Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

Anne Whateley posted:

That's a specific style usually used for speed knitting (and I think they usually use a leather cup/belt, too). If you go to a knitting group or anything in the US, nobody will be doing it. I think it's a huge pain and (for me) not worth whatever increase in speed. If it's not clicking for you, feel free to try holding the needles normally at first. There are like a million videos on YouTube.
Yeah, I gave up doing it that way pretty quickly after I posted. Holding normally is working better, and I'll definitely check out videos as soon as I'm able, thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

Yeah, I gave up doing it that way pretty quickly after I posted. Holding normally is working better, and I'll definitely check out videos as soon as I'm able, thanks :)

That sort of wonkyness is why I use circs for everything, even when knitting flat. Well, that and circs tend to be lighter and easier on my arthritic old lady hands. (I am 21. My hands are in their 60's.)

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

GabrielAisling posted:

That sort of wonkyness is why I use circs for everything, even when knitting flat. Well, that and circs tend to be lighter and easier on my arthritic old lady hands. (I am 21. My hands are in their 60's.)
I normally use circs for everything but my 5s were lost this summer and I picked up a bunch of straight needles at the thrift shop a while back. Figured it was worth learning.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Realise almost 30 rows in that you were misreading one particular stitch as purl when it should've been knit. :suicide:

It honestly doesn't look bad the way it is, so I'm thinking I'll just pretend I meant to do that. But still!

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

MarsDragon posted:

Realise almost 30 rows in that you were misreading one particular stitch as purl when it should've been knit. :suicide:

It honestly doesn't look bad the way it is, so I'm thinking I'll just pretend I meant to do that. But still!

You could drop just that row and re-do it the "right" way with a crochet hook and a lot of booze. :black101:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
What's really fun is dropping multiple stitches to fix decreases and increases. Except like, not really. I had to do that for a pair of gloves I made with sock yarn recently. I missed a [yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo] something like 15 rows back and was not going to frog that much work, but I couldn't leave it alone either. :black101:

I also missed a [k1, yo, ssk] several rows back on a pair of socks I made a couple weeks ago. Apparently I'm really great at knitting lace lately. :downs:

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
War eagle.

There are Auburn patches that I can get on Etsy; how feasible would it be to sew it to a sport-weight knitted blanket? I haven't learned colorwork in other than knitting stripes yet, otherwise I would have just knitted the logo in myself.

I'm mostly worried about the thread used to sew it in somehow ripping through the yarn and creating a pile of yarn horror. It's Cascade 220, so it's just wool yarn.

Weaving in the ends is going to be a nightmare.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Just finished my first fair isle project! I'm pretty drat proud of myself.

It's in the machine on the hand-wash setting right now so I can block it later, but here's a picture of it right when I was starting decreases:

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

suddenly cats posted:

It's in the machine on the hand-wash setting right now so I can block it later, but here's a picture of it right when I was starting decreases:

That's gorgeous

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

suddenly cats posted:

Lovely! DPNs or circulars?

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

innocent_deadly posted:

Lovely! DPNs or circulars?

Thanks! Started on a 12" circular, then moved to DPNs when it got too small after decreases.

Not gonna lie though, if I had a long enough circ I probably would've magic looped the whole thing. I like DPNs well enough, but magic loop has really started to grow on me.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I have two sets of yarn needles floating around this house so that I'll always have one at hand when I'm ready to bind off. I'm about to bind off on a Kindle cover for Mum for Christmas, and is there a needle to be found? gently caress no!

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Does anyone know of a free very basic pullover pattern?

I've got 1100ish yards of laceweight that I want to make into a sweater and I've seen a couple patterns that just about work but there's always something weird added onto the free patterns and I've never knit a sweater before.

So now I'm at the point where I don't want a pattern that is any more in depth than "this is clothes!". No scalloped edges, no weird ruching, etc. Lace is fine since I can do lace all day and holes mean I can make this yarn go further, and I don't want cables because opposite of holes..

The closest pattern to what I want is http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/morning-dew-3 but it's only one size and since I've never knit a pullover I would have no idea how to make sure I could go up a size in it.

