC sandbox mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Overdrift posted:

Just picked this and the DLC up in the Steam sale, looks pretty awesome. Would it be best to play the vanilla game first, or jump into the DLC sandbox mode?

Vanilla first for sure. The DLC has a lot of assumed knowledge expected for the player.

• Locked thread