Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lofty132 posted:

She is 8 months old, we have two cats. The other is 3 years old. Dolly is being a pain when she goes out. The older cat makes short trips on the yard wall before coming back, Dolly is capable of scaling the wall yet routinely ends up in a neighbours yard and won't return, crying until she can see one of us. We give the cats treats when they return and the older one comes back immediately when she hears the box of treats being shaken. Dolly is not taken in by such a ruse. The problem is she causes so much aggro in the house if she isn't let outside for a little while it seems cruel to keep her in, but her behaviour is becoming a problem.

She uses the 'lost crying kitten' act on strangers to get taken in and given milk etc, if I was to respond to her crying and went to find her she would simply stop crying and watch me from an unreachable perch. Is there a tactic to combat that?

If it were me I'd just keep her inside and give her lots of love and treats and play with her a lot until she got used to being inside. It's not cruel to keep a cat inside in theory, especially if they're young enough to get used to it. That said, if you want to let her out a bit but don't want her escaping, you can let her out on a harness for a while. Then she can still run around and sniff things and chase stuff, but she can't get out of your sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

GabrielAisling posted:

Name your cats?
i cant reveal my cats identities

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway to stop a cat from picking at a scab?

My retarded 6 month old somehow injured himself along his mouth, almost from corner to corner along his jaw, its scabbed over multiple times but he keeps scratching it off.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Alteisen posted:

My retarded 6 month old somehow injured himself along his mouth, almost from corner to corner along his jaw, its scabbed over multiple times but he keeps scratching it off.

Cone.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My sister got a cat (despite being allergic):

Polydactyl and extremely social, my nephews birthday was this weekend and we where and the kitten got moved from lap to lap and it didn't care a bit about all the strange people handling and petting it. It has really cool and weird coloring I have not seen before on a cat, seen from behind the tips of both ears are orange.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

parthenocarpy posted:

i cant reveal my cats identities
Alice, Babette and Carol*

*Names changed to protect the innocent.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Yup, cone.

And His Divine Shadow, congrats to your sister! I was allergic when we adopted cats, but I eventually got used to them. It just takes time and exposure... and allergy medicine to mitigate the runny nose for a while.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Polydactyl and extremely social, my nephews birthday was this weekend and we where and the kitten got moved from lap to lap and it didn't care a bit about all the strange people handling and petting it. It has really cool and weird coloring I have not seen before on a cat, seen from behind the tips of both ears are orange.

Marzipan has the orange ears and spotty thing going on too. It was the reason I picked her at the shelter! :)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
So, to sum up at the start, I need a suggestion for something to keep my cats away from the door.

Here's the backstory: A few weeks ago, very suddenly and after having shown no inclination to do so previously, my longhair Valentina got out one night and ran away. I would see her outside with the other feral cats in the colony from which I adopted her, but she wouldn't let me come near her and I gave up trying to get her back while assuming that her feral instincts had reasserted themselves and she didn't want to be a housecat anymore. A few weeks ago, I saw her outside and noticed that her once very fluffy tail had been mangled; most likely she was curled up in a parked car for warmth and someone started it up, causing her tail to get shredded in a fan or belt. I was very upset but couldn't do much as she wouldn't let me handle her. Yesterday morning, my neighbour came by holding her in her arms, and I took her and put her back inside. She seemed frightened but also seemed to still remember my apartment, and she did eat a bit and let me touch her some as well. Despite the state of her tail, she didn't seem to be in pain. I had my neighbour take her to the pet hospital and they are going to amputate 3/4 of her tail, but the surgeon assures me that it's a relatively short recovery and it shouldn't cause her any great physical impediment. While I'm glad that she isn't as badly off as I had feared and I am thrilled to have her back, I obviously don't want this to happen again.

I've been using a stack of those tension-mounted baby fences to keep my cats away from the door when I go out, but those are obviously a huge inconvenience. There's a power outlet right by the door, and I was wondering if there was any sort of product that I could plug in there that would keep my cats away from the entranceway. It would only need a range of a few feet. People talk a lot about SSSCat, but I don't think that they make a plug-in version and the "gas duster with a motion sensor" really isn't what I need.

