Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Hey um so big news about the morning after pill. It doesn't really work if you are more than 165lbs and it REALLY doesn't work if you are more than 176lbs.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/11/plan-b-morning-after-pill-weight-limit-pounds

So uhhhhh I guess if you are above average in weight don't expect the morning after pill to be really effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I've been hearing for years that the pill might not work as well in overweight women (I never could get a straight answer out of a gyno) so I can't say that I was really surprised by this. I mean, that was the number one reason I switched to an IUD. I liked the pill, but I could never get a straight answer about whether it was going to work for me after I got heavier.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Geolicious posted:

I've been hearing for years that the pill might not work as well in overweight women (I never could get a straight answer out of a gyno) so I can't say that I was really surprised by this. I mean, that was the number one reason I switched to an IUD. I liked the pill, but I could never get a straight answer about whether it was going to work for me after I got heavier.

Considering the manufacturers knew this for a fact for a while - you'd really think they should be required to put a big loving label right on the package that says LESS EFFECTIVE IF OVER 165 and NOT EFFECTIVE OVER 176. Jesus loving christ. I'm 150 but i'm infuriated because i've recommended it to so many women just to keep a package in their drat medicine cabinet "just in case!" I was at 180 for a period in my life and thank god I wasn't horribly irresponsible back then.

Also - another rant i've got is that we all get to see another group of dipshits talking about "hurr hurr the best birth control is for women to keep their legs closed, amirite or whut?"

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Never read comments. Never.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.
Thanks to this thread I finally worked up the courage to see a doctor about switching my birth control. I've been in Trinessa for years now but am always forgetful when it comes to the pill. I have an appointment to see my doctor to get a Mirena inserted in after my period has started. I'm super nervous! I still freak out a little when doctors go down there because of PTSD. Any tips on just relaxing? It was already suggested to take a few ibuprofen too an hour before I go.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Make sure the doctor knows about it? What helps me whenever I'm tense (for the dentist or anything) is to have them explain exactly what they're doing and why before they do it. If you really freak out, maybe they can hook you up with a sedative or something a little more chillout than ibuprofen. I'm positive you won't be the first to need it.

snackpants
Sep 3, 2009

Watch how fast I type "motherfucker."
Up front facts: I'm an idiot. He's an idiot. We're all idiots.

I had sex with a condom Friday morning (around 2:30am), but the condom was mysteriously gone after. I did not think much of it at the time. We had unprotected sex Sunday morning, using the trusty pull-out method (I know, I KNOW). Tonight, while in the bathroom, the condom falls out of me from God-Knows-Where :stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

I'm terrified and feel like this is a dream. I'm planning on getting a morning after pill tomorrow, but is that totally mute at this point? I'm actually more concerned about the incident from Thursday than this Sunday.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

snackpants posted:

Up front facts: I'm an idiot. He's an idiot. We're all idiots.

I had sex with a condom Friday morning (around 2:30am), but the condom was mysteriously gone after. I did not think much of it at the time. We had unprotected sex Sunday morning, using the trusty pull-out method (I know, I KNOW). Tonight, while in the bathroom, the condom falls out of me from God-Knows-Where :stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

I'm terrified and feel like this is a dream. I'm planning on getting a morning after pill tomorrow, but is that totally mute at this point? I'm actually more concerned about the incident from Thursday than this Sunday.

Plan B has a decrease in efficacy the longer after unprotected intercourse you take it, but can be effective up to around 120 hours after. Ella (ulipristal) maintains about the same efficacy out to 120 hours but requires a prescription - do you have a doc you can visit? Another option would be a paragard as mentioned earlier if you're also interested in longer acting contraception.

snackpants
Sep 3, 2009

Would Paragard be effective 5 (potential) days after? I'm really not sure what exactly happened on Thursday/Friday. But that uncertainty is enough.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
While there have been a few studies done up to 7 days, 5 days is the usual effectiveness limit used for Paragard. Where are you in your cycle right now?

snackpants
Sep 3, 2009

Getting into week four, but my cycle can be a bit irregular.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

snackpants posted:

Getting into week four, but my cycle can be a bit irregular.

Hopefully you ovulated a week or more ago, but it's still possible that you haven't yet. Do you have a local PP or good OB/Gyn you can get a same-day appointment with tomorrow?

superbelch fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 27, 2013

snackpants
Sep 3, 2009

Ran out, took the pill 20-30 minutes ago - barely within 120 hours. Now it's a bit up in the air - I guess there's a first time for everything :(

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Anne Whateley posted:

Make sure the doctor knows about it? What helps me whenever I'm tense (for the dentist or anything) is to have them explain exactly what they're doing and why before they do it. If you really freak out, maybe they can hook you up with a sedative or something a little more chillout than ibuprofen. I'm positive you won't be the first to need it.