So I'm basically to the point where I think if I could find the most basic of pullover patterns in my size and just use lace instead of fingering or whatever knowing it will be all fluttery and holey I would be ok, but looking up "free basic pullover pattern" made me want to rip my hair out last night.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Check if your library has a copy of The Knitter's Book of Sweater Patterns. It's a bunch of basic sweater patterns with charts allowing you to customize according to your measurements and gauge. I've used it for a t-shirt pattern and it worked out pretty well.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

MarsDragon posted:

Check if your library has a copy of The Knitter's Book of Sweater Patterns. It's a bunch of basic sweater patterns with charts allowing you to customize according to your measurements and gauge. I've used it for a t-shirt pattern and it worked out pretty well.

Title The knitter's handy book of sweater patterns : basic designs in multiple sizes & gauges
by Budd, Ann, 1956-
Call Number 746.43204/BUDD

This one?
Looks like they do! Thank you!!

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

After singing the praises of circular needles, I just started a project with straight needles. (My first.) They're long and wobbly and weird and I feel like a goof. When I've seen ladies doing it, some seem to keep one needle under their arm and just work with the other, so that's what I'm trying to do, but it's still really clumsy. And my boyfriend laughed at me. Are there any tips I can try to make it more comfortable, or do I just need to practice?

Getting good at lever knitting (sometimes called cottage) takes somewhere between 5k and 10k stitches but it's worth the time investment if you want to knit quickly. Like, on a circular needle I might knit 40-50 stitches a minute which is admittedly pretty slow but my lever knitting starts around 80 spm.

It's usually a little easier for people with smaller hands to pick the skill up so if you have larger hands that might explain some of the awkwardness.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Getting back into knitting after a couple of years. Initially I had some trouble with doing a rib since I would keep messing up the yarn switch for purls :v: but I've got it down now!

I then promptly ordered a sock yarn sampler and size 6 & 7 teal-colored circulars from knitpicks...

What are everyone's favorite circulars? Should I eventually buy the circular set from knitpicks? I have their DPN set in original multi-colored wood and I like them a lot for sock knitting.

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

left_unattended posted:

I have two sets of yarn needles floating around this house so that I'll always have one at hand when I'm ready to bind off. I'm about to bind off on a Kindle cover for Mum for Christmas, and is there a needle to be found? gently caress no!

Things like that happening to me is why I know have a specific small bag for knitting accessories. it has my dpns, circs and interchanging bits, tape measure, needles, and of course SCISSORS, which used to never be around when I needed them. Getting nice pink scissors helped, I like them too much to lose them now. Each type of small thing has its own snaplock bag too, so it's not complete chaos in there (just mostly, because things tend to switch bags when I'm in a hurry).

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

jomiel posted:

Getting back into knitting after a couple of years. Initially I had some trouble with doing a rib since I would keep messing up the yarn switch for purls :v: but I've got it down now!

I then promptly ordered a sock yarn sampler and size 6 & 7 teal-colored circulars from knitpicks...

What are everyone's favorite circulars? Should I eventually buy the circular set from knitpicks? I have their DPN set in original multi-colored wood and I like them a lot for sock knitting.

The company that used to make the knitpicks now makes the knitter pride set. I have the interchangable circs and <3 them

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

jomiel posted:

I wouldn't get KnitPicks. Their quality has gone waaaay downhill in the last two years and everyone I've talked to about it agrees the needles aren't nearly as good, and they've had their fair share of controversy as well. If you're looking for a good set of circular needles, check out HiyaHiya and Chiaogoo. I've used both and adore their needles.

eta: ^ - Knitter's Pride, on the other hand, is great. I think what happened is KnitPicks started getting their products from cheaper, lower quality manufacturers after the son of the ex-president and his wife took over the company. Knitter's Pride uses the older, better quality products under their own new label. I haven't used their sets, but I have a few fixed circs and they're great. I'd love to get one of the square needle sets.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 20, 2013

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Avalinka posted:

Things like that happening to me is why I know have a specific small bag for knitting accessories. it has my dpns, circs and interchanging bits, tape measure, needles, and of course SCISSORS, which used to never be around when I needed them. Getting nice pink scissors helped, I like them too much to lose them now. Each type of small thing has its own snaplock bag too, so it's not complete chaos in there (just mostly, because things tend to switch bags when I'm in a hurry).

This is exactly what I do. I've got a snack-size Ziploc bag that holds my scissors, a yarn needle, some stitch markers, some waste thread...and occasionally, whatever else I need for a specific project.