If anyone has any suggestions for products, I'm all ears. Spending 5 minutes putting up those barriers every time I go out is going to get old fast. I have to stack 3 of them all the way to the ceiling to make sure that my furry little buggers don't climb over them.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 27, 2013

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

So, to sum up at the start, I need a suggestion for something to keep my cats away from the door.

Here's the backstory: A few weeks ago, very suddenly and after having shown no inclination to do so previously, my longhair Valentina got out one night and ran away. I would see her outside with the other feral cats in the colony from which I adopted her, but she wouldn't let me come near her and I gave up trying to get her back while assuming that her feral instincts had reasserted themselves and she didn't want to be a housecat anymore. A few weeks ago, I saw her outside and noticed that her once very fluffy tail had been mangled; most likely she was curled up in a parked car for warmth and someone started it up, causing her tail to get shredded in a fan or belt. I was very upset but couldn't do much as she wouldn't let me handle her. Yesterday morning, my neighbour came by holding her in her arms, and I took her and put her back inside. She seemed frightened but also seemed to still remember my apartment, and she did eat a bit and let me touch her some as well. Despite the state of her tail, she didn't seem to be in pain. I had my neighbour take her to the pet hospital and they are going to amputate 3/4 of her tail, but the surgeon assures me that it's a relatively short recovery and it shouldn't cause her any great physical impediment. While I'm glad that she isn't as badly off as I had feared and I am thrilled to have her back, I obviously don't want this to happen again.

I've been using a stack of those tension-mounted baby fences to keep my cats away from the door when I go out, but those are obviously a huge inconvenience. There's a power outlet right by the door, and I was wondering if there was any sort of product that I could plug in there that would keep my cats away from the entranceway. It would only need a range of a few feet. People talk a lot about SSSCat, but I don't think that they make a plug-in version and the "gas duster with a motion sensor" really isn't what I need.

If anyone has any suggestions for products, I'm all ears. Spending 5 minutes putting up those barriers every time I go out is going to get old fast. I have to stack 3 of them all the way to the ceiling to make sure that my furry little buggers don't climb over them.

There are motion-activated cans of compressed air (Ssscat! Is one brand but there are knockoffs now) that will deter your cat by giving a big puff of air whenever she comes near the door.

You can put down those plastic mats that you put under your office chair. Get the kind that are meant for carpeted floors as they will have spikes on the underside. Place it down spike-side up in front of the door and cats will typically avoid that kind of surface.

You can also purchase Scat Mats, which will give your cat a shock whenever she walks on it.

Depending on your cat's nature, you can do what my husband and I did and convince that the door is evil incarnate. When we adopted our cats, they were vaguely interested in the door and we wanted to make sure they would be discouraged from following us out. What we did was step outside, count to three, the bang the everloving bajeezus out of the door. That sent them skittering away and we repeated it several times for the first few weeks we owned them. Now they jump away any time we reach for the doorhandle. Your cat might not give a gently caress, but this worked for us.

Good luck! I'm sorry your cat got injured during her adventures, but I'm glad she's back with you. Try and make sure she has plenty of toys around the house to keep her entertained, although some cats are just born to try and escape no matter how awesome the home that is offered to them.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Teehee I might try that door trick. Hugo and Decoy are allowed out during daylight hours if we are home, but every time we open the front door Hugo is waiting right behind it to dart out without his collar.

Another thing you could try is train your cat it come to the sound of a clicker. Cram that foofy face with treats or ham or something every time you click it. Both my cats come running from wherever they are outside when they hear the clicker, its how I call them in at night. Even Hugo, who is dumb as a sack of hammers, has figured it out. (Note if you do this it will probably complicate any attempts to clicker train her to do any other tricks)

Edit: also it probably wasn't reasserted feral instincts - cats are just dicks about being approached outside. Even Decoy rarely lets me go and pick him up when he's tumbling about in the garden - it's all a big game and he sprints away. (It's kind of weird she didn't come back when life got uncomfortable though. Maybe because she never usually went outside she wasn't sure where her home was? I dunno)

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 27, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Tamarillo posted:

Teehee I might try that door trick. Hugo and Decoy are allowed out during daylight hours if we are home, but every time we open the front door Hugo is waiting right behind it to dart out without his collar.