Yeah, I made sure to be up front about it. He said the nurse could be in the room if I need it too. I think that's a good idea to have them explain, I will make sure to do that. Thank you!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's awesome the nurse can be there. I bet you can also literally hold her hand if you need. The first time I got Implanon, I thought it was going to be painful, and I was alone, and the nurse who was watching just casually offered her hand for me to squeeze. I totally couldn't even feel the insertion so I wound up feeling like a total idiot, but hey, she offered! It seemed like that's a pretty normal thing for them to do.

Or if you have anyone you trust to go with you (friend, sibling, whatever) I bet they'd allow them in too if you wanted.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 27, 2013

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Anne Whateley posted:

Or if you have anyone you trust to go with you (friend, sibling, whatever) I bet they'd allow them in too if you wanted.

They were totally going to let my friend who drove me come in with me if I wanted but she was totally freaked out at the IUD idea so we decided to leave her freaky vibes in the waiting room!

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Anne Whateley posted:

That's awesome the nurse can be there. I bet you can also literally hold her hand if you need. The first time I got Implanon, I thought it was going to be painful, and I was alone, and the nurse who was watching just casually offered her hand for me to squeeze. I totally couldn't even feel the insertion so I wound up feeling like a total idiot, but hey, she offered! It seemed like that's a pretty normal thing for them to do.

My mom came with me to my Implanon appointment but if she hadn't I would have been holding the nurse's hand. I have to make another appointment to get it replaced real soon, and I might just be doing that.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Implanon question! I have an appointment to get my first Implanon put in a week from today, but I just realized when making the appointment they didn't give me any instruction on when to stop taking my BC pill (Yaz). I finished my pack yesterday and would start a new pack today. I googled it and apparently you're supposed to get Implanon within the first 5 days of your period, but, well, I'll be uninsured the next time that happens (26th birthday) so I can't do that.

I called the office to ask a) if it's ok that it's being inserted nowhere near my period, and b) if I should start my new pack or not, but apparently all of the nurses are with patients right now. I left a voicemail, but in my experience they take all drat day to return them.

I don't mind using condoms for a month (we usually do anyway, to be extra careful) but I am mostly wondering if taking the pill and getting the implant so close together would be bad for hormone/health reasons. Can anyone fill me in on their thoughts in the meantime while I wait for a callback?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I don't think it would hurt you or anything. It just might make your hormones a little wacky once you get the implant and make the transition, but they probably will be anyway if you go from no pill at all to Implanon.

The "first 5 days of your period" recommendation sounds like a way to ensure continuous protection and also a handy sign that you're probably not pregnant. Just from what I read on their website Implanon can be safely inserted anytime, it's just that if it's not in that time window they recommend you use a back-up method for 7 days after. I did a little digging in the prescribing information packet on their official website:

Prescribing info posted:

IMPLANON should preferably be inserted on the day after the last active tablet of the previous combined oral
contraceptive or on the day of the removal of the vaginal ring or transdermal patch. At the latest, IMPLANON should be
inserted on the day following the usual tablet-free, ring-free, patch-free or placebo tablet interval of the previous combined hormonal contraceptive. If inserted as recommended, back-up contraception is not necessary. If deviating from the recommended timing of
insertion, the woman should be advised to use a barrier method until 7 days after insertion.
If intercourse has already
occurred, pregnancy should be excluded.

It sounds like it's kind of like the different methods of starting the pill - one will start protecting you right off, the other won't, but they're both OK if done correctly. I'd still keep trying your doctor's office for confirmation though, that's just my (non-expert) opinion based on their info.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 2, 2013

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Thanks! That is helpful, I don't know why I didn't think to go to the actual drug's website.

I unfortunately just missed the call back from the nurse, but she left a voicemail saying that I "don't need to start the new pack, but if [ I ] plan to have intercourse [ I ] should of course use protection." Well I figured I didn't need to, I was wondering if I could... Oh well, I'll just go without. Maybe it'll be good to keep an unopened pack in the medicine cabinet in case I ever need to remove the implant early.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
Started cramping and spotting during/after workouts again. Godamnit, uterus and Mirena, I thought this was over.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

NewsGunkie posted:

Started cramping and spotting during/after workouts again. Godamnit, uterus and Mirena, I thought this was over.

It's never over. You uterus is waging a never-ending war on you for not keeping it full of babbies. :jihad:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

drat Bananas posted:

Thanks! That is helpful, I don't know why I didn't think to go to the actual drug's website.