Brazilian Werewolf
Dec 6, 2006
--dies at the end.
Ughh I could kill my boyfriend :( he put all our laundry IN my christmas knitting yarn stash bag. Almost everyone I'm knitting for has serious detergent allergies and on top of that it looks like it was still wet because a lot of the skeins seem to have felted on the top few layers, so like none of the yarn is uniform anymore and a lot of it looks weird and damaged. Apparently I need to buy like 100+ dollars of yarn again. And a new dryer that actually dries. Also maybe a new boyfriend

(I just needed to whine about it here because he doesn't get why it's a problem aaaa)

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Brazilian Werewolf posted:

Ughh I could kill my boyfriend :( he put all our laundry IN my christmas knitting yarn stash bag. Almost everyone I'm knitting for has serious detergent allergies and on top of that it looks like it was still wet because a lot of the skeins seem to have felted on the top few layers, so like none of the yarn is uniform anymore and a lot of it looks weird and damaged. Apparently I need to buy like 100+ dollars of yarn again. And a new dryer that actually dries. Also maybe a new boyfriend

(I just needed to whine about it here because he doesn't get why it's a problem aaaa)

Tell him he did the equivalent of pissing on (insert whatever he spends money on here).

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Brazilian Werewolf posted:

Apparently I need to buy like 100+ dollars of yarn again.

Get him to replace it.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Dead Cow posted:

The company that used to make the knitpicks now makes the knitter pride set. I have the interchangable circs and <3 them

I've started migrating over to the Knitter's Pride needle tips from my KnitPicks Harmony set, as I break tips or just decide I need spare pairs of a certain size. I really like how the Knitter's Pride tips have the size actually marked on the needle as well as being color coded by size. The Harmony tips required you to either be constantly checking a needle gauge or far more careful than I am about keeping them organized by size at all times. They feel exactly like my older set of KnitPicks Harmony needles, just with a few improvements! Also, my LYS carries them so if I break a needle, I can just run out and buy a new one that day and continue knitting rather than waiting for it to ship.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

jomiel posted:

Addi Turbos, ChiaoGoo red lace and clover bamboo. Unless you're doing really big projects like a whole afghan you can probably get by with a 16" and a 29" or 36" in whatever sizes you need.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I have the Addi Click Lace (long tips) set, and it's a lovely set, but I have to say, for how expensive they are, I expected the join to be smoother. My friend, however, has the Hiya Hiya lace set and those ones are great. I might sell my Addis and get the Hiya Hiyas myself.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Guys help me, I just bought $40 of novelty yarn I probably won't use because it was on sale and free shipping uuuggh :negative:

Seriously though, the total before discounts was $180. I don't want to know what the shipping costs would have been. Everyone is getting knit gloves or hats this year, and maybe I can resell some of this junk on Etsy.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Amelia Song posted:

I have the Addi Click Lace (long tips) set, and it's a lovely set, but I have to say, for how expensive they are, I expected the join to be smoother. My friend, however, has the Hiya Hiya lace set and those ones are great. I might sell my Addis and get the Hiya Hiyas myself.

Yeah the joins on addi interchangables are always pretty unimpressive. Chiaogoo makes an interchangable lace set with much nicer joins and the tips are almost as nice as signature stilettos but the chiaogoo needles are a little more grippy than addi turbos (which I suppose some people would prefer).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tell me if I am insane or not.

My kid loves my flip mittens and wants a pair for himself. They are smartwool and I love smartwool, it is soft and pretty and comfy and machine washable/dryable. They do not, however, come in kid sizes.

How hard is it to make these types of mittens, given that I have knit exactly three things in my life (baby booties and hats and a blocked sewn-together sweater that was supposed to be a Christmas present for my nephew and ended up being finished in June?) Will I drive myself insane? I have also never successfully used dpns and I own a circular needle that I have also never successfully used (though I read through the thread and found the hot water trick for loosening up the cord and that should help immensely).

Also where can I buy smartwool type wool? Is it called sportwash or superwash or something? Wool is usually too itchy for me to wear but that stuff must be farted out by fairies or something because it is incredibly soft and comfortable.

If I am my usual stubborn self and ignore all your well-meaning advice and try this anyway, anyone have any good patterns?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Flip mittens aren't that hard. If you've done booties and hats, they'd be a good next project. I would suggest leaving off the individual fingers if anything -- they're pretty finicky and your kid probably won't care.

How did you do the booties and hats if not on DPNs or circs?

Look on Ravelry for patterns. People call these "glittens" -- should help for searching, or just look for kids'/hands.