Another thing you could try is train your cat it come to the sound of a clicker. Cram that foofy face with treats or ham or something every time you click it. Both my cats come running from wherever they are outside when they hear the clicker, its how I call them in at night. Even Hugo, who is dumb as a sack of hammers, has figured it out. (Note if you do this it will probably complicate any attempts to clicker train her to do any other tricks)

Edit: also it probably wasn't reasserted feral instincts - cats are just dicks about being approached outside. Even Decoy rarely lets me go and pick him up when he's tumbling about in the garden - it's all a big game and he sprints away. (It's kind of weird she didn't come back when life got uncomfortable though. Maybe because she never usually went outside she wasn't sure where her home was? I dunno)

We'll see. She was a feral for 3-4 months and only lived with me for 3 months before she broke out, so maybe, maybe not. I have no desire, though, to let any of my trio be indoor-outdoor cats. The people who live in my building are mostly complete fuckwads who think that cats are vermin, and I think that they are lower than vermin.

I'll keep in mind the suggestions. I don't want to put a mat down because that would also be uncomfortable for me. I think that I saw somewhere a device that plugs in and emits a sound that's outside of human hearing range but that cats hate. It plugs into the wall and would be ideal if it works as advertised (big "if", granted). SSSCat no doubt works, but having that can sitting in the entranceway would be something of an obstruction, but a device up a bit and flush against the wall is exactly what I need.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
I bought this from PETCO for my 1 year old kitten.

I walked away to put something back in the kitchen and noticed the ribbons were gone when I returned. I fear my kitten may have ate them (her claws are very sharp). Should I take her to the vet, or am I being paranoid?

edit: On the phone with the vet now.

diadem fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 27, 2013

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
At the vet ER now.

Why would PETCO sell toys that aren't safe?!

diadem fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 28, 2013

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Aww. Polydactyl kitties are the best. Mostly because my cat is polydactyl ergo they are all great :3: He is just gorgeous. Lookit that giant paw in the first pic, complete with thumb! Expect that to likely be a fairly clumsy kitty. Or my cat could just be clumsy regardless of her paw size.

Tell your sister to watch out for ingrown claws on those thumbs, and make sure she knows that she should really keep them regularly trimmed because it will make everyone's life easier.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Got a cat problem.

Toby has stopped eating - he ate on Tuesday night as normal and although he had a few biscuits on Wednesday, he just wasn't interested in his normal meals. Won't eat this morning either.

He took a piss Wednesday morning and had a normal-looking (but abnormally small) poop Wednesday night. Nothing since. No signs of vomit anywhere (he's a housecat, so we'd know).

We suspect he just has a cold or something, because he's been very lethargic over the past few days anyway (despite eating normally). He has FIV+ so we know it'll take longer for him to recover from a cold. But should he have stopped eating? I don't know what the symptoms are of catcold.

My worry is that he's eaten some inanimate object somewhere, but I can't think what.

Edit: he's also been doing a lot of licking over the past few days too (of his fur in general). He fur does seem a little less silky than usual, which I attribute to having a cold, and maybe that makes him want to lick it, but there's nothing else about it or his skin that seems out of the ordinary.

Edit edit: OK, I did some searching and now I'm thinking less likely a cold. There's been no eye or nasal discharge and no sneezing :confused: Maybe he has eaten something wrong... might have to be a vet visit.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 28, 2013

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
My cat has this small lump on the side of his jaw. It feels almost like a pimple but with no head. When I gently touch it he doesn't seem to be in great distress, but if I put any pressure on it he squirms so I've left it alone. It's been there a while now and doesn't seem to be going away, but nor does it seem to be getting any bigger. His behavior hasn't changed and he doesn't seem to be in pain, and it hasn't oozed or leaked or anything. What's up with that? He's 12, indoor/outdoor (comes and goes pretty much as he pleases), he's a healthy weight and he has never had a single health issue in his life.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

