Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
just gonna leave this here

http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/

this one would go well in the food photography thread. http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/post/65505225131/dinner-magic-cooking-series-presents-20-second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I stumbled upon a series of mini-docs about photographers. I like them better than some others that I've seen recently.

This one is about Amanda Jasnowski - http://vimeo.com/78412482

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype posted:

I don't think I am in any position to criticize other people's posting

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Two mailings out, one to go as soon as I know where to!

Ah, this is a good week. I learned where to print (Thanks, Execudork!) and how to package them properly for the mail.

Now, encouraged by how easy getting prints is, maybe I will try something else. First things first though: Time to take some pictures which don't scream "dark, rainy and/or depressing".

Thanks guys, it has been fun.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Maybe you should learn about printing things well before even dreaming of selling things? No? cool.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Speaking of printing, what colour calibration tools are people using on their laptops/LED monitors?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Spedman posted:

Speaking of printing, what colour calibration tools are people using on their laptops/LED monitors?

I bought an xRite i1DisplayPro (Who comes up with these shittastic names, really?) and love it to pieces. Works fine with LED displays, such as my wide gamut Asus thing whose horrible name I've forgotten again, my MacBooks and iMac. Everything is in synch now and it's glorious. It was about $200 and comes with its own software for OS X and Windows. The device itself acts as a dongle for the software so you can install it on as many machines as you'd like.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Speaking of printing, wasn't there a printing thread around here? I looked back a page and found nothing.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Santa is strapped posted:

I stumbled upon a series of mini-docs about photographers. I like them better than some others that I've seen recently.

This one is about Amanda Jasnowski - http://vimeo.com/78412482

Went to high school with Amanda. Nice girl.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That's awesome, was that in Ohio?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Santa is strapped posted:

That's awesome, was that in Ohio?

Yup. Small town north of Dayton -- not really a lot going on, ever. She really did just up and move to Brooklyn on faith she could make it there, and we were pretty excited but scared for her. Really glad she's doing well.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Maybe you should learn about printing things well before even dreaming of selling things? No? cool.

gently caress learning poo poo

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

No Gravitas posted:

Thanks guys, it has been fun.

Package arrived today. Very nice!

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
The Reykjavik Museum of Photography just posted this dreadful digital-art-is-not-photography article to their Facebook page, saying if you go beyond the technical abilities of Ansel Adams you're not a photographer, you're just a big smelly liar.

http://taylorjorjorian.wordpress.com/2013/11/03/the-photography-lie/

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

David Pratt posted:

The Reykjavik Museum of Photography just posted this dreadful digital-art-is-not-photography article to their Facebook page, saying if you go beyond the technical abilities of Ansel Adams you're not a photographer, you're just a big smelly liar.

Adams was a giant postprocessing sperg. That dude did more work on his negs that most people have ever considered doing in PS.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

quote:

The first step should be clearly and accurately defining what a photograph is. To do this lets use a dictionary, it is very hard to argue with.

I think I wrote an essay like that in 6th grade.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

David Pratt posted:

Lol the second paragraph is a loving car analogy.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

:c00l: Welcome to the big lie. :c00l:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
BRB smashing my dick and balls with a hammer because someone thinks digital photography isn't art, again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best part is the comments where someone asks if using creative modes on cameras is okay, and the author says it's fine because they "don’t do anything you couldn’t do by manually changing settings on your camera or using specific types of film."

The hypocrisy flies about a mile over their head.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Taylor J.
Photographic Artist

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whitezombi posted:

Taylor J.
Photographic Artist

I can see why he's mad though, as all his photos could literally be the result of photoshop plugins.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Does he paint and then photograph it? I''m lazy and don't want to read any more of his poo poo.

(Straight up photography-No computer manipulation)

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 6, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Taylor Jojorian posted:

I wanted to express a subject with the same level of freedom that a painter or sculptor has. To do this I was forced to rethink the way in which I viewed photography and explore different ways to use the camera as a tool for self-expression.

This has ultimately resulted in the development of a new philosophical approach and technique for making photographs, which I call my “Liberum Method.” Liberum is a Latin word meaning free and unrestricted. I think that simple definition fully embodies what my work is all about, having the freedom to imagine a subject and then manifest that vision into something the camera can capture.
BUT NO PHOTOSHOP :argh:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

BUT NO PHOTOSHOP :argh:

I only use Jasc Paint Shop Pro. poo poo's kvlt as gently caress.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

aliencowboy posted:

I only use Jasc Paint Shop Pro. poo poo's kvlt as gently caress.

GIMP

GET ON MY LEVEL SCRUBLORD.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
True Norwegian photo editing.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Whitezombi posted:

Taylor J.
Photographic Artist

that was my favorite part too

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

David Pratt posted:

Wow that is one of the worst things I've ever read.

Enjoy your economic collapse Iceland, you now deserve it.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Cool, I love reading opinion pieces from some angst-ridden high school art nerd.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

deaders posted:

opinion pieces from some angst-ridden high school art nerd.

dorkroomposts.txt

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
http://cjchilvers.com/blog/2013/12/06/how-to-make-perfect-photos?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed

Clearly we should all just be photo journalists with iPhones.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

How is posting a photo by the official Whitehouse photographer making a point about technique and equipment? The dude that took that photo had decades of photojournalist experience and most certainly the finest 35mm camera money could buy at the time (Nikon F).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Well, I've got the dodgy gear and bad technique down, all I need now is to be on hand at a world changing event. Hope there's nobody else there with a camera who can use it better than me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What do I put in the search box on keh's website to order a world changing event?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

"Here's a few more I can't show you, due to copyright limitations."

These all link to wikipedia. He's a loving moron.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

8th-snype posted:

How is posting a photo by the official Whitehouse photographer making a point about technique and equipment? The dude that took that photo had decades of photojournalist experience and most certainly the finest 35mm camera money could buy at the time (Nikon F).

Yeah, and there's also a shot made by a custom-manufactured Hasselblad setup (the best any amount of money could buy), an available-light large format shot of a moving subject (which would have been near state of the art at the time), a Graflex press camera (standard professional equipment at the time), and the photo of the Hindenburg exploding was done on a Leica.

The only photo in there done on consumer-level gear is the Abu Ghraib photo I think.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Dickwad Mcblogger posted:

Most of these photographs were made with very primitive and beat up equipment. Some were made with a wooden box. None of the cameras used for these photos would do well in a review these days.

Actually, all of those camera would probably get bang up reviews these days because we live in a time where Portra 400 exists and old film cameras are still hella good. *drops mic*

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

The only photo in there done on consumer-level gear is the Abu Ghraib photo I think.

I disagree.

The depth of field on that one looks like medium format to me. (If not 4x5.)

You could ague the use of the Brenizer method with a digital SLR. However, to me the grain looks just like my scans of 6x7 portra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
What a funny post I laughed after reading it you should post more.