Wool for knitting is pretty great. After you figure out what weight you need, go to a yarn store (a small one, not like Michaels) and do some groping. Look for merino (which Smartwool apparently is), but there's lots of nice-feeling wool yarn out there. Obviously, don't be surprised that materials will be pricier than buying gloves!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The bootie pattern had to be sewn up the back (well, I had a friend crochet it closed) and the hat... god its been so long I forget. It was one of those easy babby's first pattern books, so it probably had a seam up the side and was just generally horrible.

I want to try the fingers, though :( And how do I know what wool I need?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Oracle posted:

The bootie pattern had to be sewn up the back (well, I had a friend crochet it closed) and the hat... god its been so long I forget. It was one of those easy babby's first pattern books, so it probably had a seam up the side and was just generally horrible.

I want to try the fingers, though :( And how do I know what wool I need?

Look for things specifically named "superwash"

http://www.knitpicks.com/Swish+Superwash_YD5420153.html This is a good place to start.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Superwash is not gonna be the same as Smartwool. Apparently Smartwool is the name for a proprietary treatment that's supposed to do a ton of stuff, making it itch-free, anti-shrinking, moisture-wicking, anti-microbial, whatever. They don't sell yarn, and if it is a proprietary thing, you're not going to be able to find other yarn with the exact same treatment. Superwash just means it (allegedly) won't felt in the wash.

If you really want to knit with Smartwool, you could try to find some at a thrift store, unravel the sweater/hat/whatever, and knit with it. I wouldn't recommend that for a new knitter -- you'll have to make sure what you get is unravelable, then figure out gauge and yardage, and probably modify a pattern.

If you just want wool that feels good, like Smartwool does to you, there are a lot of wool yarns that feel good in your LYS. Look for merino, which Smartwool is.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I've been working on a baby sweater for my little nephew for the past few weeks. It's a lot of work, because of course I couldn't find the exact thing I wanted and didn't feel like buying a pattern so I had to find something similar-ish and modify it and my gauge was different and I was using yarn I originally bought for a different thing so I ran out.

But it's coming out really cute!

You know what I hate? Intarsia, weaving in ends, and duplicate stitch. GOOD CHOICE OF PROJECT, ME.

It'd better fit the little bugger.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

^^Wow, but it looks really good. I don't think I'd even know where to start. You are on a whole different level.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

a friendly penguin posted:

^^Wow, but it looks really good. I don't think I'd even know where to start. You are on a whole different level.

Thanks! :)

It's not really that hard...the pattern I used had a little schematic so all I did was take the measurement it was supposed to be, and multiply by my personal gauge, and that tells you what to cast on, and then you just have to monkey with that number a little to get the pattern to fit (like, I think I was supposed to cast on 30, but my pattern needed 31 so I called it close enough). It got a little dicey around the armholes and stuff because you're working with smaller numbers (you can't cast off 1.5 stitches, for example), but I got it close enough I think. I'm a bit worried about the sleeve cap, since I pretty much just winged it.

It would have been easier if I did raglan shaping or something, but why would I make anything easy on myself? Obviously that would be stupid.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Awesome baby sweater

That's amazing! I couldn't manage an intarsia tea cosy, so I'm seriously impressed. He's going to look so dapper :3:.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

OK so I'm sure there are a couple billion patterns online, but I can't for the life of me find a pattern for a simple child's hat. I made this fox scarf (which was also my very first knitting project) for a niece earlier this year and want to make her a hat to match for Christmas, but I can't find a pattern for a plain hat for a child.I'm OK with freestyling some fox ears to go on it - it would just be simple increases, I can definitely do that) but good lord am I having trouble with the hat itself. Please assist, knitgoons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Mad Hamish posted:

OK so I'm sure there are a couple billion patterns online, but I can't for the life of me find a pattern for a simple child's hat. I made this fox scarf (which was also my very first knitting project) for a niece earlier this year and want to make her a hat to match for Christmas, but I can't find a pattern for a plain hat for a child.I'm OK with freestyling some fox ears to go on it - it would just be simple increases, I can definitely do that) but good lord am I having trouble with the hat itself. Please assist, knitgoons!

Fox hat (knit flat and seamed): http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fox-hat-6
Fox hat (super bulky yarn, damned adorable): http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/0-981-fox-hat-with-ear-flaps-and-crochet-edge-in-andes
Just plain toque: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/be-loving