That's a tortoiseshell tabby cat. :)

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

My cat has this small lump on the side of his jaw. It feels almost like a pimple but with no head. When I gently touch it he doesn't seem to be in great distress, but if I put any pressure on it he squirms so I've left it alone. It's been there a while now and doesn't seem to be going away, but nor does it seem to be getting any bigger. His behavior hasn't changed and he doesn't seem to be in pain, and it hasn't oozed or leaked or anything. What's up with that? He's 12, indoor/outdoor (comes and goes pretty much as he pleases), he's a healthy weight and he has never had a single health issue in his life.

older cats develop subcutaneous lumps sometimes and they're more often than not totally benign. when they're on the head they're just easier to feel because there's just skull and no soft tissue. try to remember how big it is now (write down an estimate if you're worried and put it somewhere you won't lose it), and check it every week or so. my cat will be 20 next year and she has a big lump on her left temple which developed quite quickly, like over the course of a year and a half (it's about 6mm across and 3mm high), and we had it needle biopsied and it's just a random old cat lump. it's stayed the same size for a year now, and it doesn't bother her. putting pressure on his jaw probably isn't the lump speaking, it's just him being outraged at being poked instead of scratched. mittens had a completely benign tumour on one of her mammary glands 6 years ago and she was totally unconcerned by it until i found it and started crying and squeezing it and insisted that she would die of cat boob cancer. the tumour didn't hurt her and it wasn't tender, it was when i manipulated it too much and squeezed it too hard that she became upset because i was messing about with the surrounding tissue too much, if that makes sense. so it's probably not the lump that is temder, it's the enthusiastically caring and paranoid prodding that makes the lumpy area tender

if it grows quickly over the next month or couple of months you should take him to the vet if you're worried or if he starts scratching his chin too vigourously. if he develops more lumps it could be acne or an allergy to food or something in the house. benign and malignant tumours are often itchy as they grow, don't freak out. plus it could always just be a boil. if it's a boil squeezing it and touching it too much won't help, same with acne. when you check it just use the gentle touches you're doing now. when we have lumps grow on our skin we don't immediately freak out and assume we have skin cancer, so try to relax when it comes to the pussycat as well. this is a lesson i need to remember as well, it's easier to give advice than to follow your own :)

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 28, 2013

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

Got a cat problem.

Toby has stopped eating - he ate on Tuesday night as normal and although he had a few biscuits on Wednesday, he just wasn't interested in his normal meals. Won't eat this morning either.

He took a piss Wednesday morning and had a normal-looking (but abnormally small) poop Wednesday night. Nothing since. No signs of vomit anywhere (he's a housecat, so we'd know).

We suspect he just has a cold or something, because he's been very lethargic over the past few days anyway (despite eating normally). He has FIV+ so we know it'll take longer for him to recover from a cold. But should he have stopped eating? I don't know what the symptoms are of catcold.

My worry is that he's eaten some inanimate object somewhere, but I can't think what.

Edit: he's also been doing a lot of licking over the past few days too (of his fur in general). He fur does seem a little less silky than usual, which I attribute to having a cold, and maybe that makes him want to lick it, but there's nothing else about it or his skin that seems out of the ordinary.

Edit edit: OK, I did some searching and now I'm thinking less likely a cold. There's been no eye or nasal discharge and no sneezing :confused: Maybe he has eaten something wrong... might have to be a vet visit.