I unfortunately just missed the call back from the nurse, but she left a voicemail saying that I "don't need to start the new pack, but if [ I ] plan to have intercourse [ I ] should of course use protection." Well I figured I didn't need to, I was wondering if I could... Oh well, I'll just go without. Maybe it'll be good to keep an unopened pack in the medicine cabinet in case I ever need to remove the implant early.

Yeah, just watch that expiration date! :)

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

drat Bananas posted:

Implanon put in a week from today

I finished my pack yesterday and would start a new pack today.

drat Bananas posted:

Oh well, I'll just go without.

Wait a minute here, do you take your placebo pills or no? If you took your last placebo yesterday (or your last day of no pill), you are no longer protected as of today, and should use backup for two weeks (one week break, one week after insertion). If you stack your packs, and took a hormone pill yesterday, then you will be safe to not use protection until insertion.

If you wanted you could begin one more pack to continue your coverage. Just don't take a pill the day of insertion because the implant is effective immediately. Assuming you're on a monophasic pill, you can save the rest of that pack as you mentioned.

Of course, I'm assuming you want to be protected the entire time. If there's no reason you need to be or are cool with condoms, do whatever you like :)

Edit: Just saw the part where you said you use condoms already. You're covered (heh) then. Don't worry about it.

Reformed Tomboy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 3, 2013

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Getting my Mirena taken out in three weeks (or maybe sooner) because after being through the ringer of doctors and blood work and X-rays, it's pretty much definitely the IUD that's making me go bald. This sucks so bad. It was amazing. :(

I don't know where to go next. Paraguard and terrible periods, Nexplanon and irregular bleeding, or the pill again with horrible mood/weight fluctuations?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Getting my Mirena taken out in three weeks (or maybe sooner) because after being through the ringer of doctors and blood work and X-rays, it's pretty much definitely the IUD that's making me go bald. This sucks so bad. It was amazing. :(

I don't know where to go next. Paraguard and terrible periods, Nexplanon and irregular bleeding, or the pill again with horrible mood/weight fluctuations?

Just as an fyi, the paragard and terrible periods thing seems a bit overblown. Me and I think all the women who have them here in the thread didn't see much of an increase.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Nexplanon is a progestin-only method like Mirena, although they're different progestins so maybe it would have a different effect. I don't know.

And although periods with Paragard can be a little rough for the first few months, in my own experience it was never something that ibuprofen and heat couldn't handle. Mine got a lot better around 6 months in. Now I'm a little bit shy of the one year mark with mine and my periods are basically back to normal. And 2 days shorter for some reason. :iiam: Of course everyone is different there, but it's not a guaranteed miserable experience.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Yo, I feel you. Had an appointment with my gyno today and she wants me to take Visanne (a not-totally-a-BC-pill progesterone based endometriosis treatment that's only been approved in Canada for the last year) for the two months leading up to my next laparoscopic surgery. One of the side effects is ovarian cysts. One of my major problems is ovarian cysts :negative:

It's been nice knowing you, reproductive system :suicide:

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

Tigntink posted:

Just as an fyi, the paragard and terrible periods thing seems a bit overblown. Me and I think all the women who have them here in the thread didn't see much of an increase.

With the Mirena I have zero periods though, which is like half the reason I'm so bummed to see it go.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tshirt Ninja posted:

With the Mirena I have zero periods though, which is like half the reason I'm so bummed to see it go.

Well if it makes you feel better, some people also lose their periods with the implant as well.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Kimmalah posted:

Well if it makes you feel better, some people also lose their periods with the implant as well.

Me me me!

Just wanna say, I have no mood swings, no periods, no cramps, no anxiety about pregnancy, no pill to remember every day, no cysts, nothing. I know I got lucky, and like most women my bleeding was wonky for the first 3 months, but I basically have an invisible, painless magic stick in my arm and now I just don't get pregnant.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

InEscape posted:

Me me me!

Just wanna say, I have no mood swings, no periods, no cramps, no anxiety about pregnancy, no pill to remember every day, no cysts, nothing. I know I got lucky, and like most women my bleeding was wonky for the first 3 months, but I basically have an invisible, painless magic stick in my arm and now I just don't get pregnant.

I've gotten cramps and irregular bleeding but being carefree about pregnancy is so worth it that I'm on my third implant!

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

fork bomb posted:

I've gotten cramps and irregular bleeding but being carefree about pregnancy is so worth it that I'm on my third implant!

Yup, irregular period suck and my mood swings have finally evened out, I just got insurance through my new job and will be making an appointment for my second implant real soon. Love not having to think about anything other than if I feel like I might need a panty liner "just in case".

My period has seriously lightened, at the very least. Sometimes it's kinda heavy but nowhere near as bad as it was before no hormones.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

InEscape posted:

Me me me!