If he still isn't eating, I'd go with a vet visit. You can try to warm up some wet food or just offer him a favorite treat to entice his appetite. Cats should not go too long without eating. The last time my cat stopped eating it was because he had an impacted anal gland (fun, let me tell you what) so it usually is the symptom of something going on.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

Fruity Gordo posted:

older cats develop subcutaneous lumps sometimes and they're more often than not totally benign. when they're on the head they're just easier to feel because there's just skull and no soft tissue. try to remember how big it is now (write down an estimate if you're worried and put it somewhere you won't lose it), and check it every week or so. my cat will be 20 next year and she has a big lump on her left temple which developed quite quickly, like over the course of a year and a half (it's about 6mm across and 3mm high), and we had it needle biopsied and it's just a random old cat lump. it's stayed the same size for a year now, and it doesn't bother her. putting pressure on his jaw probably isn't the lump speaking, it's just him being outraged at being poked instead of scratched. mittens had a completely benign tumour on one of her mammary glands 6 years ago and she was totally unconcerned by it until i found it and started crying and squeezing it and insisted that she would die of cat boob cancer. the tumour didn't hurt her and it wasn't tender, it was when i manipulated it too much and squeezed it too hard that she became upset because i was messing about with the surrounding tissue too much, if that makes sense. so it's probably not the lump that is temder, it's the enthusiastically caring and paranoid prodding that makes the lumpy area tender

if it grows quickly over the next month or couple of months you should take him to the vet if you're worried or if he starts scratching his chin too vigourously. if he develops more lumps it could be acne or an allergy to food or something in the house. benign and malignant tumours are often itchy as they grow, don't freak out. plus it could always just be a boil. if it's a boil squeezing it and touching it too much won't help, same with acne. when you check it just use the gentle touches you're doing now. when we have lumps grow on our skin we don't immediately freak out and assume we have skin cancer, so try to relax when it comes to the pussycat as well. this is a lesson i need to remember as well, it's easier to give advice than to follow your own :)

I figured it was something like that! Thanks.

Rah
Mar 9, 2006
I have a kitten already and I'm planning to get another one. I've had my kitten Sophie for about a month now and she's around 10/11 weeks old (I was told she was 8 weeks from the people I got her from, but when I took her to the vets a week later for her vaccinations, the vet said she only looked around 7 weeks old at the time).

My main concern is how to introduce them to each other safely, without causing any fights or anything. The kitten I'm thinking of getting is 11 weeks old, so there wont be much, if any, difference in size, and I'm hoping at that age they wont have much trouble getting along with each other. I'd also rather not keep them in separate rooms, because I don't think it'd be fair for one of them to be in a room on her own for long periods of time, since it'd be difficult to spend an equal amount of time around both when they're separated.

I'm at home a lot of the time, so could supervise them while they're getting to know each other. I'm just wondering people's opinions on it. Would it be ok for me to introduce them straight away as long as I'm there to make sure the playing and stuff doesn't get too rough?

Also, another of my concerns is scaring the new kitten. I remember when I got Sophie and she was a little scared at first and just wanted to hide... And I'd hate for the other kitten to feel all scared and want to hide, but then Sophie starts chasing it around and making it feel even worse.

Bonus pic of my little baby, Sophie :)

Rah fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 29, 2013

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Sophie's little black nose is so goddamn cute it's criminal.

Anyway, this is the exact same situation I had with my two cats. I had Decoy the ghetto kitten for a month before Hugo the prissy purebred arrived. I started out by letting Hugo out to explore on his own, and then introduced Decoy by putting him in his cage so Hugo could approach him for a sniff.

First contact:

Then after they failed to turn into super screaming puffballs of rage I pretty much just let them roam around the same area with constant supervision, because kittens aren't as prone to being as butthurt about new additions as adult cats. There was quite a bit of carry on that looked like squabbling and I wasted a lot of time being an :qq: ANXIOUS NEW CAT HAVER :qq: worrying about it, but it really was just playfighting. They chase each other around just as much at nearly 2 years old.

If it's anything like my experience, they'll be wary for a bit but will get over it pretty quickly. This happened within a few days of them being together:

edit: Oh, I did lock Hugo in a room for the first night. He let out piercing kitten wails for most of it (in hindsight it was his first night being alone). The next night I let him sleep with us and Decoy and no monstering occurred.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 29, 2013

Rah
Mar 9, 2006

Tamarillo posted:

Anyway, this is the exact same situation I had with my two cats. I had Decoy the ghetto kitten for a month before Hugo the prissy purebred arrived. I started out by letting Hugo out to explore on his own, and then introduced Decoy by putting him in his cage so Hugo could approach him for a sniff.