I live a charmed life. From the day I switched to the minipill in the hopes that it and therefore the implant would agree with me, I haven't bled or cramped once. Nexplanon for life!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

ilysespieces posted:

Yup, irregular period suck and my mood swings have finally evened out, I just got insurance through my new job and will be making an appointment for my second implant real soon. Love not having to think about anything other than if I feel like I might need a panty liner "just in case".

My period has seriously lightened, at the very least. Sometimes it's kinda heavy but nowhere near as bad as it was before no hormones.
Hey, I just recognized you from the NYC thread. Are you comfortable telling me where you go? When I tried to get my last Implanon 2.5 years ago, everywhere I found in the city made it a huge pain -- I had to order it, have it sent to me, then be reimbursed by insurance -- so I wound up just going to a PP out of state where they did it normally. I need a new one again in a few months, but I'd rather do it here if there's a good office that handles it well! annewhateley at gmail if you'd rather not post publicly.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Tigntink posted:

Hey um so big news about the morning after pill. It doesn't really work if you are more than 165lbs and it REALLY doesn't work if you are more than 176lbs.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/11/plan-b-morning-after-pill-weight-limit-pounds

So uhhhhh I guess if you are above average in weight don't expect the morning after pill to be really effective.

This is probably a stupid question but does this hold true for just regular dosage birth control pills as well? :ohdear:
I mean I still use condoms with my boyfriend anyway and I'm steadily losing weight but I wouldn't want something lovely to happen if we decide to forgo the condom one night. Still looking into an IUD too.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Chiba City Blues posted:

This is probably a stupid question but does this hold true for just regular dosage birth control pills as well? :ohdear:

I'll try to find the source so that you don't have to just take my word on it, but no, the effectiveness of combined hormonal pills is not affected by your weight.

Edit: Here's a study that shows that there are some potential differences in pharmokinetics for obese vs. normal weight women but no great chance of ovulation. http://www.contraceptionjournal.org/article/S0010-7824%2810%2900017-X/abstract

Here's a review that found that most studies show no association between weight or BMI and effectiveness: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008452.pub3/abstract

Ceridwen fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 4, 2013

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Hey, I just recognized you from the NYC thread. Are you comfortable telling me where you go? When I tried to get my last Implanon 2.5 years ago, everywhere I found in the city made it a huge pain -- I had to order it, have it sent to me, then be reimbursed by insurance -- so I wound up just going to a PP out of state where they did it normally. I need a new one again in a few months, but I'd rather do it here if there's a good office that handles it well! annewhateley at gmail if you'd rather not post publicly.

Honestly, I was going to ask you where you go, because I know we live in the same area and use the same method, because I'm a creeper. I actually got my first one at an office on Long Island, as I was still living there and only in Queens on the weekends staying with the boyfriend and now that I reverse commute and work a block from that same office I'm most likely going to go back there (possibly during lunch, so I don't even have to spend any more time here than I absolutely have to).

I did have to deal with a huge hassle of the insurance company telling me everything was covered and then coming back and telling me only the office visit and pregnancy test was covered and not the implant itself, so I had to fight them for a while while staring at a bill from the gyno for ~$1k that I couldn't cover (being a student and not working).

If you're willing to take a trip out to the south shore sometime I'm more than happy to give you the office information, but I don't have anyone in Queens at the moment.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Ugh, what a pain. Last time I actually wound up taking a train to a CT PP. They took my parents' insurance, they had the implants on hand, it was zero hassle (and super cheap -- iirc I only owed a copay for the visit). I don't know why they had their poo poo so much more together than NYC PP. Now I'm on my own insurance, so I'm not totally sure what it covers, but since it's been three years, hopefully NYC PPs have wised up and maybe there's wider adoption in general.

For whatever it's worth, Beth Israel on Union Square was super nice (and a doctor there is technically my gyn). But they also wanted me to order and pay for Implanon, have it sent to me, bring it in (wtf), then deal with insurance reimbursement myself. I mean, it's doable, but way more of a hassle than I wanted to deal with. But I'll see if maybe that policy's changed in 3 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

If it hasn't changed I go to an office in Rockville Centre (by go I mean have previously went and now that I have insurance again/my 3 years are almost up I will be going again), if you can get a train that goes from Woodside to RVC without having to change at Jamaica it's an easy half hour trip.
I have to ask around (and by around I mean ask my mom) for the dr's info for myself, if you'd like I can send it over once I get it. I switched plans multiple times so hopefully that office takes my plan. I asked the insurance guy to give me a list of gynos in Sunnyside/Woodside that are covered but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

• Locked thread