First contact:

Then after they failed to turn into super screaming puffballs of rage I pretty much just let them roam around the same area with constant supervision, because kittens aren't as prone to being as butthurt about new additions as adult cats. There was quite a bit of carry on that looked like squabbling and I wasted a lot of time being an :qq: ANXIOUS NEW CAT HAVER :qq: worrying about it, but it really was just playfighting. They chase each other around just as much at nearly 2 years old.

If it's anything like my experience, they'll be wary for a bit but will get over it pretty quickly. This happened within a few days of them being together:

Thanks! That's very reassuring :) And it's Sophie's little black nose that made me fall in love with her when I saw her. One of her sisters looked very similar but with a white nose instead. I wish I'd got one of her sisters too at the same time, but at the time I was planning to only get 1 kitten.. But now I really think Sophie needs a sister to play fight with, so she might leave my hands and arms alone for once! I have so many scratches it's unbelievable..

And I have to say, your cats are really gorgeous too! :)

Rah
Mar 9, 2006
Well, I decided not to get the other kitten after all. The one I was thinking of getting.. It was cute, but I didn't have the same feeling of falling in love with it as soon as I saw it like I did with Sophie. I still plan to get another kitten, but I want to find the perfect one rather than just getting one I'm not 100% sure about..

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Rah posted:

Well, I decided not to get the other kitten after all. The one I was thinking of getting.. It was cute, but I didn't have the same feeling of falling in love with it as soon as I saw it like I did with Sophie. I still plan to get another kitten, but I want to find the perfect one rather than just getting one I'm not 100% sure about..

Obligatory "your kitten is gorgeous" here first off. If you're going to get another though, do it fairly quickly as the older Sophie gets the more difficult the integration is likely to be. And get something roughly the same age so one isn't too dominated or beat up on.

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!
On the subject of introducing cats, I thought we did it succesfully with Arthur (4 year old in/outdoor) and now 7 month old Benjamin.

Benjamin would dominate when we first got him, initiate play fighting and rabbit kick Arthur in the face with his hind legs, be the first one at the food bowls and if he wasn't he'd just muscle his face in so Arthur was pushed out. Now I wasn't happy about Benjamin bossing Arthur around, but A Cat has started fighting back, but they are regular and unprovoked attacks.

Before B Cat would playfight with A Cat, but now A Cat just walks over, hisses and bites his ears/face and bats him.

Is there anything I can do to help them get on? I apprecuate there aren't going to be kitten piles any time soon, but I'd really like it if they didn't appear to be so hostile toward each other. It's mainly the hissing and plotted attacks from Arthur that I'm worried about.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Just spent a half hour making special renal diet food for my cat that he refuses to touch. Ironically, the healthy cat was interested in it. The diet is more rice than anything else, so I can't blame him. What I don't understand is why I need so much rice with turkey when I don't need it with pork or chicken? Is turkey lower in fat? Anyways, god this is a pain.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Maximusi posted:

Just spent a half hour making special renal diet food for my cat that he refuses to touch. Ironically, the healthy cat was interested in it. The diet is more rice than anything else, so I can't blame him. What I don't understand is why I need so much rice with turkey when I don't need it with pork or chicken? Is turkey lower in fat? Anyways, god this is a pain.

Why are you making him food? Don't they sell special rx foods for cats with renal issues?

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
I went to petsit my friend's cats today and it just reminded me how lucky I am that Butts turned out to be hypoallergenic. What a magical animal. :3:

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
They do, but they all contain low-quality ingredients and chicken, which my cat cannot really tolerate. I'm using Balanceit.com which my vet recommended, but there's no way I'm going to get my cat to eat a pile of rice.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

KKKlean Energy posted:

Got a cat problem.

Well it's definitely a good job we went to the vet. He saw right away that Toby was jaundiced, and referred us straight to a nearby animal hospital, where he was kept overnight for blood tests and IV feeding. The tests showed that his blood hemoglobin was at 10%, near critical (should have been 30%) and that the cells were being destroyed by something. What exactly we'll never know without doing scans and biopsies (could have been any of a number of things, like cancer or blood parasites) but given that he was FIV+ we think it was almost certainly Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia, suddenly triggered by the FIV, and there's no way he could go on with it. At least he wasn't suffering - just really drowsy and lethargic.

I'm so so glad we adopted him though - if his time was limited then he was really fortunate to get to spend his last year of his short life with us. Such a pretty cat, but so unlucky.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

Well it's definitely a good job we went to the vet. He saw right away that Toby was jaundiced, and referred us straight to a nearby animal hospital, where he was kept overnight for blood tests and IV feeding. The tests showed that his blood hemoglobin was at 10%, near critical (should have been 30%) and that the cells were being destroyed by something. What exactly we'll never know without doing scans and biopsies (could have been any of a number of things, like cancer or blood parasites) but given that he was FIV+ we think it was almost certainly Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia, suddenly triggered by the FIV, and there's no way he could go on with it. At least he wasn't suffering - just really drowsy and lethargic.

I'm so so glad we adopted him though - if his time was limited then he was really fortunate to get to spend his last year of his short life with us. Such a pretty cat, but so unlucky.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for caring for Toby and giving him a great romp for the time he was given.

He is very handsome in his bow tie.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

KKKlean Energy posted:

He looks just like my Prima. Thank you for giving him a good but short life, and my condolences on your loss.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Such a good catte. Sorry, duder. :smith:

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
We're getting our second cat tomorrow as a little sister to Harvey so here's a picture of him being majestic as gently caress:

And here's one my housemate snapped when she came to wake me up in the morning:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Hmm, kind of surprised there isn't a specific thread for this (if there is, please call me a blind idiot and ridicule me before pointing me in the right direction) but can anyone give me a vet recommendation? I just moved up to Manassas, Virgina (20109 zip) and it's about time for my two cats to have their yearly check-up, but nobody I live with knows anything about the ones up here. So can anyone tell me who you use in that area if you think they're good?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Tamarillo posted:

First contact:

edit: Oh, I did lock Hugo in a room for the first night. He let out piercing kitten wails for most of it (in hindsight it was his first night being alone). The next night I let him sleep with us and Decoy and no monstering occurred.

A taste of things to come for your kittens:

I should post more photos when I get a chance.

Quick story: Got the left one (Jakuma) from a local non-kill shelter. He and his brother had been there for about 6 months after being rescued from a hoarder. He hadn't been well socialized so it took him about two weeks to start to feel comfortable in my bedroom, but by a month he was following me around and living up to Siamese/Tonkinese traits.

I went back for his brother who refused to stop peeing on the bed/pooping in the tub despite my best efforts (several litter boxes, litter options, feliaway, etc). He didn't seem particularly stressed at home but I imagine he just didn't like me or something else that was around. Unfortunately, I took him back to the shelter where I knew he would at least be safe. The brother is just like Jakuma but blue point and white/platinum vs champagne. I'm sure he'll find a good home in due time.

I went looking for another cat to keep Jakama company and found the right, Musa. A younger 8 month kitten with a Siamese mother. I kept Musa in the bathroom for only a few hours before the cats made it very clear they wanted to see each other and be friends. They hit it off almost immediately and have been good friends romping around.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 30, 2013

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else here use CatGenie? I've found of all of the above cats, it actually seems to be the perferred option and can only say how awesome it is. I do wonder if anyone has tried using millet instead of the default granules though? The comments I see reading other forums are mixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

A taste of things to come for your kittens:

I should post more photos when I get a chance.

Yes, more photos are always good.

And yeah, those were babby shots. My two boys are nearly 2 years old now, though they're not nearly so cuddly at your cats. Mine start off cuddling which invariably leads to licking which in turn leads to playful chomps at the throat which leads to a full on squalling wrestling match. When they do sleep together it's usually in this fatty yin-yang situation (which is also short lived due to Hugo throwing fits over not having enough space and bunny-kicking Decoy off the bed):

It really is more of a one cat sized bed.